For those thinking about going to Cuba now

Hflors

You may want to wait after reading this.

It was posted by: Swells5502

BEWARE Pearl Seas Cuba Cruise

We booked in Feburay on Pearl Seas to go to Cuba in December 2016. As of this date they have had to cancel 6 cruises due to NO APPROVAL to travel to Cuba. When we discovered this, we called to cancel. They would NOT take cancellation over phone. Had to send certified letter. Funny, they booked us and took our deposit over the phone. After several calls and assurances that someone would call me back...they never did. However they refunded 1/2 of our deposit stating that the other 1/2 $850 was ADMINSTRATIVE FEES. I am posting to WARN anyone considering this company that they are in my opinion false advertising. They DO NOT have permission to travel and they kept 1/2 of our deposit which is shocking!! Which appears to me to be theft of my "good faith" deposit as it is not our fault they do not have permission to travel to Cuba. Please BEWARE, they not reputable.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2360404

Thank you for sharing. Good luck causing the company all the grief you can; various attorneys general around the Country (most of whom would prefer to grow up to be Governor, and love publicity), including perhaps your home state's, may be interested in pursuing on behalf of their citizens.

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

We booked in Feburay on Pearl Seas to go to Cuba in December 2016. As of this date they have had to cancel 6 cruises due to NO APPROVAL to travel to Cuba. When we discovered this, we called to cancel. They would NOT take cancellation over phone. Had to send certified letter. Funny, they booked us and took our deposit over the phone. After several calls and assurances that someone would call me back...they never did. However they refunded 1/2 of our deposit stating that the other 1/2 $850 was ADMINSTRATIVE FEES. I am posting to WARN anyone considering this company that they are in my opinion false advertising. They DO NOT have permission to travel and they kept 1/2 of our deposit which is shocking!! Which appears to me to be theft of my "good faith" deposit as it is not our fault they do not have permission to travel to Cuba. Please BEWARE, they not reputable.

Dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Not sure a dispute would work at this point, because the original booking is for a trip in the future. What's to dispute? The customer can't claim non-delivery of service because the service isn't scheduled to happen for 7 more months. The cancellation fee is clearly stated and the customer agreed to it when booking, so they'd lose on that point too.

I'm guessing it would have been better for this individual to simply let the booking stay. THEN when Pearl Seas cancels their booking they have a case to receive 100% back and not be assessed a 'cancellation fee', because the tour operator is the one that 'broke' the contract, not the customer.

I investigated sailing to Cuba, but for a variety of reasons it won't work out for us. I think Fathom is the only one going to Cuba from the US. There were 3 lines (all with just one ship) that were trying to get permission. Two actually got it, but one went out of business before they could go. Initially, both Fathom and Pearl had fine print that said "pending approval."

Of the two, Pearl had the better itinerary, 10 days, as opposed to Fathom's 7. But I would never sail with them. Had a bad experience on their sister line, American Cruise lines. Nothing was as advertised/promised, and so I wouldn't trust Pearl, either. I guess my mistrust was correct.

I agree that the fees are excessive. I hope Swells5502 can get the money back. Credit card does seem the best approach to take.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I'm not one to buy a car's first year of issue, nor take an inaugural cruise....particularly with a location as complicated to access as Cuba. I would rather wait for something tried and true with all the kinks worked out. This is just another example of why it makes sense to be cautious - or willing to take the risks.

Edited by mef_57

kenNMB: no thanks we already have a governor that is a shyster!!

All God's children got problems. I feel your pain.

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

My husband and I are very interested in touring Cuba. We looked into Pearl cruises and found much of the same information as reported by Swells. That was enough for us. It always pays to do a little research. Hopefully, this company will come under legal scrutiny.

My husband and I are very interested in touring Cuba. We looked into Pearl cruises and found much of the same information as reported by Swells. That was enough for us. It always pays to do a little research. Hopefully, this company will come under legal scrutiny.

Lots of totally reliable companies do land tours of Cuba. Many of them have been doing land tours for several years or more. That is what we did about a year ago. My brother has done 2 land tours of Cuba. All 3 were wonderful.

