Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I want water in plastic bottles so I can take it with me in port and with a koozie to keep it pretty cold .

I also bring it to pool - same deal . I am perfectly fine with ship water , even horrors, from the bathroom faucet .

I will be bringing 4 - 6 waters to the port with me a week from now . If not allowed , it will be emptied and brought on board .

If that's not acceptable , then we will have a problem .

Just checked on the NCL website and the purchase price for a 24 pack of Aquafina is $70 plus change (down from $79 plus last week).

However, if you don't sign in to NCL.com and then place the order as a "gift", the price drops to $59 plus change.

Regardless, the price is still outrageous, but perhaps NCL is drooping the prices bit-by-bit until they find an acceptable price point.

Interesting . Still outrageous , as you said , but interesting and a little pathetic on their part . Edited by richstowe

they will let you bring 2 bottles of wine because they can charge you a corkage fee. why cant you bring to bottles of soda onboard becuase they cant charge you for a twist off fee

I would pay a small convenience fee to bring on some caffeine free diet coke.

Just checked on the NCL website and the purchase price for a 24 pack of Aquafina is $70 plus change (down from $79 plus last week).

However, if you don't sign in to NCL.com and then place the order as a "gift", the price drops to $59 plus change.

Regardless, the price is still outrageous, but perhaps NCL is drooping the prices bit-by-bit until they find an acceptable price point.

The price you see in the pre cruise planner will INCLUDE the 18% gratuity and the price listed in gifts and services (without logging in) will show the price BEFORE the 18% gratuity. $59.95+18%=$70.74 which equates to $2.95/bottle.

A similar bottle of water would be INCLUDED in the beverage package on all their competitors at no additional cost!

NCL has gotten pretty stingy with the water in the suites over the years. My first suite in 2010 got you 2 1 liter bottles of spring water. Each year the amount was less and less. My last NCL suite cruise had it down to one small bottle of Aquafina. This never made sense to me. There are 2-4 people in each suite...why 1 bottle of water? Would it not make sense to give 4 small bottles or none at all? Its just weird. Why only give water to one person? Or do they expect everyone to take a sip from the bottle?

Edited by david_sobe

I've been researching this as well, as has my cardiologist (primarily because he is an avid cruiser as well so this is fun for him - go figure). He's working the medical literature, I'm looking at engineering stuff.

What we have found so far (would link but most is behind paywalls) is that correlation does not equal causation as far as swelling and ship's water...

1> Assuming systems are properly maintained there is no dietarily significant sodium in ships water no matter where you get it, tap, etc. So if you are swelling its not from that.

2> (This one came from the cardiologist, not sure where he got it but sounds reasonable). The sodium content of ship food is truly excessive, in part to compensate for the relatively flat water used in making it (and quite frankly because it makes cheaper food taste better). They also still use MSG. Expect sodium content of soups and stews to be as much as double that on land if not more.

2a> There is some literature that suggests sea air may contribute to sodium levels either through absorption or triggering increase drinking and appetite. No peer reviewed studies found.

3> There IS chlorine in the water when not used from a filtered source. That said medically speaking (again, he is a doctor), while folks have suggested chlorine can cause swelling he found nothing in the database to support this in terms of peer reviewed research so far.

4> Some people for medical reasons should avoid highly chlorinated water. These folks should try to drink water from filtered sources (basically, anything other than the bathroom taps) as the chlorine is mostly removed (again, assuming filters are properly maintained). Letting water aerate for a few hours can also remove chlorine but this may not be practical on a cruise ship.

It narrows down to, if you are swelling, the most likely causes are (in order):

A - The food

B - Changes in exercise and activity level (which also may increase water intake)

C - A medical condition exacerbated by shipboard life

D - Climate changes from personal norm

E (Maybe) - Chlorine intolerance or reaction to some other element.

Here is my unscientific finding for my own situation...the first cruise I did not bring water with me was the Gem last summer. My feet and ankles swelled so badly I could only wear my pool sandals. Because of a medical situation earlier in the summer, i was extremely cautious and aware of making sure I stayed hydrated. I was drinking a lot of water from the buffet and my ice bucket.

I don't know what caused the swelling but the only difference from my four prior cruises was the water source. I don't mind paying a reasonable mark-up for bottled water but the current prices are outrageous and "customer care" is seriously lacking.

I want water in plastic bottles so I can take it with me in port and with a koozie to keep it pretty cold .

I also bring it to pool - same deal . I am perfectly fine with ship water , even horrors, from the bathroom faucet .

I will be bringing 4 - 6 waters to the port with me a week from now . If not allowed , it will be emptied and brought on board .

If that's not acceptable , then we will have a problem .

Interesting . Still outrageous , as you said , but interesting and a little pathetic on their part .

I just want to thank you on behalf of all the passengers that will be stuck behind you in line as you grandstand for your precious 6 bottles.....

