Rude people at International Cafe. Help us Princess!

Loreni

I like to have tea or coffee at the IC and I am more than willing to try the for-a-fee Norman Love treats. But I need a place to sit. On my last cruise many people camped out for hours between breakfast and lunch at the IC (I mean specifically at the IC tables) even when many people were milling around with their coffees and food looking for a place to sit.

And what were these "campers" doing? Playing cards. For hours. Continued this obnoxious behavior for 28 days. Did they even order one cup of coffee? No. Maybe they think they are sticking it to Princess by having access to the entertainment in the piazza without paying a dime. Some had even brought thermoses with them. They are also hurting their fellow cruisers. Princess had opened up the beautiful Crown Grill as a game room. Why didn't they go there? No free entertainment, I guess.

I am willing to pay for quality coffee and tea and treats, but I won't eat them standing. So I sat right next to one of the campers who was on the padded bench across from her husband seated in a chair. I came very close to simply putting my coffee and plate on the edge of their "card table," but didn't want to start the first day of a long cruise this way. Princess needs a hostess to seat people here, I think. Or get rid of the entertainment. It is obviously intended to reward patrons of the IC, but this is not what is happening. Instead, due to rude selfish people, it is driving people who are willing to pay away from the venue.

Edited by Loreni

I like to have tea or coffee at the IC and I am more than willing to try the for-a-fee Norman Love treats. But I need a place to sit. On my last cruise many people camped out for hours between breakfast and lunch at the IC (at I mean specifically at the IC tables) even when many people were milling around with their coffees and food looking for a place to sit.

And what were these "campers" doing? Playing cards. For hours. Continued this obnoxious behavior for 28 days. Did they even order one cup of coffee? No. Maybe they think they are sticking it to Princess by having access to the entertainment in the piazza without paying a dime. Some had even brought thermoses with them. They are also hurting their fellow cruisers. Princess had opened up the beautiful Crown Grill as a game room. Why didn't they go there? No free entertainment, I guess.

I am willing to pay for quality coffee and tea and treats, but I won't eat them standing. So I sat right next to one of the campers who was on the padded bench across from her husband seated in a chair. I came very close to simply putting my coffee and plate on the edge of their "card table," but didn't want to start the first day of a long cruise this way. Princess needs a hostess to seat people here, I think. Or get rid of the entertainment. It is obviously intended to reward patrons of the IC, but this is not what is happening. Instead, due to rude selfish people, it is driving people who are willing to pay say from the venue.

This happens in the HC as well. Especially on the Coral/Island in Alaska because the HC is forward. :rolleyes:

I understand your frustration, but there's not a time limit for people to sit at the tables in the atrium. They're not specifically International Café tables but rather open to all. We've taken our food to other places when there hasn't been a space to eat on the lower level of the atrium. And at least table hogs, from what I've seen, are actually using the tables. They don't just place objects at them for hours at a time to reserve them.

Edited by geoherb

I understand your frustration, but there's not a time limit for people to sit at the tables in the atrium. They're not specifically International Café tables but rather open to all. We've taken our food to other places when there hasn't been a space to eat on the lower level of the atrium. And at least table hogs, from what I've seen, are actually using the tables. They don't just place objects at them for hours at a time to reserve them.

I don't mean tables in the atrium. I mean the tables that are specifically for the IC. They could post a hostess here, like they do for Alfredo's. I know Princess can't enforce civil behavior. That is why I advocate ending the entertainment here. This would decrease the motive the campers appear to have and permit those who want to spend money to use the venue.

Then Princess won't have to raise cruise prices as much and everyone wins except a few very rude people, but they can still enjoy the Crown Grill. Princess opened the Crown Grill as a card room. Had Princess placed a few urns of syrup coffee there and a tray of cookies maybe that would been enough to lure these selfish campers.

