Grand Princess delayed flight

fonekween

Hi everyone! While I've only cruised NCL & RCCL, my brother & sister in law have always cruised Princess. They are leaving in two weeks from San Francisco on the Grand to Alaska & are celebrating their 50th anniversary while on board. I couldn't believe it when it came out last night that they're flying into SF the same day as the cruise. Apparently they arrive at noon & the ship sails at 4. I told my brother he was crazy to not be flying in the day before, & he insisted that because he'd booked his flights through Princess that they would hold the ship if their flight were to be delayed. He said he's never flown in the day before, has never had a problem, has always sailed Princess, & said I was crazy if I thought they wouldn't hold the ship because Princess booked their flights. If the flight's delayed, Princess knows, no big deal because they've obviously booked flights for others as well & yes, absolutely they'll not sail until we're all on board. Ummmm......really?! No way......don't they have to be on board by a certain time due to the manifest requirements like NCL & RCCL? When I reminded him they'd have to be on board in time for Muster, he insisted that wasn't the case "not with Princess!". SO. Please enlighten me....is he right, all of this is true & Princess will hold the ship if they're flight is delayed? Although this clearly doesn't involve me since I'm not the one sailing (my trip to Alaska is on the Horizon & probably on Princess), I'm somewhat curious as to whether all of this is true. Your thoughts?

Hi everyone! While I've only cruised NCL & RCCL, my brother & sister in law have always cruised Princess. They are leaving in two weeks from San Francisco on the Grand to Alaska & are celebrating their 50th anniversary while on board. I couldn't believe it when it came out last night that they're flying into SF the same day as the cruise. Apparently they arrive at noon & the ship sails at 4. I told my brother he was crazy to not be flying in the day before, & he insisted that because he'd booked his flights through Princess that they would hold the ship if their flight were to be delayed. He said he's never flown in the day before, has never had a problem, has always sailed Princess, & said I was crazy if I thought they wouldn't hold the ship because Princess booked their flights. If the flight's delayed, Princess knows, no big deal because they've obviously booked flights for others as well & yes, absolutely they'll not sail until we're all on board. Ummmm......really?! No way......don't they have to be on board by a certain time due to the manifest requirements like NCL & RCCL? When I reminded him they'd have to be on board in time for Muster, he insisted that wasn't the case "not with Princess!". SO. Please enlighten me....is he right, all of this is true & Princess will hold the ship if they're flight is delayed? Although this clearly doesn't involve me since I'm not the one sailing (my trip to Alaska is on the Horizon & probably on Princess), I'm somewhat curious as to whether all of this is true. Your thoughts?

They will not hold the ship unless its a ton of people on a Princess booked flight and only for 30-60 minutes or so and if the Captain can still make the schedule.

Most likely the ship will leave and Princess will make arrangements to meet the ship at the next port.

Yes and no. If he booked through EZAir they will hold the ship or get him to the next port to meet the ship. I was on a Princess cruise where a flight was late. We were scheduled to set sail at 4pm. We didn't leave port until after 7. I book EZAir and I still fly in the day before. I don't want to start my vacation with a disaster even though I know it will be taken care of.

San Francisco is well-known for its fog, especially in the month of July. Many flight delays could happen.

Yes, Princess could fly the passenger to the next port but that would be two days AFTER the Grand sets sail as it is two days at sea before arriving at the next port. That would be a shame to shorten the cruise that many days.

I wish the best for your family and that their flight in will be uneventful.

Yes, if flight is delayed too long to hold the ship, it will depart without the delayed cruisers. Even if booked through Princess. Common sense says Princess wouldn't inconvenience a couple thousand cruisers for the benefit of a handful. Or miss the ships scheduled docking in Juneau for a few late arrivals.

We've had flights delayed for hours (including one for 36 hours!) so it can happen. Especially now with possible security issues at airports.

As stated, Princess will make arrangements to get late passengers to first port to meet the ship. UNFORTUNATELY, there are 2 at sea cruise days on his cruise that your brother would miss. Instead, they would probably be put up in Juneau until his ship docks. Or maybe stay in SF for couple days before flying to Juneau.

Of course, maybe these options would be OK with your brother. Not us, though since we cruise for the relaxing cruise experience, not for hassles.

Whatever he does, I wish him a smooth trip.

Two sides to this: IF they book everything (flight, transfer from airport to ship, cruise) with Princess, they'll take care of them, by either holding the ship if appropriate or by providing reasonable accommodations to get them to the next port. I'd make sure that the Cruise Personalizer shows the transfer booked with Princess...otherwise they risk breaking "the chain of custody" where Princess has responsibility for them, and Princess could easily shrug their shoulders and say "too bad, so sad".

That said, if I was booking a 10-day Alaska RT, I would be looking forward to the time at sea so much that flying in the day of the cruise is out of the question for me.

