No medical waivers honored! Past final payment

EOSapril11

Sorry to hear that, thats just plain bull****. People are allowed to bring on walkers, scooters and service animals. But your not allowed to bring on the drinks your husband needs because of a medical issue?.........***:mad:

I have seen several appalling excuses for therapy dogs on our recent cruises. There was a great thread on RCL or CCL about it. I get very worked up about this issue..

Thats really not the point. Its not like the OP wants to bring on bottles of liquor. This person has a medical condition because of colon cancer, believe me I know all too well about what these people are going thru. Its a crock of you know what

I understand completely. And I agree. It was not necessarily a point just about the OP's problem.

Edited by Annmeat

Contact the special access desk yourself. I have sailed with a disabled family member last year and had needed some special accommodations. They emailed me a 2-3 page form to fill out. It asks about all types of things, one being special dietary needs. When it is filled out, you are able to fax it back. you may need to supply info from your doctor, not sure. They were very accommodating last year, so IMHO I feel it is worth a shot for you to try. Good luck! Either way, I hope you all have a great time on your cruise!

I do kind of agree with you. But this policy came out 4 weeks before my sail date. They didn't even ask me questions about what was needed or if they had it on board. They do not grant medical waivers--period.

I tried reading through the other thread to see if anyone else had the same response or any issues but I can't read through 1000+ posts!

i agree with you as well. I think NCL is taking an unnecessarily harsh stance, including retroactive application to people who are past final payment, but I get why they are being harsh.

That said, I do hope they are able to accommodate you. I would argue to the Access Desk that your husband's condition should be equivalent to CPAP people.

When you live with a disability, you shouldn't have to stop living life & doing things, but you do have to plan & assess the situation. When booking, I made sure we could bring things we needed. There are other things we have to make sure are done, like when we go on excursions so planning is essential. I have to make sure certain facilities are available. I make sure AHEAD of time, ask questions before I book & pay. This was a change that would have changed the outcome. If all cruises stop allowing liquids, then we will have to reconsider cruising.

I will keep you posted. I am going to try to call the Access desk myself. Thank you all for your support.

I understand your frustration but can he not drink ship water from the buffet, using a glass to refill an empty water bottle you bring aboard? That is what we have always done.

You may want to take this to FB, Twitter and any or all the others I just don't know about.

Sometimes the social media backlash can help. Now we do know the new CEO has come out and said he doesn't really care what customers say on these sites, as there are always other customers.

Also, I'm no lawyer or anything, but aren't their laws related to people with disabilities and accommodations. I don't know, you entered into the contract with NCL in good faith. They changed the contract. I know everyone will say they have the right to change and we the consumers have no rights, but I'm just wondering.

Sorry you are going through this

I agree with you. The ADA laws are kind of broad, but this might fit. The OP might consider contacting a local consumer reporter, around here its "7 On Your Side" that might advocate for them, and if really lucky it might get picked up by a national news outlet (NBC, ABC, CBS or FOX). All businesses hate negative publicly

On the river cruise forum there was a story about a man who's wife had died after final payment, but before they sailed on their cruise. The man was going to go ahead with the trip, but there was some sticking point, and the cruise line refused to budge until a member of the media contacted them. Suddenly he had an apology, a refund for the wife's cruise fare & airfare, etc.

The OP is kind of stuck because its after final payment, but those of us that haven't made final payment yet do have a choice, and I am about to make mine.

Edited by Rosethorn40

I do kind of agree with you. But this policy came out 4 weeks before my sail date. They didn't even ask me questions about what was needed or if they had it on board. They do not grant medical waivers--period.

I tried reading through the other thread to see if anyone else had the same response or any issues but I can't read through 1000+ posts!

We are having the same problem. My son has a heart condition and needs to stay very hydrated during hot weather. I planned to bring bottled water for him. That way I can just hand him a bottle as he heads out of the room for an activity, and put another one in my bag for a back-up.

Yes, I could buy liter bottles for $60, but he just won't lug that size bottle around and that price is crazy for water. It's a PIA to have to go to the buffet multiple times per day to refill water bottles one tiny cup at a time. Plus people drink from a glass or bottle and then place that dirty item back under the water dispenser to refill it. Yuck! My son doesn't need those extra germs.

Both my TA and I called the main NCL number and special access and we were both told "no" not even with a doctor's note of medical necessity. What they offered for our trouble was an upgrade from a GTY balcony to a GTY mini-suite. That's a nice offer, but doesn't solve my problem.

My main issue is that this new policy came out one month before our sail date. If we had known prior to final payment I may have cancelled and changed lines.

You may want to take this to FB, Twitter and any or all the others I just don't know about.

Sometimes the social media backlash can help. Now we do know the new CEO has come out and said he doesn't really care what customers say on these sites, as there are always other customers.

