Last minute questions about Royal Princess- alarm clock and formal attire

lauren75

We are leaving at the end of June on a 7 night med cruise on the Royal Princess. Do you know if I should bring an alarm clock? I have gone on various lines before and some have a clock in the room and others don't.

I guess there are 2 formal nights for a 7 night trip? Does my husband need a jacket or can he get away with just a collared shirt and khakis? And can an upscale sundress work? We are trying to pack light. :cool:

We are leaving at the end of June on a 7 night med cruise on the Royal Princess. Do you know if I should bring an alarm clock? I have gone on various lines before and some have a clock in the room and others don't.

I guess there are 2 formal nights for a 7 night trip? Does my husband need a jacket or can he get away with just a collared shirt and khakis? And can an upscale sundress work? We are trying to pack light. :cool:

There is a clock on the phone. It has an alarm. (BTW - the phone on the Pacific Princess did not have a clock). That being said...we always pack a small clock that we put under the TV (not an option on the Royal/Regal), so we can see what time it is without trekking over to the phone. Also, many use their cell phone as a clock/alarm.

Generally speaking the clothes you described may be OK. It depends on the Maitre D'. On some cruises we've seen t-shirts, jeans, etc. If your clothes don't pass the MDs inspection, just eat somewhere besides the MDR. Lots of choices.

I would bring a clock and he does not need a jacket.

I would recommend you bring something you can see in the dark. We use either a cheap $10 watch with backlight, or use my cell phone in airplane mode. The only problem with the cell phone is I have to link with a cell tower to change from one time zone to another.

A collared shirt and khakis are fine if you are not participating in the Formal Night in the main dining rooms.

If you have traditional dining I recommend at least a dark sport coat/blue blazer and nice slacks out of respect for tablemates who might want a dressier evening atmosphere. I know mine folds up just fine in my airline carryon suitcase. After all Formal nights are almost 30% of the evenings on your cruise, so the clothes brought for those nights can be worn twice.

If you go to your online Princess Personalizer for this cruise, you can print off your Travel Summary (click on the 'Print Boarding Pass' link at the top) and you will then see the link to print off the Travel Summary. Look at the bottom of the Itinerary section where it will state how may formal and casual nights are on your cruise.

My DW and I are doing 10-days on the Royal Princess in October and it states "Your itinerary includes 2 formal nights and 8 smart casual nights.".

Have a great trip.

Paul

Do bring an alarm clock! Phones do not have an alarm, however, you can call for an wake up call.

The phones have a button to press that then lets you program in a time for an automated wake up time.

We do that, but also have a battery powered clock which we also set. With two alarms set, at least one of them will work.

You can key in for a wake up call on the phone - there is a button for that. We also brought a battery alarm clock and used it as a backup just in case for days that we had early excursions. However, the phone wake up calls always were right on time. I liked having the clock next to me if I woke up in the middle of the night and wanted to know what time it was. My DH had his watch on his nightstand. No big deal to turn on the light if needed.

One thing about Princess that we really love is that formal night is still treated as 'formal night'. Our home life is fairly casual and we both enjoy the opportunity to dress up for the MDR while cruising. A cocktail dress, heels (rarely worn at home) and nice jewellery for me and definitely a jacket, good slacks and polished shoes for my husband. As someone else said, if you don't want to dress up on formal night in the MDR that's fine. Just eat in the buffet or out on the pool deck.

The phone in the room can be used for an automated wake up call. It has to be programmed though. Instructions are by the phone.

There are 2 formal nights usually on sea days or some day when the ship leaves the port early. What you describe for your DH is what I have been wearing for several years now without a tie on formal nights. My DW wears something like what you are describing for yourself. I have never had a problem or even a close look by the MDR staff. Last cruise on formal nights I decided to wear a guayabera shirt which are popular where I live. It is an open collared shirt worn with the bottom hanging outside the pants. It is sometimes referred to as a Mexican Wedding shirt. I had no problems and was quite comfortable wearing it.

The phone in the room can be used for an automated wake up call. It has to be programmed though. Instructions are by the phone.

I do not remember seeing any instructions.

However, when you press the button for a wake up call you get prompts telling you what to enter.

................or use my cell phone in airplane mode. The only problem with the cell phone is I have to link with a cell tower to change from one time zone to another.

Just an FYI, most smart phones have a setting in the property settings where you can tun off the auto time zone setting and manually set the time zone. If you do this be sure to remember to reset to the auto time zone setting when you are back home. ;)

We just use the alarm on the phone but it's not as convenient as a separate alarm.

Your husband can wear his collared shirt & khakis without the jacket on formal nights in the DR without any problems. Most people do dress up but it's not a strict requirement on Princess and hasn't been for years.

