Narrowed our next cruise to 3 - which do you prefer?

We've cruised 3 times - all Carnival, and we swore them off after last year (Sunshine), so we think we want to try RC (with one exception below). I realize everyone has their own preferences, but it would be enlightening to hear opinions from experienced RC cruisers and maybe even some that have done RC and Carnival who can share the contrast.

We are a family of 4 with an 8 and 10 year old, so we're looking forward to better kids camps than what we have experienced on Carnival. Value is part of the decision, but in the end we want a cruise we will enjoy. Prices shown below are basic balconies that I pulled within the last few days.

#1 - 7 day Oasis from Port Canaveral June 2017 to St Maarten, San Juan, and Haiti ($5600), never been to these ports so they are all attractive.

#2 - 7 day Adventure from San Juan June 2017 to St Maarten, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados ($3900), like these ports better, negative aspect is giving up the mega ship.

#3 - 8 day Carnival Magic from Port Canaveral June 2017 to Grand Turk, San Juan, St Kitts, St Maarten ($4400)

I reluctantly put the Carnival cruise on the list because of the attractive ports, the value / extra day, and it's the Magic (sister ship of the Breeze - which we liked). I'm also reading more and more reviews from folks going back to Carnival from RC, which I wasn't expecting to read, but something to consider. I just really wanted to try a new cruise line.

The cruise out of San Juan is a good value, but with air fare and hotel we'll spend an equal amount as the Oasis cruise. But that sort of gives us an extra day of vacation and I much prefer a short flight from Charlotte to San Juan than an 8 hour drive from Charlotte to Port Canaveral and back. Plus the ports from San Juan are more attractive to me. However, we give up the mega ship which is one of the reasons for trying RC and I don't yet know what I'm giving up moving down to the Adventure (next on my list to research).

Thanks in advance for your insights and opinions.

If Port Intensive is what you want, choice 2 is the way to go. Adventure is still a mega-ship by all standards, but won't have a kids water park onboard.

If you want a standard Caribbean San Juan/St Maarten type cruise, you should at least also consider MSC Divina since kids under 12 sail free. A family of 4 you'd be looking at less than half the price of any RC cruise. Worth considering.

I've not been on any of Carnivals newer/bigger ships but my personal Carnival barometer is to not spend more than 70% of what RC would cost; after that I'd rather just pay extra for RC.

If Port Intensive is what you want, choice 2 is the way to go. Adventure is still a mega-ship by all standards, but won't have a kids water park onboard.

I thought Adventure will have Splashaway Bay by then. Please advise if this is incorrect. I'm looking at these choices too and interested in the answers. Thx

Been on many Carnival and many Royal. Haven't gone back to Carnival since cruising on Royal. A better itinerary on 2, but love the Oasis! Yes, more people, but they're also more spread out. Oasis feels less crowded to me. Entertainment is amazing on Oasis!

Can't go wrong with either Royal ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would usually suggest Oasis with an 8 and a 10 year old, but $5800 (is that all in one cabin? RC has a promotion right now for "kids sail free") is a lot of money for 4 ppl in one cabin for a week. That comes out to $200 per person per day, WAY too rich for my blood, unless you are talking about a full suite.

I thought Adventure will have Splashaway Bay by then. Please advise if this is incorrect. I'm looking at these choices too and interested in the answers. Thx

It will, and why the AOS will be a great choice after the October drydock.

I took my son 9 and nephew 11 on the Adventure last summer. The port intensive cruise had us very busy and very little time to do all of the things on the ship. We had a blast, we did go way over budget on excursions but we still talk about all the things we did.

We are taking a different nephew this summer and were considering 1 and 2 as well. We choose 2 again because this nephew has never been to San Juan and it was cheaper.

My pick is 2.

Chiming in to agree that Adventure is the way to go. Especially if you've never been on RCCL before, that class of ship is a good one to start with- and it will be plenty big!

The ship is updated, the ports are way better, and it's your lowest cost option...go!

Carnival is garbage. I went on one couple of years ago, everything was out of date, and the food just doesn't compare.

RCI Adventure - Just went on it, not as nice as the newer ships, and definitely needs dry dock. But, it will be spectacular the time you are going, since it is going on dry dock in Oct/Nov of this year.

