No medical waivers honored! Past final payment

EOSapril11

Sorry...I may have missed this, but do you have cancellation insurance? If so, I would use it. This isn't worth the aggravation.

Pepsi does own Gatorade, so you might be able to get it on board, but I've not seen it (but I haven't been looking).

My husband is irritated about this as well since we also carry on some drinks because of health restrictions. He has been on the phone/emailing people with no real results. He isn't giving up (he enjoys this type of thing and sees it as a challenge).

Like others, we're also kicking around just cancelling (especially our 2018). We'll see how things end up before making any decisions.

That's a good idea. Also, OP, you should not be calling anyone. You need to have this all in writing to the access desk. If they give you permission to bring these items on, your phone call is worthless at the pier. You need to have it in writing.

I will have no problem getting it in writing. I have no problem bringing lab results, MRIs, cat scans, hospital bills, medical charts, doctors notes...I have it all. I want to be prepared BEOFRE I get to the pier. Why would I wait until I get to the pier? I'm trying to find out what I need WHEN I get to the pier.

I agree with Sparks...The powder gatorade will work just fine. I am a little confused on why you feel this is discrimination? There is an easy fix...purchase water and bring powdered gatorade. Yes the water is expensive but your husband needs it because of health issues correct? If my husband needed it...I would fork over the money! Happy Sailing!

Sorry...I may have missed this, but do you have cancellation insurance? If so, I would use it. This isn't worth the aggravation.

Pepsi does own Gatorade, so you might be able to get it on board, but I've not seen it (but I haven't been looking).

My husband is irritated about this as well since we also carry on some drinks because of health restrictions. He has been on the phone/emailing people with no real results. He isn't giving up (he enjoys this type of thing and sees it as a challenge).

Like others, we're also kicking around just cancelling (especially our 2018). We'll see how things end up before making any decisions.

Yes, I have cancellation insurance, but I do not want to cancel my family vacation over this. We are 24 days out. There are not many other weeks my family & I can vacation last minute this summer due to camp, work, weddings, & other obligations. It is a possibility, but not a deal breaker. NCL will definitely not see us ever again. This has caused a lot of stress, time & aggravation.

I will have no problem getting it in writing. I have no problem bringing lab results, MRIs, cat scans, hospital bills, medical charts, doctors notes...I have it all. I want to be prepared BEOFRE I get to the pier. Why would I wait until I get to the pier? I'm trying to find out what I need WHEN I get to the pier.
I believe she is saying that if they allow you to bring on the Gatorade and water, get that in writing so if you are questioned at the pier, you can show them the letter/email from NCL.

I agree with Sparks...The powder gatorade will work just fine. I am a little confused on why you feel this is discrimination? There is an easy fix...purchase water and bring powdered gatorade. Yes the water is expensive but your husband needs it because of health issues correct? If my husband needed it...I would fork over the money! Happy Sailing!

Obviously we will buy it but an extra $200-300 a few weeks away is not chump change. It's not because we don't like what they're serving. When we booked, we thought we could bring what we needed.

That's a good idea. Also, OP, you should not be calling anyone. You need to have this all in writing to the access desk. If they give you permission to bring these items on, your phone call is worthless at the pier. You need to have it in writing.

I agree, there needs to be a paper trail.

OP I would give serious thought to bringing the powdered Gatorade with you and maybe a Brita filter.

A brita filter doesn't take care of the sodium levels in ship water, which is the problem for most, myself included.

If those with medical problems were the only ones being charged for water then yes it would be discriminatory and price gouging for a medical reason. But EVERYONE is being price gouged for water so it is definitely not discriminatory.

It's not just "swelling", but I lost mobility in my fingers and ankles by the end of day 4 the last time I drank a lot of ship water. To require me to pay that much extra for bottled water to avoid that (when I drink tap water at home all the time) absolutely is price gouging me for a medical reason. I would be happy to pay the $4/case Carnival is charging but not the $47 NCL is.

It may sound crude, but think about it this way. Let's say NCL banned women from carrying on sanitary pads and tampons, citing security reasons. They provided free sanitary pads, but tampons cost $40 a box. Would you think that was acceptable? To some there's a big difference between the items, to others not so much. But it's a policy that affects some cruisers much more harshly than others.

You said you were waiting for a call back, hence my response that you should be communicating with the access desk in writing.

Obviously we will buy it but an extra $200-300 a few weeks away is not chump change. It's not because we don't like what they're serving. When we booked, we thought we could bring what we needed.

OP -- Since you have been placed in a position where you must fight fire with fire, the following may be worth consideration.

Read carefully the restriction from NCL, and you could comply by taking some infant formula and a case or two of purified or distilled water.

Think outside the box and it may save you a few bucks.

Please don't get aggravated or let this ruin your vacation. You haven't even worked this through with NCL. What if they offer a mutually agreeable solution?

The only person you should be communicating with right now is your SAC, that is exactly why they are there. No one here can do anything.

