Recommend a river cruise line for us please

katmu

We always buy the cheapest cabin on the river boat, since we never stay in our cabin. It is more fun to be on the deck or in the bar lounge watching the sites and visiting with new friends.

From what I see, most river cruises are like that and spend little time in their cabins.

Why pay 50-100% more for a higher deck cabin with a small balcony? Do some people just enjoy the solitude or what?

We always buy the cheapest cabin on the river boat, since we never stay in our cabin. It is more fun to be on the deck or in the bar lounge watching the sites and visiting with new friends.

From what I see, most river cruises are like that and spend little time in their cabins.

Why pay 50-100% more for a higher deck cabin with a small balcony? Do some people just enjoy the solitude or what?

Solitude has nothing to do with it for me....I'm mildly claustrophobic and start to get squirrely if I can't open that door and lean outside. I don't think I spend that much more time in my cabin, although we do like to retire after dinner and just chill with the balcony door open. the sound of the river and the smell of fresh air. :D

... The travel agent is holding a standard cabin on the AmaCerto for us while I try to figure out for sure if we want to upgrade to the french balcony or not, or just spend the extra $$$ on hotels instead. I'm pretty happy with the deal the TA was able to get us for Ama...

I can't give you personal review yet, but for our upcoming first river cruise (29 days away!) on Viking departing from Budapest, we booked the cheapest basement cabin on the ship and used AirBnb for our 4 night stay pre-cruise.

I found the apartment that is on the block behind the hotel we were going to stay at (Intercontinental)...I found many local options for lodging on that site that had good and recent reviews from fellow travelers. Saved about 50% from hotel cost and got better room with kitchen and way more room.

Have a great cruise.

IMHO once you've experienced a balcony it's hard to go back to a window only or for river cruise ships 1/4 window only. We like to look out and feel the outside.

We booked a balcony for our river cruise. We always have a balcony at the very least (I look for the premium balconies) on an ocean cruise.

I wouldn't say it's solitude, so much as we just like knowing we have our own space. If I get up early, I may grab a cup of coffee and just sit out there for a bit (it will be in the summer). I'm a Gemini - sometimes I want to be with people and sometimes I want to be alone. I like having open options.

This trip is a treat ourselves well trip. We're flying business/first and staying at The Toren in Amsterdam :)

It's simply a question of differing priorities for most people. For me, a hotel room or a boat cabin are more than just a place to sleep & shower. It's not good or bad or right or wrong, it's just my priority. Fortunately there are options so that all of us can choose :D

(and yes, even in December, we opened the windows of our Avalon balcony/huge sliding windows)

Obviously not everyone agrees with you, but I agree 100% with your comments. Having done a number of river cruises with GCCL (along with other lines) we have on occasion gotten comp upgrades to a balcony. We used it maybe 10 minutes in 14 days, spending most of our boat time on the sun deck or the Lounge. We would have much preferred to have the extra space within the cabin, and if given a choice of a no-extra-cost balcony or not, we'd say don't bother. Pay extra? - no way! But different strokes for different folks...

We would have much preferred to have the extra space within the cabin,

Well, that is the nice thing about the Avalon set-up that isn't a real balcony. You never lose cabin space!

And yes, some mornings we were rafted. We were never docked against concrete. But we were happy with the use we got out of our windows/balcony.....Esp sitting in bed looking out the huge windows. (the beds orient so you look out the windows) Loved it.

We would have much preferred to have the extra space within the cabin, and if given a choice of a no-extra-cost balcony or not, we'd say don't bother. Pay extra? - no way! But different strokes for different folks...

Scenic's Sun Lounge is unique is that it can be either a sun room or outside balcony with the push of a button. We enjoyed it.

AMA's twin balcony staterooms are unique and measure 210 or 235 sq ft. Those are our favorites as the rooms are spacious and design really works IMO.

We liked out Panorama Suite on Avalon but not nearly as much as the real balconies on Scenic and AMA. We love our private outside space.

Balcony spaces on riverboats are often not usable because of rafting or being docked next to a giant concrete wall. :(

I would restate this as "not always usable as balconies." They are always usable as windows [much larger windows than the Aquarium Class cabins have], and for many of us that is what we are paying for. That's why I pay for a French Balcony. And for others, those times when the balcony IS usable as a balcony are worth the bigger premium. Different strokes...

Balcony spaces on riverboats are often not usable because of rafting or being docked next to a giant concrete wall. :(

Your logic would apply to a French balcony as well, which we have had on several cruises (that includes Panorama cabins on Avalon, which I recall as being your personal point of reference). We enjoy those as well but for us, the outdoor space is important and has always been usable.

Based on my personal experience on 14 river cruises so far (half with balconies) there was never a cruise where we did not use our outside balcony, and we did not regret our decision to book one on any of those, even in December. IME a balcony is occasionally not usable but certainly not "often" and a French balcony would have the same obstruction issues.

While we have occasionally been rafted, it has not been the norm and more often has been just for a few hours. Sailing with a book and glass of wine and enjoying it all in the privacy of our own outdoor space is something we really enjoy.

We have outdoor balcony cabins on our upcoming river cruises as for us, they are our favorite. As always, YMMV.

Edited by caviargal

Caviargal, your right it may apply but the up charge for that balcony vs how often it was usable or should I say unusable just did not compute for me. I would always book a balcony on a regular ocean cruise.

And as you say YMMV ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Caviargal, your right it may apply but the up charge for that balcony vs how often it was usable or should I say unusable just did not compute for me. I would always book a balcony on a regular ocean cruise.

And as you say YMMV ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The important thing is to check the square footage of the cabins. I know that on Avalon the area of all cabins including the aquarium class is the same, except for the suites. On other lines there is a large discrepancy in area of various cabin classes. Also remember that the area of the balcony is figured into the total area. I find that looking at cabin floor plans is helpful.