Alcoves On The Silhouette

janetz

This is a pretty good Alcove thread, I think you might find it interesting for a couple of reasons:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49847085#post49847085

Not disagreeing with Cruise a holic, that is a good location. I differ a bit in that I like the center ones. Never have noticed the smoke on the other side but, then again, I have not been on the very end. As for the earlier comment made about privacy. 1) You have far more privacy in the Alcove than you ever will have on a pool lounger. 2) I have rented one three times and have only had someone talk to me as I was standing up and looking at the ocean. The questions are almost always, "How do you rent one of these?"

Also, the buffet is just below the Alcove area and it is super easy to run down to grab something. Sometimes we call the attendant for a drink (you have a phone in each Alcove) sometimes I just walk to the bar and grab one.

I can see Alcoves on our Reflection sailing but when I try to add one to my cart it says not available. Our sailing is in February.....am I too early?

Call specialty dining. That's how you book them. Or at least, it's the only way we've ever been able to book them.

Does anyone know if there is a way to book these and wait to pay on board to use OBC?

No, they must be prepaid.

How do you know which alcove is yours, do they assign them and let you know or is the location determined once you get there?

Other than the fruit plate, can you have other food delivered there? Possibly from the room service menu?

How is the drink service there, do you have to call someone when you are ready for a refill or do they generally loop through on occasion?

I'm trying to think through what the day would be like. Thanks!

Alcoves are assigned, and you'll find your name on a card on the coffee table in one of them. You can talk to someone the day before at the Lawn Club Grill to TRY to request a particular one. But no, you don't just choose them first come first served.

In my experience, room service only delivers to cabins. The alcove attendant can bring lunch from The Porch, and you also get a complimentary fruit and cheese plate. As someone said, the buffet is nearby and you can bring food into the alcoves that you get elsewhere.

Drinks: You'll have an alcove attendant, who is based at the Lawn Club Grill. They do circle through, though we've found that can be anywhere from often to rarely. There's a phone in the alcove you can use to call for service. We have sometimes found that if we make friends (via a tip) with a waiter from the Sunset Bar, just aft of the alcoves, they will come by more frequently than the actual alcove attendant.

Typical day: There is no particular time you need to arrive, so you can show up at 9am, or not til 4pm if you want. You can come and go as you please throughout the day. We usually head up mid morning after breakfast. Sometimes we eat lunch in the alcove, sometimes we leave and eat elsewhere. If it's super hot we might go down to the pool for a bit, or even back to the cabin early to mid afternoon for a nap. If we do, we usually head back to the alcove mid to later afternoon for a while. We often share with 1 or 2 other couples, and between us there is usually someone there at any point in the day as we all come and go. It makes a nice meeting spot, and other friends know where to find us.

I like to be on the Porch side......also typically the side that doesn't get the most sun,

But wouldn't that depend on what day it is? On most itineraries, the ship heads one way for a few days then turns around and heads back so the sun would be on the opposite side for half of the cruise. ;)

I have just booked the alcove for our November transatlantic cruise out of Rome.

Is the Porch food at extra cost?

The blurb talks about food being delivered in a picnic basket Any info would be gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most definitely. What a wasted opportunity. I certainly would prefer to look at the sea, rather than a patch of grass.

This is exactly the thing that holds me back- I LOVE all the other amenities! LOVE the picnic lunch, even if it's additional. But I want to see the water when I am on a ship....

Yes they are worth it! We typically reserve at least a few days on board if not the week. We enjoy a comfortable place to sit and great for meeting family or friends. In addition to the comfortable seating (awning goes up to protect you from the sun if you like, as long as the wind isn't horrible), you get nice service. The waiter's bring you water, can get you drinks if you like- if you are on the drink package included, and we even had lunch served to us from the porch- or bring it to the alcove. In the afternoon-or whenever you like, you are served a beautiful cheese platter- also a fruit platter, well suited for 6 guests. If you run out of bottled water or ice, it is also replenished. The cost as of our March cruise, is $99 for port days and $149 for sea days- If you book the week, you actually get one day free. You are close to restrooms and the aft bar- You have to go down one level to get to the pool-but not a big deal as you have a nice seat in the alcove to dry off. Enjoy

We had one couple years ago, knew the ship would be full so reserved for a sea day. So glad we did but only because of the difficulty of getting a chair otherwise.

