Oceania Cruises Close to Cuba Approval

LauraS

We went to Cuba on a people to people tour with Grand Circle Foundation two years ago. We have also been on multiple Oceania cruises. I would suggest that Oceania cruisers set your expectations differently from other cruise stops and enjoy what is there.

You're not in Kansas anymore. The Cuban people still have ration books and still go to stores out of the 20s with their bag for flour and bottle for oil, with goods to be weighed out on an old fashioned scale and mostly bare shelves. Almost every business is government owned. You will travel in buses owned by the government, bought in China, with a driver who is a government employee and a guide who is also a government employee, never mind what the company name says or what you are told. Any tips or gifts you give guides or drivers goes back to the government run company. Someone in our group left a gift for the guide on her seat in the bus and the driver took it and put it "away." Your taxi driver might be a surgeon who is moonlighting. Doctors, like everyone else, get a small flat wage that at the time was about $25 per month.

I may have been paranoid but our tour driver, who supposedly did not speak English, seemed to be monitoring what the guide said. A different guide in China told us that this used to happen there so I was noticing it. If someone asked the guide a question she did not know the answer to, he would tell her in Spanish without her having translated it.

That said, they are wonderful people, friendly and outgoing but be careful who you say what to and where. There are a very few small businesses allowed to operate now but they are heavily taxed and operate under stringent conditions. They can be closed down in a minute for even a minor infraction.

We were told that we could bring gifts to give to organizations we would visit-guitar strings and spices were on the top of the list. It is hard for us to understand how a country so close to us could have so much difficulty getting the basics.

They have a very odd view of who we are, which is why tourism may help. One guide told us that he heard that in the US, we throw away a toaster when it breaks and buy a new one. When the embargo is lifted, we will be able to put all our old toasters on a boat, send them to Cuba and they will fix them and send them back to us! He was completely sincere and serious.

There is an interesting book "Havana Nocturne" that gives some insight into what Cuba was like just before the revolution, especially interesting background when you visit the Hotel Nacional. Nonfiction by a crime writer so a fun read and more or less accurate. Can't remember his name.

Mary

We went to Cuba on a people to people tour with Grand Circle Foundation two years ago. We have also been on multiple Oceania cruises. I would suggest that Oceania cruisers set your expectations differently from other cruise stops and enjoy what is there.

You're not in Kansas anymore. The Cuban people still have ration books and still go to stores out of the 20s with their bag for flour and bottle for oil, with goods to be weighed out on an old fashioned scale and mostly bare shelves. Almost every business is government owned. You will travel in buses owned by the government, bought in China, with a driver who is a government employee and a guide who is also a government employee, never mind what the company name says or what you are told. Any tips or gifts you give guides or drivers goes back to the government run company. Someone in our group left a gift for the guide on her seat in the bus and the driver took it and put it "away." Your taxi driver might be a surgeon who is moonlighting. Doctors, like everyone else, get a small flat wage that at the time was about $25 per month.

I may have been paranoid but our tour driver, who supposedly did not speak English, seemed to be monitoring what the guide said. A different guide in China told us that this used to happen there so I was noticing it. If someone asked the guide a question she did not know the answer to, he would tell her in Spanish without her having translated it.

That said, they are wonderful people, friendly and outgoing but be careful who you say what to and where. There are a very few small businesses allowed to operate now but they are heavily taxed and operate under stringent conditions. They can be closed down in a minute for even a minor infraction.

We were told that we could bring gifts to give to organizations we would visit-guitar strings and spices were on the top of the list. It is hard for us to understand how a country so close to us could have so much difficulty getting the basics.

They have a very odd view of who we are, which is why tourism may help. One guide told us that he heard that in the US, we throw away a toaster when it breaks and buy a new one. When the embargo is lifted, we will be able to put all our old toasters on a boat, send them to Cuba and they will fix them and send them back to us! He was completely sincere and serious.

There is an interesting book "Havana Nocturne" that gives some insight into what Cuba was like just before the revolution, especially interesting background when you visit the Hotel Nacional. Nonfiction by a crime writer so a fun read and more or less accurate. Can't remember his name.

Mary

Many real good reasons NOT to go to Cuba yet.

My wife's experience entirely different

Entrepreneurs abound

Tour guides and drivers making more than doctors

Restaurant ownership is growing and those individuals making money

She is still in touch with her guide

Many reasons to go!!!

She is still raving about the experience

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife's experience entirely different

Entrepreneurs abound

Tour guides and drivers making more than doctors

Restaurant ownership is growing and those individuals making money

She is still in touch with her guide

Many reasons to go!!!

She is still raving about the experience

I have not been there so I can only comment on what I read from people who say they were there. Sounds like night and day. When we get there we will find out for ourselves. I am sure we will sooner or later.

Mary

It is called a Trade embargo put on them by the USA

;)

Edited by LHT28

Do a land trip!!! Just my opinion

Your time is limited, but there are a couple of things you can do. If your ship docks in Old Havana harbor, you'll really get the most out your short morning. My recommendations:

Do not eat dinner on the ship. Yes, I know you've already paid for your meal, but with limited time in Cuba, I recommend you enjoy dinner ashore at a paladar (private restaurant). ...

Unfortunately, there is right now a food crisis in Havana, brought on by the increase in tourism. The locals are finding it difficult to find normal fresh staples like tomatoes and peppers, while private markets and private restaurants flourish with all the best for the tourists.

So, if it was me overnighting in Havana, I'd eat on the ship. Not sure what I'd do if I took a land tour (which I can do, being Canadian.)

Unfortunately, there is right now a food crisis in Havana, brought on by the increase in tourism. The locals are finding it difficult to find normal fresh staples like tomatoes and peppers, while private markets and private restaurants flourish with all the best for the tourists.

So, if it was me overnighting in Havana, I'd eat on the ship. Not sure what I'd do if I took a land tour (which I can do, being Canadian.)

We can do the same thing, not that I would want to. Will wait until Cuba is a free country. Then there will be all the fresh staples that the people need.

We can do the same thing, not that I would want to. Will wait until Cuba is a free country. Then there will be all the fresh staples that the people need.

Yes when the USA lifts the embargo it will be easier for the Cubans to get much needed supplies

They will be able to get supplies to fix their buildings & cars etc..

Not in your lifetime I would guess

Agree

Unless the OP is 10 years old (or she/he is in China ant not in Cuba)

These things take a while (or a lot of foreign investment/capital but there is not much to invest in at present), unfortunately

Edited by Paulchili

Thank you Paulchili and LHT28 and Travelcat.

Hope to see you all onboard a cruise to Havana.

FDR

FDR,

I am very happy for Cuba, Cuban people and you personally.

I wish Cuba and its people all the happiness and a quick road to economic recovery and prosperity.

We have visited Cuba before on land and look forward to an Oceania cruise there in the future - hopefully with additional stops

Edited by Paulchili

We are booked on the March 31 sailing and was greatly looking forward to our first visit to Havana on Oceania. We have wanted to go to Cuba for several years but not been able to arrange it so this addition was great!

I am happy for you FDR and those at Oceania for this achievement and being first in. Must be very satisifying. And hopefully this will be a good thing for the people of Cuba and not too fast and disruptive.

However, (there is always a "but" right?) we are struggling a bit with the three things.

The change to the itinerary, the additonal sea day and especially substituting Nassau. I realize your hands might be tied as to what days they will allow Marina to dock and that is why this odd routing was made.

And that maybe it will be not 2 days but an overnight (an evening in Havana will be excellent) but with needing to be back to the ship by 10 AM the next day after that excellent night out, I don't know how many of us will be up to a couple of hours of early sightseeing - so that will be essentually another sea day.

And that we will be required to pay $125 tourist card. As a Canadian couple we are looking at CAD $360 to be allowed to visit Havana for one day vs $40 if we flew in on our own.