Our first cruise was a Vancouver->Whittier Alaska cruise, and we booked a Princess transfer from SEA to the ship in Vancouver (five hour bus ride). Because we made it to the transfer desk in time (9:30am for an 11:15 cutoff at SEA; 4:30 scheduled sailaway), we just smiled and enjoyed the ride, knowing Princess would take care of us. Even with a 4:25 arrival at the terminal (US Labor Day meant heavy traffic at the border), we were able to fly through the terminal at every station, and muster was delayed just enough that we could go directly to it.

Actually they could have a bigger problem. While in theory EZAir would get him to the next port, in this case the next port is a different US port. This would result in him getting on in one US port and off in a different port, a violation of the PVSA. Not sure if Princess/EZAir is willing to pay the fine for doing this.

Ultimately, It's up to the captain and the number of passengers involved. Let's say his flight is delayed and he can't make 4PM departure and due to port scheduling the captain may decided to leave anyway. However, EZair and Princess will assist him getting on down to the first port of call. **This is main benefit with booking EZ air** But if he's with a whole group of delayed passengers then the Captain may hold up the ship for a certain amount of time if it won't affect the arrival time at the first port of all. If you booked your air independently then it's your responsibility to fly on down the the first port of call and catch up with the ship. But NO the captain is not required to hold up the ship's departure due to any delayed flight whether booked via Princess or booked independently.

San Francisco is well-known for its fog, especially in the month of July. Many flight delays could happen.

Yes, Princess could fly the passenger to the next port but that would be two days AFTER the Grand sets sail as it is two days at sea before arriving at the next port. That would be a shame to shorten the cruise that many days.

I wish the best for your family and that their flight in will be uneventful.

Exactly what I was going to say. I have rarely gotten into San Francisco on a morning flight on time. We live just across the bay and the fog comes in from San Francisco in the summer months and planes oftentimes have to wait for it to burn off before landing. We're just across the bay and watch it roll in at night ... then in the morning, it is sometimes so thick, we cannot see to the end of our backyard.

That is just really chancing it and NO, they will not necessarily hold the ship for a couple of passengers whose flight is delayed if by a few hours. They may wait for a specified period of time if you contact them ahead of time but it will not be indefinitely. The port crew has to be paid handsomely for the extra time the ship remains in port....I don't think they would ever pay thousands more for someone missing the boarding time. We just flew from Vegas to SFO and my DH swears it off now ... he is just done with SFO. We could have driven home in less time than our delay at the LV airport ... they blamed the weather at SFO for the delay.

And....they won't helicopter you out to the ship while at sea... I think they will get you to the next port but like iceleven states ... it will be at least 2 days later.

Just don't do it ... it is too risky and not even reasonable to be scheduled to fly into SFO at noon when the ship sails at 4 PM. That just does not allow time for flight delays and possible traffic. Remember ... the pier is right in the downtown area. It took us 2.5 hours once from our house to the pier ... and it normally takes only 40 minutes door to door.

They could make it but they could also start their vacation off the wrong way. Now, if he has insurance and wants to be stranded over in the City for a couple of days ... maybe his wish will come true. It is expensive to stay in SF ... I am sure the insurance will cover a hotel out by the airport, though....which is, incidentally, not in San Francisco proper. :confused:

Thanks to all of you, you've confirmed exactly what I thought. There's NO way I'd EVER fly in the day of the cruise & I think my brother's crazy for having always done it & now doing it again. Yes, he booked everything through Princess, including insurance, which is why he's convinced the ship will wait IF their flight is delayed into SF. This is also the first time he's ever bought insurance due to his 94 yr old father in law & our 96 yr old aunt...both in failing health....so that surprised me & was glad he did that. I just couldn't believe what he was telling me about the ship being held, but then again, I've never cruised with Princess so I told myself maaaaaaaaaybe they have different rules than NCL & RCCL so maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe he knows what he's talking about since he's done it before & I know nothing about Princess. BUT. He's not flown into SF in July, & yes, I'm familiar with the fog which is EXACTLY why I'm concerned. Not my problem but I'd also hate to see them be inconvenienced & miss their two days at sea! Of course, being his baby sister by 8 years, I could also laugh with glee with an "I told you so!". LOL:D:rolleyes: Stay tuned, I'll let you know in two weeks what happens!

Actually they could have a bigger problem. While in theory EZAir would get him to the next port, in this case the next port is a different US port. This would result in him getting on in one US port and off in a different port, a violation of the PVSA. Not sure if Princess/EZAir is willing to pay the fine for doing this.

Wow.... what an excellent point. Of all the July cruises out of San Francisco during July, Ketchikan is the first port ... the only port that is in Canada is the very last one. I really wonder what they would do in this case. Maybe the passenger would have to pay. :confused:

I don't see where this would apply. San Francisco is the starting port, and if the next port is also a US port, then it would just be an alternate starting port for them - with AIR travel in between. The PVSA would apply if they used another cruise ship to get to the 2nd US port, but not air travel.

