Non-Refundable Deposit - something new?

schildiams

I received a flyer in the mail and looked online at a great rate. Decided to book a cabin for next March. Upon hitting "next," a warning popped up that the deposit is 100% NOT refundable for this rate. Is this something new? Decided not to book. Disappointed.

I received a flyer in the mail and looked online at a great rate. Decided to book a cabin for next March. Upon hitting "next," a warning popped up that the deposit is 100% NOT refundable for this rate. Is this something new? Decided not to book. Disappointed.

It's not new. However, it's only applied for certain promotional rates (not all promotional rates). In other words, a non-refundable deposit is the exception, not the rule.

The non refundable deposit is not new. This has been around for years. Some promotions have it and some not. You just have to decide if its worth it to you to get a great price now but take the chance of loosing the deposit at some later date if you cannot make the trip.

Edited by waltd

I had to cancel a cruise with a non-refundable deposit, but our TA was able to move the deposit to another cruise. My understanding is that you can't get a cash refund of the deposit, but sometimes a good, high-volume TA can reuse the deposit on another cruise.

I had to cancel a cruise with a non-refundable deposit, but our TA was able to move the deposit to another cruise. My understanding is that you can't get a cash refund of the deposit, but sometimes a good, high-volume TA can reuse the deposit on another cruise.

I agree with partybarbie, in most cases a non-refundable deposit can be moved. However, I just heard on a roll-call that they now have a non-transferable wording that would indicate you could not transfer the deposit to another cruise.

I would call to double check before putting that kind of deposit down.

Thanks for this info. I just did a chat with Princess and was told that I would have to ask my TA if I wanted to transfer my deposit to another cruise. I booked with a great promo, $100 pp deposit, specialty dining meal, and free gratuities. I hate to give all of that up. I can't remember if they had a non-refundable deposit.

Carol

Thanks for this info. I just did a chat with Princess and was told that I would have to ask my TA if I wanted to transfer my deposit to another cruise. I booked with a great promo, $100 pp deposit, specialty dining meal, and free gratuities. I hate to give all of that up. I can't remember if they had a non-refundable deposit.

Carol

Ask your TA or look at your booking paperwork. It is probably listed on the paperwork.

It's old and they do it often.

I was very surprised last year when I saw that certain rates had nonrefundable deposits. We'd booked over a dozen princess cruises and never had seen that before. Now I make sure that the deposit is refundable. We got a very good rate from a promo this past March and $400 OBC (and a refundable deposit) for a Caribbean cruise for next March on the Regal 7-day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

I'm sorry but any one of you has "lost" $100 on numerable purchases (Car, House, luxury bed) Even the gecko says you are losing $ 400 on your car insurance. Is a non-refundable deposit that big of a deal in your cruising budget? When I have cancelled a cruise a $ 100 is the least of my worries. A thought for the day.

Edited by neverbeenhere

I'm sorry but any one of you has "lost" $100 on numerable purchases (Car, House, luxury bed) Even the gecko says you are losing $ 400 on your car insurance. Is a non-refundable deposit that big of a deal in your cruising budget? When I have cancelled a cruise a $ 100 is the least of my worries. A thought for the day.

I'd hate to lose $100 but I'm with you on this. If I do have to cancel the $200 (my deposit and my wife's deposit) will likely be a very minor side issue. I will be aware of the status of my deposit so will know if it's refundable or not. If the non-refundable thing was a major issue I simply wouldn't book the cruise.

Edited by Thrak

I agree with partybarbie, in most cases a non-refundable deposit can be moved. However, I just heard on a roll-call that they now have a non-transferable wording that would indicate you could not transfer the deposit to another cruise.

I would call to double check before putting that kind of deposit down.

Yes, I would double check too.

My understanding is that non-transferable means you would lose the deposit if you cancel the cruise, while non-refundable deposits can normally be transferred to another cruise.

The non refundable deposit is not new. This has been around for years. Some promotions have it and some not. You just have to decide if its worth it to you to get a great price now but take the chance of loosing the deposit at some later date if you cannot make the trip.

Is non-refundable different from non-transferable?

Does anyone know if you book under a nonrefundable deposit and the price goes down later but before final payment, can you still get the lower price?

Yes, you can.

Of course any special benefits of your original booking (free gratuities, for example) might not be available if you change to a lower price with different promotions.

Almost booked a cruise under the red white and blue sale that included the gratuities. my TA told me that my FCC would not be refunded if I canceled so I decided to book the same cruise for the same price and not include the gratuities. That way if I cancel I can get my FCC put back in my account and $100 that I paid for my husband is refundable. And if the price goes down which I doubt it will ,I can also get the price reduction.

I felt too restricted with the red white and blue sale, it's only a seven day cruise so gratuities don't add up to that much . In my eyes I didn't want to risk losing $200 if I cancel. I always like to have that out before final payment just in case something comes up that I can't go on my vacation.

So to the OP this certainly seem new to me all my other Princess cruises have always been refundable deposit's including FCC.

Julie