Oasis - There is 0 questions about this, I know you will enjoy the ship. It is just a matter of if you would like to start off small and work your way up the ship classes, beginning with Adventure.

Another vote for Adventure. We have been on this ship twice and this class five times, with another booked for next April. Great activities, the ships are great and the dry dock upgrades sound amazing. Save the biggest ships for your next adventure.

We also really like Old San Juan, so if you can go a day or two early you can do some fun sightseeing.

The one drawback is that there may be a huge difference in airfare costs for four. I would recommend looking at that before you make a final decision.

We went on Adventure last October and it is a good ship. I would love to sail on her again after dry dock. I think you all will love it. If you can go to San Juan a day or two early that would be great. It will kick the start of your cruise vacation off right.

So from your post it appears that you are from Charlotte as I am. Have you checked the price of air fares out of Charlotte to San Juan yet?? Charlotte has some of the highest air fares in the country and to San Juan is ridiculous. We have flown to San Juan twice for cruises and both times we have driven the 3 1/2 to 4 hours to Atlanta to fly from there because it was so much cheaper and this is even leaving the car there for the week. Just something to consider! :cool:

Edited by bigque

Plus the ports from San Juan are more attractive to me. However, we give up the mega ship which is one of the reasons for trying RC and I don't yet know what I'm giving up moving down to the Adventure (next on my list to research).

Thanks in advance for your insights and opinions.

This is the hard part, IMHO. You really need to search yourself to figure out if this cruise should be about the ship or the itinerary.

We've done both more than once, and love them both (can't comment about Carnival, so I wont).

Our first cruise on the Adventure- it was the MegaShip. At least for a little while longer. And it does maintain a lot of the features. But not all of the ones you see on Oasis.

Everyone has a preference whether it's the ship or the itinerary (as you can see in the replies). And we do make choices on our cruises to do both- so sometimes it's itinerary based, others- it's ship based.

Over our next 3 planned cruises, we have one Mega and one locations (Adventure, too). Hard to choose between them.

another vote for Adventure. Love the ship and my DH loves being in the hot weather right away.

The air is an expense to consider, but if all things equal out, I'd pick San Juan.

We did stay 2 nights post cruise this time, was a great ending before home.

But

We did that same itinerary and it was pretty port intensive. I would have preferred an extra sea day to relax.

I would go for the Oasis- The kids will love it as will you. Leaving from Florida so much better then PR. The airport in PR is horrible- Another option might be a RC freedom class ship which is also great. Carnival wouldn't be on my list.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

Since you haven't been on Royal and you stated that you liked the ports, I would also recommend Adventure. A great starting point IMO, as Oasis can get overwhelming. Southern ports are amazing also.

Adventure is still huge with tons to do, and now she will have some wonderful additions after her dry dock in November 2016.

If you enjoy Adventure, then make your way up to Oasis. :)

You don't need a warm up cruise before oasis. im quite certain you can "handle" all the variety and nicer features and not be overwhelmed. Since cost to PR makes adventure and oasis equal in total cost I would pick oasis as the kids and you will have more stuff to do and enjoy. With kids I would think the ports might be less important. Sort of like taking a kid to a 5 star restaurant. It is wasted on them. I doubt kids notice much difference in the islands. They will enjoy them all equally more or less but oasis is superior to adventure. I've been on two of the same class ships as adventure and also oasis many times. I'd pick oasis given your scenario and it would be easy pick. If adventure was significantly cheaper considering all cost I would pick adventure.

Absolutely #2.

We did it a few years ago and would consider it again. LOVED those ports. Trust me, the kids will love it as well.

Besides, given it is port intensive do the "play" areas for the kids matter that much? There will only be one sea day.

To me it depends on your children. Are they explorers that would like the ports or do they like the attractions the ship has to offer. I love Oasis but I am biased since I am in Florida. One thing to think about is luggage. If you drive you can pack without worry. If you fly you have to limit what you pack. Yes it is 8 hours in a car but if you count the total time from you house to the airport it probably isn't much different. Oh and not dealing with airport tsa is priceless.