In my experience, dress on formal nights on Med cruises tends to be more formal. Perhaps that's because there are generally some European cruisers onboard, and they seem more apt to comply with Princess recommendations regarding formal night attire. Some passengers, whether American or European, go all out, with lovely evening gowns and tuxedos. Seeing people all dressed up changes the atmosphere of the ship into something more gala.

Khaki pants do not, by no stretch of the imagination, fall in any category of formal attire. I know there are some who wear khakis and a collared polo shirt to the dining room on formal night, and pride themselves on "getting away with it." But now and then then will be a stricter maitre'd or head waiter who turns them away because their attire does not fit the guidelines.

Maybe your spouse could squeeze in one pair of "dress pants" or at least a pair dark color trousers to wear with a cloth (instead of knit) collared shirt. That sort of clothing would bring him a bit closer to a formal appearance.

Agree with the previous poster. Formal night in the Med is more formal than the Caribbean or a California Coastal. The clothing that you are describing is considered "smart casual", not formal. You may or may not be allowed to eat in the MDR, but if that is not important to you, then smart casual is fine for the other venues.

Khaki pants do not, by no stretch of the imagination, fall in any category of formal attire. I know there are some who wear khakis and a collared polo shirt to the dining room on formal night, and pride themselves on "getting away with it." But now and then then will be a stricter maitre'd or head waiter who turns them away because their attire does not fit the guidelines.

That's why it's always a good idea to have a long sleeve dress shirt in the suitcase.;)

You should have a wake up call on the phone. We used it on the Regal last Feb. You just dial the # and follow instructions..very easy. Have your hubby bring a sport coat & khakis should be fine. A sport coat doesn't weigh much at all. The rest of the time he can wear a collared shirt & khakis.

We just use the alarm on the phone but it's not as convenient as a separate alarm.

Your husband can wear his collared shirt & khakis without the jacket on formal nights in the DR without any problems. Most people do dress up but it's not a strict requirement on Princess and hasn't been for years.

Depends on the Maître D. Some are stricter than others

We bring a radio with a dock for our iPod so we can have music in the room while we are there. The clock face is nice to be able to see the time from the bed.

Not only have I never worn a suit, I don't even own one since they have very limited use here. The most I ever did was bring a blue blazer with my khaki dockers and a long sleeved dress shirt. It seemed ridiculous to wear the blazer into the MDR, put it on the back of the chair and walk out with it in my arms so I left it at home several years ago. While I was not in the majority, I certainly was far from the least dressed on formal night in the MDR. Now that Celebrity, Princess's competition, has gone to no formal night along with a lot of other lines, how long before Princess bends and does the same.

Depends on the Maître D. Some are stricter than others

True and that's why I'll usually bring a long sleeve dress shirt (I own one for that specific purpose). If I see others being admitted wearing a Polo in future visits I'll switch to one. I dislike eating with long sleeves.

We bring a radio with a dock for our iPod so we can have music in the room while we are there. The clock face is nice to be able to see the time from the bed.

Not only have I never worn a suit, I don't even own one since they have very limited use here. The most I ever did was bring a blue blazer with my khaki dockers and a long sleeved dress shirt. It seemed ridiculous to wear the blazer into the MDR, put it on the back of the chair and walk out with it in my arms so I left it at home several years ago. While I was not in the majority, I certainly was far from the least dressed on formal night in the MDR. Now that Celebrity, Princess's competition, has gone to no formal night along with a lot of other lines, how long before Princess bends and does the same.

I'm counting on it. :D

One thing about Princess that we really love is that formal night is still treated as 'formal night'. Our home life is fairly casual and we both enjoy the opportunity to dress up for the MDR while cruising. A cocktail dress, heels (rarely worn at home) and nice jewellery for me and definitely a jacket, good slacks and polished shoes for my husband. As someone else said, if you don't want to dress up on formal night in the MDR that's fine. Just eat in the buffet or out on the pool deck.

Or just eat in the MDR as Princess allows you to do. Why let snyone else tell you where you can eat or what to wear? Do you let people you do not know tell you these things ar home?

Edited by Potstech

True and that's why I'll usually bring a long sleeve dress shirt (I own one for that specific purpose). If I see others being admitted wearing a Polo in future visits I'll switch to one. I dislike eating with long sleeves.

I'm counting on it. :D

If you go to a fine dining restaurant, what's the issue with long sleeves? I mean at a seaside clambake I could see the issue. When eating out, I always love watching my brother. It's a laugh. He gets more food on him, than in him! I lean forward a bit, and "come" to the food,he sits back & "brings" the food to him. His wife hates doing his laundry.