Breakdown of New Gratuity Rates

Banjo

Just rec'd this from my TA. Fortunately 2 of the cruises I have lined up for the next 2 years I have pre payed gratuities.

Celebrity Cruise Line is adjusting its daily gratuity rates effective as of June 14, 2016, for all sailings beginning on or after July 1, 2016. The new gratuity rates will be increasing by $0.55 per person per day to the following amounts:

\r\n$13.50 per person per day in Standard Staterooms

\r\n$14.00 per person per day in Concierge Class and Aqua Class

\r\n$17.00 per person per day in Suite Class

\r\n** For example, the additional $0.55 per person per day for a 7 day sailing will result in an increased cost of $3.85 per person. Your total per person increase will vary depending on the sailing length.**

\r\nGuest holding an existing reservation for a sailing departing on or prior to June 30, 2016, will be protected at the current gratuity rate listed below.

\r\nGuests departing July 1, 2016, or beyond, may choose to prepay the gratuities on or prior to June 13, 2016 to be protected under the current gratuity rate listed below.

\r\n$12.95 per person per day in Standard Staterooms

\r\n$13.45 per person per day in Concierge Class and Aqua Class

\r\n$16.45 per person per day in Suite Class

Edited by Banjo

Just off the Summit. Celebrity charged us the new grats rate starting mid cruise! We complained, they corrected. While at guest services, i heard others complaining about it too. I don't know if everyone had their accounts corrected or only those who complained.

Sorry but how now getting out of hand. Just call it what it is Service charge or better

known at resorts " Resort charge"

Now everyone is prepaying tips . On the last night and morning the room attendant and waiters kind of lurk looking for additional tips as if you have left nothing.

Go back to the old system of envelops and tip what you really thought the service deserved.

Now everyone is prepaying tips . On the last night and morning the room attendant and waiters kind of lurk looking for additional tips as if you have left nothing.

Go back to the old system of envelops and tip what you really thought the service deserved.

I totally agree. Service is service.

Oh, come on now. Spending a few thousand dollars on a cruise and complaining about a 55 cent per day increase that was tacked on part way through the cruise?

Fine! Now I won't give an extra tip at the end of the cruise to cabin guy or waiters.

Sounds like you are willing to let tipping, etc , spiral out of of control, because people can afford a cruise.

The old system worked if everyone actually tipped the staff but this assures that they do. The staff works very hard to make your vacation a success. I always give the cabin staff a tip on the front end of my trip in addition to whatever the daily tip is.

The old system worked if everyone actually tipped the staff but this assures that they do. The staff works very hard to make your vacation a success. I always give the cabin staff a tip on the front end of my trip in addition to whatever the daily tip is.

Well actually you still have the option of adjusting daily gratuities onboard so what's the difference? Other than apathy?

The only difference that I can see with compulsory grats is that ALL staff get something whether they have contact with you or not. Even the dishwashers and cleaners who wash the handrails..... etc...who do a totally admiral job and not recognised normally...I hope they get a share.

I am from the UK and truthfully do not agree with compulsory grants and I Do NoT give extra at the end of the cruise unless someone goes over and above what they are paid to do.

Oh, come on now. Spending a few thousand dollars on a cruise and complaining about a 55 cent per day increase that was tacked on part way through the cruise?

Not complaining about the amount. I don't agree with Price increase after purchase- Especially when it is probably caused by another Celebrity "computer glitch".

Sorry but how now getting out of hand. Just call it what it is Service charge or better

Seriously???? You going to run down and tip the people in the cellar who wash and fold your towels and linens, etc. There are many more people than your room steward or waiter who are working their butts off so you can enjoy your cruise. You may see your room steward but how often do you see his ass't who scrubs your toilet!!! I get envelopes from GR and tip extra to people I thought "deserved" it.

Fine! Now I won't give an extra tip at the end of the cruise to cabin guy or waiters.

Sounds like you are willing to let tipping, etc , spiral out of of control, because people can afford a cruise.

A 55¢/day increase means tipping is spiralling out of control?? Has that "slippery slope" really gotten that steep, or am I missing something here?

I don't know about that.

I recall in the old days going to the MDR on the last night and the dining room was empty.