To the original question:

If Princess is aware that passengers on the delayed booked-by-EZ Air flight are still making their way towards the ship, their names will remain on the manifest. If they miss the muster drill, a make-up drill will be held as the ship sails away. All cruise lines will wait for as long a time that is reasonable for passengers arrived on travel booked through the cruise line, or even on self-booked flights as long as they are within the stated guidelines AND the flight information was entered into the cruise personalizer (and the personalizer was filled out completely). The myth of there being an absolute deadline--90 minutes, 60 minutes, whatever--for check in at the pier and/or the submission of the manifest is exactly that: the stuff of urban legend (or should that be oceanic legend in this case).

Now as for the mind-boggling logic applied below:

I don't see where this would apply. San Francisco is the starting port, and if the next port is also a US port, then it would just be an alternate starting port for them - with AIR travel in between. The PVSA would apply if they used another cruise ship to get to the 2nd US port, but not air travel.

If a passenger does not board at the initial embarkation port, his sea voyage is deemed to begin at whatever port he boards at. It doesn't remotely matter that his original booking was ticketed round-trip San Francisco, if he misses the ship and flies to Ketchikan his transport via ship is Ketchikan to San Francisco, which without a DISTANT foreign port is a PVSA violation. However Princess will likely obtain a waiver for the fine as the deviation in those passenger's itinerary is considered a consequence of events beyond both the passengers and Princess' control (similar to a passenger leaving a round-trip cruise early due to medical or other emergency of theirs).

Edited by fishywood

I'm just posting here so I get notified when there is another post. I want to see how this comes out in two weeks. :D

:) Do you know about the Subscribe to this Thread option on the Thread Tools menu at the top of the post list?

As to Princess holding the ship, you've learned that it is a "yes and no" situation. They (and most other lines) will hold the ship briefly, particularly if the the flight has already landed and the passengers are on their way to the terminal via transportation provided by the cruise line. If you have booked your own transportation, you need to be on board before the last passenger arriving via cruise line transportation!

As to the muster drill--again, in some situations you don't have to be on board before the drill. You'll be allowed to attend the make up drill. But you still have to be on board before the captain decides that it is time to go! If the cruise line overstays their allotted time in port, there is an extra charge. Again, there is a bit of a grace period...and probably some extra if the delay is weather related at the port.

There is NO promise that Princess will hold the ship for a late arrival. The promise is that they will either hold the ship OR make arrangements to get you to the next possible port at no additional expense.

I would rarely come in the day of a cruise. I have done it and generally find the experience to be too rushed. On the other hand, I did it for our most recent cruise....but it was a direct flight arriving at 8:30 am and there were 2 additional flights that would get me to the airport in plenty of time to make it to the ship...and a third flight that would have been a "close call." My logic was that if there was a flight delay or weather issue, I had three more shots at being at the cruise terminal on time.

This is not correct. No foreign flagged ship (all of Princess' ships are foreign flagged) may transport a passenger between two different US cities without a stop in a distant foreign port. There are no distant foreign ports in North or Central America. If Princess flew the passengers to the next port and allowed the passengers to board the ship, Princess would be in violation of the PVSA. Since Princess knows this, Princess could face additional consequences for intentionally violating the PVSA.

This is not correct. No foreign flagged ship (all of Princess' ships are foreign flagged) may transport a passenger between two different US cities without a stop in a distant foreign port. There are no distant foreign ports in North or Central America. If Princess flew the passengers to the next port and allowed the passengers to board the ship, Princess would be in violation of the PVSA. Since Princess knows this, Princess could face additional consequences for intentionally violating the PVSA.

Hmmmm, lets see. This itinerary is from SFO-Juneau-Skag-Ketch-....then Victoria-SFO. The Jones act would still be fulfilled by the passenger hitting a non US port prior to arrival in SFO. You could essentially get in Victoria and sail to SFO with no violation. Clear as mud.

Hmmmm, lets see. This itinerary is from SFO-Juneau-Skag-Ketch-....then Victoria-SFO. The Jones act would still be fulfilled by the passenger hitting a non US port prior to arrival in SFO. You could essentially get in Victoria and sail to SFO with no violation. Clear as mud.

No, that is not correct. A ship may not transport a passenger between two different US cities without a stop in a DISTANT FOREIGN PORT. There are no DISTANT FOREIGN PORTS in North or Central America.

Clarifying.

Round trip cruises can have a near foreign port, hence porting Ensenada and Victoria on the West Coast. Those beginning and ending at different US ports red to go to a distant foreign port. This is why you can't do a one way LA-Vancouver b2b Vancouver-Seattle. Think the closest West Coast distant foreign is in Central America. Someone will let us know which port really soon.

At times the PVSA penalty has been waived. Know it was waived a few years ago for pax in Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN