Rude people at International Cafe. Help us Princess!

Loreni

aren't the majority of the offerings at the IC free? I hope that hasn't changed. Not a coffee drinker myself, but I was looking forward to all the delicious salads, sandwiches and pastries that had been free. And yes I enjoyed the free entertainment there too.

I hope there will be spot to sit too, but I don't plan on paying anything either. I hope princess really hasn't moved to doing this all to reward only those willing to pay extra for things.

The food is mostly free. The beverages are not. However, if you were on the cruise that I was on you most likely would not have found a place to enjoy your food. Food is free at Alfredo's too. Alfredo's keeps the card players out and the IC could employ similar tactics to keep them out. It is a great venue. Princess obviously want's to make money by selling coffee, tea, drinks, or wine. People are camping here all day playing cards and not eating or drinking anything except from their own thermoses. This is just wrong. That's all I'm saying. Princess can fix this.

I would hate it if Princess ended the entertainment in the Piazza. We love sitting there with a pot of tea or a coffee, and reading or watching whatever entertainment is there.

But what if that wasn't an option. What if the choice is either: 1) sit and enjoy your tea without entertainment or 2) stand with your tea and watch the entertainment. These were my choices and the choices of many others on my cruise.

On my cruise, tables were not available because MANY people took them for cards. There was a lovely alternative provided to them for cards...the Crown Grill. I assume they rejected this because there was no entertainment provided there. Maybe this was a fluke because it was a long cruise. I don't know. Still the behavior I witnessed was just stunning.

I'm just not seeing it. It would make me right angry if a mostly all-inclusive cruise meant that because I am partaking in the inclusive parts I am therefore unwelcome to sit in a public area and enjoy entertainment, people watching, reading my book, doing puzzles, coloring, or anything else. It's nice that you're so protective of Princess Cruise's income streams, but this feels bizarre and misplaced.

I'm just not seeing it. It would make me right angry if a mostly all-inclusive cruise meant that because I am partaking in the inclusive parts I am therefore unwelcome to sit in a public area and enjoy entertainment, people watching, reading my book, doing puzzles, coloring, or anything else. It's nice that you're so protective of Princess Cruise's income streams, but this feels bizarre and misplaced.

Let me be sure I understand you. You would be 100% comfortable sitting at the IC reading a book or doing a puzzle and not using the table for eating and drinking while dozens of people who have obtained food and drink from the IC are mulling around trying to find a place to sit? Is this really what you are saying?

Would you do the same thing at the HC. Perhaps work on a puzzle during lunch when people are looking for a table so they can eat? And in your mind this is OK because you paid for your cruise. Wow.

The I C tables are often unavailable particularly on at sea days and when most passengers are returning from a port visit. Rather than complain about it, we sit somewhere else like in Vines or if necessary on the low wall dividers in the Atrium.

Edited by Zooguy

I have found the tables in the atrium hard to get (people were eating or drinking) on some of my cruises. Mostly because there just were not many tables. Last year on my Royal Princess cruise we had absolutely no problem most of the time because there are lots of tables. Never saw people camped out but that does not mean it doesn't happen.

IMHO no one should be hogging the tables for hours on end. Makes no difference if you are eating or drinking or not. It is just inconsiderate. I do however think your opinion of the situation is rather strong. Many people get things to eat or drink and bring it somewhere else (not because there are no seats).

We have sat in the seats to watch a show without eating or drinking as were many other people. The seats are for both... eating and/or watching entertainment. They are not specifically there for Princess to make money. Also I never saw any separate eating area for the IC so my guess is you have determined that certain tables are for that as opposed to some "partially obstructed" view seats of the atrium. To me ALL the tables are for both areas.

The I C tables are often unavailable particularly on at sea days and when most passengers are returning from a port visit. Rather than complain about it, we sit somewhere else like in Vines or if necessary on the low wall dividers in the Atrium.

We did that sometimes and sometimes we just skipped it. But at what point does it become so absurd that Princess is forced to take action. What if 100% of the tables were occupied 100% of the time by card players and others who are not partaking of IC or Vines. Clearly there would be no point to even having an IC or Vines in that case. So what about 50% of the tables being occupied by card players? This can be solved with a hostess.

Let me be sure I understand you. You would be 100% comfortable sitting at the IC reading a book or doing a puzzle and not using the table for eating and drinking while dozens of people who have obtained food and drink from the IC are mulling around trying to find a place to sit? Is this really what you are saying?

