Concierge or Aqua Class worth the upgrade..

heatherRN53

Cruising for the first time in April/17. We are currently booked in a Sunset Veranda Cabin on Deck 8. Considering the benefits of upgrading to Concierge or Aqua. One thing that attracted me to this option was the priority check-in and boarding option. I have two bad knees so the less time I have to spend standing in any line-up anywhere the better. Im wondering if the check-in/boarding process is better by upgrading as well as the other perks involved.Opinions and suggestions very much appreciated.:):)

Cruising for the first time in April/17. We are currently booked in a Sunset Veranda Cabin on Deck 8. Considering the benefits of upgrading to Concierge or Aqua. One thing that attracted me to this option was the priority check-in and boarding option. I have two bad knees so the less time I have to spend standing in any line-up anywhere the better. Im wondering if the check-in/boarding process is better by upgrading as well as the other perks involved.Opinions and suggestions very much appreciated.:):)

I would suggest you not base your decision on priority check in. Generally, everyone goes through the same security line. If you arrive at a popular time you may have to wait a while to go through security. Check in is after security. The priority check-in means there are separate line ups for different categories. For example, for Aqua, Concierge, Elites, and so on. It might even be possible that the general line is shorter than the individual lines.

Also, Celebrity now seems to provide boarding times. In May we were in Aqua and told our time was 12PM. We did not get to the ship until well after 1PM since our flight did not arrive until 12:30. From our roll call, it seems many were planning to ignore their stated time. I did see recently that someone was commenting they were given a time and that they would be turned away if they arrived prior to their time. Not sure if I saw it here on on FB, could not find it again.

I have never been in a suite, there may be something special in terms of boarding for that category.

Your sunset veranda sounds great! What ever you do, enjoy your cruise.

Priority check-in is a crapshoot at best. A few weeks ago, boarding in Venice, we were Aqua class as well as Elite and stood in line as they processed every suite that showed up while we were waiting. Other times, we've breezed right through. We are big fans of Blu, the Aqua Class dining room and it never disappoints. You don't mention which ship or itinerary but the Persian Garden benefit is something I enjoy as well.

If you are booked on a S Class ship (Eclipse, Equinox, Reflection, Silhoutte or Solstice) the SV are a long walk from the elevator as there are no aft elevators on those ships. I mentioned this as you were concerned about standing in line

IMHO the Conciegre benefits are mostly fluff. I would book Aqua as we love the smaller dining room of Blu, better food & service than the MDR. The MDR is very good but Blu is better. Also DH loves the shower in the Aqua cabins, and I love that the mirror in the bath doesn't fog😊

Yea, not sure there is anything as priority check in anymore as there are so many cabins and loyalty levels that get priority boarding.

I like CC for the foot stools. I spend a lot of time on the balcony and really like having a foot stool. Like AQ for the foot stools and Blu.

I wouldn't book either one for any other perk because most are not really perks.

enjoy

Both Aqua and Concierge will get you expanded room service menu and Lux terry robes vs cotton/waffle type, bottle of bubbly which you can have in your cabin or take to the dinning room and if you are on a M class ship the cabin is slightly bigger. You will also get more loyalty points per day than a regular cabin.

We have been Aqua Class on five cruises and have always been checked in promptly with no waiting. Perhaps we have been lucky. We always arrive between 11-12. We think Aqua is absolutely worth it (primarily because Blu is great!) but would not pay more for Concierge.

SV are a very long walk but they are our favourite cabins. The view is amazing.

We tried aqua but for us it was a disappointment.

We were on Connie. The balcony was dreadfully small. None of the spa perks interested us. The shower is just a shower. Not going into raptures about that! We are in the ' what do they see in Blu' camp. We ate better in the MDR on Silhouette than in Blu.

It was an expensive lesson to learn but we know now.

All of the posts are right on

Being in a Sunset Veranda you have a very long walk

We have never waited more than 5 minutes to check in - the lines are short and move fast

I would stay in the veranda and watch the prices and if and when you can get an aqua for the same price you have paid, think about changing.

The only thing worth changing to Aqua is for Blu, some people love it and won't go anywhere else to eat, I like it, but I won't pay more to be in that category.

As some others already mentioned, check-in depends more on what time you get there than on booking CC or AQ.

We would not pay more for CC. The CC perks are worth nothing to us.

However, we made the "mistake" to book Aqua on our first Celebrity Cruise. Why mistake? Because we got hooked and never went back. THE reason is Blu. Just a way more relaxed dining experience. No rush, great service and great food.

So if the price to upgrade to AQ, do it! Otherwise stay in a regular balcony stateroom.

More on BLU and BLU food here:

Edited by Miaminice

I agree with most that check in has become a breeze in any class, so that's a non issue. Regarding Aqua/CC/Veranda choices, it always comes down to price differential and cabin choices. Sometimes the spreads are very thin, and you can get a great CC cabin location, and the extra loyalty points, for the same as a top tier Veranda selection. On most ships, many of the Aqua cabin locations often are not as good as CC, as they are on the top decks, sometimes under noisy pool or buffet layouts. But if the spread is minimal and you have your heart set on Blu, go for it. For me, I wouldn't pay more for Aqua, as a few nights in specialty restaurants for the same amount of money beats Blu every time. I also agree that on S class ships, that walk to stairs/elevators down a long, narrow hallway would get old after a day or two. Put me midship. My two cents.