Also, I'm no lawyer or anything, but aren't their laws related to people with disabilities and accommodations. I don't know, you entered into the contract with NCL in good faith. They changed the contract. I know everyone will say they have the right to change and we the consumers have no rights, but I'm just wondering.

Sorry you are going through this

EOSapril11 , this is great advice . Yours is the perfect case that would embarrass NCL

(if they can be embarrassed ). Also love Rosethorn40 points .

EOSapril11 , this is great advice . Yours is the perfect case that would embarrass NCL

(if they can be embarrassed ). Also love Rosethorn40 points .

How can you possibly know this? I don't care what this other drink is, but so far she has only said water which is available. If he could only drink meal replacement shakes or something and they denied that would be a VERY different situation.

How can you possibly know this? I don't care what this other drink is, but so far she has only said water which is available. If he could only drink meal replacement shakes or something and they denied that would be a VERY different situation.

The OP has said that they did not ask and did not care what the drink was. The answer was "no medical waivers for liquids," period, end of story. So it is not a different situation, it is the same one.

It is just so asinine that NCL is forcing guests to pay huge upcharges for their preferred water. Can you even imagine a land hotel searching your bag and confiscating your water???

The fact that they are now forcing people who need bottled water to pay exorbitant prices for it or go without says to me that they are anything but the high class exclusive cruise line they aspire to be. A company with any kind of class would not be nickel and diming customers over water.

Edited by Maryscooking
typo

We are having the same problem. My son has a heart condition and needs to stay very hydrated during hot weather. I planned to bring bottled water for him. That way I can just hand him a bottle as he heads out of the room for an activity, and put another one in my bag for a back-up.

Yes, I could buy liter bottles for $60, but he just won't lug that size bottle around and that price is crazy for water. It's a PIA to have to go to the buffet multiple times per day to refill water bottles one tiny cup at a time. Plus people drink from a glass or bottle and then place that dirty item back under the water dispenser to refill it. Yuck! My son doesn't need those extra germs.

Both my TA and I called the main NCL number and special access and we were both told "no" not even with a doctor's note of medical necessity. What they offered for our trouble was an upgrade from a GTY balcony to a GTY mini-suite. That's a nice offer, but doesn't solve my problem.

My main issue is that this new policy came out one month before our sail date. If we had known prior to final payment I may have cancelled and changed lines.

See, I think your situation appears to be different than OP's. She didn't really say, but OP's husband appears to be one that cannot drink the ship water because of swollen ankles or whatnot. From what you say, your son can drink regular water. You just don't want him to. My wife is prone to kidney stones and because of that, she has to drink two gallons of water a day. She brings refillable bottles, and yes, I go to the buffet at times when it isn't busy and am using NCL glasses to fill her water bottles.

As far as the spout being dirty? The entire ship is filled with germs, if you're that concerned then you should be wearing gloves to touch everything. And you shouldn't eat from the buffet because someone's pee hands probably just touched the serving spoon before you.

It would require extra work on your part, but there is a perfectly free option for you to keep your son hydrated.

How could I know what ? That " Yours is the perfect case that would embarrass NCl " ?

Because " My husband is a colon cancer survivor, early 40s and without going into detail has no large intestine."

Having worked around media , they appreciate a good story and the chance to rail against a corporate ogre .

I hope I answered your question .

My TA did speak with the Access desk. I explained the situation to her, but I don't know how much detail she gave to them. I think I'm going to try to call myself. I don't even feel like there was a "review" of the situation--just a blanket "we don't grant medical waivers" without really thinking about the situation. My TA had me on hold only for a few minutes before she came back with the answer.

Again, we are past final payment so we are without recourse. That's what really angers me.

When you live with a disability, you shouldn't have to stop living life & doing things, but you do have to plan & assess the situation. When booking, I made sure we could bring things we needed. There are other things we have to make sure are done, like when we go on excursions so planning is essential. I have to make sure certain facilities are available. I make sure AHEAD of time, ask questions before I book & pay. This was a change that would have changed the outcome. If all cruises stop allowing liquids, then we will have to reconsider cruising.

I will keep you posted. I am going to try to call the Access desk myself. Thank you all for your support.

I would suggest contacting the NCL Executive Team at 305-436-4000. This number is the main NCL corporate phone number. When they answer, ask for the Executive Team. I've had issues in the past with how things were handled by the front-line customer service channels. The employees at the Executive Team will take the time to listen to your concerns and have the autonomy to take care of situations like yours.

I wish you all the best in getting this situation resolved.

The Access Dept or Special Services may be able to help. This is a new policy and there will be growing pains and well meaning staff on the phones that are following a script. The fact that the policy change was made well after you booked initially and without sufficient time to cancel, I'm sure someone will work with you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's none of our business what the second drink is. The bottled water is a medical need so I don't understand why a medical waiver wouldn't work. The OP isn't trying to scam the system to save a few bucks. :rolleyes:

The OP's TA called the Special Access desk (uh huh...) and was told "no medical waivers".

