Had anyone done the Yukon expedition and white pass scenic railway?

azbeachbum2016

We are trying to choose our excursion on our Alaska cruise in September. One of the things we are looking at doing is the 8hour tour Yukon expedition and white pass scenic railway. We ride the bus up have lunch and shop and then take the train back down. Have you done this? Is it worth the $200? Or should we do the train only white pass scenic railway which is 3.5 hours and we never get off the train. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are trying to choose our excursion on our Alaska cruise in September. One of the things we are looking at doing is the 8hour tour Yukon expedition and white pass scenic railway. We ride the bus up have lunch and shop and then take the train back down. Have you done this? Is it worth the $200? Or should we do the train only white pass scenic railway which is 3.5 hours and we never get off the train. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did this last year on the Coral, we booked directly with the White pass railway and it cost us less than the ships tour. Plus we were right at the back of the train, with better views. we fought the morning train up, & then a private mini bus took us into the Yukon for lunch then back down to the port. The guide was fantastic and very accommodating & knowledgeable. I would recommend this tour to anybody.

I went r/t on the train and it was wonderful! Majestic views and you can stand outside the back of each train car. I got incredible video and still shots. We were able to also go dog sled riding and had time to spend in Skagway with lunch at the Red Onion Saloon. Really fun day. :)

This tour is the next best thing to a float plane view of Alaska. We have done both the train - bus tour as well as the round trip train. We reallly enjoyed both experiences. Take along bug repellent for photo op stops.:D

I have not done the combo tour but I have done the bus RT, the train RT 2x and driven a car.

I think a combination would be good. You may want to check out Chilkoot tours: https://chilkootcharters.com - they may be cheaper then cruise line.

We used Chilkoot tours and I would highly recommend them. We took the van up and the train on the way back. Fantastic tour guide and one of my favorite tours ever. I plan on booking it again on our next Alaska cruise.

• Like 1

Even better. We took the train up and then got dropped off to take a seven mile hike in the woods to another place where the train picked us up. Terrific experience that really let you see and know the flora, fauna and waterways. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We took the ship tour taking the train up and then the bus and Yukon experience back. The train trip was great but the a simple bus ride down would have been enough. The last time we went, we rented a car and drove it up through the pass, on into Canada (passport is required) and to Carcross, Yukon Territory. The car trip was great but we were glad to have taken the train first.

I went r/t on the train and it was wonderful! Majestic views and you can stand outside the back of each train car. I got incredible video and still shots. We were able to also go dog sled riding and had time to spend in Skagway with lunch at the Red Onion Saloon. Really fun day. :)

I agree with you it was great.

Tony

We just did this tour last week, and it was the highlight of our cruise. Instead of riding the train back down we actually rode it up and then the tour guide picked us up at the top and took us to lunch, among several other stops on the way down.

We saw bears twice, one just after passing customs at the top and then a mom and two cubs were eating dandelions on the side of the road on our way back down. After all the cruise dining (including specialty restaurants) the lunch was my boyfriend's favorite meal.

Insect repellent is an absolute must on this tour, we were literally swarmed by mosquito at the lunch stop. This is a very long day but 100% worth the cost, and I would book early. There were four bus fulls of people going on the tour from our ship, and we ran into others on-board afterward who were wishing they'd bought tickets.

Initially I was dying to go on the first class train car tour, but decided on this to save some money. I am SO GLAD we made that choice because the other tours would not have even brushed the scenery surface.

100_0361.jpg.5a17f5a0e10cb7b7494f18acb42b5b4b.jpg

100_0319.jpg.5608f9ff9e0dfa02e0108406abf094a8.jpg

100_0390.jpg.a0c8c19365f5c0f7f406c0e886ee1f18.jpg

100_0329.jpg.84e5e0ff2092577644d8dc24052dd7b8.jpg

100_0365.jpg.1a3a3fe1250a549518c1e899bd1105d0.jpg

Crown Princess was delayed leaving Vancouver 5/6 for 4 hrs due to Security/Customs lines with 3 ships in port...caused Capt to miss entry into channel for Glacier Bay the scheduled day. He changed itinerary which caused people with excursions to be at ports on different days than original itinerary.

We did go to Glacier Bay and everywhere else with gorgeous weather. People with ship tours got refunded and rescheduled. Don't know what happened with others. ...

azbeachbum2016 we booked through Princess. Our tour description said we would be riding the bus up, train down. I was happy we booked through Princess because the tour ended just 15 minutes before All Aboard. Two passengers didn't make it back in time from whatever they were up to.

