Eating crab

spidybabe

On another site I read that most cruises will serve crab on an Alaska cruise. Does NCL do this? Is there any chance of getting crab, even for an add on price on NCL Pearl? Would be great if we could

Safe sailing

Thanks for any info

Edited by spidybabe

On another site I read that most cruises will serve crab on an Alaska cruise. Does NCL do this? Is there any chance of getting crab, even for an add on price on NCL Pearl? Would be great if we could

Safe sailing

Thanks for any info

I didn't see it on the menu in the main dining rooms, only lobster was available for a surcharge.

As far as NCL, not that we know of - one of our BIL/SIL did the Pearl last season and didn't mention anything on any kind of crabs ... fresh, soft shell, jumbo Alaska, etc. King crabs or any crabs ??

Maryland's blue crabs, including soft shells, are in season - love them curried spicy, steamed, messy to eat - a much shorter weekend trip for us being New Yorker.

Come to think of it, didn't see crabcake specials on the Breakaway last month either ... or, did we missed it ... the real crabmeat is expensive, the imitation ones served in Shanghai Noodles in soup broth didn't count.

NCL has fleetwide menus. Which is not to say that all ships have the same menu, because at any given time, some ships will have newer fleetwide menus, and some will still be using older fleetwide menus. The previous menus used to have a "Chef's Regional Specialty" dish every night, which was a recipe vaguely associated with the area of the world you were sailing in, but the ingredients were not locally sourced or anything crazy like that.

I think the food in the buffet (for example, the theme nights) may vary more from ship to ship and from region to region. But I would not expect to see crab legs on the buffet in Alaska.

(My last cruise to Alaska, I did eat a lot of crab, because it was a Princess ship, with the Crab Shack. But I really doubt it was Alaskan crab, I guess was the same frozen Russian crab that they distribute to all their ships for the Crab Shack.)

Safe sailing

Thanks for any info

If they do it would be the same frozen crab that you would get at home. Crab season is not during tourist season in AK.

If you want "fresh" crab, you'll have to go to a restaurant onshore. The ship's menus don't really vary according to location. There is no "fresh" seafood at all on a ship...it's all frozen, just like you buy at home! Yes...even the "so-called" fresh" fish in the display case has been previously frozen....it's a law. Freezing kills the parasites that are in seafood.

Well, NCL doesn't have a formal night, so there you go.

Having formal nights is not what makes or breaks my cruise it's just having it lobster on my cruise makes it a little bit more special....

Not spending extra just to have it. Not worth it! I know what real lobster tastes like. ;)

We've taken a shore excursion to a lodge where we ate unlimited crab, still talk about how great that day was, absolutely fresh and delicious. Think it might have been Ketchikan. We've also gone out on a boat to catch crab, which was fun because we had a small group of kids they brought along for the ride. The kids were so excited, it really added to the experience