RC Credit Card

I'm a bit confused about why people are saying it is only good for OBC. I used 50,000 points once for a short cruise for two worth almost $1000 and now have enough points for another one. Using it for those free short cruises is very attainable and makes the points worth a lot more than OBC.

I'm a bit confused about why people are saying it is only good for OBC. I used 50,000 points once for a short cruise for two worth almost $1000 and now have enough points for another one. Using it for those free short cruises is very attainable and makes the points worth a lot more than OBC.

I've also used the 50K redemption for free cruises before too. However, Royal changed the redemption rules and we can no longer use the free cruise redemption with "sale" prices. Since all prices now are part of the continuous fake sale, it's impossible to use the redemption unless the prices are increased significantly, which greatly reduces the value of the redemption.

We've had the card for years and use it all the time. Are there cards out there that earn more money? Absolutely! But, we like seeing the points build up every month. When we swipe that card with the picture of the cruise ship and the Crown & Anchor logo on it, it means we're saving for our next cruise vacation. We use our points to either reduce the cruise fare or for OBC.

We first got the card in 2004 prior to our first cruise and it has been great. We charge everthing except our mortgage and car payments and then pay it off each month.

We have received great benefits. On our upcoming cruise we were able to take 1,300.00 off the 1,600.00 cruise and still had enough for 450.00 in OBC.

Already planning our next cruise in two years and will use it as much as possible.

As others have said, pay it off each month and it can be a huge positive for you.

I have had the card almost a year and like others have said here , I charge everything on it and pay it off each month. In less than a year I've built up enough points to redeem about $400 off my cruise or OBC.

I really like the different opinions and I'm glad everyone is honest with how they feel about it.

The honest opinions will help us weigh it out one way or another. I just didn't want to be glamoured into the hype the card says and then find it isn't anything worth while in achieving.

BUT knowing others have achieved free cruises while some only think it's good for OBC does help me question how much we would actually use it and if it'd be worth having.

So thank you all again! This is a HUGE help!

We had it and got rid of it. When we first got it years ago it was great. Could combine the points with anything. Now basically it is only good for OBC. Cannot combine points with a balcony discount, the BOGOHO sales, etc. So in my opinion it is worthless. We canceled and got a Barclays card that pays us 2x per $1 on anything and we can use the points for any travel we want.

So while it was good back in the day, for me personally, I don't think it is worth much at all today since you cannot combine it with anything anymore.

Agreed, We also use Barclays.

It makes me smile when I use it. :D

It is harder to max out the value of the free cruise lately. :(

It makes me smile too!!!! We use it for OBC. Also have a Marriott card which is great for points.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We still have the card but don't use it anymore. Once I run through the 125K points I had already accumulated for OBC I will probably close it.

The new Costco Visa card is a much better deal for charging travel - 3% cash back. Also 4% cash back on gas.

For all other purchases I use my Fidelity Visa which provides 2% cash back.

I don't see the appeal of the Barclays Card. I would rather have cash back than travel rewards.

I've enjoyed using points for OBC and twice got $500 towards the cost of the cruise. But I pay it in full each month otherwise the interest rate is much higher than other cards. And I've been charged a higher foreign transaction fee with them than other cards so I don't tend to use it when traveling.

Only you can determine if it's the right card for you and which benefits you want from the various cards.

It makes me smile when I use it. :D

It is harder to max out the value of the free cruise lately. :(

If I ever cruise Carnival, I will get a big smile out of handing it to the check in agent to cover my on board expenses.

I really like the different opinions and I'm glad everyone is honest with how they feel about it.

The honest opinions will help us weigh it out one way or another. I just didn't want to be glamoured into the hype the card says and then find it isn't anything worth while in achieving.

BUT knowing others have achieved free cruises while some only think it's good for OBC does help me question how much we would actually use it and if it'd be worth having.

So thank you all again! This is a HUGE help!

Getting a free cruise has gotten tougher and tougher because they won't allow it to be used with 'sale prices' for the 125,000 point distribution. However, redeeming 50,000 points (2X) for a total on $1000 to be used to reduce the overall price of a cruise, when you get the best pricing available due to whatever sale you book.....isn't bad either.

Add on any OBC, and it can work very nicely.

Is it for everyone, no.

I really like the different opinions and I'm glad everyone is honest with how they feel about it.!

Almost, I frequently hold back because of the pompous arrogant people who are throwing out the pay it off continuously statement, though most say it not meaning to be harsh, but when Bank of America took over this card they pulled a sleazy stunt with the interest rate, but I have avoided mentioning it for the reasons above. I had a house emergency and needed to spent $1100 right away on roof repairs. It was unplanned and not budgeted for, but that is life! I used the card figuring I could pay it off in 4-5 months. The next week I got an email from BofA that they were raising the rate to 24.5% for future purchases. The reasons for doing so were vague, but current rates and my credit rating didn't warrant it. I stopped using the card for 3 months until that was paid off and then called them, they lowered the rate back to where it should be. While I find their customer service and website to be first rate, I found that whole encounter sleazy.

Edited by BillOh

Getting a free cruise has gotten tougher and tougher because they won't allow it to be used with 'sale prices' for the 125,000 point distribution. However, redeeming 50,000 points (2X) for a total on $1000 to be used to reduce the overall price of a cruise, when you get the best pricing available due to whatever sale you book.....isn't bad either.

Add on any OBC, and it can work very nicely.

Is it for everyone, no.

Not aware of that choice. 50K points is usually $500

Not aware of that choice. 50K points is usually $500

We used the 50K redemption several times (but probably not as many as Ellen;)) to get a "free" cruise on Monarch. The cruise was never really free, but we booked a JS and they would give us a credit equal to the value of the least expensive available OV, up to $1000. We generally would get an $800-$900 credit. However, while you can still get the $1000 credit, whatever stateroom you have will be re-priced without the fake sale, so the net cost is much more than it used to be. In order to be fair and not devalue the Visa points redemption, the max value of $1000 should also be raised by the amount they raise the prices before they apply the fake sale price, but I don't see that happening with the current management.

Edited by clarea

I suggest you call the redemption number and ask for the best option for redemption for you. We still use it for everything and get a free or almost free cruise every couple of years. Could we do better somewhere else? Sure. But for us it works. I think otherwise we'd be tempted to use the cash back for other expenses.

We have used it for at least 4 four night cruises and two 7 night cruises. Yes unfortunately the Bogo sales often screws things up but it can be used on the recent 60%, go figure. And sometimes they have taken away our C and A credit. We have a cruise booked this fall and will be stacking the discounts to pay around $500 for a week in a balcony cabin with $300 OBC for booking on board last year. Not bad...

In a couple of years we can hopefully do it again. If the rules get any harder we will move on to another card. And yes the interest varies and is ridiculous. We use another card for emergency use if we don't think we could pay it off every month. There are always those zero percent offers for six months for that.

I was considering it just to get the initial $100 OBC and $50 statement credit, but then not using it again. As mentioned, other cards give much better rewards and can be used for actual cash back. Why, when given the choice between actual cash back or statement credits at a higher rate, would someone choose less money only able to be spent 1 way?

I could simply not cash in my rewards until the month I book a cruise and it would be the same as what RC is offering but at a higher rate.

Not to mention that I am not a fan of BoA for a number of reasons.

I use AmEx Gold. They do not charge me an annual fee, i got it when it first came out. I get membership rewards points. I think 50,000 points is worth $300 in cash.

I do have a Visa card as back up for places that do not take AmEx. The bonus points from Visa are not great.

I tend to avoid shopping if AmEx is not accepted but evey now and then i have to use Visa.