In the both of our's opinion, a land tour is the only way to do Cuba.

I would suggest that the OP should have posted this to the Cuba board where more people would have seen it. Perhaps the moderator should move this message to the Cuba board.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Forget the cruise. Why not simply do a land trip to Cuba?

That is what most other tourists have been doing for years. Very successfully with no issues whatsoever. Not certain why a cruise is so important for visiting this island.

Beautiful country, wonderful, welcoming people.

Edited by iancal

Lots of totally reliable companies do land tours of Cuba. Many of them have been doing land tours for several years or more. That is what we did about a year ago. My brother has done 2 land tours of Cuba. All 3 were wonderful.

In the both of our's opinion, a land tour is the only way to do Cuba.

I would suggest that the OP should have posted this to the Cuba board where more people would have seen it. Perhaps the moderator should move this message to the Cuba board.

DON

I didn't know there was a Cuba board. Not sure how to transfer my original post to that board. Thank you for advising me!

Not sure a dispute would work at this point, because the original booking is for a trip in the future. What's to dispute? The customer can't claim non-delivery of service because the service isn't scheduled to happen for 7 more months. The cancellation fee is clearly stated and the customer agreed to it when booking, so they'd lose on that point too.

I'm guessing it would have been better for this individual to simply let the booking stay. THEN when Pearl Seas cancels their booking they have a case to receive 100% back and not be assessed a 'cancellation fee', because the tour operator is the one that 'broke' the contract, not the customer.

After booking and then researching, I found many complaints about the 6 Cuba cruises that were cancelled. They ONLY PROVIDED 3 DAYS NOTICE!! We could not stay on pins and needles waiting that long. Pretty disgusting and very expensive to cancel, hotels, airfare, etc on 3 Days notice. That is why we decided to cancel now. And as many of you have pointed out, 7 months out should have gotten us our full refunded deposit. SCAMMERS sorry to say.

After booking and then researching, I found many complaints about the 6 Cuba cruises that were cancelled. They ONLY PROVIDED 3 DAYS NOTICE!! We could not stay on pins and needles waiting that long. Pretty disgusting and very expensive to cancel, hotels, airfare, etc on 3 Days notice. That is why we decided to cancel now. And as many of you have pointed out, 7 months out should have gotten us our full refunded deposit. SCAMMERS sorry to say.

3 days cancellation notice is terrible. They would have to refund all money if they cancel. But do you know if they did anything by way of compensation for money lost on cancelled airfare, etc?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

This is a statement that truly can assist others...regardless of who they choose to book with. Research the terms and conditions BEFORE booking, not after...know and understand what you are booking, what the limitations are, what the cancellation fees are.

Edited by msmayor

We cancelled a cruise with Pearl Seas - NOT a Cuba cruise, though. We knew when we booked that there was an administrative charge in case of cancellation. Hated to lose several hundred dollars, but the fees were made clear when we booked the trip. It is not unusual for specialty trip providers to charge substantial cancellation fees.

Was the provision that 1/2 was administrative fees in the contract?

Was the provision that 1/2 was administrative fees in the contract?

I found it right in the "General Information" page of their website. The "administrative fee" is charged for ANY cruise cancellation, not just the Cuba cruises:

In the event of cancellation, the total amount paid for fare, minus cancellation fee of $250 per passenger for any cruise 9 nights or less, and $425 per passenger for any cruise 10 nights or more, will be refunded based on the date of receipt by Pearl Seas Cruises, LLC, of the written request for cancellation, in accordance with the following schedule: (i) 91 days or more prior to departure date, 100% of amount paid for fare less fees; (ii) more than 46 days, but less than 90 days prior to departure date, 50% of amount paid for fare less fees; (iii) 45 days or less prior to departure date, no refund will be made. The cancellation fee may be applied towards a future cruise with Pearl Seas Cruises, LLC, within one year of the cancellation date.[\quote]

I do see that the "cancellation fee" can be applied towards a future cruise, so the OP can still benefit from that money held back by booking a different trip with Pearl Seas in the next year.