The service was just meh; i.e. looong waits for drinks.

Maybe we were just there on a bad day. We'd still do it again if we know the ship will be full.

Definitely worth it for that alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Most definitely. What a wasted opportunity. I certainly would prefer to look at the sea, rather than a patch of grass.

When you sit by the pools, many of the seats do not face the ocean. They are also very noise and the seating doesn't compare in comfort and service you get in an Alcove. You do not have to worry about chair hogs or people removing your towels when you go to lunch or are away from you seat for more then 30 minutes. I enjoy seeing the ocean from the balcony of our cabin or suite and do not understand how people can opt for an inside stateroom, however if that is due to budget issues- any space on a cruise is better then no cruise!

Of course the Alcoves aren't for everyone!

Edited by Cruise a holic

When you sit by the pools, many of the seats do not face the ocean. They are also very noise and the seating doesn't compare in comfort and service you get in an Alcove. You do not have to worry about chair hogs or people removing your towels when you go to lunch or are away from you seat for more then 30 minutes. I enjoy seeing the ocean from the balcony of our cabin or suite and do not understand how people can opt for an inside stateroom, however if that is due to budget issues- any space on a cruise is better then no cruise!

Of course the Alcoves aren't for everyone!

The Alcoves do look to be lovely, I would just wish they were facing outward rather than into the ship. Odd that they were designed to do that. And quite honestly, I am one of those weird people who actually prefer an inside cabin, I love them. On our first cruise in a mini suite on Princess, I doubt if we spent an hour all week on the balcony. I found it to be a waste for me. I would just rather be out and about with other people.

We had an alcove two days for our cruise this March. It was the first time in an alcove and we were not sure what to expect. It was fabulous! First of all, it is very comfortable, with two chairs and a sofa, tables and that awesome awning. There is drink and food service, which we did not use much. But we were happy with the buckets with bottled water and ice refilled throughout the day and the fruit and cheese plates. We actually just got up and wandered to the mast grill or the buffet for any food we needed, and the sunset bar for any drinks. I would recommend trying it at least once.

Hope this helps!

I have just booked the alcove for our November transatlantic cruise out of Rome.

Is the Porch food at extra cost?

Jackie, the Porch and Lawn Club food would be an additional cost unless you were part of the unlimited dining package

The blurb talks about food being delivered in a picnic basket Any info would be gratefully received.

Picnic basket would also be extra. I believe they prepare them in Lawn Club. The only food that is not an upcharge is the fruit plate they deliver. Nice plate of fruit/cheese and a few crackers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are going to book an Alcove on our next Silhouette cruise. Does anyone know if the music and wine and cheese party on the lawn is usually a sea or port day. Or is it random?

What exactly does this "party on the lawn" entail? I am seeing the serenity of the Alcoves disappear out the window.

I do not recall any day time picnic's. They did have at night music on the lawn with wine and cheese from time to time- In addition, last time we were on the Silhoutte I played bacci ball as they had a contest on the lawn- but that surely didn't last more then an hour- and rather then it being a problem- it was interesting to watch and participate. Having a front row comfortable seat is also a plus. Also, the lawn is open and sometime people do sit on the lawn to sunbathe or use the 6 hammocks and two giant sized lawn chairs which are open to the public and located on the lawn. It isn't a monastery!

Edited by Cruise a holic

Nor a sanctuary...:) Do enjoy Bocce :D

The Alcoves are available to book online for our sailing. I think we will give it a try on a port day. Jamaica

Edited by janetz

Nor a sanctuary...:) Do enjoy Bocce :D

The Alcoves are available to book online for our sailing. I think we will give it a try on a port day. Jamaica

Never played it before- surely Bocci is " not my cup of tea"- but why not try different things- I enjoy new experiences (sometimes!).

Edited by Cruise a holic

• 1 month later...

On our last cruise in March, was $149 sea days, and $ 99 port days. If you purchase for the week, you get a 20% discount. The discount will be given onboard at the guest relations department. You will probably be asked to pay in advance full price I believe.

Edited by Cruise a holic