Guarantee suites

divsec

it seems you are in the same situation as i was

on level 14 : + 140 days : 414

level 15e was partially a reward also no balcony

on level 16 : original 411 - yes!!!- then 502

i find it more logic : first the diamant members , then platinum ...

obviously too difficult i a time of IT

and probably i'll be the bad guy once again ;)

i hope you do not meet first 2nd or 3rd timers on guarantee in a V4 5 or 6 !

I met a first timer who was upgraded to a penthouse. Not upsell

This discussion topic mystifies me. We travel on Silversea, not Seabourn, and book and pay for the cabin we want. We do not expect 'upgrades'. On a future Antarctic cruise we have booked a cabin (in the lowest price category!) on the lowest deck (deck 4), absolute mid-ships. It will be the most stable cabin on the ship. The last thing we want is an 'upgrade'!!!

philipb I think you may be mystified because you are the Seabourn forum not Silversea forum, and you are on a thread specifically NOT talking about booking and paying for a specific cabin.

What you are doing what makes sense to you, but is not what this thread it about. If you want a particular cabin, booking it and paying for it is just the absolutely the right thing to do. For those of us wiling to gamble a bit and spend our money other ways (no right and wrong for this - purely personal preference) we hope for the best and the luck of the draw with cabin assignments.

And as for "upgrades" ("upsells", whatever) the world of travel has been doing this for so long that most of us know that this is the way of the world: hotels, cars, cruises, etc. Everyone upgrades their best passengers, the ones who pay the most, the ones they hope to court, much more seemingly random customers or at seemingly random times. So hoping for the best seems never a bad strategy to me if you are willing to be flexible and take the trade off on the price. Getting crabby because you don't get premium assignments after engaging in this deal seems like a fast track to misery!

wor

philipb I think you may be mystified because you are the Seabourn forum not Silversea forum, and you are on a thread specifically NOT talking about booking and paying for a specific cabin.

What you are doing what makes sense to you, but is not what this thread it about. If you want a particular cabin, booking it and paying for it is just the absolutely the right thing to do. For those of us wiling to gamble a bit and spend our money other ways (no right and wrong for this - purely personal preference) we hope for the best and the luck of the draw with cabin assignments.

And as for "upgrades" ("upsells", whatever) the world of travel has been doing this for so long that most of us know that this is the way of the world: hotels, cars, cruises, etc. Everyone upgrades their best passengers, the ones who pay the most, the ones they hope to court, much more seemingly random customers or at seemingly random times. So hoping for the best seems never a bad strategy to me if you are willing to be flexible and take the trade off on the price. Getting crabby because you don't get premium assignments after engaging in this deal seems like a fast track to misery!

This sums it up very well for me.

Isklaar,

So I (and I am sure others on this board) are dying to know if they found a place for you to rest your head on the ship after all? I hope it is nice suite and you have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good Morning from a chilly Quebec City, Chairsin.

I got my suite allocation two days before sailing. It's a V6 on deck 8, non-connecting so I 'm very pleased with the allocation.

All is well on Quest, happy, enthusiastic crew and food very good so far. Will start a new thread when I have some time.

Edited by Isklaar

We had one of the so called "punishment suites" last week on the Odyssey and loved it, both for the layout and position, which was very convenient for everything. We didn't hear any noise from either suite next door to us and only occasionally from above. We called it the Granny Annex to the Wintergarden Suite and would have it again in a heartbeat.

We had one of the so called "punishment suites" last week on the Odyssey and loved it, both for the layout and position, which was very convenient for everything. We didn't hear any noise from either suite next door to us and only occasionally from above. We called it the Granny Annex to the Wintergarden Suite and would have it again in a heartbeat.

We were on the same cruise on deck 7 and had a great time but not as sorry as usual not to be staying on, as the weather was getting a bit cool for our liking!

May I ask if anyone has stayed in this room , we have been allocated 924 after booking an OB GTY on the Odyssey.many thanks.

Wow... and meanwhile Seabourn would not even offer me a buy-up upgrade from my A1 on Odyssey because I'm a solo (or so I'm told).