But the OP doesn't know what level of detail the TA gave.

I posit that the TA called and said "can my client bring bottles of water on, if they have a medical waiver?" And was told "no, sorry".

OP calling directly, instead of starting this thread, would probably have solved the problem in 5 minutes.

Stephen

OP calling directly, instead of starting this thread, would probably have solved the problem in 5 minutes.

Agreed.

No more angry emoticons. No Facebook and Twitter blast. No executive team. No e-mails. OP simply needs to call the access desk as advised above. Problem solved.

Edited by triptolemus

I am very proactive and I would have been calling NCL directly about 5 seconds after being told that no medical waiver was possible. I don't understand why she has not called NCL. I wish I could call for her. I too have had colon cancer and face many of the same issues as her husband so I sympathize with their position. I sure hope it gets resolved to their satisfaction and wish them luck.

I hope she posts again with good news.

This is the can of worms that has been opened by NCL's recent actions.

They will be flooded with "medical needs" claims with requests for exceptions to the water policy. Some of these requests will be legitimate, some will be BS, but it will be tough for NCL to discern one from the other.

A doctor's note is meaningless. That can easily be forged, and NCL does not have the time to verify each one.

Right now it seems they are just defaulting to a blanket "NO", thereby shutting out all medical-related claims. Their answer will simply be, "Buy our water onboard if you need it so badly."

I agree that it was REALLY LOUSY that they made this change effective two weeks later. Anyone past final payment date is stuck with it.

I disagree that the contract exonerates them from any possible lawsuit. For example, the contract says nothing about the quality of food being offered to you, but if they degraded all free food offerings to bread and water, you would have a legitimate claim against them for changing the expected terms of the cruise.

One could easily argue that the ability to bring on bottled water and canned soda was an expectation you had when booking. This is a fairly major change to many people, and there should honestly be some right to penalty-free cancellation for those for whom this is a dealbreaker. There won't be, but there should be, and a court might agree with this.

Anyway, give a shot by calling the Access Desk yourself, but don't expect them to solve it. I'm sure they have already been informed to claim "no exceptions" to the policy. All they need is someone to get an exception and post here, "Hey guys! Guess what! Say you have diabetes and you get to bring on bottled water!!", and suddenly hundreds (or thousands) of people will inundate them with "diabetes" claims.

This is just a dumb way for NCL to be trying to make extra money. They should stick to their clever little surcharges in order to squeeze extra pennies out of each cruiser. This just pisses too many people off, and the backlash will cost them more than the extra bucks they make in the short term.

As harsh as it is, I can understand why NCL is saying this is a blanket policy. If all it took was a doctors note to get cases of water onboard, pretty soon everyone who wants to bring water onboard will be getting a doctors note saying they have a medical need. Unfortunately, the dishonest actions of a few often negatively affect those that have the real need.

Just like the parents who get their doctors to write notes saying that Bobby and Sally have ADHD and can't wait in line, and then BOOM they go right to the front of the line at Disney, no questions asked. I am fairly certain that many of them have no condition whatsoever, other than having entitled parents.

Obviously this doesn't seem to be OP's case but situations like this is probably why NCL is being unnecessarily harsh.

As harsh as it is if a customer presents medical documentation to a business the business has no right to second guess it, if a reasonable accomodation is available it has to be provided. Yes, people do take advantage of the system but that is something for the legislature to addresss.

OP, I hope that when you call the special access desk and explain things to them that they will be forthcoming with a waiver. With the old NCL I am sure that would be the result, with the new NCL I am not as confident.

I have sympathy for your situation. I can also see that some people would lie and claim they shouldn't have to provide proof of a medical need. It sounds like the topic of service dogs. There are those with a legitimate need and who could provide medical proof and registrations. Then, there are those who bring on their dogs in strollers who have a suitcase for all of their dog's outfits...

How sad that companies can't be fair and logical.

OP,

I would suggest if they won't allow you to carry on what is needed, you could do a couple of things. Let's just say you need a drink with electolytes such as Gatorade.

You could request that a case be delivered to your stateroom and negotiate a

price pre-cruise.

If it is available in a powder, (like Gatorade) you could take unopened packets available in the supermarket or outdoor stores and reconstitute it with water onboard.

Sorry you have to jump through unnecessary hoops. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Sounds like they are sailing very close to an ADA violation here.

With such an easy "responsible accommodation" I don't know what their defense would be.

I don't think the ADA would agree that someone needs a specific brand of bottled water over another brand. There have been people posting here that they are going to bring a note from their doctor that they can only drink Dasani, for example. It's my opinion that any doctor even willing to write that note is a quack.

Otherwise, the ship provides water, both for free and for purchase.