The new policy is not great and there are many things wrong with it but to puff your chest out and stomp your feet like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum directed at the poor 1) guest services people 2) security personnel and 3) local dock workers who have ZERO say in policy but will be forced to deal with idiots like you.

Call, write, Tweet, take an ad out in USA Today, hire a sky writer to complain...... but jeepers at least be considerate for the equally aggregated passengers and stressed out workers making low wages..... these same workers who may have disciplinary action against them if they don't "capture" rogue bottles of water....

so, you go ahead and show FDR and NCL how you aren't going to take it... we all thank you

Corporate communications must be consistent. If they responded, they would only repeat the current policy. Many people would be outraged by that. It is seen as aggressive. So the best course of action for NCL is to NOT communicate in public forums, etc. until there is an actual change or clarification.

Thank God for CC, if it weren't for this site, a lot of people would be in the dark being it was kept hush-hush.

I checked it out without logging on.

Price did change ...24-pack (1-liter bottles) $59.95 USD. 18% gratuities & service charge totaling $70.74 :rolleyes: Still inflated! :cool:

Don't care how big the bottle is, that's still a lot of money just for water.

Don't care how big the bottle is' date=' that's still a lot of money just for water.[/quote']

Well, if the bottle was a 55 gallon drum then it wouldn't be a lot of money...... so technically you do care how big the bottle is. 😉

Edited by esm54687

You are quite welcome . Glad to help . :)

Hooray. Can't wait - showtime !! :D Press corp. invited ???? for live update, as that would be nice.

Scenes played out daily at airports all over - oversea nonstops bound for USA included - for the TSA security theatrics, bring them on to the cruise terminals. We usually stop by the airport club lounge for beverages, airside; and, on domestic flight, allowed to board - no questions asked.

I wonder if the cruise terminal security contractors have received refresher training on proper protocol and screening guidelines specific to NCL. No groping while searching for all contraband, please remind & warn them.

Otherwise, who is really to blame for long lines and delays in boarding. :eek:

NCL has gotten pretty stingy with the water in the suites over the years. My first suite in 2010 got you 2 1 liter bottles of spring water ... My last NCL suite cruise had it down to one small bottle of Aquafina ...

Fun question - would it surprise you if they will just leave a water pitcher in all the suites for future NCL cruise ??

Edited by mking8288

NCL certainly is casting a poor image in the Public Relations dept. All the culture changes at NCL now known as NCLH is due to the Chairmanship of Frank Del Rio-CEO. When NCL merged with Prestige Cruise Lines, Del Rio and the Board was quick to cut the throat of Keven Sheehan who really was the one responsible for turning the company around. Sheehan suddenly left, and Del Rio (known as a throat cutter) who came from the much smaller Prestige Cruise Lines took over at the helm.

Once Apollo Management a private investment company injected a huge amount of money into NCL wanted a large portion of their investment back, NCL went public with Apollo Management selling most of the shares to the general public. Star Cruise Lines sold a big portion of their stock holdings to the general public and Genting Hong Kong became a big owner.

Frank Del Rio is "nickel and diming" NCL passengers to death. NCL's Guest Services is a nightmare and complaints are continuous across the board. The advent off the UBP and UDP has created much smaller portions in the speciality eating venues and these so-called UDP's and UBP's are designed to screw the passengers. The 18% gratuity charged to passengers for these programs do not go to the staff within the dining areas or bars. The 18% goes to the corporate coffers for profits. NCL tells passengers one thing and then do what they want. NCL is a marketing liar.

We are platinum cruisers with 25 cruises on NCL and have spent over $80,000 with NCL booking cruises over the years.

With the change in culture at NCL we will complete our final 3 bookings, but after these cruises we will move on to other cruise lines who respect the guests/passengers and don't nickel and dime them.

Del Rio doesn't care about guests and passengers, but only cares about the stock price and his own pocket where he owns a vast amount of shares, get stock options in vast amounts and his own interests, in addition to Millions of dollars in current annual salary. Read the annual report of NCLH where this information has to be fully disclosed.

The loyalty to NCL is waning quickly and Del Rio, Andy Stuart, Wendy Beck and Alice Moore all need to understand that the cruise industry is highly competitive and there are many choices of great cruise lines to choose from. Del Rio got caught with his pants down on the "taking food out of the buffet to your rooms", and provided the excuse when he walks the hallways of ships on visitations he saw too many dirty dishes outside in the hallway.

If you want to see an interesting thread, check this out on CC.

So many complaints and such poor service.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376113

We are at 8 days since the new policy was announced. There have been an average of 216 posts a day to this thread. Most of those posts regard this change as being non consumer friendly and many have expressed their intention to cancel or to stop cruising with NCL.

