Guarantee suites

divsec

Ok, now for more confusion! Our friend is travelling on Odyssey in 19 days and today have been assigned their guarantee cabin. So SB is truly working in very mysterious ways!

See now I've read this I'll now start checking for my assignment twice a day. Or more :eek: . Over three weeks to go but I may as well start looking !

Save

Let me add another thought to Zentravrler's query. On most cruises an upgrade can be a good thing but on the Antarctica cruises even though deck 8 is our preferred location we booked deck 5 midship for our a Holiday Antarctica cruise this year. The reason is with a number of days traversing the notorious Drake's Passage I want to be where effects of the motion of the boat are reduced (hence low down and midship). Clearly others had the same idea because those suites booked up quickly. So maybe this is not the cruise to accept an upswell even at a good price?

Thanks for both comments on this. I have been concerned about Drakes passage, but have settled into just general excitement about the trip and the surprise about what cabin we get. The passage is a relatively small part of the trip and I figure if things get to rough wherever we end up I will just go sit some place lower! But also a good reminder that what would usually be a "better" cabin might not be so on this trip.

It is such an (apparently) random process, isn't it? From what I've been able to ascertain, the shorter the cruise, the higher the likelihood of a decent suite. I know last summer when we were sailing with my mother, who, unlike us, was only on for 7 days, she got a PH, when we got a V1. She has done 500+ days - i don't know whether that makes a difference, but i doubt it as i have met a significant number of first time Seabourners who have been allocated a Owners' Suite and even a Wintergarden.

I do rather feel as though we will have reason to open the NF when you get your suite allocation, Divsec. Looking forward to hearing that you have a home!

Ok, now for more confusion! Our friend is travelling on Odyssey in 19 days and today have been assigned their guarantee cabin. So SB is truly working in very mysterious ways!

How interesting - we are also on that cruise (15/10 from Athens) and we were amazed to receive our allocation last week a full 3 weeks before sailing. Thats never happened before. Sadly, the upgrade Fairy is clearly not our friend and we've never been offered one except against payment.

Marama, what were you allocated? Were you OB or OS?

Hi Tilly, we were OB Veranda GTY and were allocated 536 - right opposite the suite we had on Sojourn in August! There is nothing wrong with the 5th floor - we had a great cruise in 533 and it was handy for the ironing room - but we have never ever been offered a complimentary upgrade and were hoping to have the chance to try out a higher floor. So then Seabourn offered an upsell to V5/V6 for £199 pp and as this cruise is a pretty good deal anyway, we decided to take it. We are still ahead. We actually only wanted to be on 6, but have ended up on 7 in a V6. We may well have had an upgrade anyway this time round, but this time round it was a case of having a bird in the hand!

Edited by marama

It is such an (apparently) random process, isn't it? From what I've been able to ascertain, the shorter the cruise, the higher the likelihood of a decent suite. I know last summer when we were sailing with my mother, who, unlike us, was only on for 7 days, she got a PH, when we got a V1. She has done 500+ days - i don't know whether that makes a difference, but i doubt it as i have met a significant number of first time Seabourners who have been allocated a Owners' Suite and even a Wintergarden.

I do rather feel as though we will have reason to open the NF when you get your suite allocation, Divsec. Looking forward to hearing that you have a home!

Nothing yet Sandy, I think that NF will be a cold beer in the crew quarters at this rate. Still they are all so good and friendly, as indeed are the passengers so it won't make a lot of difference. PS would be nice, do they get soot from the smoke stack during the day. Ruined a couple of shirts that way a few years ago!

This thread has been interesting and intriguing this last week. I tune in to see how DIVSEC did and still no solution. I'll bet we find out tomorrow.

Mostly interesting to see the process as we are in an OB for the crossing in December. I really think I'll find out our suite assignment as we exit the Taxi in Lisbon as we will be in Portugal a week prior. I doubt we will have as much drama though. Best of luck with the crew quarters:-)

This thread has been interesting and intriguing this last week. I tune in to see how DIVSEC did and still no solution. I'll bet we find out tomorrow.

Mostly interesting to see the process as we are in an OB for the crossing in December. I really think I'll find out our suite assignment as we exit the Taxi in Lisbon as we will be in Portugal a week prior. I doubt we will have as much drama though. Best of luck with the crew quarters:-)

Hallelujah V2 Deck 5 port side. Thanks SB for a couple of weeks fun and expectation. Bless you all for staying with me on this long and arduous journey.

I'm claiming this one as it was within 24 hours of my saying 'by the end of today' ha ha ha. :o

Seriously, glad you finally have it.

If there's anything of interest about my allocation process I'll add it to this thread. Since Tilly's post yesterday I've already checked about 3 times - really must get on with some work so I can continue to afford SB.

Save

Edited by Isklaar

Hurrah! Divsec will go to the ball. Looking forward to seeing you around the ship.

Work days seem very long this week so roll on the flight to Athens and fingers crossed that the Jersey fog does not roll in on Friday to prevent us leaving our little rock in the Atlantic.

Sam and David

And so it begins.

TA messaged me earlier to let me know he's expecting some upsell offers today.

He knows I'm not likely to take an upsell because he knows I'm happy to book the higher suites when I specifically want one. This time I decided that I'd be more than happy with a veranda suite, don't need or want a 'better' one.

He's going to send the offers to me for my perusal but I won't bite!

As I'm going to refuse, it will be interesting to see if an improved offer comes closer to departure date.

And if I end up with The Punishment Suite. :eek:

Save

And so it begins.

TA messaged me earlier to let me know he's expecting some upsell offers today.

He knows I'm not likely to take an upsell because he knows I'm happy to book the higher suites when I specifically want one. This time I decided that I'd be more than happy with a veranda suite, don't need or want a 'better' one.

He's going to send the offers to me for my perusal but I won't bite!

As I'm going to refuse, it will be interesting to see if an improved offer comes closer to departure date.

And if I end up with The Punishment Suite. :eek:

Save

Well I didn't end up in punishment suite, for sure, despite putting in a counter offer to the second upsell. It's only business after all. Good luck with your holiday.

Well I didn't end up in punishment suite, for sure, despite putting in a counter offer to the second upsell. It's only business after all. Good luck with your holiday.

It's actually never occurred to me to barter with them before I read your posts. I may give it a try if they send a second offer.