Would you do the same thing at the HC. Perhaps work on a puzzle during lunch when people are looking for a table so they can eat? And in your mind this is OK because you paid for your cruise. Wow.

I would be perfectly comfortable doing either should I wish. If Princess posted signs at each venue outlining usage rules, I would obey them. Otherwise, why is it my place to set the rules?

I simply do not comprehend why one would think that I should decide that a stranger's gratification is more important than mine.

I have found the tables in the atrium hard to get (people were eating or drinking) on some of my cruises. Mostly because there just were not many tables. Last year on my Royal Princess cruise we had absolutely no problem most of the time because there are lots of tables. Never saw people camped out but that does not mean it doesn't happen.

IMHO no one should be hogging the tables for hours on end. Makes no difference if you are eating or drinking or not. It is just inconsiderate. I do however think your opinion of the situation is rather strong. Many people get things to eat or drink and bring it somewhere else (not because there are no seats).

We have sat in the seats to watch a show without eating or drinking as were many other people. The seats are for both... eating and/or watching entertainment. They are not specifically there for Princess to make money. Also I never saw any separate eating area for the IC so my guess is you have determined that certain tables are for that as opposed to some "partially obstructed" view seats of the atrium. To me ALL the tables are for both areas.

Different areas clearly have different decor and different types of tables. But yes we have taken our IC treats to Vines on occasion especially in the morning, but often there were no seats anywhere. I am not suggesting that buying a drink of any kind is needed for any show.

What I am saying is that on my cruise MANY people camped all day in the IC and Piazza area so that they could play cards. This deprived others of places to sit and eat or drink. It also deprived others of places to sit to view the entertainment. I would never be comfortable behaving like this. I just couldn't do. Obviously many can.

I would be perfectly comfortable doing either should I wish. If Princess posted signs at each venue outlining usage rules, I would obey them. Otherwise, why is it my place to set the rules?

I simply do not comprehend why one would think that I should decide that a stranger's gratification is more important than mine.

Well, I guess this is why I have heard that some ships (Royal Caribbean, perhaps) actually need to make announcement that people should vacate their tables at the buffet when they are finished eating. Otherwise some passengers don't know that they need to consider other people. I am glad you posted this response, because now at least I know that a simple solution exists. Princess just needs to post a few signs. But if they do, are you sure you won't find them offensive. After all, why should Princess expect you to consider another human being, especially a stranger.

Edited by Loreni

Loreni, I agree with you 100%. We witnessed this same behavior on our TA last year. Though in addition to the card playing, there were many people napping, preventing those of us who were juggling a sandwich and a coffee from the IC from finding a place to sit down and eat. I, like you, found this extremely frustrating and think an area that is defined more like Alfredos, with a hostess would be a grand idea. A venue that offers food and drink should have designated seating for the consumption of same. We mentioned this in our end of cruise comments, for whatever good it did.

A venue that offers food and drink should have designated seating for the consumption of same.

Yes! You have phased this perfectly. This should be self-evident, but I guess it is not.

I would think that if certain tables were only for those consuming food, there would be some sort of signage. Sounds like they should add some more tables if this a popular area for people to hang out.

Loreni, I agree with you 100%. We witnessed this same behavior on our TA last year. Though in addition to the card playing, there were many people napping, preventing those of us who were juggling a sandwich and a coffee from the IC from finding a place to sit down and eat. I, like you, found this extremely frustrating and think an area that is defined more like Alfredos, with a hostess would be a grand idea. A venue that offers food and drink should have designated seating for the consumption of same. We mentioned this in our end of cruise comments, for whatever good it did.

So now when grabbing a snack on the run, one must wait in line for a hostess and then again for a snack. No thank you! One does not see hostesses at Starbucks, coffee houses, bars. iC was not designed nor intended to be a sit down restaurant. That is not the concept, and a hostess would drive people away.

I would think that if certain tables were only for those consuming food, there would be some sort of signage. Sounds like they should add some more tables if this a popular area for people to hang out.

Well there is a (not so) subtle signage. It is the variation of decor, materials, and table and chair design. Also the menus on the tables are a little hint, perhaps. As far as explicit signage to the effect that one should not play cards when others with food and drink are looking for a table...well, maybe Princess thinks most of us know this already and those who don't won't comply anyway. Although I learned today that some people will actually comply with explicit instructions, but won't otherwise concern themselves with the gratification strangers.

What about Alfredo's then. Should people who wish to play cards occupy seats in Alfredo's if they can't find any at the IC. I would never dream of doing so, would you? And just because there is no rule against something, doesn't mean it is not rude and very selfish.