THE POLICY HAS NOT EVEN GONE INTO EFFECT :eek:

I will be very interested to see what happens in the few weeks following the July 15th implementation date.

Honestly if I didn't have non refundable flights for my October transatlantic on the Epic (with no alternate options on other lines for the specific dates/cities) I would cancel and take my business elsewhere. It's not this one policy, it's the MANY changes in policies and the uncertainty as to what is going to change next and possibly reduce the value of my cruise experience.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

We are at 8 days since the new policy was announced. There have been an average of 216 posts a day to this thread. Most of those posts regard this change as being non consumer friendly and many have expressed their intention to cancel or to stop cruising with NCL.

THE POLICY HAS NOT EVEN GONE INTO EFFECT :eek:

I will be very interested to see what happens in the few weeks following the July 15th implementation date.

Honestly if I didn't have non refundable flights for my October transatlantic on the Epic (with no alternate options on other lines for the specific dates/cities) I would cancel and take my business elsewhere. It's not this one policy, it's the MANY changes in policies and the uncertainty as to what is going to change next and possibly reduce the value of my cruise experience.

Right... the policy implementation is still a few days away.

We have cancelled two reservations that were about to hit penalties, but we have quite a few more with deposits paid long ago (before 2016).

And we have STILL not received even a single notification directly from NCL about this change.

If we weren't reading CruiseCritic, we'd still have no idea.

Now... What will happen as the happy cruisers who do NOT read CC (and that is the vast majority, after all) start arriving next weekend and after, content with their assorted beverages to carry?

It doesn't matter if it is because they don't like the pricing on board OR if they prefer beverages that are simply not available on board (at any price).

They will have not only expectations about how their cruise will go, but they will have lots of bottles and cans already paid for... and their ONLY choice will be to dump them all, right at the dock.

Let's wait to hear about THOSE UNHAPPY PASSENGERS, which will number far, far more than the folks here on CC.

We would like to think there is a chance that we can continue our NCL cruising (in good part because we happen to love the huge suites, and there are few comparisons elsewhere).

But with the prices we pay, we absolutely have many choices at just about any other cruiseline, including the luxury lines.

They will no doubt be happy to accept our money.

One already has!

But our biggest complaint is that NCL is sending out notification 'batches' only after folks have reached penalty phases.

That is outrageous.

The price you see in the pre cruise planner will INCLUDE the 18% gratuity and the price listed in gifts and services (without logging in) will show the price BEFORE the 18% gratuity. $59.95+18%=$70.74 which equates to $2.95/bottle.

A similar bottle of water would be INCLUDED in the beverage package on all their competitors at no additional cost!

are the competitors bottles the 1 liter size or the 20oz ?

are the competitors bottles the 1 liter size or the 20oz ?

It depends on the competitor. Some are 20oz, some are 1/2 liter, some even allow a variety of options from 16oz to 1.5 liter, from still water to sparkling. Regardless, ALL of their competitors offer some sort of bottled water option with their beverage package (whether the package was "free" or purchased).

The fact remains that NCL provides ZERO bottled water with their beverage packages AND charges a very high price to then purchase it. They also, if one is not getting the "free" beverage package, charge the most per day ($79pp) of any cruise line to purchase a beverage package that is less inclusive than their competitors, and remain the only cruise line to require guests to pay an 18% gratuity on what is advertised as a "free" amenity.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

NCL certainly is casting a poor image in the Public Relations dept. All the culture changes at NCL now known as NCLH is due to the Chairmanship of Frank Del Rio-CEO. When NCL merged with Prestige Cruise Lines, Del Rio and the Board was quick to cut the throat of Keven Sheehan who really was the one responsible for turning the company around. Sheehan suddenly left, and Del Rio (known as a throat cutter) who came from the much smaller Prestige Cruise Lines took over at the helm.

Once Apollo Management a private investment company injected a huge amount of money into NCL wanted a large portion of their investment back, NCL went public with Apollo Management selling most of the shares to the general public. Star Cruise Lines sold a big portion of their stock holdings to the general public and Genting Hong Kong became a big owner.

Frank Del Rio is "nickel and diming" NCL passengers to death. NCL's Guest Services is a nightmare and complaints are continuous across the board. The advent off the UBP and UDP has created much smaller portions in the speciality eating venues and these so-called UDP's and UBP's are designed to screw the passengers. The 18% gratuity charged to passengers for these programs do not go to the staff within the dining areas or bars. The 18% goes to the corporate coffers for profits. NCL tells passengers one thing and then do what they want. NCL is a marketing liar.

We are platinum cruisers with 25 cruises on NCL and have spent over $80,000 with NCL booking cruises over the years.

With the change in culture at NCL we will complete our final 3 bookings, but after these cruises we will move on to other cruise lines who respect the guests/passengers and don't nickel and dime them.

