No Mexican Food on Summit?

BTVCruiser

Just completed the Summit cruise to Bermuda and have one big question: What do they have against Mexican food? Literally the only "Mexican" I saw was the Mexican poached egg in the morning. There were no tacos, nachos, burritos; not even a flan on the dessert menu.

Mexican is one of the most popular ethnic foods, especially among the younger crowd (under 50) and the heath-conscious. And in Celebrity's own self-interest, it is also very inexpensive to prepare and serve. Rather than the boring pasta bar, why not have a taco/nacho/burrito setup?

Kudos on the sushi offerings, however the ethnic food offerings were lacking overall, and what was served was somewhat bland. No offense, but is this due to Celebrity gearing the food toward the palate of the typical senior citizen?

Perhaps Celebrity knew that they would not be able to prepare "Mexican" food up to the standards of the true aficionado. Best to leave this healthy(?) cuisine to other cruise lines.

Note to self: No burritos, nachos, or tacos on the Summit. Best to go to Taco Bell prior to cruise.

Enjoy your cruising.

Actually, over the past few years, many folks think they are not gearing

the cruiseline to Senior Citizens....many folks have thought they don't

know what demographic they are trying to gear themselves toward.......

As for Mexican food? I believe the S class ships buffet area has

a Mexican station on it.

We found taco salad on the noon buffets to be very tasty. Plenty of toppings like guacamole, onion, tortilla chips, beans, salsa, etc. Excellent with a cold Corona!

We had that in the Oceanview Grill, great burgers at the Mast Grill, healthier but still tasty food at the Aqua Spa Grill, and did not bother with a time consuming lunch at the MDR.

This was last done on the Eclipse.

Edited by Sandtrap328

They had Mexican food on the S-Class ships. I just won't touch the refried beans -- I don't care for them when they fry them the first time. :rolleyes:

They have Mexican food at one of the buffet stations one day on Summit. I was on the June 12 sailing. There is one station where they alternate to a different ethnic each day, Indian, Mexican, etc. I think the OP must have overlooked it.

The S -Class ships do have a much larger variety at the buffet. They have at least 3 times the space as the Summit's buffet.

Edited by Charles4515

They have Mexican food at one of the buffet stations one day on Summit. I was on the June 12 sailing. There is one station where they alternate to a different ethnic each day, Indian, Mexican, etc. I think the OP must have overlooked it.

The S -Class ships do have a much larger variety at the buffet. They have at least 3 times the space as the Summit's buffet.

We were on the 5 June sailing, and they had sushi for lunch at one of the stations. They seem to mix it up.

I just returned from the June 19th sailing on the Summit. There was Mexican food on the buffet one day at lunch. My kids had tacos and fajitas. I think OP just overlooked them.

We were on the 5 June sailing, and they had sushi for lunch at one of the stations. They seem to mix it up.

On the June 12 sailing they had Sushi at the aft station, the one that is between the two sides of the buffet, on Saturday, the final day. The station where they usually have sandwiches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, it's pretty popular among the over 50 crowd too. Not sure where OP came up with the under 50 comment. I highly doubt there are any stats to support their opinion LOL.

Just completed the Summit cruise to Bermuda and have one big question: What do they have against Mexican food? Literally the only "Mexican" I saw was the Mexican poached egg in the morning. There were no tacos, nachos, burritos; not even a flan on the dessert menu.

Mexican is one of the most popular ethnic foods, especially among the younger crowd (under 50) and the heath-conscious. And in Celebrity's own self-interest, it is also very inexpensive to prepare and serve. Rather than the boring pasta bar, why not have a taco/nacho/burrito setup?

Kudos on the sushi offerings, however the ethnic food offerings were lacking overall, and what was served was somewhat bland. No offense, but is this due to Celebrity gearing the food toward the palate of the typical senior citizen?

What exactly is the palate of the typical senior citizen?

What is the typical senior citizen?

.maybe OP just missed the Mexican food offerings...why blame folks over 50?

Mexican food is high carb...so maybe not as healthy as described...tasty but carby...

Edited by hcat

What exactly is the palate of the typical senior citizen?

What is the typical senior citizen?

.maybe OP just missed the Mexican food offerings...why blame folks over 50?

Mexican food is high carb...so maybe not as healthy as described...tasty but carby...

Not only not that healthy.....the nacho, burrito set up they want is not really Mexican food.

Edited by Charles4515

I just returned from the June 19th sailing on the Summit. There was Mexican food on the buffet one day at lunch. My kids had tacos and fajitas. I think OP just overlooked them.

