Ordering multiple entrees/apps allowed? Please no judging! :)

jojo412

This past April on Eclipse I ordered 2 entrees for the first time. One was risotto which I wanted as a side dish and the other the chicken breast. I was shocked when the waiter made a snide comment. The weird thing was it was lobster night and everyone at our table had multiple servings of lobster with zero snarky remarks. I can't remember his exact words because I was so surprised he had the nerve to say anything. Anyway, the risotto was terrible (was fabulous in Tuscan on the first night).

No judging and no guilt from this quarter.

I've ordered as many as 3 crab cakes on RCCL...my fave:p

Our daughter is skinny but in the air force and that gal can eat. She routinely orders more than one of everything but dessert. And if I am unsatisfied with a main course, I will have them bring me another. I have no guilt over it whatsoever.

The only problem we ever have is trying to stop the waiters from bringing more or some of it every night. Once they get the idea of something you love, look out. I had to force the waiter on our cruise last month (Liberty of the Seas) to stop and desist. They aim to please, they are after the coveted top review on your exit interview.

Hi JoJo,

We will be on The Summit July 10th sailing too!! We have been on about 15 cruises and many times order multiple dishes without any issues..however it has been several years since we have been on Celebity so this thread and answers were helpful....I definitely want two lobsters! Many other cruise lines either cut back or discontinued lobster night glad to see Celebity did not! Where in Jersey are you from...we are in Ringwood

I think NCL is one of the ones cutting back..we were on the Breakaway this past christmas and surprised that there was no lobster night.. so I'm glad too that this isn't the case with Celebrity!

PS were in North Jersey, about 10 minutes from the GWB...and only about 30 minutes from Bayonne cruise port!

We had a table for 2 on the Summit in December (our first time on Celebrity) and we usually ordered a 3rd entrée so we both could sample. Also, more than one appetizer if we wanted. Never an issue and never an issue with table space because as was mentioned, they bring them out one at a time. Enjoy!

We have been cruising for over 30 years and there are occasions when one of us can not decide what we want. Any wait staff we have ever encountered are always happy to fulfill any request they can. Sometimes it might be, I just want to taste that or, if I ask which of 2 items they would choose, I have ended up with both even after making a choice.

As a matter of fact, we were on the Summit last April (2015) and our dining room staff were 2 of the best ever. We also have a tendency to ask for an extra side dish of steamed vegetables each evening which has never been an issue either (prefer that to potatoes)-- ask for it once and we had it every night.

Another option is that if you see an entree that you might want to try as an appetizer or an appetizer as an entree, most waiters will take care of that for you as well if you ask.

The bottom line is that these folks are all great. They work hard and just want to make you happy.

I'm away, on a cruise ship, I'm happy-- that pretty much sums it up!

Jed

Also remember they will normally serve apps at main size and mains as app size.

Mrs Gut and I will often order a few dishes in app size and share.

But when we have a table to ourselves.

Order what you like. We were on Summit on the May 8th sailing and most in our party order an extra appetizer or entree most nights. And I concur with the poster who stated the portions are smaller so it makes doing so easier to do without wasting food. I always eat everything I have them bring me, even if I don't care for it....thus another reason to actually like the smaller portions.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you have early dining (or are dining earlier on Select), just be courteous of your fellow cruisers on late dining with things that are limited such as lobster tails. I've seen reports of cruisers with second seating having no lobster tails available because of people with early dining ordering multiple lobster tails.

I personally don't get the appeal of eating stuff that spends its life in water, but use common courtesy and think of how you'd feel if you were told no more were available then saw reports of people ordering three and four and more.

As vegetarians, we have not only ordered multiple appetizers (since there is typically only one vegetarian entrée per menu) - but we have also had appetizers transformed into entrées at the recommendation of the waiter... We have also asked for 1.5 to 2x the serving, when from past experience, we knew that entrée was a small serving (Luminae's Tortellini, for example). As always, the dining staff were willing to accommodate.

The dining venues of Celebrity are flexible and as veggies, we appreciated this flexibility and suggestions from the staff...