Also, I am sure some are guilty of this, gave an envelop with just $5 or $10 for a 7 night cruise.

I do think Celebrity should just call it a 'service charge'.

Edited by Banjo

You may see your room steward but how often do you see his ass't who scrubs your toilet!!! I get envelopes from GR and tip extra to people I thought "deserved" it.

I have read? heard? somewhere that the assistants are no longer used. Celebrity is going the way of Royal and using only one person per stateroom.

And to others...

I too resent anyone tacking on any surcharge or charge not contracted for.

All non-American staff have had a 30% plus increase in "wages" over the last two years as the dollar soared against other currencies. For those of us on the other side of that currency, travel costs have increased by a third. Those who don't mind the nickels and dimes, please pay a bit more to cover the extras that annoy some of us.

Nothing is "spiraling" out of control. It's not a large amount of money. I don't see what the upset is all about.

But I know many of you will say that Celebrity's tip policy is too high, or that you just don't want to tip at all.

Whatever it is...it's the policy. Either flow with the change, or cancel your future cruise and take your business somewhere else.

Agree on the gratuities, however we still tip at the end. I tip the cabin stewards and if we have used the same waiters, some for them as well. We normally do Select Dining now, but frequently get the same wait staff.

I thought it was about $5+ pp per day for a cabin attendant....now it's almost $14pp per day? That's a lot! Or, its that figure for ALL (waiters, ass't waiters, etc....) who are to be tipped?

Edited by cb at sea

As far as I am concerned and what I know the UK has different ideas.A tip is a voluntary expression of thanks for good advice that has been given.If staff get used to having tip regularly in advance they are bound to look towards still receiving extra tips at the end of the cruise,so doing very well for themselves.This is one of the main differences between USA and UK customers.I myself will continue to go to the desk and have tips taken off the bill.I then will tip via envelopes at the end of the cruise ,I have always ended up giving the recommended amount.

I have read? heard? somewhere that the assistants are no longer used. Celebrity is going the way of Royal and using only one person per stateroom.

And to others...

I too resent anyone tacking on any surcharge or charge not contracted for.

All non-American staff have had a 30% plus increase in "wages" over the last two years as the dollar soared against other currencies. For those of us on the other side of that currency, travel costs have increased by a third. Those who don't mind the nickels and dimes, please pay a bit more to cover the extras that annoy some of us.

We had assi't room stewards a week ago!! We had a different (nice) guy who vacuumed and cleaned the bathroom. The room steward had other duties.

I am happy to "pay a bit more" to the hardworking staff. Sorry .55 cents annoys you lol. You seem to know how much the staff make but I am wondering how much you make? You don't actually mean that a 30% raise on a $500 salary means we should all stop tipping? As a Canadian, yes the rates have hit us hard but we don't take out on the crew.

As far as I am concerned and what I know the UK has different ideas.A tip is a voluntary expression of thanks for good advice that has been given.If staff get used to having tip regularly in advance they are bound to look towards still receiving extra tips at the end of the cruise,so doing very well for themselves.This is one of the main differences between USA and UK customers.I myself will continue to go to the desk and have tips taken off the bill.I then will tip via envelopes at the end of the cruise ,I have always ended up giving the recommended amount.

Funny how now when we go to pubs and restaurants in the UK they are quite happy to add 10% to the bill without asking!

I've often seen people wish that the required gratuities were called service charges. I wonder if all complaints would stop if X simply changed what they are called.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

With most cabins etc on these ships being verandas or suites, my guess is were maybe paying 8% on average. Example- 7 day cruise $1000pp. $86pp in tips or there abouts. Even with the new rates we'll still be under 10% and that's well below the going rate of 15% to 20%. Spiraling, nah... I don't think so.

We have to remember too that a lot of people don't tip at hotels etc for these maids etc cleaning up after us and making our bed. So upset people about raising gratuities certainly doesn't surprise me. :cool:

What we find strange is why Aqua and Concierge should pay higher rates for tips. On most of the ships these are just normal cabins...with a few extra perks...that do not add much to the workload of the stewards.

Hank

I wonder if all complaints would stop if X simply changed what they are called.

Nope. The complaints wouldn't stop if they added them to the fare price.

They used to be new, they used to be blue, they used to be clean.

29 day countdown.