Cabana's @Labadee - are they nuts?

I am glad we got to experience a cabana on Labadee back in 2013 for $175.00 (Hillside). We were upgraded to one on Barefoot Beach for no extra cost including getting the gold wrist band and eating the upgraded lunch. I say that I said am glad because I will not pay the current prices, even though we enjoyed the day very much! :cool:

Std cabanas are $295 on BB. Worth the it to me. If anything, the price increase make it more likely I can get a BB cabana.

My wife and I did a 4 night cruise on Liberty for $500 for the both of us. I can't imagine spending 400 on a hut for a few hours. However, putting the price in Canadian dollars isn't really fair for judging price. Your dollar is weaker and that makes royal prices higher to you now but that doesn't mean they are that high for everyone. Royal certainly isn't gonna adjust price for that because your currency is weak. That is just the cost of coming to the US for vacation. The Brits, brexit and all, still enjoy a nice discount in the US. And

For me it is expensive to go there for a vacation.

?????

How is it unfair for the OP to put the price in Canadian dollars? It was clearly stated in U.S. dollars first. Do you really think that the OP is not aware of the difference. Perhaps it is you who is unaware. IMO the whole comment in bold was unnecessary. And I also agree that the price is ridiculous. We (4 couples) paid $240 for an over-the-water cabana a few years ago and we thought the price was high then. A $160 increase in such a short time is a bit too much.

Harry

Edited by traveling1969

Std cabanas are $295 on BB. Worth the it to me. If anything, the price increase make it more likely I can get a BB cabana.

Yes I could possibly go up to that amount but it is the four or five hundred dollar price that I see people quoting that I would not do!

Not sure who is nuts, the people who price them or the people who pay the price. Labadee had nothing for us, we stayed onboard.

LOL! The one time you went there you didn't even get off to check it out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So we've been to Labadee several times over the years and we always got a cabana. On our last trip there the only reason we got one was because we shared it with my sister and her BF so splitting the cost made it palatable. Today DW was looking at the price for our upcoming cruise on the Freedom. $400USD or about $550 CAN. Sorry Royal, but you're a little off base there. In no universe is 6 hours in a hut worth that kind of money. I could book a 3 day cruise on the Enchantment for about less than double that amount.

Now I know why so many of the cabanas were empty the last few times we visited Labadee.

6 hours just might make it worthwhile. When I was there on Freedom she arrived at 10am and departed at 3pm ;) I thought $250 was a lot.

On my 60th birthday cruise on Oasis we spent about $3800 for the entire vacation of which $250 was for an over the water cabana on Nellie's Beach. That day was one of the highlights of the cruise for Marie and I. Would I do it again at the higher price, sure. And it is nice to know there will be fewer people to compete with in 2018 when we do it all over again. :D

And for all of you with your implied comments, I am not crazy. :rolleyes:

On my upcoming Anthem sailing, all the BB cabanas (standard, over the water, hilltop) can only be reserved by Suite guests (GS and up).

The only ones available to the rest of us are the Nellie's beach over the water for $450 the cheaper Nellie's beach cabanas ($395) are all sold out

Edited by hansolosmom

Yes I could possibly go up to that amount but it is the four or five hundred dollar price that I see people quoting that I would not do!

Yea, I don't know why everyone just gravitate to those pricey OTW ones anyway when discussing the price

The real test for me will be in October. We always went with an OTW until prices went up. Since then we've only done beach front because we had the one grandkid with us. No grandkids this trip...decisions, decision...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. It's outrageous!

However, if people are renting and splitting the cost all RCI sees is that the cabanas are moving at the ridiculous price. And the price isn't going to come down until people just start passing them up. I want nothing to do with them at this price and I don't care how many ways I'd be splitting the cost.

On my upcoming Anthem sailing, all the BB cabanas (standard, over the water, hilltop) can only be reserved by Suite guests (GS and up).

The only ones available to the rest of us are the Nellie's beach over the water for $450 the cheaper Nellie's beach cabanas ($395) are all sold out

It helps when you have access to the Concierge, or know someone staying in a suite. ;)

Okay

This will be our 6th. time to Labadee and we never booked a cabana.

Are we cheap? NO.