My wife is not a vegetarian per se but mostly does not care for meat-based dishes. For the 30+ years I have known her, when we are in a normal shore-side restaurant she has often ordered multiple appetizers/salads as her total meal. I am 99% sure she has done the same when we've been onboard, but I wouldn't really have noticed as it is so much the normal way she approaches any menu, not something special for cruising. On cruises it is easier though as the servers don't have to work with management to reconcile their pricing structure with this other-than-expected pattern.

We were onboard the Infinity several years ago on a Panama Canal transit and lamb chops were on the evening's menu. Both my wife and I mentioned how much we like lamb chops and as soon as we finished those on our plates our server, without being asked, brought THREE more plates of lamb chops for us to split. I think my wife had one but none went to waste (only to waist).

Sorry, in this case, courtesy has nothing to do with it. The Celebrity is responsible for cutting off passengers during the first seating if supply is relatively limited.

I think that it is Celebrity's responsibility to have an adequate supply.

What a great idea. On land restaurants I have often had two appetisers instead of an appetiser and what we in Australia call a main course.

I was wondering how you people put away so many lobsters so I looked up the difference between an Australian rock lobster and a Maine lobster. Apparently the average Australian rock lobster served in a restaurant is 6 pounds and a Maine Lobster is 1.5 - 2 pounds, so if you come to Australia and order lobster - just get the one!

We cruise primarily on 14 or longer cruises and find most people to be retired.

I am 68 and find that I have less an appetite as I get older. I have no problem with others doubling on servings, but I don't know how they do it.

I am reminded of an appropriate saying. I prefer to eat to live rather than live to eat.

hello everyone!

First time cruising with celebrity - will be sailing July 10th on the Summit, very excited!

On both Royal and NCL cruises in the past, we usually order multiple apps and entrees per person. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 apps and/or entrees that sound so good and we want to try it all! Other times I just love an app that much that I order multiple servings (for example, love the shrimp cocktail on Royal and the first two night ordered 2 servings, and from then on our waiter just always put in for 2 servings :)

We've never had any issues in the past on Royal or NCL, no looks of disapproving, etc... but I'm reading a few recent reviews from Celebrity sailings where it seems ordering multiple apps/entrees were looked down upon? Or, they weren't allowed to order double entrees - only 1 entree and then if they wanted seconds they would have to order when they're finished..which sounds like they are trying to discourage you anyway.

Any thoughts on this, and will we have any issues if I wanted to order 2 or 3 apps and 2 entrees? For example, looking at some posted menus, it looks like beef wellington and lobster tail is served on the same night - I would definitely want to order one of each! Will I be able to? Will I have to go through a hassle to do so?

Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated! We are not usually gluttons, but when we're on a cruise we love to try as many things as we can :)

Thank you

It's why we're foodies! We're both in the food industry, so we have a ball. You should have no problem at all. We usually have a cold app, then a hot app next a salad. From there we have a sorbet intermezzo(ask, they will provide it). Then we'll get ort entrees. Sometimes(most times, actually)We'll have an additional entrée to split. The only area that I ever get the opinion that we over do it, would be in the specialty rest. Murano/Qsine etc. I Qsine we pretty much knocked off the entire menu in one sitting. Not everything mind you, but a sampling from all parts of the world on the Ipad. After a 14 day trip on the Eclipse, I've usually easily put on 10LB. Going back to the health club at home I'll lose it in about a month

We cruise primarily on 14 or longer cruises and find most people to be retired.

I am 68 and find that I have less an appetite as I get older. I have no problem with others doubling on servings, but I don't know how they do it.

I am reminded of an appropriate saying. I prefer to eat to live rather than live to eat.

I call it the "Auntie Mame" syndrome: "Life's a banquet & most poor suckers are starving"

On my recently completed Celebrity cruise the guy at the table next to me (it wasn't me!) ordered THREE lobsters! After finishing the waiter walked up and said, "would you like a fourth, sir?" :p If there is a world shortage on lobster, you can blame that guy. ;)

Being from New England we love our lobsters. The ones on most cruise ships, are the warm water "Rock or Spiny Lobsters". We did a 14 day B2B on the Regal Princess. I never was on a ship where they really encouraged you to eat as much seafood(well any food)as much as they did on that ship. Surprisingly, I found the seafood on the Regal to be better than on Celebrity. I can't say that for all Princess cruises. Just on that ship.

Sometimes on Lobster Night they may try to restrict you to one lobster. However if you have a good relationship with your server, you may be able to get two. You shouldn't have a problem with one lobster and another entree.

On our NE/CA cruise they picked up fresh Maine lobster that day where the captain announced they took on one per passenger. When I asked for a second one, at first the server said he couldn't. I toyed with him a little and he agreed to bring it. Of course I had palm tipped him earlier in the cruise and tipped him again later. ;)

YMMV

BTW the next day there were dishes on the menu that included lobster so I know they weren't all ordered.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23], my waiter ordered me two, they were only the tails. He just said two for you. Tipped him well at the end of the cruise.

Not surprised about the excess so many people in specialty restaurants, the MDR was hardly if ever full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, in this case, courtesy has nothing to do with it. The Celebrity is responsible for cutting off passengers during the first seating if supply is relatively limited.

They have plenty of supply. We watched a Sysco 18 wheeler off load it's cargo onto the Eclipse Jan. 2015. That was one of 3 that off loaded. Much of the food is frozen. Sorry, folks, we're in the food industry & most "fresh" seafood was flash frozen at sea! So it does take time to thaw food for the next day. The cruiseline will gage the food consumption & fine tune the prep accordingly. More food is purchased on port stops as well. That's where additional lobster tails are purchased.

What a great idea. On land restaurants I have often had two appetisers instead of an appetiser and what we in Australia call a main course.

I was wondering how you people put away so many lobsters so I looked up the difference between an Australian rock lobster and a Maine lobster. Apparently the average Australian rock lobster served in a restaurant is 6 pounds and a Maine Lobster is 1.5 - 2 pounds, so if you come to Australia and order lobster - just get the one!

There's a big difference in warm water versus cold water lobsters. The warm variety are more closely related to shrimp. Both can be excellent, but the warm type get extremely tough if over cooked a little. The Maine variety are a tad more forgiving, but I've had both types done perfectly, and totally ruined as well!

It's why we're foodies! We're both in the food industry, so we have a ball. You should have no problem at all. We usually have a cold app, then a hot app next a salad. From there we have a sorbet intermezzo(ask, they will provide it). Then we'll get ort entrees. Sometimes(most times, actually)We'll have an additional entrée to split. The only area that I ever get the opinion that we over do it, would be in the specialty rest. Murano/Qsine etc. I Qsine we pretty much knocked off the entire menu in one sitting. Not everything mind you, but a sampling from all parts of the world on the Ipad. After a 14 day trip on the Eclipse, I've usually easily put on 10LB. Going back to the health club at home I'll lose it in about a month

You know they have a gym on board! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]I thinks that's great. You enjoy your food, wish I could. Too much your fat your fat your fat, even when I wasn't overweight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have plenty of supply. We watched a Sysco 18 wheeler off load it's cargo onto the Eclipse Jan. 2015. That was one of 3 that off loaded. Much of the food is frozen. Sorry, folks, we're in the food industry & most "fresh" seafood was flash frozen at sea! So it does take time to thaw food for the next day. The cruiseline will gage the food consumption & fine tune the prep accordingly. More food is purchased on port stops as well. That's where additional lobster tails are purchased.

I remember going to a fish market and asking one of the sellers if the fish was fresh or frozen. He responded "fresh, frozen."

We live on coastal Georgia and you can find shrimp and fish that is just off the boat. Some of the shrimpers do out to sea some distance and must use ice. Others harvest close to shore and return every day with their catch. The wild Georgia shrimp is great. One reason we don't eat the farm raised at places like Red Lobster.

Edited by 4774Papa
add more

I remember going to a fish market and asking one of the sellers if the fish was fresh or frozen. He responded "fresh, frozen."

We live on coastal Georgia and you can find shrimp and fish that is just off the boat. Some of the shrimpers do out to sea some distance and must use ice. Others harvest close to shore and return every day with their catch. The wild Georgia shrimp is great. One reason we don't eat the farm raised at places like Red Lobster.

They sure are! My dad used to cast for them when we were younger. Note fresh off the boat also means with the heads on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk