Compare RCI to NCL. RCI is getting too $

We are looking forward to our Harmony of the Seas trip but I have to be honest, for me RCI has priced themselves out of the market and I am taking my dollars to NCL. Here what I received on our recent rip on the NCL Getaway.

1. 2 Bedroom Haven suite for 5 on a 7 day Western for $10,367. 7 day Western in a sorta one bedroom Grand Suite and the required additional cabin for the 3 kids is $14,024 on Harmony.

2. NCL gave us (2 adults) the following. Ultimate Drink package, Ultimate Dining package to go to 4 extra cost restaurants free. 250 free internet minutes and $100 credit towards shore excursions. RCI is giving us nothing extra with our Grand Suite.

3. NCL Haven guests have all day, all evening access to the private restaurant, private bar and private pool. RCI....dinner only at suite guest restaurant. limited bar hours at the concierge lounge. What a joke.

I would expect according to the laws of capitalism they will lose more and more business to NCL as they price themselves out of the market. Time will tell.

I've been considering the same, and have some thoughts that I'd like to add to this thread.

I wonder if RC isn't pricing themselves out of this market, but rather positioning themselves to be in more of the premium market.

That would force them to reposition Celebrity as a premium plus category (if there is such a thing).

Additional considerations however is that they are selling out at this price point, indicating that people, including us are still willing to purchase even at this price point.

Capitalism would dictate that at least for now, prices will remain the same or possibly even increase.

I considered that at this time of year, there is also an up-charge. I wonder what the same cruise goes for in September, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are looking forward to our Harmony of the Seas trip but I have to be honest, for me RCI has priced themselves out of the market and I am taking my dollars to NCL. Here what I received on our recent rip on the NCL Getaway.

I don't know when your Harmony of the Seas sailing is to get a comparison, so I picked a date (September 16, 2017).

1. 2 Bedroom Haven suite for 5 on a 7 day Western for $10,367. 7 day Western in a sorta one bedroom Grand Suite and the required additional cabin for the 3 kids is $14,024 on Harmony.

I don't know about pricing for 5 because that requires calling RCI, but from the web, I was able to find that you could get two Grand Suites for $11,735.60 (including taxes and fees).

Also, the comparison between ships isn't apples-to-apples. Norwegian Getaway is about two years older, and Harmony of the Seas is the latest and greatest from RCI, so she'll command higher pricing for a while.

2. NCL gave us (2 adults) the following. Ultimate Drink package, Ultimate Dining package to go to 4 extra cost restaurants free. 250 free internet minutes and $100 credit towards shore excursions. RCI is giving us nothing extra with our Grand Suite.

True, but not completely free. You are being charged the 18% gratuity on the drink and dining packages.

3. NCL Haven guests have all day, all evening access to the private restaurant, private bar and private pool. RCI....dinner only at suite guest restaurant. limited bar hours at the concierge lounge. What a joke.

I can't comment on this as I don't have experience with Royal Caribbean's suite lounge/Coastal Kitchen restaurant.

In general, though, I do agree that Norwegian has some very interesting options available for booking incentives. That said, for my upcoming Norwegian Escape cruise, if someone wanted to join us, it'd cost them almost $2,000/person for an 8-night cruise. Royal Caribbean would be somewhere about half that price for a booking on Allure of the Seas.

I don't know when your Harmony of the Seas sailing is to get a comparison, so I picked a date (September 16, 2017).

I don't know about pricing for 5 because that requires calling RCI, but from the web, I was able to find that you could get two Grand Suites for $11,735.60 (including taxes and fees).

Also, the comparison between ships isn't apples-to-apples. Norwegian Getaway is about two years older, and Harmony of the Seas is the latest and greatest from RCI, so she'll command higher pricing for a while.

True, but not completely free. You are being charged the 18% gratuity on the drink and dining packages.

I can't comment on this as I don't have experience with Royal Caribbean's suite lounge/Coastal Kitchen restaurant.

In general, though, I do agree that Norwegian has some very interesting options available for booking incentives. That said, for my upcoming Norwegian Escape cruise, if someone wanted to join us, it'd cost them almost $2,000/person for an 8-night cruise. Royal Caribbean would be somewhere about half that price for a booking on Allure of the Seas.

Yes there is an 18% gratuity included in the drink and food package but you don't pay it on the free offer. It is truly free. We just did it. No hidden charges.

Yes there is an 18% gratuity included in the drink and food package but you don't pay it on the free offer. It is truly free. We just did it. No hidden charges.

Interesting because when I have priced NCL I have noticed service charges added to the cost in the breakdown section of the mock booking if I choose the beverage package etc. as a "freebie". If you don't select a "freebie" the cost is lower so it definitely isn't "free". It isn't hidden either since it is listed in the cost breakdown section of any mock booking.

Interesting because when I have priced NCL I have noticed service charges added to the cost in the breakdown section of the mock booking if I choose the beverage package etc. as a "freebie". If you don't select a "freebie" the cost is lower so it definitely isn't "free". It isn't hidden either since it is listed in the cost breakdown section of any mock booking.

Agree. Unless something recently changed, was 18% additional when I priced it out 2 months ago. And for the OP family of 5, 18% can add up. I like NCL but love me some Royal Caribbean...

Agree. Unless something recently changed, was 18% additional when I priced it out 2 months ago. And for the OP family of 5, 18% can add up. I like NCL but love me some Royal Caribbean...

It depends when the cruise was booked and what promotion was in effect at that time. We had a totally free UBP last December on NCL Jade, for example - not charged the 18%.

Edited by pspercy

I would expect according to the laws of capitalism they will lose more and more business to NCL as they price themselves out of the market. Time will tell.

I agree RCI is looking more expensive these days, but a few things just worth checking out if you haven't already:

1. Have you checked out the Royal Family Suite option? We use these, plenty of room, decent sized balcony and guests 3 - 5 only pay the extra person rate, which often makes it more affordable than GS + extra room. The balcony on the 2 bed villa on NCL I believe is very small which may or may not be important to you.

2. No drink package with RCI I agree (would be nice if they gave a lower package to non-star suite guests), but on Harmony you do get free unlimited VOOM internet for the cruise in a GS or above (including RFS) so it's not accurate that you are getting offered nothing in comparison.

3. In a GS and above you get to use CK for all meals (breakfast lunch and dinner) if you wish. Also the Suite lounge has a limited selection of free drinks all day, plus the extended version in happy hour. There is a sun deck (with pay-for bar) for suite users but as you say no pool.

To me the biggest gap is the drinks package - it would go a long way to closing the comparison if RCI offered the Premium package to Sky guests IMO.

Edited by abo

I'm going to go in a different direction if I may. I'm booked on the Celebrity Equinox for Dec.2017.I've seen videos of the Harmony, which I loved. On X we are getting the Classic drink pkg and $300.00 obc. I did a mock booking on the Harmony ( yes I know it's a brand new ship) and the price of the cabin was the same as X without the drinks or OBC. I'm talking about outside balcony on both. After the Oasis, which we loved, the Harmony would've been a blast, but I'm not spending the equivalent of about $500.00 more to sail on her.

I agree RCI is looking more expensive these days, but a few things just worth checking out if you haven't already:

1. Have you checked out the Royal Family Suite option? We use these, plenty of room, decent sized balcony and guests 3 - 5 only pay the extra person rate, which often makes it more affordable than GS + extra room. The balcony on the 2 bed villa on NCL I believe is very small which may or may not be important to you.

2. No drink package with RCI I agree (would be nice if they gave a lower package to non-star suite guests), but on Harmony you do get free unlimited VOOM internet for the cruise in a GS or above (including RFS) so it's not accurate that you are getting offered nothing in comparison.

3. In a GS and above you get to use CK for all meals (breakfast lunch and dinner) if you wish. Also the Suite lounge has a limited selection of free drinks all day, plus the extended version in happy hour. There is a sun deck (with pay-for bar) for suite users but as you say no pool.

To me the biggest gap is the drinks package - it would go a long way to closing the comparison if RCI offered the Premium package to Sky guests IMO.

Thank you for the tips. I will check into the Royal Family suite. I was not aware of the free VOOM. The information I received from RCI did not mention that perk and that is important to me. Also the RCI rep I spoke with said that CK was only open for dinner. I will call them back to verify t is all 3 meals. That would be great.

I've dined on NCL specialty restaurants and was not impressed.

One cruise on NCL was more than enough for me, UDP or not.:)

Thats too bad. Of course food is always a subjective thing since everyones tastes are different. We find the premium restaurant food on NCL to be exceptional. Cagneys steakhouse is on equal with Smith & Wollensky in my opinion. I usually use my fork only to cut the Filet.

We booked several cruises while on Majesty 5/27. We attempted to book Harmony for a 7 day GS. We ended up taking similar cruise on Allure, almost all things equal. Harmony gets a premium price, as it is a new ship. For the 7 days, nearly same cruise, Harmony to Allure, it was almost $2000 more to book Harmony. We will wait till newness wears off. Allure/Oasis are fine ships.

Of course the Harmony is going to be more since she's brand new...if you want all the aspects of a new ship, all the neatest attractions, you'll need to pay more. But if you want a great cruise with all of the perks included for a slightly less, more considerable price, go Getaway. Don't get me wrong, I love RCI, especially Oasis class, but I also loved my Getaway cruise. You really can't beat their deals. I never experienced any trouble relating to food or service - and with the Haven, it should be top notch for you!

Couple thoughts:

1- I think NCL made a change on the drink package, I know the cruise we just did was completely included no addtl for tips, but have seen in a couple places since then that the tips are still charged but the underlying package is free. Might be a case by case or a then vs now but have definitely seen both.

2- I think RCL has definitely moved up its price point, hasn't caused me to completely leave the brand but has caused me to consider other options. 2-3 years ago the only website I would like at when the next Thanksgiving/Spingbreak opening rolled around was Royal. Now, we did an NCL last year, planning a Carnival for next year and the wife is working on an all inclusive for 17 or 18 TBD. Still cruising Royal and considering it for future options as well but its no longer a slam dunk.

We booked several cruises while on Majesty 5/27. We attempted to book Harmony for a 7 day GS. We ended up taking similar cruise on Allure, almost all things equal. Harmony gets a premium price, as it is a new ship. For the 7 days, nearly same cruise, Harmony to Allure, it was almost $2000 more to book Harmony. We will wait till newness wears off. Allure/Oasis are fine ships.

If you would of booked Harmony the first week after her schedule was released......she was 35% cheaper than Allure/Oasis. I booked three trips. The prices have doubled on my Caribbean cruises and tripled on the transatlantic.

To compare Harmony to anything right now is not realistic of the market.

Edited by Beachammo

I have not cruised NCL in 10 years but will never cruise them again, food and service was bad. I do find newer RCCL ships overpriced we have two GS booked for 2017 , 7 day Liberty and 9 day Navigator, paid less than 1800 for each ( per person)

Edited by George C

Haven guests are exempt from the gratuity fees on the packages. Haven guests don't pay the room service fee, in fact, their butler will deliver any items on any menu and serve it in the cabin, even specialty restaurants.

Take prices with a grain of salt as they fluctuate wildly. Our next trip on Oasis in October in an A3 was just over $6000. The same cabin on another sailing a few months later is over $10000. There are many other variables other than cruise line name that dictate pricing and just because one sailing is a substantial savings it doesn't mean that all sailings will follow. That being said, you will enjoy an NCL cruise. I am yet to take cruise where I wished I was at home working instead.

Edited by njm5378
typo

It depends when the cruise was booked and what promotion was in effect at that time. We had a totally free UBP last December on NCL Jade, for example - not charged the 18%.[/Quote]

There is NO additional 18% charged to suite or Haven guests. If you get the promo in any other room than a suite you pay the 18% tax

We go back and forth between NCL and Royal

I agree with you I see the value in NCL's away class Haven rooms and the whole Haven area. I do not see the value in Royals suite program. Add to the fact that even in a loft suite the kids still have to sleep in the same bed since Royal's new ships do not have Pullmans in most or all suites.

We are looking at Harmony for next year and she is expensive as all new ships are but I think we will just get 2 balcony's and not a suite because it costs so much less and my teenagers don't have to share a bed.

The market will tell. If they can sell these 10k+ suites more power to them if they can't the price will come down.

I sailed both lines, RCCL as my first choice with 12 cruises and NCL as my alternative cruise line with 4 cruises. Even recently sailed both lines one after the other with just one day apart.

Being familiar with both lines, I agree that RCCL now has a generally higher price point than NCL.

I still prefer RCCL even if NCL is indeed cheaper given all things equal. Honestly the only incentive for me to sail NCL is the lower price, NCL compete with price more than anything else and can drop prices to rock bottom rates after final payment more frequently and deeper than RCCL (and pissed those who booked earlier at way higher price but can no longer cancel) if the cruise is not selling well.

RCCL I sail because of so many intangibles that made happy in my 12 cruises for with them so far..(for example RCCL has better compensation than NCL if your booked cruise has been chartered or redeployed and RCCL is generally more accommodating, generally better problem resolutions than NCL if you encounter issues etc just to name a few) so even if NCL is cheaper no doubt, I still prefer RCCL as RCCL makes me feel as a valued customer more than NCL.

Edited by roquejo

I have not cruised NCL in 10 years but will never cruise them again, food and service was bad. I do find newer RCCL ships overpriced we have two GS booked for 2017 , 7 day Liberty and 9 day Navigator, paid less than 1800 for each ( per person)

Lots can change in 10 years !

We went on NCL last December out of Houston. Prices were comparable to Royal but Jade included a drink package and some specialty dining. It was fine, great service and if anything MDR food was better than Royal. Ship itself not as nice inside as the typical Royal layout but perfectly acceptable and overall it made a pleasant change.