Packing for Alaska

lbfluffy

Jessica,

My wife and I travel through your town every year on our way to/from Yosemite. We are particularly in love with Los Banos Donuts. Sadly, we can't get donuts like that in S Florida. :(

As for packing, we're warm weather people just like you. My wife largely wears workout gear in layers - Capri or long tights, tech short sleeve tee, tech jacket, and we have a waterproof shell and packable down jacket with us for an outer layer if need be. This is the same gear she takes for when we visit Yosemite in Spring or Fall, which can be similar to Alaska in Summer. Hope this helps. When last we were in Alaska, it was warmer than we expected, so we were thankful to have tees with us.

Weather can be anything in Alaska so maybe pack a pair of shorts just in case. We just got back. Drizzly rain most days. Even with a sweater, fleece and windbreaker I was cold on glacier days. Of course I stood outside all day. ;). Glad I brought a swimming suit so we could use the hot tubs and thermal suite

Have a great cruise! We love Alaska, especially the glaciers.

Layers is best. That way you can add layers if it gets colder, or subtract layers as it warms up. Always pack a water proof outer layer as it can rain a lot in Alaska - poncho or water-proof windbreaker. Also pack one change of warm weather clothes as the weather can surprise you, especially in late June July and most of August. I live in Wisconsin (I know cold) and I have been on 3 Alaska cruises (mid May, late July and mid September) and have needed the warm weather clothes on all except the mid September cruise.

For Alaska cruise, on days at sea, what do women typically wear? It's hard to think "winter" when its 100 degrees in Texas! Just want to be sure I have the right attire!

Even though I brought shorts I never wore them. Mostly I wore slacks or jeans and long sleeved knit tops.

Our ship (Island) was pretty warm. On some ships the common areas can be a little cool but a light sweater is usually enough in the evening.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm wondering if i should pack my thick winter coat? I have a waterproof jacket that isn't as heavy and fairly warm. I just don't want to be cold. I'll also pack our rain ponchos.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm wondering if i should pack my thick winter coat? I have a waterproof jacket that isn't as heavy and fairly warm. I just don't want to be cold. I'll also pack our rain ponchos.

Getting ready to take our 5th & 6th Alaska cruise.

I have never packed a thick winter coat. As others have said, layers is the key. Wear a sweater or sweatshirt under a light, waterproof jacket. Other than days by glaciers, we've always had very moderate to warm weather.

I wore shorts most days. It was only really cold the days we were near the glaciers. I wore several layers--T-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, and rain jacket--along with a knit hat and gloves.

I would not take a heavy winter coat. I bring one jacket that is water proof and a couple of heavy sweaters and/or sweatshirts.

We are leaving (soon!) for a 6 day land tour followed by a 7 day southbound. I'm packing jeans, sneakers, sandals, shorts, aloha shirts, formal clothes, dual-layer jacket (not a heavy coat) flannel shirt, etc. It will vary from warm to chilly and, in Glacier Bay, it will be cold. (All that ice... :))

Layers or a selection. As someone said above, Yosemite (and Yellowstone too) has variable weather and we've been both cold and hot. Alaska will be "kind of" the same thing.

Edited by Thrak

Sounds great to me! I will start pulling my stuff out this weekend. We leave on the 20th. I need to pull out the luggage as late as possible so I don't traumatize my dog, she knows what the suitcase means.

Sounds great to me! I will start pulling my stuff out this weekend. We leave on the 20th. I need to pull out the luggage as late as possible so I don't traumatize my dog, she knows what the suitcase means.

LOL!

We have two cats, and they also know exactly what it means when the bags come out of the closet!

Have layers that peel off...

I wore a tank top, skirt all day in San Francisco...30 minutes into the cruise it got freezing...the 4th of July I had a 3/4 length shirt and jeans on in Juneau...Ketchikan I was wearing shorts and a sleeveless shirt....

So do not forget to pack some warmer weather clothing....

Bernadette

We got back from Alaska on the 6th. Weather was nice with temps in the 50's and 60's (75 in Victoria). I always pack a pair of shorts and a short-sleeved t-shirt, a pair of jeans or slacks and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Then I add additional clothes depending upon the destination. Remember that the ship interior will be in the high-60's to low-70's.

Do bring a rain jacket. You might want a hat and gloves, especially if you spend lots of time on deck or are planning an excursion to the snow. My husband is always cold, but even he has finally decided that a sweatshirt with a windbreaker on top is adequate (he used to look like the Michelin man in his down jacket).

I wore sneakers during the day (as did most of the passengers), you'll only need heavy boots if you're hiking. Snow boots are provided if you take one of the glacier walk tours.

I forgot my sunglasses, so we had to buy some at our first port.

Don't forget sunscreen. Both water and snow are highly reflective!

As many have said, Alaska weather can be unpredictable. Sometimes it can be very warm. We sailed last year in September (round-trip Seattle) and it was shorts weather as the day we sailed and the last day at sea. Other days were often just jeans, long-sleeve T, and a fleece vest. Always have the waterproof shell nearby because rain is common. But, this is all part of the Alaska fun. We're going again in August!!

We have a week 'walking boot' type holiday before and after the cruise, so will have easy wash walking trousers (long & short) chinos (long and capri) plus an assortment of T shirts, long sleeve shirts and hoodies - we will be living out of a suitcase for 2 of the 3 weeks we are away. Plus waterproof jacket. My main concerns are:

1- Washing - what are the laundry facilities like?

2 - The formal evenings ....with limited luggage I do not want to waste 'weight' on items i will only wear once!

Thank you in advance.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, or I didn't see it, is long silk undies. I was fine with them, jeans, T-shirt, long sleeved T, sweater, insulated jacket, beanie style cap and gloves. HOWEVER!, I thought I was going to freeze my you know whats off on my Tracy Arm Fjord day! For my next trip I'm seriously thinking of packing my ski jacket just for the Yukon train ride as well as for Glacier Bay.

was in Alaska and cruise south to Vancouver on the Star last September. It was the last cruise on the schedule . I do not like the cold so was very pleasantly surprised when temp was mis 50's to low 60 for most days on land tour. Very little rain so got to see Denali. Layers and light waterproof hooded jacket. Carried gloves only used them a couple of times. Best item and one I strongly recommend was my furry earmuffs. They fit in pocket and when breeze doesn't hit me in the ears I felt very comfortable.

I also carried one of those folding cane chairs which helped on uneven pathways and gave great relief to the back when tour guides made their presentations. There are not many places to just stop and sit in many museums and parks.

The warmest day on our tour was right at the Hubbard Glacier . We were able to sit out on balcony in just a light sweater.

Waterproof comfortable footwear also great to have.

The dress on the ship was much more informal in evenings than onany other cruise I've taken.

Layers is best. That way you can add layers if it gets colder, or subtract layers as it warms up. Always pack a water proof outer layer as it can rain a lot in Alaska - poncho or water-proof windbreaker. Also pack one change of warm weather clothes as the weather can surprise you, especially in late June July and most of August. I live in Wisconsin (I know cold) and I have been on 3 Alaska cruises (mid May, late July and mid September) and have needed the warm weather clothes on all except the mid September cruise.

I agree ... We usually sail up to Alaska in Sept and once in May.

On the early Sept ones, we've not used our jacket once but did use an entire tube of sunblock. It was in the 70's and shorts and t-shirts were in order. But we live in the San Francisco bay area ... so, although we really don't know cold, we know cool.... and 70's are quite pleasant for us. The most important piece of advice I can give you is ... layer, layer, layer!

And .... take something waterproof in case of rain.

Onboard, it will be like any other cruise you go on while inside....very comfortable.