Overlooking things is so very easy to do. Totally understandable! :)

Where did you get the idea that Mexican food is healthy? This is the nutritional statement for a Taco Bell Burrito Supreme -

Amount Per Serving

Calories 400Calories from Fat 130

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 15g23%

Saturated Fat 6g30%

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 30mg10%

Sodium 1140mg48%

Total Carbohydrates 51g17%

Dietary Fiber 8g32%

Sugars 4g

Protein 17g

Vitamin A 10% • Vitamin C 8%

Calcium 20% • Iron 20%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

INGREDIENTS: Burrito Supreme® (Flour Tortilla: Enriched wheat flour, water, vegetable shortening ... [View All Ingredients]

Disclaimer

1/3 of the calories in the burrito are fat calories. One burrito has 23% of your daily recommended limit of fat. The levels of saturated fats are high. Believe it or not is has 1140 mg or 48% of the daily limit of sodium. It has a lot of sugar.

Healthy????

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Where did you get the idea that Mexican food is healthy? This is the nutritional statement for a Taco Bell Burrito Supreme -

Amount Per Serving

Calories 400Calories from Fat 130

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 15g23%

Saturated Fat 6g30%

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 30mg10%

Sodium 1140mg48%

Total Carbohydrates 51g17%

Dietary Fiber 8g32%

Sugars 4g

Protein 17g

Vitamin A 10%•Vitamin C 8%

Calcium 20%•Iron 20%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

INGREDIENTS: Burrito Supreme[emoji768] (Flour Tortilla: Enriched wheat flour, water, vegetable shortening ... [View All Ingredients]

Disclaimer

1/3 of the calories in the burrito are fat calories. One burrito has 23% of your daily recommended limit of fat. The levels of saturated fats are high. Believe it or not is has 1140 mg or 48% of the daily limit of sodium. It has a lot of sugar.

Healthy????

DON

Taco Bell Burrito Supreme is not Mexican food, it is a laxative in a flour tortilla !!!

Being from Texas originally I am hard core Mexican food addict.

However I wouldn't look for Mexican food on cruise ship. Just saying!

Taco Bell Burrito Supreme is not Mexican food, it is a laxative in a flour tortilla !!!

Being from Texas originally I am hard core Mexican food addict.

However I wouldn't look for Mexican food on cruise ship. Just saying!

I was born in Texas and cut my teeth on tamales and Enchiladas. Taco Bell is a very poor substitute for good Tex-Mex. Celebrity generally has some limited Mexican food choices at the buffet, usually near the Sunset Bar. You can usually find tortilla chips, refried beans, salsa and cheese, so you can make nachos.

Occasionally, there will be some Mexican at the main buffet areas for lunch. The quality is OK, but to me when I eat Mexican food here on the east coast, it can be good, but usually isn't spicy enough. The real stuff in Texas is spicy and tops.

I also noticed the absence of Mexican food on my Summit cruise to Bermuda.

In contrast they had a wonderful Mexican buffet on my two Holland America cruises.

I was born in Texas and cut my teeth on tamales and Enchiladas. Taco Bell is a very poor substitute for good Tex-Mex. Celebrity generally has some limited Mexican food choices at the buffet, usually near the Sunset Bar. You can usually find tortilla chips, refried beans, salsa and cheese, so you can make nachos.

Occasionally, there will be some Mexican at the main buffet areas for lunch. The quality is OK, but to me when I eat Mexican food here on the east coast, it can be good, but usually isn't spicy enough. The real stuff in Texas is spicy and tops.

I like good Tex-Mex but that is not authentic Mexican food. Mexican food at good non chain restaurants in the east tends to be more authentic with mole sauces etc. I say tends because there are many Mexican restaurants in the east that are owned by Central Americans, (El Salvador etc) who put their own spin on the cuisine.

OP here. I'm not talking Taco Bell food. "Healthy" option to me would be a taco: grilled meats and vegetables on a corn tortilla.

Over/under 50 observation is from visiting any Mexican restaurant, Chipotle, or even Taco Bell. The average age at these places has to be around early 30s. Of course there are people of all ages that like all kinds of food.

Bummed I missed the Mexican day at the buffet. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by BTVCruiser

We were on the Summit this winter for seven weeks and there were Mexican "makings" almost everyday in the Oceanview... tucked on the port side / aft mid stations.

In fact there were a contingent of Mexicans cruising one (two?) week and there was a major Mexican buffet one night

I like good Tex-Mex but that is not authentic Mexican food. Mexican food at good non chain restaurants in the east tends to be more authentic with mole sauces etc. I say tends because there are many Mexican restaurants in the east that are owned by Central Americans, (El Salvador etc) who put their own spin on the cuisine.

Yes, I think there is that Central American influence.

Of course, Mexican food (not Tex-Mex) is more like Spanish food, with some of the same Tex-Mex character.