Leaning Tower of Pisa

kentlady

What is the easiest way to loook at the Leaning Tower when we dock in Livorno as it's the only thing my Daughter wants to see so don't want to go on an organised trip that takes you to other places. Would a cab be practical and if so any idea of approx cost.

Take the train. It is a direct run from Livorno to Pisa centrale and then you can walk to the tower. Personally there are lots of other things to see and just viewing the tower will not take much time. Most fellow cruisers will opt for Florence but that is an extended trip by any route. A favorite of mine is Lucca. This is a wonderful walled town located not far from Pisa. You still use the train option, changing at Pisa centrale then on your way back you get off in Pisa with lots of time to see the tower. I always do the farthest point first which is why I would start with Lucca. Easy pleasant and unrushed day.

Take the train. It is a direct run from Livorno to Pisa centrale and then you can walk to the tower. Personally there are lots of other things to see and just viewing the tower will not take much time. Most fellow cruisers will opt for Florence but that is an extended trip by any route. A favorite of mine is Lucca. This is a wonderful walled town located not far from Pisa. You still use the train option, changing at Pisa centrale then on your way back you get off in Pisa with lots of time to see the tower. I always do the farthest point first which is why I would start with Lucca. Easy pleasant and unrushed day.

there are many reputable tours going to Pisa, plus several mountain villages ex. Sienna, San Gimignano, Volterra etc. Don't miss this area. God's country. We are returning for the third time in 2017. Wines, sights awesome.

Just keep in mind it is a little less then 1 mile between the train station and the Field of Miracles. Easy walk for those who love to walk....but not for those who whine if they have to walk down one flight of steps on a ship :). You also need to get from the Port to the Livorno Centrale Train Station..and this can often be a royal pain...since most taxis refuse the short haul.

Hank

Remember, if you want to climb the tower, you need to book your 'slot' ahead of time (especially in summer). Have a google for booking site. When we did it about 10 years ago, you got free use of a locker to put bags in etc (no bags allowed up the tower...just a camera and (I think) a bottle of water). Its 301 steps up (and of course back down!). You get a breather about half way up, when the tour ahead of you comes down. You only get about 5 -10 minutes at the top, so don't hang about taking photos. As its downhill, you go straight down on the return journey. Whole thing takes about 30 - 40 mins.

Simon

That's all I really want to do in this Port aswell so I ended up booking with this company it's a bit more expensive then the train but seems to be very convenient and easier then the train for not that much more money. You are restricted to a specific time but much easier on the logistical part. http://www.tuscanybus.com/low-cost-pisa/ The drive will give us a bit of a chance to catch up on e-mails as it includes wifi:) I haven't heard a confirmed answer on taking a taxi but sounds like they are VERY expensive?

Edited by mattR

What is the easiest way to loook at the Leaning Tower when we dock in Livorno as it's the only thing my Daughter wants to see so don't want to go on an organised trip that takes you to other places. Would a cab be practical and if so any idea of approx cost.

Did this a few months ago on my own. Easy and cheap. When taking the train just be careful you don't take the more expensive one. Cheaper one gets you there almost as fast.

Remember, if you want to climb the tower, you need to book your 'slot' ahead of time (especially in summer). Have a google for booking site. When we did it about 10 years ago, you got free use of a locker to put bags in etc (no bags allowed up the tower...just a camera and (I think) a bottle of water). Its 301 steps up (and of course back down!). You get a breather about half way up, when the tour ahead of you comes down. You only get about 5 -10 minutes at the top, so don't hang about taking photos. As its downhill, you go straight down on the return journey. Whole thing takes about 30 - 40 mins.

Simon

This is good advice - and going up is worth it.

There are shuttle buses at the port that take you directly to Pisa and back in 2 hours, this would be fine if you just want to see/photograph the tower. I think to go up the Tower you may need to allow a little more time, so you can take the other shuttle bus which goes to the train station, get a ticket to Pisa and then walk from the train station to the Tower and Duomo (it is all flat and past shops :))

I wanted to go on to Lucca because I have heard it is lovely, but DH wanted a lie in (it is a vacation after all).

Getting the shuttles does not require booking ahead - it is really easy. There may be queues at peak times, there were not at 10.30 am.

we arrive in livorno 27th August and thinking of booking tuscanybus tours for our trip to Florence and pisa as the price seems so much more reasonable than the cruise tours!! do princess offer a shuttle bus to the bus station in livorno for us to meet the tour bus and is there a charge for the shuttle??

Edited by Dorkscruising

we arrive in livorno 27th August and thinking of booking tuscanybus tours for our trip to Florence and pisa as the price seems so much more reasonable than the cruise tours!! do princess offer a shuttle bus to the bus station in livorno for us to meet the tour bus and is there a charge for the shuttle??

There were 2 shuttles from the pier.

1 To via corgorano in town from which various tours are run or a block from thr bus to the train station was 5€ return and ran all day continuously up until 5 or 5:30 pm if I remember

2. A direct shuttle to the train station was 12€ return but did not leave until later and had a single return time of 4:15 pm making it not very convenient.

We used #2 but we're only going as far as Lucca so we had less time issues