Thanks shredie! In the picture of our second bear spotting, there is a man outside of his vehicle trying to get a better shot of the nearby cubs. :eek:

azbeachbum2016 we booked through Princess. Our tour description said we would be riding the bus up, train down. I was happy we booked through Princess because the tour ended just 15 minutes before All Aboard. Two passengers didn't make it back in time from whatever they were up to.

Thanks shredie! In the picture of our second bear spotting, there is a man outside of his vehicle trying to get a better shot of the nearby cubs. :eek:

I agree with all previous posters - it is the best tour ever! I would recommend going with Princess on this particular tour. It's a long way, two different forms of transport and the weather can change at the drop of a hat. Whatever you decide, it'll be worth the money. You'll talk about this tour for years.

Hi,weve booked this tour in sept thru Princess as its only a few dollars more than Chilkoot and the train comes right up to the ship.Another bonus for us Brits is weve prepaid OBC at $1.538 to the GBP when the market rate is around 1.44,so that makes the Princess excursion cheaper for us than Chilkoot,cheers,Brian.

We also did this excursion thru Chilkoot. Train up, van (not a big bus) back. The trip and service was fantastic. But you have to do what it comfortable for you.:) The lunch was very good and the Princess excursion people were there also.

Chilkoot provided the van to the train station and we got aboard. They were waiting for us right at the gate, very close to where the Princess train is. Hint, sit on the left hand side if you train up.:D

I would check their cancellation policy due to CU64's post.

Princess and Chilkoot each use different cars on the train. Princess cars are packed, Chilkoot have enough empty seats that you can move around for the best sights. From the Chilkoot FAQ: "What happens if our ship is late arriving in Skagway? ... We will still be there to meet you when you arrive to discuss options and alternatives so by all means make contact with us at the dock to avoid forfeiting payment. If the ship arrives too late to accommodate you on your tour we will refund you in full."

We were on the same excursion/bus as "tweetie" last Thursday.....totally agree that is was more than worth the money. We booked with Princess and glad we did due to length of trip, changing weather conditions, etc. We rarely book a ship excursion but felt it was worth extra few dollars to book this one with Princess.

Agree that if you are riding the train up sit on "left" side and riding train down sit on "right" side!! All of the views are on this side of the train...other side sees the side of a hill.

Our bus driver was wonderful and stopped many extra times for bears, scenery and special vistas. She also regaled us with stories, history, flora and fauna information, etc. during the entire trip.

Edited by basor

We took the train up and bus back using Princess

We went thru Canadian customs, had several photo stops including Carcross and Emerald Lake, and a good lunch stop at Caribou Crossing with a museum, husky pup [emoji177]and goat petting, and a museum

The scenery was awesome

We got back to ship close to onboard time

Note: for the White Pass train to the Yukon we took a short bus ride from the dock to its boarding place

Princess and Chilkoot each use different cars on the train. Princess cars are packed, Chilkoot have enough empty seats that you can move around for the best sights. From the Chilkoot FAQ: "What happens if our ship is late arriving in Skagway? ... We will still be there to meet you when you arrive to discuss options and alternatives so by all means make contact with us at the dock to avoid forfeiting payment. If the ship arrives too late to accommodate you on your tour we will refund you in full."

I did my train trips through Princess in Skagway. Neither time was my train packed. Both times I was able to move around. At most, it may have been 30% full. One time we had the last train car and I had the entire back of the train to myself (outside) as no one else wanted to be there.

We also took the tour with Princess a few years back but the reverse of what ginabab said above. The meal was good but nothing special....roasted chicken, coleslaw, bread. One could sit and eat in a covered wagon if one wished.

Our train was a few minutes leaving because we were sharing with HAL and waiting for a late tour bus to arrive.

We often stood on the open platform between the cars of the train. Really good views from that vantage point. There were a few of us doing that so we took turns being at the front. We took this tour the first week in June so there was a bit of snow here and there on the hills. The scenery is simply stunning with deep valleys and beautiful blue glacier pools. Personally I think you would miss something if you don't take the train.

Is it worth $200? Sometimes it is worth paying the ship's prices but have no doubt you can probably do it cheaper. Because you are crossing an international border, you might want to keep that in mind if case you have a problem. Do not remember what we paid but do your research and decide. In the past, a U.S. citizen could rent a car in Alaska and drive over the border if you don't want to take the train. Canadians were not allowed to do this. This was the situation a few years ago but do not know if it is still applicable.

Would love to go back. Have a good time.

Sandy :)

Canadians were not allowed to do this. This was the situation a few years ago but do not know if it is still applicable.

Canadians are now allowed to drive to Canada with a rental. This changed a few years ago.

Edited by Coral