We have a new baby boy, when should we start cruising again?

Niche79

Hi guys!

So a few months ago we had our first baby and we haven't been cruising since November of last year and my wife asked me if I would want to do a cruise around September for a few days to see how it goes with him. My question is when is a good starting point to take him, we would just do a 3 or 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral or something just to try it out for now. I would love to hear when everyone began taking their children on cruises and how it went?

Thanks! :D

My grandson, who is 5 now, had his first passport by 3 mos and was on his first cruise at 8 mos.

The entire family had a blast. Then again, it does take more than just the parents to keep from going nuts.

He's now been to 3 cruises, a week in Jamaica, and a week in Hawaii.

Baby needs to be at least 6 months old to cruise. Born March 1, can sail September 1, not August 30.

The Family board has lots of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Remember at that age he will be with you ALL of the time. Depending on the cruise line, he must be 2 or 3 before he can join the kid's program and babysitting. (You must pay for babysitting at night, not in your cabin but like a slumber party.)

Edited by Bonnie J.

6 months was perfect. Our daughter slept lost of the time and if she didn't, we just walked her around the ship in the stroller. Most ships have a baby room with a few toys for the babies that you can hang out in. Now we brought our 2.5 year old on that same cruise and it was a lot harder. She didn't like kids club and it was hard for us to keep her entertained during the day sometimes.

Hi guys!

So a few months ago we had our first baby and we haven't been cruising since November of last year and my wife asked me if I would want to do a cruise around September for a few days to see how it goes with him. My question is when is a good starting point to take him, we would just do a 3 or 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral or something just to try it out for now. I would love to hear when everyone began taking their children on cruises and how it went?

I suggest you ask this question on the Family Forum. I think you'll find many parents who successfully took their little one at 8 or 9 months.

You'll also get lots of helpful advice in that forum.

Babies are ALLOWED to cruise at 6 mos.....some trans-Atlantic or Pacific's require 12 mos...

You MAY take them anytime you choose. Realize, a "family" cruise won't be the same as when you were a couple! You are a family, and from now on, will take "family vacations"! Welcome to our world!

Lots of good helpful comments, and then a lot of old people I don't like kids comments. So thanks to you all who did answer appropriately! ;) We will see if we can take him or not, no solid decisions yet. BTW I watch him all day long at home before working in the evening when she takes over so being with him is no big deal, after 19 cruises, we have the cruise thing down and won't be mad if we miss something at a port.

Use an umbrella stroller and take a small inflatable pool (one that is about 3 ft diameter) this can be used for bathing him and for play time on your balcony. With your son in this age group, I would select a cruise line that has good room service so you can eat meals in your cabin if needed. Take extra diapers as the cruise ships don't stock these and get the typical meds for your son in case he needs something. I have friends whose 2 year old daughter got Noro on their last cruise and they ran out of diapers - so definitely plan ahead. Some families order online and have the extra supplies delivered to their pre-cruise hotel. The Disney ships do have babysitting for children as young as 6 months - it costs extra - an hourly rate and you have to book far in advance, but IMO, that would be a good line for your young family. RCCL offers babysitting for kids 1 year old and up. So keep in minds that this type of service varies greatly by cruise lines from no offering at all to babysitting. Then think about what you and your wife would be comfortable with and book accordingly.

Lots of good helpful comments, and then a lot of old people I don't like kids comments. So thanks to you all who did answer appropriately! ;)

Gosh, really? I didn't see one single person say "I don't like kids.". And just so you know, a question asked on a public message board will garner all kinds of replies, perhaps negative. It's the chance you take. :)

On most (I almost want to say ALL lines), you pay the same for a child regardless of their age. A baby of 6 months will pay the same as a passenger of 600 months, and be charged the gratuities/service charge as well. It's always helpful to consider all aspects of cruising with a child. Perhaps a land-based vacation might be more agreeable if you didn't want to pay extra for baby (just a suggestion).

