What are my options? They might not go...

There's a chance that my parents will not be able to go on the cruise that we paid for and would love to understand our options besides canceling their cabin and loss of 100% payment. Please note that they won't be able to go due to a real estate signing that may occur during the same week of the cruise. They are doing their best to close this deal prior to the cruise but haven't entered into escrow. This real estate deal will take precedent.

We did not purchase travel insurance and I am highly doubtful that travel insurance would cover this type of reason. We are sailing August 5th and advice is appreciated.:confused:

Can they assign power of attorney specifically for this closing and let someone else attend the closing on their behalf?

Even with my broker's license, I forgot about this option. Since my parents are conservative and doing a For-Sell-By-Owner, I'm not sure if they would be up for doing an power of attorney but I will check.

Thank you so much!

we completed a home sale while on a cruise. We set it up so we could sign electronically, with a password. Everything went through without a problem.

Good to know. I told my parents that I would even pay for Voom (in addition to the cruise). They weren't sold but I will work on it.

I agree with most of the good advice given here.

Power of attorney is a possibility.

I, too, sold a house while on a cruise. (my parents' house). Everything was done via fax and electronically.

You CANNOT just transfer the reservation to two other people. If your parents have their own cabin, then at least one of their names must remain on the reservation.

I agree with most of the good advice given here.

Power of attorney is a possibility.

I, too, sold a house while on a cruise. (my parents' house). Everything was done via fax and electronically.

You CANNOT just transfer the reservation to two other people. If your parents have their own cabin, then at least one of their names must remain on the reservation.

Thank you for the response...do you think it would help in terms of not having at least one of their names remain on the cabin if I was the original payor of all the cabins?

Even with my broker's license, I forgot about this option. Since my parents are conservative and doing a For-Sell-By-Owner, I'm not sure if they would be up for doing an power of attorney but I will check.

Thank you so much!

If they are the sellers, they could sign the deed in advance. The other seller documents are pretty simple, not a lot of liability. It will probably be up to the buyers lender and/or title insurer.

I have over 30 yrs in lending & real estate. Your parents need to discuss this with the closing agent (escrow officer at title co if that is who closes properties in your area) The closing agent will be able to advise them as to what is possible based on kind of transaction and if long distance signing will work or signing early. It's usually pretty easy but needs to be coordinated with the buyers lender as often there are papers from the lender the seller needs to sign also. Signing early is done often just speak with the Escrow/Closing agent.

No need to cancel their cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the response...do you think it would help in terms of not having at least one of their names remain on the cabin if I was the original payor of all the cabins?

The fact that you paid for the stateroom is irrelevant regarding the names listed on it and at least one of their names must remain on the reservation as Merion_Mom indicated.

I agree with everyone that the best course of action is to contact the closing agent and find out how to handle having them close while gone (either through power of attroney or electronic signatures, etc). We did this on our house in the US after moving to Germany and my dad who owns a real estate agency in Mexico does this often with buyers or sellers from the US or Canada who are not there at the time of a closing.

I think it has become a fairly common thing--and with what is likely a more simple sale (by owner, nothing international, etc) should really not be difficult to arrange and far less costly than the missed cruise would be.

And, so far as I understand it, no, it does not matter who paid for the rooms--one of the passengers originally in the room must still sail in the room--otherwise it is considered cancelled.

Edited by NHDisneylover

If in US, you do not need to attend "the closing." Have sold property in PA and bought and sold in FL without attending a closing with buyers/sellers. Parents should be able to close their side and then buyers/sellers close their side. Attorney/closing agent handled deal and most recent case, sellers closed by snail mail.

Am surprised that it would be that simple. I have a mentor that I would love to have join me...

it is NOT that simple as at least one name for the original booking must remain.

seriously the BEST option( and least expensive) is to get a POA. we used our realtor once as we had to be en route to our next duty station before Closing.

took 10 minutes to get the POA.

Two other people can go instead, just do a name change.

As others have stated it doesn't matter who paid for the cabin - 1 name must remain on the reservation - any other names can be changed

You are a Broker? E sign done everywhere. Or have closing papers drawn up early and they can sign off with funds wired into their act. when closed. Cruise thing more complicated.

Edited by zoncom

Maybe try trip insurance through a 3rd party vendor. It might not be too late.

No insurance policy will cover a real estate closing. You can do a "cancel for any reason," but it would be pretty unethical to know you are going to cancel, buy the policy, then cancel and claim. If it's still likely you will go, then the "cancel for any reason" clause is possible. Try looking at RCCL's policy as they offer this feature (it's 75% credit to another cruise). Third Party policies generally require purchase within 2 weeks or so of initial payment to get this option.

Have your parents close the sale while on the cruise.

We purchased a home last year while on our cruise. We had a family member attend the property inspection. The report and all pictures were emailed to me so we could see it. We did price negotiation through email with our agent.

No insurance policy will cover a real estate closing. You can do a "cancel for any reason," but it would be pretty unethical to know you are going to cancel, buy the policy, then cancel and claim. If it's still likely you will go, then the "cancel for any reason" clause is possible. Try looking at RCCL's policy as they offer this feature (it's 75% credit to another cruise). Third Party policies generally require purchase within 2 weeks or so of initial payment to get this option.

I agree. Even if it is purchased through a 3rd party, there are stipulations to cancel for any reason. It must be purchased within a certain time frame (i.e. 24hrs - 2 weeks) from initial payment. Also most only cover 75%.

It is too late to purchase cancel for any reason coverage when the trip has been paid for. If they purchase it now, their claim will be denied.

we completed a home sale while on a cruise. We set it up so we could sign electronically, with a password. Everything went through without a problem.

I also completed a sale while on a cruise. All done electronically. However that was with an agent.

Two other people can go instead, just do a name change.

My wife and I are available on short notice, where are we going?

I looked at the OP's post history. Looks like it could be a Navigator sailing, We are sitll in!

Edited by BillOh