I acknowledge that this is tied up in the People to People bureaucracy and so things are the way they are because that's the way they are.

I'm getting confirmation tomorrow from our agent on the time Marina leaves Havana as there is a significant discrepancy from what we received on our official documents from Oceania.

That has Marina leaving at 11:59 PM which would be excellent versus the 11 AM that is shown on the itinerary on the website. I dont understand how a significant discrepency like that can happen.

If it really is 23:00 then that would give us indeed two full days and makes that fee completely palatable. And fully offsets the other changes to the itinerary. We would be very excited to be on that voyage.

I am hopeful tomorrow will be one of those good news days.

Edited by YoHoHo

That has Marina leaving at 11:59 PM which would be excellent versus the 11 AM that is shown on the itinerary on the website. I dont understand how a significant discrepency like that can happen.

I'm guessing someone just mixed up "AM" and "PM" on the website, and it should say "11 PM". You only need one full day to sail from Havana to Nassau (about 400 nautical miles).

That is my hope too - that would be fabulous. Thanks for the info on time to cruise to Nassau. O might have to weigh anchor at 11 am though as per the port master. Will find out soon.

In either case, even if departing in the am, after making that far too long post I already feel better. My apologies to the internet.

Edited by YoHoHo

This weekend, my TA forwarded Oceania's official "Important Itinerary Update". We are booked on the March 31 Marina trip. We are scheduled to arrive in Havana on April 6th at 8am and depart April 7th at 11:59pm.

With this "Update", there are additional government forms. Funny (and I really mean strange) is that the OFAC Cuba Travel Affidavit requires that each guest retain a copy for 5 years from the date of completion of their travel to Cuba.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This weekend, my TA forwarded Oceania's official "Important Itinerary Update". We are booked on the March 31 Marina trip. We are scheduled to arrive in Havana on April 6th at 8am and depart April 7th at 11:59pm.

With this "Update", there are additional government forms. Funny (and I really mean strange) is that the OFAC Cuba Travel Affidavit requires that each guest retain a copy for 5 years from the date of completion of their travel to Cuba.

The five-year rule was in effect when we visited Cuba one year ago. FWIW, I scanned the document as a PDF and it's sitting on my computer in our Cuba file. I'd completely forgotten this until I read your post, but obviously, I took the requirement seriously enough to make the PDF.

Does your paperwork tell you the regulation about retaining information about your activities in Cuba to prove you complied with the conditions for US citizens visiting there? Our tour leader kept a diary of our activities and sent it out as a PDF. That, too is on our computer. His report was much appreciated since we aren't tourists who routinely write a travel diary or take enough photographs to document all our activities. (I always joke that when I can't remember what I saw and did, it's time to go back.)

I had a circular email from our agent today announcing the news that Oceania and Regent cruises are going to Cuba. Interesting, I thought... I looked closer and saw that the first cruise was in March and on Marina. Even more interesting, I thought....as we are booked on a Marina March cruise. Then I looked at the cruise 'name' - Old Town Rhythms. Oh, not the March cruise we are booked on then, that was called 'Old Town Charms'. What a pity, I'd love to see Cuba, Havana at least....

Only when curiosity made me check the calendar did I realise that this IS our cruise, renamed and re-routed!

My question is, how long will it take someone to contact us to say our trip has changed shape?! Only yesterday were we researching independent shore trips at the ports were due to go to!

My question is, how long will it take someone to contact us to say our trip has changed shape?! Only yesterday were we researching independent shore trips at the ports were due to go to!

I did hear of the excellent news of O visiting Cuba earlier thanks to CC. Like you were were already booked and was waiting for official word.

Our notice was received late on Friday. Yours might be en-route. Seems like some folks got them a little sooner. Lots of work I suspect in different departments at O to make this happen for the three affected itineraries.

Check with your TA. Hopefully they will pass it along to you in a timely manner.

Edited by YoHoHo