Edited by Loreni

For the most part this is true. I have seen however the occasional reserving of a table in the HC. Saw it a couple of times in the IC during two T/A's on the Ruby (2009/2011)

Not that I care about the tables, but there always seems to be the same ones roosting in the same spots for the entire day.

On our 21 day B2B on the CB it became our running joke to take a walk through in the AM, take note who was where and then check 2 times later in the day. Yes, more often than not the same ones were roosting. I honestly thought a few of them were going to get pressure sores!

For all the "lounge hog" threads, the table campers are far more noticeable IMO.

Hi All

On sea days on my Emerald cruise lots of extra tables were set up around the atrium are other ships doing the same ?.

However did notice that the tables for 4 were often camped out all day by folks

playing cards.

yours Shogun

On the Diamond Princess on every sea day in the Atrium there was an Art Auction from 2-4pm. There is no IC on that ship but still it would be very nice to sit there relaxing with your coffee or tea if not for those loud art auctions :mad:

It may be annoying, but seats are free for all.

It doesn't have anything to do with seats being free. It would never occur to me to occupy a free seat at a cafe in order to play cards all day. And even perhaps bring a thermos with.

I certainly wouldn't dream of doing so when other people are looking for a place to sit with their food and drinks.

The mentality of the people who think nothing of doing this is simply stunning. Could not imagine sharing a table with such people at dinner or tea.

Edited by Loreni

The mentality of the people who think nothing of doing this is simply stunning. Could not imagine sharing a table with such people at dinner or tea.

You probably wouldn't need to since they seem to be camped at the IC 24/7. :D If the ship has a Vines, you can always take your IC food over there to sit (but those tables are often full, too.)

I didn't realize the Piazza entertainment was exclusive, or even intended, for people eating pastries and drinking coffee. What?

Are you going to tell me that it never occurred to you that tables with coffee menus on them might be intended for use by those ordering coffee? Wow.

Don't you think the entertainment is intended as an enticement for people to congregate in the Piazza where they can spend money on drinks, coffee, tea, and wine?

I for one would like to see the entertainment ended. Then those "campers" who show up with their thermoses and cards will be happy enough in other venues ( they won't feel they are missing any entertainment). And those who wish to enjoy the cafe will have a place to sit. Sadly, we cannot depend on people to voluntarily display common courtesy.

It may be annoying, but seats are free for all. Same can be said for chair hoggers at the pool.

There is a trivial difference between the 2 groups. The table hoggers are at least at the tables and using them - inappropriately perhaps but using them. The chair hoggers are not even there and they expect that their towels will hold their places.

DON

You forgot there is typically a bar there too on most ships. Atrium is used by those having a mid afternoon drink(s) as well. The tables even have bar staff waiting. Should we kick out the IC patrons as they are not ordering drinks? This is shared space, and to suggest they get rid of one of Princess best features, Atrium entertainment, so you have a place to put your muffin is not reasonable.

Are you going to tell me that it never occurred to you that tables with coffee menus on them might be intended for use by those ordering coffee? Wow.

Don't you think the entertainment is intended as an enticement for people to congregate in the Piazza where they can spend money on drinks, coffee, tea, and wine?

I for one would like to see the entertainment ended. Then those "campers" who show up with their thermoses and cards will be happy enough in other venues ( they won't feel they are missing any entertainment). And those who wish to enjoy the cafe will have a place to sit. Sadly, we cannot depend on people to voluntarily display common courtesy.

You are asking for Princess to eliminate one of their signature venues. They consider the atrium their downtown and present events there all day to entice people to visit and to enjoy. I doubt they would even consider closing it as an entertainment venue as on the Royal class ships they have made it even busier. As to the tables, there are many places to sit not just the three or four that are in front of the IC. I suggest you may have to expand your seating horizon with other parts of the atrium which are open to all.

• Like 1

I don't mean tables in the atrium. I mean the tables that are specifically for the IC. They could post a hostess here, like they do for Alfredo's. I know Princess can't enforce civil behavior. That is why I advocate ending the entertainment here. This would decrease the motive the campers appear to have and permit those who want to spend money to use the venue.

