Amex - American Express offer - $100 off of $500 spent on Princess

LMaxwell

If you have an Amex card log in to your account and see if you have a Princess offer; spend $500, get $100 back. If you have the offer you must add to your card.

Offer Valid 6/13 - 7/13 2016.

I have had similar offers for Carnival and NCL from Amex and was able to use them on already booked cruises (applied a payment, got a statement credit).

I'm trying to figure out how I can use this on an upcoming cruise that's already fully paid for (including air.) I wonder what the requirements and restrictions are-- can I use to to pre-order a beverage package or pay for shore excursions or tips in advance?

I have had an AMEX card for years (for use at Costco) and I don't see any offer of this sort on my account. I guess they don't like me all that much.

I have 2 cards. It wasn't on my frequently used one. It was on the one I rarely use. Actually that card has a lot more offers than the other.

Just a heads-up if you are getting Amex Platinum benefits on your cruise -- using this offer on a different Amex card will cancel the Platinum deal.

It shouldn't cancel out the Plat deal; where did you see that? :confused:

I have had an AMEX card for years (for use at Costco) and I don't see any offer of this sort on my account. I guess they don't like me all that much.

Costco City bank Visa is offering a better deal, I just got done with a chat with them. 3% cash back $500 OBC, $250 exmilitary, and the Red/White/Blue sale - free gratuity. I'm looking at the Hawaii cruise out SF in January. BTW, the Amex Costco card ends 6/20. I'm applying for the new Citibank Visa.

Edited by elliair

I'm trying to figure out how I can use this on an upcoming cruise that's already fully paid for (including air.) I wonder what the requirements and restrictions are-- can I use to to pre-order a beverage package or pay for shore excursions or tips in advance?

Looks like it will not apply. I feel your pain, I just paid off two cabins for an upcoming cruise ... then, booked the excursions just a day before this came out. I was going to cancel and rebook my excursions but read the fine print. If anyone finds a better way, please let me know but I was previously successful by paying on the balance on a future cruise on a previous offer. Plus, I just got the RCCL one.

There was a Celebrity one where I was successful in having Amex add the code to my card once. I was given the speech but in the end, they did add it. It might be worth a try. The POID is included the Amex post.

Details

Get a one-time $100 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a total of $500+ to purchase Princess Cruises sailing by contacting your travel consultant or by visiting princess.com between 6/13/2016 - 7/31/2016. See terms for exclusions.

Terms

Offer valid for qualifying reservations between 6/13/2016 and 7/31/2016. Includes spend for booking directly via princess.com, phone, or through travel agents. Excludes spend on board, gift cards/certificates, shore excursions, air/ground transportation, cruise insurance, group reservations and weddings and other occasions. Valid only on US website. Please note that hotels, car rental companies, cruise lines do not accept prepaid cards for charges authorized in advance, although prepaid cards may be used to settle the final bill. Check to make sure prepaid cards are accepted before attempting to use your prepaid card to take advantage of offers for these merchants. Enrollment limited. Offer is non-transferable. Must add offer to Card and use same Card to redeem. Limit 1 statement credit(s) per American Express® online account. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 7/31/2016, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from merchant until all items from your qualifying purchase have been provided/shipped by merchant. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned/cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you will not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer. POID: CB4S:0001

Since friends of mine have a Princess cruise booked but I do not, can I just make a $500 payment on their cruise with my card? I'd assume Princess doesn't really care who pays them and that Amex only ever sees a qualifying charge:confused:

Looks like it will not apply. I feel your pain, I just paid off two cabins for an upcoming cruise ... then, booked the excursions just a day before this came out. I was going to cancel and rebook my excursions but read the fine print. If anyone finds a better way, please let me know but I was previously successful by paying on the balance on a future cruise on a previous offer. Plus, I just got the RCCL one.

There was a Celebrity one where I was successful in having Amex add the code to my card once. I was given the speech but in the end, they did add it. It might be worth a try. The POID is included the Amex post.

Were you actually due for final payment? If not, can they refund $500 and you use your offer on Amex?

Funny, I have gotten for 4 cruiselines but not Celeb or RCI and I have cruises booked there. Go figure.

Were you actually due for final payment? If not, can they refund $500 and you use your offer on Amex?

Funny, I have gotten for 4 cruiselines but not Celeb or RCI and I have cruises booked there. Go figure.

I didn't see any of them on my green costco amex card -- but as mentioned, got one successfully added. The first rep that I spoke to mentioned, of course you should get that .... you cruise all the time. Someone on these boards posted the POID, which you will need if you want them to add the offer manually to your account.

I was offered the RCI, Princess and HAL on my blue card....probably won't use my HAL one though.

Still uncertain what I will do about the Princess one.....but will add it. I am just waiting for the sip and sail promo that comes out in a couple of days. I have a current reservation for next spring under the 3 for free, but just found out that they are not going to do a major refurb on the Grand so will probably move my deposit plus and extra $500 to another cruise....likely for spring of 2018.

Costco City bank Visa is offering a better deal, I just got done with a chat with them. 3% cash back $500 OBC, $250 exmilitary, and the Red/White/Blue sale - free gratuity. I'm looking at the Hawaii cruise out SF in January. BTW, the Amex Costco card ends 6/20. I'm applying for the new Citibank Visa.

We just got our new Citi Bank visa Costco card, for the $500 OBC does it have to be in a certain time period. We are booked for a April, 2017 Princess cruise?

Edited by galelynn

It shouldn't cancel out the Plat deal; where did you see that? :confused:

The Plat deal requires you to pay the FULL cost of the cruise, from initial deposit to final payment, on the Plat card. So if I take this deal and put $500 on my Blue card to save $100, I lose the Plat deal with $200 OBC.

I'm getting confused -- so now there's a deal with the new Citibank Costco VISA card? (Maybe we need to start a new topic if that's the case, so it won't get buried in the AmEx thread.) How did people find out about this? The card isn't effective until tomorrow, and I understand that you can't register for online access until then either. So where are you finding out about the $500 OBC deal?

(Just to clarify: I got my new VISA card a few weeks ago; my understanding is that EVERYTHING--balances, rebates, etc., transfers over to the new card effective tomorrow and the old AmEx card is no longer valid anywhere-- i.e., it's permanently cancelled.)

I'm getting confused -- so now there's a deal with the new Citibank Costco VISA card? (Maybe we need to start a new topic if that's the case, so it won't get buried in the AmEx thread.)

I agree. This may have completely different terms and may be tied to using Costco travel.

I already have a booking with more than $500 OBC plus special pricing that I can apply the AMEX offer to. It is a simple payment on that booking. It is a much better deal for me.

Not sure if it would be applicable to a friends booking. I would be leery to make a payment on behalf of someone who is not a family member. Inquiry with Amex for the official answer.

Edited by iluvcruzin

How's this for a kicker; my card has 89 available offers. My wife's card has 90 offers. Guess which offer is missing from mine? :rolleyes:

I called Amex with the POID and they said there is nothing they can do about it.

I said I've redeemed two offers for NCL and two for Carnival, and have two for Holland, but only one for Princess. Still said they can't do anything.

think i will have to call again

How's this for a kicker; my card has 89 available offers. My wife's card has 90 offers. Guess which offer is missing from mine? :rolleyes:

I called Amex with the POID and they said there is nothing they can do about it.

I said I've redeemed two offers for NCL and two for Carnival, and have two for Holland, but only one for Princess. Still said they can't do anything.

think i will have to call again

Good Luck. They wouldn't add the RCCL one. I tried shortly after I learned about it. For this one, I asked if they could apply it to my preferred amex and gave the code. They told me no. I had to use the card the that the offer showed up on. No biggie. It is nice to get a 20% return.

Good Luck. They wouldn't add the RCCL one. I tried shortly after I learned about it. For this one, I asked if they could apply it to my preferred amex and gave the code. They told me no. I had to use the card the that the offer showed up on. No biggie. It is nice to get a 20% return.

Yes, they wouldn't give me the RCI one either; that one would have been uses immediately.

But this is a good lesson why you should not pay early on cruises; sometimes these offers pop up and they are a good way to save $100 here, $100 there.

• 2 weeks later...