This year we are doing 2 excursions, jet ski and Zip line.

Approx. $600 for the three of us.

We are busy people, and love to do fun stuff.

To those who book cabanas, enjoy, if it is what makes you happy.

The cost is what it is.

One day we will probably be booking one as we see the need.

But for now leaving them for someone else.

Safe travels.

The last two times we've been to Labadee we had an OW cabana on Barefoot Beach. The first time was a much more enjoyable experience. Our attendant was very good. The last time we ended up getting most of our own drinks, because the attendant came by in the beginning and then we never really saw him after that. If I have to leave to go find an attendant, I might as well walk to the bar. Not the end of the world, and we still had a nice day, but not exactly the experience we were paying for.

Might take a pass if it were just my husband and I. There are plenty of loungers available on BFB.

Happy for those of you who can afford the pay for the cabanas. We are not beach folks and living in FL we have the Gulf and the Ocean, why would we want a cabana in Haiti?

We will enjoy the awesome ship while others enjoy Labadee. We got off ship when we were there prior cruise. Will remain on ship and enjoy peace and quiet. We will not get off ship in Nassau either as there is nothing of interest for us there. Been there many times. Love the ship on port days.

DH and I also choose to get a cabana every time we are in Labadee. Why because we can. It's the same reason we choose to book a suite over a $400 room.

We work hard to play hard :cool:

Us too. We usually get the over water cabanas -- we like the shade, bottled water, lounges and the exceptional private service-- we tip well and are remembered each time. That being said, next week I am staying on the ship. Spa day!

To each his own... $500 is valued differently by each individual based upon their current needs and desires.

It would be outrageous for RC not to test the limits of peoples cabana infatuation . ;)

Large amount of money but many folks love to get all the "extras" .

Thumbs up if it helps keep cruise prices from going up for me. :D

It seems high but people spend $100pp on the zipline and that stays busy. If you have a family of 4 doing the zipline its the same as a family renting a cabana all day. Looking at it that way the cabana is a better deal to me for a group.

It would be outrageous for RC not to test the limits of peoples cabana infatuation . ;)

Large amount of money but many folks love to get all the "extras" .

Thumbs up if it helps keep cruise prices from going up for me. :D

Unfortunately, the cabana prices will not keep cruise prices from going up for you, me, or anyone else. RCI will try to find the price point to maximize revenue stream from all sources. They are not going to give folks a break on cruise fare just because they find a cash stream someplace else.

Maybe I think too frugally, but I think paying $100 pp for one zipline and so much $ for cabanas for a few hours would bother me..even if I had lots of money. Just seems a bit wasteful to me and I'd feel "ripped off".

That being said, everyone's priorities surely are different.

Unfortunately, the cabana prices will not keep cruise prices from going up for you, me, or anyone else. RCI will try to find the price point to maximize revenue stream from all sources. They are not going to give folks a break on cruise fare just because they find a cash stream someplace else.
Very true but the current pricing model of rapid capacity growth and maximizing revenue from the "extras" works for me . In 2 weeks I'm on NCL's Epic with a balcony for a hundred a day + perks . There are deal to be had . The cruiselines may not like it but they are determined to get as much as they can from all other revenue sources . I liken it to restaurants which break even on the mains with the profits coming from beverages , appetizers and desserts .

So we've been to Labadee several times over the years and we always got a cabana. On our last trip there the only reason we got one was because we shared it with my sister and her BF so splitting the cost made it palatable. Today DW was looking at the price for our upcoming cruise on the Freedom. $400USD or about $550 CAN. Sorry Royal, but you're a little off base there. In no universe is 6 hours in a hut worth that kind of money. I could book a 3 day cruise on the Enchantment for about less than double that amount.

Now I know why so many of the cabanas were empty the last few times we visited Labadee.

They are not pricing the cabana's so everyone can enjoy. They are pricing them so that, I am guessing at the number of cabanas-say 10 of them are filled. So, they continue to raise the price till they see a drop off in booking of all cabana's and then they will do one of 2 things: reduce price slightly to get fully booked cabana's or offer discount. At higher prices they can live with some empty ones on occasion. My guess is they will offer discount when needed.

Cruise lines are doing this in many areas. It has everything to do with maximum profit.