UBP and tipping

steveknj

I'll preface this by saying that the wife and I are not big drinkers and certainly aren't bar hoppers (I generally don't feel too comfortable at a bar), that said, we got the UBP as a perk on this cruise and it included the 18% service charge, which I'm assuming, is the "tip". But, is it? Or is it custom to tip on top of that? Obviously if we got premiere service we could tip anyway, but if custom is not to tip on top of the service charge except for exceptional service, I won't bother for normal service. Am I correct in this assumption? If I'm not, I'll bring some extra $$ for tipping purposes.

Thanks in advance.

That's the approach I'm taking. Typically if I was paying per drink I would round the 18% up to make it the 20% I would normally tip... but since NCL has taken it upon themselves to create a flat fee, I'm fine going with that. Sure, if you get extra service (maybe someone you go to most days and who makes you drink right away and keeps it filled) would get some extra. But, not the guy at the pool bar that gets to me after I wait in line.

I always tip some money extra. Bring 1 dollar bills, its a nice thing to do. If you always go to the same bar, it will ensure you prompt service. Is it required? No.

If you are generous in your everyday tipping habits, the same applies here. There is a lot of slow service on the ships though, so use your judgement.

Slightly off topic, but it s interesting how tip-creep has snuck in. A 10% tip used to be standard - up to 15% for superior service -- and anything down to 0% for poor service. Then 15% started being called standard. - now it is 18%.

Since the basic cost of the service has gone up with inflation, there was no need for the percentage creep. A $10 meal with a 10% tip would be $1. With doubling of basic cost that $10 meal is now $20 - and the 18% tip is $3.60. So, while the basic service went up 100%, the tip has gone up 260%.

We don't tip every time we get a drink but if we go to the same bartender or find a bartender we really like we always tip extra. On the BA there was a bartender that would notice us walking towards the bar, knew our drinks, and had them ready by the time we got to the bar. Of course we tipped him but not every time.

When in Vancouver BC and we take out our daughter and son-in-law for a meal, we pay for the meal and let him pay for the tip!!

He's in hospitality and says 20% and I'm a New Zealander, we don't tip here, so I say 10% or maybe 15%!!! That stops any family arguments!!

I just ask myself if I am in a better financial position than a service provider. If so, I tip them, simply because the same amount of money will mean more to them than to me. Another way to mentally phrase it is to ask yourself if you would do their job for their wages.

So if you would be willing to leave your family for months at a time and work 60+ hours/week in exchange for room and board and a few hundred dollars per month (you'll have to send most of this money home to pay your family's living expenses, of course), then it would not be necessary or appropriate to tip.

Edited by anonmom

I just ask myself if I am in a better financial position than a service provider. If so, I tip them, simply because the same amount of money will mean more to them than to me. Another way to mentally phrase it is to ask yourself if you would do their job for their wages.

So if you would be willing to leave your family for months at a time and work 60+ hours/week in exchange for room and board and a few hundred dollars per month (you'll have to send most of this money home to pay your family's living expenses, of course), then it would not be necessary or appropriate to tip.

I wouldn't work on a register in a supermarket or serve burgers in McD's but I don't tip them. Do you? If McD's started charging an extra 18% would you pay that and then add some more?

This moralistic crap really bugs me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have cruised NCL several times, however our next NCL cruise at Christmas from Barcelona will be our first with the Free UBP . Having booked with NCL in the UK there is no additional charge to cover tips . I think legislation this side of the Atlantic must be that if somethings advertised as Free must be Free. We tend to find a bar onboard and stick to it so we won't be tipping per drink, we prefer to give a reasonable tip, maybe a couple of times during the cruise to waiters who give us personal service .

According to stevenj the tip was part of the perk. Whether this is true or not I don know.

While I can't speak for the OP I can tell you that I received the UBP as well as the UDP before it became the SDP when I booked our cruise (leaving in 9 days). This was before the perks were changed and at the time that I booked the gratuity was included, so it is possible to have the package and not have paid the gratuity.

On a separate note, just wondering if I'm booked in a mini-suite, do I pay the gratuity up front also as I read that it not charged if in suite category or above

Mini-suites still pay. It's only a suite in name unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Slightly off topic, but it s interesting how tip-creep has snuck in. A 10% tip used to be standard - up to 15% for superior service -- and anything down to 0% for poor service. Then 15% started being called standard. - now it is 18%.

Since the basic cost of the service has gone up with inflation, there was no need for the percentage creep. A $10 meal with a 10% tip would be $1. With doubling of basic cost that $10 meal is now $20 - and the 18% tip is $3.60. So, while the basic service went up 100%, the tip has gone up 260%.

My generation (I'm in my mid 50s), it seemed, always considered 15% standard. What I always do is figure the 15% and round up to the next dollar unless the service is horrible. But I noticed that now receipts offer suggested tips and they usually start at 18%. BTW, I never use a calculator to figure tips, I can do it in my head faster than finding the calculator app on my phone :) Simple math skill have gone lacking :(

While I can't speak for the OP I can tell you that I received the UBP as well as the UDP before it became the SDP when I booked our cruise (leaving in 9 days). This was before the perks were changed and at the time that I booked the gratuity was included, so it is possible to have the package and not have paid the gratuity.

I think we're on the same cruise (NCL Dawn)!

Thanks for the..ummm...tips...on tipping. I think I may just bring a few $1 to tip for exceptional service. Otherwise, I'll just go with the 18%.

I remember going on my first cruise with the now defunct Premier Cruise line and they didn't have any type of service charges. We handed out envelopes to the stewards and other ship personnel with cash. It reminded me of the last day at summer camp when I'd hand out tips to my kids counselors. In a way this is ADULT summer camp :)

In Dallas our normal tip is 20%.

On a separate note, just wondering if I'm booked in a mini-suite, do I pay the gratuity up front also as I read that it not charged if in suite category or above

Mini suites are not suites. So no. You are not exempt.

I'll preface this by saying that the wife and I are not big drinkers and certainly aren't bar hoppers (I generally don't feel too comfortable at a bar), that said, we got the UBP as a perk on this cruise and it included the 18% service charge, which I'm assuming, is the "tip". But, is it? Or is it custom to tip on top of that? Obviously if we got premiere service we could tip anyway, but if custom is not to tip on top of the service charge except for exceptional service, I won't bother for normal service. Am I correct in this assumption? If I'm not, I'll bring some extra $$ for tipping purposes.

Thanks in advance.

You're supposed to get excellent service. You've already 18%, that's enough in my book.

In Dallas our normal tip is 20%.

And your point is???? In Dallas they are paying taxes in the US and having living expenses. There is no comparison to a foreign country where a dollar goes much much much farther and is not taxed.

Tipping & mandatory service charges / gratuities in other countries, including hometown for many of the foreign national crews onboard cruise ships are typically lower - including recent & years of oversea travel experiences ... upscale & 4 to 5 stars hotel, even Michelin star fine restaurants are fine with a modest 10% added to the final bill. Extra & additional cash tipping that go directly to the server are sometimes/often respectfully declined, i.e. in South Korea as even the maid considered that disrespectful, yes.

Of course, tipping a little with the loose change is fine at places that do NOT collect, ask or otherwise automatically add the tip/service charge/gratuities or supplement or restocking fees, etc. (NCL being the "pioneer" in coming up with all the "creative" terms in spinning their rationale).

FDR & his top dogs is counting on all the revenues for a cut of $32 million in 2016, so - feel free to generous and donate, it's your money. On top of the DSC.

Has anyone cash tipped the hotdog person working the cart on the Breakaway lately, LOL ??