I was recently in a Sunset Verandah on Solstice...deck 8. Loved it. As others have mentioned, it is a longer walk but didn't bother my knees at all. We chose deck 8 rather than 9 because we don't see the value in concierge, which we had done twice previously. The regular cabin was great...wish I could do it again; but as a single, it's kind of pricey!

Many good points in the above comments.

In general, I would add that for us, upgrading to Aqua Class is worth an extra cost because we love dining in Blu.

At the same time, you do not mention in your post the cost of upgrading. For us Aqua is worth it an extra cost ......... but not at ANY cost.

For us, if the cost to upgrade was $100 pp, then sure, if its $500 pp, then probably not.

The cost to upgrade to Aqua Class was going to be almost 800 dollars. So, not being spa people, we didn't think Blu was enough to justify that much. However, we did want a room closer to the elevator, and we didn't want to be under the pool deck. So in the end, an upgrade to Concierge for $300 total made the most sense. For us, this felt like the right fit. Now, if I have issues with my knees while onboard, we wont have to long a hallway hike and will enjoy a few extras as well. We are content!:):)

I was just checking out prices for our December sailing on Silhouette. Pricing for all of the veranda categories are as follows, listed from cheapest to most expensive. If I've listed two or more categories next to each other, they are priced identically.

2D

SV, C3

C2

2C, A2

2B

C1, 1C

1B

2A

1A, A1

These prices are from a very popular online travel agency. I can't say if Celebrity prices them the same, as their website is not as user firendly when trying to check prices.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

Pricing spreads are unpredictable and subject to frequent change. We're booked on a 10 day Caribbean on Equinox in January and the difference between Concierge and Aqua is about $1,000, but for a different date, same cruise, they're the same price. Go figure. It definitely pays to watch for changes.

Aqua class is much better.

We recently returned from the Infinity Alaska, yes the one that hit the dock in Ketchikan.

Originally booked into a veranda but upgraded to Aqua a few weeks before for around $100.00 per person. IMO Blu is well worth the upgrade alone and on top of bigger rooms on M class turned out to be an excellent decision.

We were a group of 6 and never had any issues getting a table at whatever time we chose to dine at breakfast or dinner. However across the hall there was always queues for the MDR for select dining.

The service was excellent and food to match. I don't think we would go back after trying Aqua.

We have done Aqua via an upgrade and liked BLU and Persian Gardens. However, for a two week cruise, we would not pay more than a total of $400 for such an upgrade. Also, it would have to be an A1.

Concierge is not worth any additional $$ for the reason's you mention. As a matter, it is not worth giving up the SV for!

If Aqua is a small amount more, getting to dine in BLU makes it worth the cost.

You won't get on board much faster with either cabin level.

EW

SV are a very long walk but they are our favourite cabins. The view is amazing.

We tried aqua but for us it was a disappointment.

We were on Connie. The balcony was dreadfully small. None of the spa perks interested us. The shower is just a shower. Not going into raptures about that! We are in the ' what do they see in Blu' camp. We ate better in the MDR on Silhouette than in Blu.

It was an expensive lesson to learn but we know now.

Thank you! I thought we were the only ones who didn't like Blu on the Connie! Our service was horrible; in fact, we booked a specialty restaurant one night because we couldn't stand the wait times in Blu. (And we love the MDR on Reflection.)

Glad to know we're not alone.

The cost to upgrade to Aqua Class was going to be almost 800 dollars. So, not being spa people, we didn't think Blu was enough to justify that much. However, we did want a room closer to the elevator, and we didn't want to be under the pool deck. So in the end, an upgrade to Concierge for $300 total made the most sense. For us, this felt like the right fit. Now, if I have issues with my knees while onboard, we wont have to long a hallway hike and will enjoy a few extras as well. We are content!:):)

Personally, I prefer C3 to Aqua. I thought the closet situation in Aqua was awful, as well as storage drawers (none)...everything over the bed where you have to reach. Blu is overrated in my opinion and you can always buy a Pass to Persian Garden. We have always had excellent service in the C3 category.

I would suggest booking a balcony. The perks in aqua or cc aren't great. Blu is fair at best. I would save the money and get the unlimited dining package. The food in the specialty restaurants beats the MDR and Blu.

Sometimes the price is about the same and if so, book CC or Aqua and the specialty restaurant package. One other important point is book midship with cabins above and below . Try not to book under the gym, pool deck or buffet area.

Enjoy

Sounds like a good choice for you..,glad you are content with new choice

we always book AQ class but we book early when prices are in our range

lately CC sounds appealing and we might consider it with a specialty dining package sometime in the future,...

I believe CC now gets an embarkation lunch as an added benefit

Edited by hcat