Rude people at International Cafe. Help us Princess!

Loreni

Reading this. I have never been on these ships but just curious where people would/should go to play cards or board games? I can understand not in restaurants proper especially during meal times.. I see where some here say not on the Lido, not in the atruims but is there somewhere for a group to meet and do this without taking place bar or cafe space?

I don't recall anywhere on any ship I've been on..... although I haven't played cards or a game. I have sat and read though. I would think unless someone had a suite of some type there would't be room in a cabin for 2 or 3 couples or a family to be able to sit and play cards/games.

Maybe this is what people have alluded to when they say the ships are putting in more cabins, bars etc which is leaving less public spaces?

Addendum: I do recall a friend mentioning there was a card room on one ship she was on but only if you were an adult that played Bridge..????

The beautiful and large Crown Grill was opened for cards and other games.

As for those who do not understand that Princess is selling coffee, tea, and drinks in the Piazza, what can I say. Do you really think Princess expects people who buy these things to have no place to sit? Actually, they probably expect most passengers to behave with consideration.

If I couldn't sit down with my food because some *******es were hogging the table for hours, i'd be tempted to set my stuff on the ground nearby and start photographing/filming them. When they asked what I was doing, I'd say "killing time while I'm waiting for a seat."

Okay, it'd probably cause more problems than it'd solve, but it's a snarky fantasy.:D

I honestly don't understand how people would know someone is spending hours in the Atrium unless they are spending all of their time there also. Just because people are playing cards doesn't necessarily mean they are camping out all day and quite frankly, who cares if they do?

It's not the same thing as taking up space in the Horizon Court during busy hours.

The I C tables are often unavailable particularly on at sea days and when most passengers are returning from a port visit. Rather than complain about it, we sit somewhere else like in Vines or if necessary on the low wall dividers in the Atrium.

Yep. I'll just take my food and find a seat elsewhere. More civil than my hypothetical "be a pain in the butt" suggestion mentioned earlier.

If I couldn't sit down with my food because some *******es were hogging the table for hours, i'd be tempted to set my stuff on the ground nearby and start photographing/filming them. When they asked what I was doing, I'd say "killing time while I'm waiting for a seat."

Okay, it'd probably cause more problems than it'd solve, but it's a snarky fantasy.:D

I am curious, How would you know someone was hogging a table for hours?

The beautiful and large Crown Grill was opened for cards and other games.

As for those who do not understand that Princess is selling coffee, tea, and drinks in the Piazza, what can I say. Do you really think Princess expects people who buy these things to have no place to sit? Actually, they probably expect most passengers to behave with consideration.

I already paid princess for use of that area when I paid my fair. It is not designated as a specialty restaurant, that I would need to pay a cover fee for.

Do you work for Princess ? You seem awfully wrapped up in what's best for the company!

Edited by Reader0108598

Loreni-

Couldn't agree with you more about the classless wonders who sit for hours on end playing cards in both the Horizon Court and the IC. So inconsiderate.

Name calling,now that is classy;)

What would you think if those classless people, could only sit and play cards?

What if they have ailments that do not allow for excursions,pool or such?

I do agree the horizon court is a restaurant ,but the atrium is public space.

Edited by Reader0108598

I agree with Loreni. I experienced something similar on Golden a couple of months ago, except the table-hogs weren't playing cards, they were usually reading or knitting, and usually solo. Not just at two-top tables, but at larger ones, and when asked if they minded if we shared the table they always said the other seats were "taken" but I rarely saw anyone join them.

In a 21 day cruise, with about 50% sea days, we managed to get a table near the International Cafe twice, and one of those times was for lunch on a port day. We usually had to drink our coffee standing.

There really does need to be a cafe-only section of seating, with patrons encouraged to move on once they have finished their beverages. If this happened at a land-based cafe they would soon go out of business but selfish cruisers expect that the whole ship is there just for them.

To my surprise we had much less trouble at Cafe Bacia on Celebrity Solstice. Apart from one or two, most people enjoyed their drinks then moved on.

Princess does need to address this problem in some way. Signage, waiters pointedly asking to take their orders at regular intervals, cafe/bar manager politely requesting them to move to somewhere else? Perhaps Princess needs more than one cafe so that the table hogs are spread out more?

It's not the same thing as taking up space in the Horizon Court during busy hours.

Yes, it is. It is exactly the same, except the busy hours at the IC are at different times to the HC.

I don't recall anywhere on any ship I've been on..... although I haven't played cards or a game. I have sat and read though. I would think unless someone had a suite of some type there would't be room in a cabin for 2 or 3 couples or a family to be able to sit and play cards/games.

Maybe this is what people have alluded to when they say the ships are putting in more cabins, bars etc which is leaving less public spaces?

Addendum: I do recall a friend mentioning there was a card room on one ship she was on but only if you were an adult that played Bridge..????

Card rooms used to be fairly standard. As your friend found out, they tended to be occupied by Bridge players for the entire voyage. Not really suitable for groups wishing less serious entertainment. Most of these rooms have been re-purposed. Often for something that is revenue generating.

I honestly don't understand how people would know someone is spending hours in the Atrium unless they are spending all of their time there also. Just because people are playing cards doesn't necessarily mean they are camping out all day and quite frankly, who cares if they do?

Like !:)

What about Alfredo's then. Should people who wish to play cards occupy seats in Alfredo's if they can't find any at the IC. I would never dream of doing so, would you? And just because there is no rule against something, doesn't mean it is not rude and very selfish.