• 2 weeks later...
We are sailing on Odyssey on 7 December , gty and am beginning to look forward to the actual suite assignment. A bit early but fun to watch for.

You are correct lots of anticipation, and I've not seen anyone disappointed. Don't go crazy like did making phantom bookings to see which suites remain available! You can always tell when the upsell offers are flying around as certain categories go ask for availability for a few days then mysteriously reappear. Great game.

You are correct lots of anticipation, and I've not seen anyone disappointed. Don't go crazy like did making phantom bookings to see which suites remain available! You can always tell when the upsell offers are flying around as certain categories go ask for availability for a few days then mysteriously reappear. Great game.

In the same position; we sail on the Quest to Antartica November 28th and are getting exctied to see what we get. First SB cruise for us (we do have a

referral coupon). Am assuming any UG possibilities will come through our TA? I doubt we would consider any of them. Am more interested in what we end up with! So thanks divsec, looks like there is nothing for us to do but wait at this point. And pack!

I take it that doing the phantom booking thing was just not that helpful. Since we leave a week early I may not know our suite number until we walk up to the ship.

I take it that doing the phantom booking thing was just not that helpful. Since we leave a week early I may not know our suite number until we walk up to the ship.

I still got the suite SB planned so it was only interesting to understand how their last minute selling works. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise. Do enjoy.

I only was referring to the process of seeing what is still available. I didn't believe it was impacting the eventual assignment of suites. As I see it there are certain suites still unassigned that are possible for all of the guarantee pax to potentially be assigned. Making phantom reservations show those suites. Of course,we don't know how many gty pax there are, but should be able to determine which suites are not yet assigned.

We are seriously considering booking for next September on their new ship Encore with the guarantee of V1 to V4 to get intro price savings if $500 pp.

with no reviews hard to know if there are really awful suites.

All V4 are forward locations on deck 8 or 9 while V1 are forward on deck 5 and V2 are forward to mid in deck 5.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are seriously considering booking for next September on their new ship Encore with the guarantee of V1 to V4 to get intro price savings if $500 pp.

with no reviews hard to know if there are really awful suites.

All V4 are forward locations on deck 8 or 9 while V1 are forward on deck 5 and V2 are forward to mid in deck 5.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

We just booked a July Encore cruise and were mulling over exactly what you are asking. We originally booked for August and there were not many suites left so took the gty for the huge price difference (our previous cruises we have always picked our suite). As it turned out, we had to change to a month earlier and this cruise there are available suites so picked deck 7 mid ship V5 for not much more than the gty on the cancelled cruise.

To your question, v4 on 8 and 9, there are a few interconnecting rooms. To suites seem to be full size. The v1 suites on 7 and 9 seem to be smaller (23 v 28sq m approx) and have shower only. Personally I would be disappointed with one of these but IMO the v4 would be ok.

The forward deck 5 seem ok but have the part metal railings on the veranda. Not having seen these on the Encore but I do not think that would worry me.

Edited by ab21au

About what time frame do they actually quit the "upsells" and assign suites? We are about three weeks out from the Dec. 7 Transatlantic and had an upsell call today from our TA. Same as before $1299 for best available V5-V6. I'm not sure this was an actual new offer or the TA was just checking about it. Now, it seems it's time to either come up with an offer people are actually interested in, or assign suites. I suppose that the inconvenience of not knowing is part of the cost benefit received by having a gty, but, at some point, it is good to know your cabin number.

I believe that occasionally people do not know their suite no. until boarding, but on our last 2 SB cruises, both this year, we got our no. (looking on the 'already booked' site) 16 and 14 days beforehand. I think this is the most usual finding. We had no upsell offers - I think they may be more common in the US?. But unless they had been very inexpensive we would not have done them. And our OB suites in both cases, in pretty full ships, were near the top of the grade, as were those of other Brits we talked to on board.

I don't know if SB works these guarantee categories differently in the US to the rest of the world or not.

We are 7 days from sailing now and are eagerly awaiting our assignment and a "place to call home" for our 21 days in Antartica. I know it may be a while but will start checking every day now. Was hoping maybe because of the holiday that they would get these done early! But all cabins still showing availability so they may be waiting for last minute bargain hunters.

The suspense begins.....