Radiance Hawaii cruise Drums of the Pacific Luau

Did any one that sailed on the April Hawaii to Vancouver cruise attend the Drums of the Pacific Luau? My wife and I will be sailing on the Radiance on Sept 9th to Hawaii and we would like to experience a Luau. Was this one worth the cost? any information you could provide would be appreciated.

We did this luau on the Legend trip. I thought it would be cheesy - but my better half wanted to do it. Yes, it was a bit cheesy - but we thought it was worth every dime.

Some things just aren't worth trying to save a nickel on.

YMMV

Did any one that sailed on the April Hawaii to Vancouver cruise attend the Drums of the Pacific Luau? My wife and I will be sailing on the Radiance on Sept 9th to Hawaii and we would like to experience a Luau. Was this one worth the cost? any information you could provide would be appreciated.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60634-d812879-Reviews-Drums_of_the_Pacific_Lu_au-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii.html

We have been to both, Drums of the Pacific and Old Lahaina, on land-based trips to Maui. I would choose Old Lahaina for authenticity. If you choose Drums of the Pacific be sure and walk the grounds of the Hyatt Regency. It is very pretty and there is an area with birds and penguins near the lobby.

Thank you all for your quick responses. I have one more question. Where does the ship drop anchor and about how far is that from the Drums of the Pacific and the Old Lahaina?

Thank you all for your quick responses. I have one more question. Where does the ship drop anchor and about how far is that from the Drums of the Pacific and the Old Lahaina?

Old Lahaina Luau is a little over a mile away. The Drums of the Pacific is 4 1/2 miles at a hotel.

Old Lahaina is a privately run business and that is there total focus. The Drums of the Pacific is run by the Hyatt so it is just one of the many activities they sponsor. I have not really enjoyed any hotel run luaus as they are usually a folding chair/folding table setup in the back of the hotel. Just my opinion.

Also remember that Drums of the Pacific is a Polynesian luau covering several cultures in the Pacific, while Old Lahaina Luau is a Hawaiian luau. Some people prefer fire dancers and a lot of action (Polynesian), while some prefer a softer, flowing and graceful way (Hawaiian). The Feast at Lele is another (Polynesian) option, and not far from where your tender docks. Google and compare all three. We have seen Drums of the Pacific and agree that it is "hotel-ish".

Old Lahani was wonderful.

A group of us made reservations independent of the ship (actually met through meet and mingle). Was a large group, probably over 30 people. RC changed the order of the islands necessitating a change in our reservations. They were wonderful. Very accommodating and took care of everything. One person emailed them with the list of names - very fortunate that they were so professional and helpful.

Luau, meal surroundings were gorgeous. Took many beautiful pictures. Highly recommend.

Very short cab ride from dock. Some people walked, probably a couple of miles, but would not recommend walking, especially at night - dark, twisty road with very little sidewalk.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

We believe Drums of the Pacific starts at about $100.00 per person; Old Lahaina Luau at about $115.00 and the Feast at Lele at about $130.00 at the moment. Each one has its differences. Are any of them worth the price?? We can't answer for you, as both the food and shows are acquired tastes if you are not local. They are, however, an experience and memory you will get nowhere else outside of the islands of the Pacific.

If you decide to go, it isn't too soon to make reservations. Good luaus pretty much sell out in advance.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the Drums of the Pacific luau last year on Radiance and enjoyed it. As someone mentioned, it's a Polynesian luau with stage performances relating to the history of the people and their traditions.... and yes, the fire dancers (very impressive).

The ship anchors off of Lahaina harbor and the tender ride is about 5-10 minutes to shore. As someone mentioned, the Drums of the Pacific is at the Hyatt Hotel in kind of a secluded area of the property and it's about 4 miles north of Lahaina harbor. It's about a 20-25 minute bus ride (depending on traffic and weather).

Edited by joepeka

I don't know if you are aware there is a busy roll call going for this sailing and a group of us are going to the Old Lahaina luau together. I know noone besides my DH on this trip but I understand several others have traveled together before.

Please if you wish to join us, as I was invited to join, it's more fun in a group. You have to call them directly to make the reservation, and tell them you want to join Anita's group off the Radiance.

See you on board, in less than 3 months now.

I don't know if you are aware there is a busy roll call going for this sailing and a group of us are going to the Old Lahaina luau together. I know noone besides my DH on this trip but I understand several others have traveled together before.

Please if you wish to join us, as I was invited to join, it's more fun in a group. You have to call them directly to make the reservation, and tell them you want to join Anita's group off the Radiance.

See you on board, in less than 3 months now.

We haven't checked and this may well have been covered already, but Old Lahaina Luau used to give a 10% discount for parties of 15 or more. This may no longer be true and there may/may not be certain restrictions, but it is worth a shot if you are forming a group.

We haven't checked and this may well have been covered already, but Old Lahaina Luau used to give a 10% discount for parties of 15 or more. This may no longer be true and there may/may not be certain restrictions, but it is worth a shot if you are forming a group.

I did not know this, thank you,

We have been to both, Drums of the Pacific and Old Lahaina, on land-based trips to Maui. I would choose Old Lahaina for authenticity. If you choose Drums of the Pacific be sure and walk the grounds of the Hyatt Regency. It is very pretty and there is an area with birds and penguins near the lobby.

I will second that opinion! We thought the Old Lahaina was the best of the them!

• 4 months later...

Our group of 8 are going to the Old Hawaiian Luau on the 14th of September, 2017. We will be coming from the Radiance of the Seas which tenders at Lahaina and is in port 2 days. We know we can rent a large van in the Kaanapali beach area that will pick us up at the ship and shuttle us to the rental location. In the evening we would drive to the Luau. We would like to keep the van until the next afternoon so on day 2 we can drive to Makawao to tour at Maui Pineapple Farm. I've read quite a bit about getting to the Luau by taxi, but we would rather drive ourselves and as many reviews that I have read, I cannot find an answer to "overnight parking at the port." Has anyone done this and if so, where would we park and what is the cost of the overnight parking. Thanks for your help.

Our group of 8 are going to the Old Hawaiian Luau on the 14th of September, 2017. We will be coming from the Radiance of the Seas which tenders at Lahaina and is in port 2 days. We know we can rent a large van in the Kaanapali beach area that will pick us up at the ship and shuttle us to the rental location. In the evening we would drive to the Luau. We would like to keep the van until the next afternoon so on day 2 we can drive to Makawao to tour at Maui Pineapple Farm. I've read quite a bit about getting to the Luau by taxi, but we would rather drive ourselves and as many reviews that I have read, I cannot find an answer to "overnight parking at the port." Has anyone done this and if so, where would we park and what is the cost of the overnight parking. Thanks for your help.

The closest to the pier that I know of is behind the Regal Cinema. It's called the Wharf Cinema Center parking. The main entrance is on Waine'e Street and the after hours entrance is on Luakini. We parked there overnight while on Radiance in April for about $15.

There is also a lot at the Lahaina center a couple blocks away, you enter on Papalaua Street. That one is more expensive, all night cost me $40 in 2014 (haven't been back :p)

We have attended the Old lahaina Luau twice now and for service and entertainment it is a beautiful Luau. Well organized. We attended the Drums of the Pacific during our Hawaii cruise two years ago and took the shuttle bus up & back. The hotel setting was nice and entertainment very good and as mentioned you will see more Polynesian dancing. We were going to attend the luau closer but they decided to cancel our reservations for a group booking so went with some of our group from our roll Call to the OLL.