Sweaty Exercise Clothes

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with sweaty exercise clothes in a small cabin when there's no self-service laundry? Known options are rinsing them out and having them laundered, but who has better solutions?

I also recommend Dri Fit fabrics. Don't wear cotton to work out in, or even those satiny basketball shorts. Bring some detergent and wash your stuff in the sink each day and hang to dry; it will be dry by bedtime.

We run a lot- not because we are good runners, but it's a good way to sight see. So having dirty and smelly clothes are part of vacations for us. edit- and this is for tech clothing- dri-fit and other brands of the same thing.

So my procedure-

rinse in sink with the free soap from shower (or I may bring some strips).

dry with one of the big towels (remember, they can be changed twice a day- so place wet towel in an obvious changing spot). The best way for me to dry is roll it all up into a tight bundle.

Hang dry. 99% of the time, that is out on our balcony. And we use the clip hangers to make sure they are firm to the chairs. I have never noticed salt spray as an issue- but even if it was, it's not as much as we sweat into it anyway.

We do this every single trip, especially when cruising. Multiple times per trip. Works like a charm.

Edited by alfaeric

The big 2 gallon ziplock bags are great for not-so-great smelling shoes and clothes if you can't rinse or wash them. On extended trips I always take a little 3 pack of travel size laundry detergent packets for quick washes in the sink. Only pack Dri-fit type material. Sweaty cotton shirts are much harder to wash and dry.

Unless we do a really active excursion, I go to the gym everyday & get pretty sweaty. I hang my clothes up in the room or tie them to a chair on the balcony until dry. They then go into a plastic bag & into the suitcase we are using for a hamper. I can usually get a couple of days out of shorts and sport bras, so basically I take enough shirts for each day of the cruise.

For cruises >7 days, we'll use the wash & fold bag which works well.

Sherri:)

we bring a small container of laundry detergent always. We rinse clothes we want to reuse in the sink and hang them on the chairs on our balcony to dry. if you don't have a balcony, you're pretty much out of luck. you'd have to send them to the ship laundry.

Edited by DIAMONDRCL

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with sweaty exercise clothes in a small cabin when there's no self-service laundry? Known options are rinsing them out and having them laundered, but who has better solutions?

Thanks!

my husband wears the Under armor style extra good at wicking away sweat and moisture. they take a fraction of the time to dry out, can be easily wrung out in the sink with a little of the goop from the shower dispenser and he bags them in the giant ziplock storage bags that are in the storage aisle at Bed bath and Beyond( not food grade) he also brings 3 or 4 sets. they don't take up that much room and they have a day or two between uses.

Wash workout clothes????:confused:

How do you ever get a machine in a crowded gym?

hubster has NEVER had a problem. he normally gets up and opens the gym for the attendants( in fact a few of them have shown him where the light switches are) by the time he is DONE is when everyone else starts to trickle in. and even when he does it in the evening he does it when everyone else is at the show or dinner.

Besides washing, i get those crystals that are meant to sprinkle in the wash as a scent booster. Fill a pair of socks with them and stick them in your shoes after work out. Those often stink worse than the clothes! Toss a third sock full into the closet just to freshen things up

I LOVE this idea!! his sneakers are just too disgusting for words and I make him pack those in their own baggie too!

Throw them out and he will have to get new ones.

while he was still Active duty and working out 6 days a week, they were replaced every 3-4 months. and he didn't get the cheapie kind either. now he is a civilian with less access to the base facilities so he only works out about 4 times a week, but being in FL the pools are open so he alternates with that. he has about 6 swim suits. Chlorine is less gross than man sweat.

My husband and I are runners (and thus all our running clothes are dri-fit) and last year on Oasis we hand washed them with the Tide packets you can get at a drugstore. And then air dried them on the balcony. However, I will warn you that sometimes they had that funky odor of something sitting in the washer too long. I might try some of the other methods here, but might just pack enough fresh (if I have room, which is always doubtful) to run 5 days.

Thanks!

I solve the issue by not working out. :D

i usually workout twice a day.

i bring the dri fit nylon stuff, it takes a coupla minutes to wash in the shower.

use the towel roll up method to get the excess water out and then hang in the closet or the bathroom.

clothes are completely dry by the next day.

I have more than two sets of gym clothes with me just in case but the stuff is always dry by the time I'm ready to use it.

Thanks!

They are SWEATY exercise clothes, have them sent out and get them washed, duh!!!........:rolleyes:

If you are really opposed to just handwashing a few things:

in theatres we tend to use vodka water (one third vodka, two thirds water) sprayed onto costumes---it takes the scent out, rather than just masking it like febreeze does.

We've even seen it back stage on a couple of our tours.

The trick is, how do you get this onboard? Can't say. I suppose you could bring the spray bottle, buy a vodka from the bar and mix it up once there--I've never used anything but the cheapest vodka for clothes, nothing drinkable, but . . .

Just can't think of any at this moment!.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess I've have heard of dumber suggestions?... Just can't think of any at this moment!.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why are you so rude? I mean, consistently rude. I usually ignore you but this member offered a suggestion based on the question asked, and answered with her expertise. I have never heard of the vodka spray solution either but I certainly didn't rudely dismiss it. Sounds like it is a viable option, if one is so inclined.

Perhaps you might consider others' feelings in future.

The detergents and odor deterents you bring might not be ocean-friendly.

Also, triclosan is in some polyester products:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/09/05/346055067/stinky-t-shirt-bacteria-love-polyester-in-a-special-way

My avid runner husband and fast-walker/slow runner me won't wear that smelly polyester stuff, sticking with cotton. True, it doesn't dry as quickly but it also doesn't smell like a landfill, either.

Why are you so rude? I mean, consistently rude. I usually ignore you but this member offered a suggestion based on the question asked, and answered with her expertise. I have never heard of the vodka spray solution either but I certainly didn't rudely dismiss it. Sounds like it is a viable option, if one is so inclined.

Perhaps you might consider others' feelings in future.

There's been a number of ridiculous ideas for what what is a petty and mundane inconvenience. It's like people need a solution for absolutely everything.

You might have to wear the same gym gear two days in a row? If it's such a hardship why don't we all just stay home instead?

Edited by Penciltwister

Just a friendly heads up if you are sending your gym clothes to the ship's laundry -- don't send anything that you don't want to shrink !!

All those dri-fit, wick away, polyester gym clothes will be thrown into the same high heat dryers as your cottons....

I sent a pair of polyester shorts -- and they came back smaller. (and yes, I'm sure it wasn't that I gained weight -- I had 2 pr exactly the same size, thank you.) It was a risk I knew going in -- and since the shorts were roomy, I decided to risk it.

I would probably not do it again. I'd go with the hand wash, wring in the towel method stated above.

Wow. Page 3 for a question on what to do with sweaty clothes.

Yes, we can ramble on, can't we? :D I thought it was pretty obvious, especially since the OP wanted suggestions other than washing them yourself or sending them out to be cleaned. There aren't too many other options beyond throwing them away or just keep on wearing them (:eek:).