Always ask what your options are and be willing to provide proof of the situation. You can have some proposals of your own as well. $200 OBC, free Photo Package.

My point is, they're not out to get anyone and really do want to work with you. Also, this might take a day or two, especially since the bottled water policy is new. Who knows, if you work out a solution, it may become a new policy.

OP -- Since you have been placed in a position where you must fight fire with fire, the following may be worth consideration.

Read carefully the restriction from NCL, and you could comply by taking some infant formula and a case or two of purified or distilled water.

Great idea!#

Or borrow a CPAP machine from someone.:)

First of all, I'll just disclose that I'm a brat. When it comes to disability accommodations, I don't screw around. I'm a diabetic, and I have very specific items that make me comfortable. Do I "need" them? Probably not, but you never know. Will I be able to enjoy my vacation, that I paid my hard-earned money for, without "my" stuff? Nope. Kinda defeats the point of going in the first place.

So, here's what I would do, in your case...and it's served me quite well. Call the special needs desk, as mentioned. If they give you the "no medical waivers" bulls***, ask to speak to a supervisor and give your spiel again. If THAT doesn't work, this line usually does the trick: "I understand your policies, but I promise you this. If I hang up this phone, and my issue has not been resolved to my satisfaction, my next phone call will be to my attorney and the call after that will be to the local media outlet. So, unless you'd like to deal with a lawsuit and/or media backlash, I suggest you re-evaluate your policy."

See where that gets you. Usually they just concede, although they may ask you for paperwork from your physician, so be prepared with that. Hope that helps....

I think that would only work if she actually is travelling with an infant. Thinking outside the box only goes so far.

And as long as we are heavy on cliches, I don't think fighting fire with fire is the solution here. In this case, NCL has a flamethrower, while OP has a matchstick. She needs to try and get them to work with her.

The bottom line issue is that the water costs too much. So maybe Access Desk can negotiate with her can give her some onboard credit to help defray the cost of the water? But, to use a cliche once again, it's a slippery slope. Once they give credit to some people, everyone who wants their water onboard will start calling Access and talking about salinity in the water.

As we all know, what really needs to happen is for NCL to reduce the price of a case of water to something reasonable. However, I have a feeling if it's anything more than the $4.24 that people pay at Costco, that many will still complain.

First of all, I'll just disclose that I'm a brat. When it comes to disability accommodations, I don't screw around. I'm a diabetic, and I have very specific items that make me comfortable. Do I "need" them? Probably not, but you never know. Will I be able to enjoy my vacation, that I paid my hard-earned money for, without "my" stuff? Nope. Kinda defeats the point of going in the first place.

So, here's what I would do, in your case...and it's served me quite well. Call the special needs desk, as mentioned. If they give you the "no medical waivers" bulls***, ask to speak to a supervisor and give your spiel again. If THAT doesn't work, this line usually does the trick: "I understand your policies, but I promise you this. If I hang up this phone, and my issue has not been resolved to my satisfaction, my next phone call will be to my attorney and the call after that will be to the local media outlet. So, unless you'd like to deal with a lawsuit and/or media backlash, I suggest you re-evaluate your policy."

See where that gets you. Usually they just concede, although they may ask you for paperwork from your physician, so be prepared with that. Hope that helps....

Ugh. I would promptly hang up on you. I can't stand people that make threats, and that is not the way to handle this. NCL has a rather large legal team that reviews these decisions before they are made. There are no legal issues here. :rolleyes:

Or borrow a CPAP machine from someone.:)
I'm not too familiar with CPAP machines, but I don't think they need that much water, do they? Maybe a gallon at most for the week? NCL supposedly will provide the water for CPAP machines. If someone needs 10 bottles of water a day, one gallon for the week would hardly cut it.

My wife who is in the medical field suggests that you get a notarized letter from your Doctor of your needs. Contact NCL Guest Relations. Or have it faxed directly from your Doctors office. I would do this asap. Don't let them stall you. Don't take No for an answer.

I'm not too familiar with CPAP machines, but I don't think they need that much water, do they? Maybe a gallon at most for the week? NCL supposedly will provide the water for CPAP machines. If someone needs 10 bottles of water a day, one gallon for the week would hardly cut it.
Plus not sure anyone would be willing to give up a CPAP machine that they need, so the OP could save some money.

I agree with Sisaaaaaa, I would call your bluff too and tell you to go ahead. The way to negotiate with people is not to be ultra aggressive and make threats. Your method might work when you are trying to bully the cashier at the grocery store into giving you the sale price on orange peppers when the advertisement clearly shows green peppers but simply states that "peppers" are on sale. But I hardly think that method has much success when dealing with a large corporation that employs many lawyers specifically to combat people like you.

You said you were waiting for a call back, hence my response that you should be communicating with the access desk in writing.

I just sent an email. Again, without CC I would not have known about the access desk number or email. We have never had this problem before. We live our lives normally and/or I plan &research before we go. I don't make this issue run our lives. We bring what we need, or make sure it's available.