Then Princess won't have to raise cruise prices as much and everyone wins except a few very rude people, but they can still enjoy the Crown Grill. Princess opened the Crown Grill as a card room. Had Princess placed a few urns of syrup coffee there and a tray of cookies maybe that would been enough to lure these selfish campers.

Actually the waiters/waitresses for the IC and the associated bar serve the entire plaza area, not just the seats in the bar area and next to the IC itself.

To apply your logic no one should be seating in any of the venues, except when they are actually consuming something obtained in that venue. While seating is in somewhat short supply in the plaza area they are multi use and first come first serve, as are the seats in the other lounges and entertainment venues. As long as the people are sitting there and using them there is no rule against it. Saving them, while not sitting there using them is a different story.

Edited by RDC1

You forgot there is typically a bar there too on most ships. Atrium is used by those having a mid afternoon drink(s) as well. The tables even have bar staff waiting. Should we kick out the IC patrons as they are not ordering drinks? This is shared space, and to suggest they get rid of one of Princess best features, Atrium entertainment, so you have a place to put your muffin is not reasonable.

I don't eat muffins. Princess is a business and they are trying to make money. That is why they sell things in the Piazza. As you said drinks, also tea and coffee. If people camp out in the Piazza all day playing cards, doing sudoku, reading Kindles, etc while enjoying beverages from their personal thermoses, they are not spending money. Even worse, they are displacing those who want to spend money. This makes everyone's cruise price go up. And it is not like they just show up when the entertainment is scheduled and then leave. No. They stay all day. I'm sure Princess is not too crazy about this behavior.

A hostess to seat people in the cafe might make it more obvious to the clueless that the cafe is not a card room. Give the people who want to spend some money a reasonable chance to do so and everyone will benefit from better pricing.

By the way, I am not suggesting that a drink of any kind should be the price of admission for any of the ship's entertainment. I am specifically referring to people who camp in the IC. I mean directly in the IC at the cafe tables, not in the larger atrium chairs. But honestly, those seats are also intended for use by those ordering something and not for those playing cards or using adult coloring books. Some people do not want to spend extra money, but why deliberately undermine someone else's desire to do so as well as Princess' desire to operate as a business.

Edited by Loreni

Or get rid of the entertainment. It is obviously intended to reward patrons of the IC, but this is not what is happening. Instead, due to rude selfish people, it is driving people who are willing to pay away from the venue.

I agree that people shouldn't camp out at the tables right by the IC for extended periods of time, unless they are enjoying treats from the IC. However, I disagree that the entertainment in the atrium is intended only for patrons of the IC. The entertainment is for everyone who wants to enjoy it. It is intended to draw people together in the center of the ship, whether or not they want coffee and snacks.

aren't the majority of the offerings at the IC free? I hope that hasn't changed. Not a coffee drinker myself, but I was looking forward to all the delicious salads, sandwiches and pastries that had been free. And yes I enjoyed the free entertainment there too.

I hope there will be spot to sit too, but I don't plan on paying anything either. I hope princess really hasn't moved to doing this all to reward only those willing to pay extra for things.

Actually the waiters/waitresses for the IC and the associated bar serve the entire plaza area, not just the seats in the bar area and next to the IC itself.

To apply your logic no one should be seating in any of the venues, except when they are actually consuming something obtained in that venue. While seating is in somewhat short supply in the plaza area they are multi use and first come first serve, as are the seats in the other lounges and entertainment venues. As long as the people are sitting there and using them there is no rule against it. Saving them, while not sitting there using them is a different story.

What about Alfredo's then. Should people who wish to play cards occupy seats in Alfredo's if they can't find any at the IC. I would never dream of doing so, would you? And just because there is no rule against something, doesn't mean it is not rude and very selfish.