[/quote[]

Gosh, really? I didn't see one single person say "I don't like kids.". I agree. If OP wants to insult us. H e did.] And just so you know, a question asked on a public message board will garner all kinds of replies, perhaps negative. It's the chance you take. :) No onew made any such comment.

On most (I almost want to say ALL lines), you pay the same for a child regardless of their age. A baby of 6 months will pay the same as a passenger of 600 months, and be charged the gratuities/service charge as well. It's always helpful to consider all aspects of cruising with a child. Perhaps a land-based vacation might be more agreeable if you didn't want to pay extra for baby (just a suggestion).

The only negative commentwas Op'snd I can' figure out why he said that.

Edited by sail7seas

vf

Lots of good helpful comments, and then a lot of old people WHERE? By whom?happy I don't like kids comments. So thanks to you all who did answer appropriately! ;) We will see if we can take him or not, no solid decisions yet. BTW I watch him all day long at home before working in the evening when she takes over so being with him is no big deal, after 19 cruises, we have the cruise thing down and won't be mad if we miss something at a port.
So happy to hear you 'won'e b e mad at your baby if you misss a zip line. :rolleyes: Edited by sail7seas

Babies are ALLOWED to cruise at 6 mos.....some trans-Atlantic or Pacific's require 12 mos...

You MAY take them anytime you choose. Realize, a "family" cruise won't be the same as when you were a couple! You are a family, and from now on, will take "family vacations"! Welcome to our world!

Yup this is so right.....indoctrinate this baby to be a cruiser and get the open seas in their blood♡

Lots of good helpful comments, and then a lot of old people I don't like kids comments. So thanks to you all who did answer appropriately! ;) We will see if we can take him or not, no solid decisions yet. BTW I watch him all day long at home before working in the evening when she takes over so being with him is no big deal, after 19 cruises, we have the cruise thing down and won't be mad if we miss something at a port.

I applaud you for wanting to take him along. The only thing that I am going to point out is that you pretty much have to take everything he might need with you. It seems to me that the older he is the less special food you would have to take and that might be a reason to delay. Whatever you decide as long as it works for you it will all be good.

kids msgust b e potty trainedto go to Club HAL

Hi guys!

The only age discrimination in this thread did not come...from i oldcpeople." as You put it.

Go see the family cruising forum for more baby specific advice/support :) We have taken our son at 10 months and 27 months. Both were fun, though of course different than cruising before we had him. If we have a second we will try to cruise before he/she starts walking. It is much easier!! 6-8 months would be a great time. But really any time is good. My biggest advice is to either book a ship that has a nursery (pay by the hour for care a couple of times for a couple of hours to have leisurely dinner or other relaxing down time) or ask baby's grandparents to join you. We went with both sets of grandparents the first time and with my parents the second time. Were able to have a few dinners alone and time to enjoy the ship's activities that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could be there were some posts deleted. :p

OP, we went on our first cruise when our daughter was 21 months old. She was too young for the kids club so she was with us all the time. It was a great cruise! She was, of course, with us at all times, so we just planned things in port that would be fun for her, too.

I'm going to be a grandmother in July and I'm hoping my daughter and SIL will want to cruise once my grandson is old enough. I'll be happy to go along and take care of him!

We took our girl on her first cruise at 23 months of age, one month short of being able to go to the kids' program. But it worked out fine. It was a 3 day cruise and we drove to the port with everything we might need for her. Just one port, but we just got off the ship long enough to go to the market on the pier and return. But you don't have to get off the ship at all.

If you're flying to your embarkation port, go in a day ahead and stock up there for extra diapers, etc.

A lot will depend on your baby. If the child isn't a good sleeper, is colicky or super fussy, you may want to rethink your plans. As an experienced cruiser you know that cabin walls can be thin, and a fussy baby could very well disturb your neighbors when trying to sleep. But if your baby is a good sleeper, and doesn't have colic, then go for it. I think you're smart to start with a short cruise to see if baby can handle it---not all babies are happy cruisers.

Edited by kitty9