Del Rio doesn't care about guests and passengers, but only cares about the stock price and his own pocket where he owns a vast amount of shares, get stock options in vast amounts and his own interests, in addition to Millions of dollars in current annual salary. Read the annual report of NCLH where this information has to be fully disclosed.

The loyalty to NCL is waning quickly and Del Rio, Andy Stuart, Wendy Beck and Alice Moore all need to understand that the cruise industry is highly competitive and there are many choices of great cruise lines to choose from. Del Rio got caught with his pants down on the "taking food out of the buffet to your rooms", and provided the excuse when he walks the hallways of ships on visitations he saw too many dirty dishes outside in the hallway.

If you want to see an interesting thread, check this out on CC.

So many complaints and such poor service.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376113[/url..

The loyalty to NCL is waning quickly and Del Rio, Andy Stuart, Wendy Beck and Alice Moore all need to understand that the cruise industry is highly competitive

Hey talk about the "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN" NCL Pirates a mean Pirate Ship with FDR at the helm !

Let our Loyal Guests eat cake and drink our outrageous overpriced swill !

Viva La Revolution Cruise Critic !

Don't give up the critical comments about NCL sinking its own customer

relations ship running it aground on continual ill found policy forcing its

loyal guests to pay high seas robbery prices for their non-competitive swill !

Here"s the announcement made by NCL regarding new policies for water and other carry-on beverages. This is straight from our TA emailed to us today.

We have been informed that Norwegian is changing their policy regarding which beverages guests can bring onboard. The stricter policy prohibits all beverages except for wine. Please review the details below:

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Why the change in policy?

The inspection of large volumes of beverages has an impact on the embarkation process and security resources. As one example, guests who attempt to smuggle alcoholic beverages onboard often try to do so in beverage containers. This means all beverages must be personally screened, taking both time and dedicated personnel.

What if I purchase a beverage in a port of call?

Guests will not be permitted to bring any beverages onboard the ship in ports of call and any locally-purchased beverages will be disposed of prior to embarkation. No open containers of beverages, including water, will be allowed onboard during a port of call.

If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

What happens if I bring a case of water to the ship?

Guests who bring beverages to embarkation will be directed to return the items to their vehicle. If the guest does not have a vehicle onsite, the items will be disposed of.

If I need to bring water or milk onboard for a medical reason or infant, what’s the process?

Guests who have special needs or medical requirements should contact the access desk at accessdesk@ncl.com. Families with infants who require water for formula or milk should advise the security team during embarkation and those items will be inspected at the check point.

Can I still bring wine on board?

Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.

I receive dozens of emails and received a phone about my up and coming cruise' date=' yet nothing was mentioned about the new change.[/quote']

We do about 6 cruises a year. Never received "dozens of emails" for any cruise. I could probably count the number of emails for any given cruise on one hand. In any case, got two of these for each of our upcoming cruises on 7/1. If you booked through a TA, it would have gone there.

"As your cruise approaches, we would like to inform you of a recent policy change effective July 15. The safety and security of our guests are always our top priority and to ensure a safe and enjoyable onboard environment for you, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages on board our ships, either as carry-on or checked luggage.

Exceptions to this policy are purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula, and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard for guests 21 years of age or older and subject to screening and a corkage fee. Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.

This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time-consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and compliance with this change, and we look forward to welcoming you on your cruise. More information on our beverage policy is available on our website at https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-to-bring.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line"

Edited by BirdTravels

ItS water..... what did everyone do 30-40 years ago before everyone was brainwashed that bottled tap water was better? How did they survive on the the LoveBoat? I dont remember anyone on there dying or have cruise ankles.... whats the deal now?:rolleyes::confused:

Im a diet coke drinker, and drink the odd bottled water here and there when a tap isnt convenient. When i cruise in September i will drink (gag) Pepsi on sea days and diet coke when i hit the shore, and pick up a water bottle off the ship for my excursions. Im sure with news out that NCL pax will be thirsty shoppers, the locals will have it ready at the dock. Will i cruise NCL in the future? Depends on if i get a killer deal over other lines. I will not be loyal to NCL as these last minute changes and nickel dime tactics arent worth the headache

Sure, but will I love it enough to spend time on and talk with the people on the HAL forum, or will I end up hanging out with the people on the NCL forum like you are? :rolleyes:

I'm book on a group cruise with NCL in the fall. I have just as much right to post here as anywhere else I like.....

Why? Do you work for NCL. Have and ensure with someone speaking their mind and telling the truth about another cruise line?! Or are you just Rude all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ItS water..... what did everyone do 30-40 years ago before everyone was brainwashed that bottled tap water was better? How did they survive on the the LoveBoat? I dont remember anyone on there dying or have cruise ankles.... whats the deal now?:rolleyes::confused:

Couldn't agree more :D :D :D