Alfredo is a dining venue, where the seats are controlled by the staff during the hours it is open. The seats at the IC are open seating just like all of the other lounge/bar venues. They are first come, first serve for who ever happens to set there. Including the tables for two by the window.

Interesting how often ones definition of selfish is anything anyone else is doing that interferes with whatever they want to do. I have not seen people playing cards in IC very often, but I have seen people spend a long time there, usually with a cup of coffee or drink from the bar or two. Seems to be a popular place for people to meet, have a drink and visit. I may not like it if the tables there are taken, but I certainly would not call the people selfish for using the facilities and enjoying the cruise.

Funny that even though it is crowded I have usually been able to find a place to eat somewhere around the plaza area. Even if it means Vines, the tables of last resort, so to speak.

Edited by RDC1

Why would a Princess employee post this?

Not sure what that has to do with the question.

Hi Colo Cruiser

They keep mentioning how princess is trying to sell items, at the IC.

Why would the average cruiser care? We paid our fare,not our issue.

I am not worried, if princess is making more money, off of a cruiser or not.

Regards Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Maybe two lines. One for grab and go and one with a hostess? Anyway, I don't think Starbucks would allow people to play cards in their shops for hours at a time without eating or drinking anything except what they have brought into Starbucks in a thermos.

Actually they do, along with students studying with their computers for hours, business folks conducting meetings. Just about everything under the sun. Some buy some do not. Clearly they don't leave when their drink is empty.

There really does need to be a cafe-only section of seating, with patrons encouraged to move on once they have finished their beverages. If this happened at a land-based cafe they would soon go out of business but selfish cruisers expect that the whole ship is there just for them.

Princess does need to address this problem in some way. Signage, waiters pointedly asking to take their orders at regular intervals, cafe/bar manager politely requesting them to move to somewhere else? Perhaps Princess needs more than one cafe so that the table hogs are spread out more?

The ship is there for them and you too. Everyone paid their fare and everyone has access to all these venues on the ship. If someone is playing a particular slot machine for hours and let's say YOU want to play it too. No way is a Princess crew member going to tell someone who is sitting there losing to move on. They would tell you to find another machine just like they would tell you to find another place to sit. It matters not if you paid for coffee or a sweet treat, the ones sitting and playing cards are having a good time. Why spoil it for them just so you can sit where they are? We sit in Vines and have a glass of ice water. There's plenty of tables available there. I guess we're not sitters, we keep moving--we stay happy that way. BTW, Princess isn't going to add more cafes - maybe more bars but not cafes.

Edited by elliair

Alfredo is a dining venue, where the seats are controlled by the staff during the hours it is open. The seats at the IC are open seating just like all of the other lounge/bar venues. They are first come, first serve for who ever happens to set there. Including the tables for two by the window.

Interesting how often ones definition of selfish is anything anyone else is doing that interferes with whatever they want to do. I have not seen people playing cards in IC very often, but I have seen people spend a long time there, usually with a cup of coffee or drink from the bar or two. Seems to be a popular place for people to meet, have a drink and visit. I may not like it if the tables there are taken, but I certainly would not call the people selfish for using the facilities and enjoying the cruise.

Funny that even though it is crowded I have usually been able to find a place to eat somewhere around the plaza area. Even if it means Vines, the tables of last resort, so to speak.

Again another like!:D

The ship is there for them and you too. Everyone paid their fare and everyone has access to all these venues on the ship. If someone is playing a particular slot machine for hours and let's say YOU want to play it too. No way is a Princess crew member going to tell someone who is sitting there losing to move on. They would tell you to find another machine just like they would tell you to find another place to sit. It matters not if you paid for coffee or a sweet treat, the ones sitting and playing cards are having a good time. Why spoil it for them just so you can sit where they are? We sit in Vines and have a glass of ice water. There's plenty of tables available there. I guess we're not sitters, we keep moving--we stay happy that way. BTW, Princess isn't going to add more cafes - maybe more bars but not cafes.

elliair that was a great example, and attitude :)

Edited by Reader0108598

As you say the Horizon is mainly there for eating where the Piazza is there for drinks, eating & entertainment combined.

If a table in that area is that important she should have arrived earlier in the day & camped out as the others have done. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by RDC1 viewpost.gif

What I do see at the IC at the tables are people who are immobile. They usually have a walker or a wheelchair/scooter. They are sitting and enjoying what's going on around them. They paid their fare like the rest of us.

Your comment is spot on.

Edited by elliair

Sorry Loreni

Not understanding, why you feel you have more of a right to sit at a table than others do :confused:

I can answer that. She started another thread thanking Princess for showing her that she can downgrade from mini suites to inside cabins and like it. She states that now that she doesn't have a balcony she finds a public place on the ship to enjoy looking out the windows. So, she is pissed that now that she doesn't have a balcony she deserves to find a great place around the ship to enjoy her cruise since she isn't enjoying staying in her inside cabin.

When we get a buzzer (beeper) device from the Anytime room there on Deck 5, they tell us to please wait in the Atrium.

Is everyone, including people who can't stand a long time have to stand, so once in a while people (at their whim) can find a table when they get food from the IC?

And what about people who read in Crooners, the Wheelhouse and the Explorers lounge during the day? Are they supposed to leave because someone wants to order the drink?

Will Princess expanding the Card Room and Library so the OP isn't inconvenienced by fellow passengers?