The more you comment the less I have respect for you. You are now starting to sound like a Whiner with a capital W. Look, everyone wants a place to sit. I agree people should not occupy a seat all day every day BUT they paid their cruise fare as well. I can't imagine going on a cruise and spending all my time inside playing cards but to each his own.

I, for one, have sat at the bar next to the IC for many hours. Yes, even while people were waiting for a seat. Did I move because they looked tired or in need of alcohol or specialty coffee drinks? No. Why should I? I was enjoying my drink.

Getting rid of the entertainment in the Atrium is just stupid. As others have said it is meant to bring people together and often you will see people stacked several decks up watching it. I know I have walked by and stopped for a moment or two. If you think the chair hoggers are selfish well then paint yourself selfish. Your desire to find a chair right there inches from the IC counter does not trump hundreds and hundreds that enjoy the atrium entertainment.

By the way, we have sat in various shared space areas (like the Wheelhouse Bar) and played games with family and friends. We don't have tables like that in our cabins so we must meet in public areas. We wouldn't have sat down if it was full with a show but that doesn't mean while we were there that an event couldn't start.

So now when grabbing a snack on the run, one must wait in line for a hostess and then again for a snack. No thank you! One does not see hostesses at Starbucks, coffee houses, bars. iC was not designed nor intended to be a sit down restaurant. That is not the concept, and a hostess would drive people away.

Maybe two lines. One for grab and go and one with a hostess? Anyway, I don't think Starbucks would allow people to play cards in their shops for hours at a time without eating or drinking anything except what they have brought into Starbucks in a thermos.

I believe it's in some cultures that sitting around all day drinking coffee, tea and playing cards is what they do. They don't realize or even care that you want to sit down and enjoy your "paid" for treats. It's not in their way of thinking to accommodate you. I read an article not too long ago where a certain group of people took up tables at McDonalds day after day and paying patrons had no where to sit. McDonald management finally told them that 1 hour was their time limit and after that they had to leave. It's doubtful Princess would do this. If I see an empty seat and want to sit down, that's exactly what I do. I see this sitting all day up in the HC. It's a great place to chair and table hog. There's food, drinks,and a bathroom close by. Most of these people get inside cabins and really have no need to go to their cabin. They're going to get their money's worth. I recall one instance where one of them went to the buffet and picked up the big bowl of fruit salad and took it back to their table and they all dug in! The chef came out and put a stop to that.:D

The more you comment the less I have respect for you. You are now starting to sound like a Whiner with a capital W. Look, everyone wants a place to sit. I agree people should not occupy a seat all day every day BUT they paid their cruise fare as well. I can't imagine going on a cruise and spending all my time inside playing cards but to each his own.

I, for one, have sat at the bar next to the IC for many hours. Yes, even while people were waiting for a seat. Did I move because they looked tired or in need of alcohol or specialty coffee drinks? No. Why should I? I was enjoying my drink.

Getting rid of the entertainment in the Atrium is just stupid. As others have said it is meant to bring people together and often you will see people stacked several decks up watching it. I know I have walked by and stopped for a moment or two. If you think the chair hoggers are selfish well then paint yourself selfish. Your desire to find a chair right there inches from the IC counter does not trump hundreds and hundreds that enjoy the atrium entertainment.

By the way, we have sat in various shared space areas (like the Wheelhouse Bar) and played games with family and friends. We don't have tables like that in our cabins so we must meet in public areas. We wouldn't have sat down if it was full with a show but that doesn't mean while we were there that an event couldn't start.

So you would not vacate the Wheelhouse after a show started because you are playing a game with your friends, even if others who want to watch the show can't find a seat? Can't even conceive of this decision making process. Couldn't you find a public space somewhere else where no show is starting?

Maybe two lines. One for grab and go and one with a hostess? Anyway, I don't think Starbucks would allow people to play cards in their shops for hours at a time without eating or drinking anything except what they have brought into Starbucks in a thermos.

Entirely different situation. People who go to Starbucks have not already paid to be there.

Loreni,

I have experienced the same. Also the Vines has same problem. I actually wrote to Princess headquarters that I thought they enjoy making money off of liquor, but I can't sit in the Vines and so I don't order wine. Nor do I attend other bars on the ship.

People sit and play cards or laptop computers. I have suggested that at the Vines they should put up signs that from 4 to 8 PM Vines is for drinking wine only. Possibly from 9 to 12, that the IC is for the purchase of drinks at the IC only.

Funny they don't mind offending us who can't use these placed appropriately but do mind offending people taking up space.