Ladies how is this possible? Using carry on only...

Halo19

Is packing light really about taking only a carry - on bag, or simply packing it all in one bag!

I always want to pack light, always attempt it and have gotten better over the years-no more of items in one bag and then then the same items in a similar bag (just in case). I think about forgetting the carry-on altogether and using only one checked bag (if my checked bag really doesn't show up...would it be the end of my world--so I'd have to buy some new clothes and shoes-they are only things-and this trip the shopping would begin in NYC :)).

I am seriously considering giving it a try for my upcoming trip. Most likely I will take a back pack this time as my carry-on which I can also throw my purse into so I only have one bag to...you got it....carry on.

Is packing light really about taking only a carry - on bag, or simply packing it all in one bag!

"Packing light" means different things to different people. To some it simply means 1 bag, to some it means carry-on only, to some it means a complete minimalist wardrobe etc. Some love the IDEA of packing light, but refuse to compromise and insist that for a 1 week cruise they NEED 3+ completely different outfits per day, can't possibly wear the same thing twice, and find the idea of laundry during vacation to be a deal breaker. To each his own.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to have a new bathing suit for every day of my vacation. I'm Hopeless! I've bought many a luggage scale, and promptly broke them! I envy the light packers.... I think you have the true meaning of freedom down pat. You go on ahead... I'll catch up.... when I catch my breath... if my arms don't fall off.... Weeze... cough.... :D

My extreme light packing experience (NOT a cruise) : A 10 day Galapagos Islands and Quito land trip with ONLY a high school size back pack (22 litres if I remember well - NOT a big backpack like most backpackers use) and a cross-body small travel purse. I will include the packing lists at the end of this post but let only say here that I even had my own towel!

I often pack light. Most cruises (6 to 10 days) are with a wheeled carry-on size bag only and I think I still look put together because I often get good comments about my cute dresses. I mostly bring dresses that can be dressed up for nice casual dinner or down for the days in port (I ll post a different thread about my dresses if you want to see what I am bringing).

About sunscreen : I bring only a 3oz size one to get me going and I buy a larger size at destination within a day or two. I can also fit small tubes of shampoo, body wash, face lotion, hand sanitizer, toothpaste + 2 mini packs of Tide laundry soap, lip gloss and mascara in the quart-size TSA compliant bag. I use hotel or ship shampoo and soap sometimes too. I even bring 4 types of medicines but only for two days each, I figure I could find more in that time-frame if needed. It is not in original packaging but I bring the sticker prescription with each folded in stretch-and-seal wrap and then in a small ziplock bag with other toilettery items (small toothbrush, razor, nail clipper, small hair brush).

As far as wearing clothes twice, I am perfectly fine with it (except for panties and socks of course, but those don t take up much room when packed in a ziploc bag with air removed by applying good pressure on it). Of course, I ll first wear it for dinner and later on during the day for an excursion (not the other way around).

For the person who mentionned restaurants smells. I get what you mean, it happens to me sometimes and I don t like it either but it happens mostly if I go to a small family restaurant or BBQ place where the cooking is really close to the seats. I have never had that problem on cruises where dining room are big and kitchen is far.

However, this time, I am going on a 14-night cruise out of Athens, I think I will take my medium-size checked luggage instead just because I feel like wearing a different dress every night. Or I may change my mind closer to departure, I ll see

But even then, I will rewear most of my casual dresses during the day after I have worn them for dinner paired with a shawl or cardignan and nicer jewellery to dress it up a little. I like dresses and skirts better than pants on warm-weather destinations. I NEVER, ever, bring jeans on a cruise but I will bring a pair of black pants in case it is cooler in some of the ports. I will also bring a pair of opaque tights to wear under the dresses for the same purpose.

If I have not bored you yet and you are curious about my backpack only packing list, here it is (from memory, I hope I don t forget anything) :

I was wearing for the flights (3 flights - 30 hours to get to my hotel):

- Light grey pants (convertible to shorts)

- Cute sleeveless black top

- Purple Merino wool lightweight zip-on sweater (LOVE that one)

- Undies and gray socks (brought a pair of lightweight panties and socks in a pocket of my backpack and changed those in between flights once after refreshing with moisturized wipes)

- Amphibian shoes (gray and purplish pink, great for walking on both land and rough sea bed)

Backpack contained:

*1 small packing cube with following clothes inside:

- 1 knee-lenght extra lightweight black dress

- 1 short lightweight skirt (gray)

- 1 pink lightweight t-shirt

- 1 black tank top

- 1 white tank top

- 1 short-sleeve pattern top (black, gray and purple)

- 1 sleeveless lighweight printed top (black with pink and beige print)

- 3 bras (2 sport lightly paded ones and a regular one - that s what takes up the most room IMHO. For those who can wear unpaded bras without looking weird like me, you can save room here)

- sheer wrap (gray, pink and black pattern)

- towel (extra light travel towel, about 4.25 feet x 2.5 feet but packs in 6 inch x 4 inch x .75 inch)

- waterproof socks (to waterproof my amphibian shoes in case of heavy rain)

- Foldable hat (black, I wish I had found a light grey one but I didn t)

- mini beige beach bag that I used much more than planned

*Cell phone charger with extra wire

* Mini flashlight

* Water bottle (in pocket made for this purpose outside the backpack)

* 1 ziploc bag for panties (x5, lightweight) and socks (x3 ankle lightweight)

* 1 ziploc bag for my dry toiletteries as listed above in this post

* 1 TSA compliant bag for liquid items listed above

* Lightweight breathable waterproof coat (light green and gray - I know the color doesn t fit so many of my other clothes well but I got a bargain and it is a really, really good gear worth 500$ with it s warm lining that I didnt bring since going south - I used it only once but I prefer to have it because rain could ruin my vacation otherwise and I wanted to enjoy the Galapagos no matter what)

Purse :

- Cell phone

- Passport

- Money and Cards (ID, credit card, etc.) - also had a money belt under my clothes with another sets of those for safety purposes (no double passport of course but when I arrived at last airport I switched it from purse to money belt as I was taking local transportation later on).

- Sunglasses

- lipstick

- small headphones for the flights

- pen

- post-it notes

- small pack of nuts (I don t feel well if I don t eat regularly so I m ready no matter what)

- cell phone external battery and wire

- Eye mask and ear plugs

I admit that I wear size small clothes. If you wear larger sizes, you might need a backpack slightly bigger (but not a huge one). Key is lightweight fabric and ziploc bags IMHO.

I usually pack light but for my next 14-night HAL cruise out of Athens I feel like wearing a different dress every night so it makes many dresses.

Of course, I ll also bring a few skirts and tops, 1 pair of shorts for the gym and one pair of pants in case it s cool in some of the ports (plus opaque tights to wear under dresses for the same purpose), underwear and a few pair of shoes (about 4-5 pairs usually, it s enough as you can see a color pattern to my dresses ;) It made me realise I should look for a green dress or something like that)

And, NO, you don t see double, when I like a garment I often purchase it in all colors that fit me. YES, there are 3 types of dresses you see in various colors and patterns... of course I leave a few days in between before to wear a sister-dress :D

1034640673_dreses2016.jpg.d070410c8523d2c07e204fbdd7ad9223.jpg

Edited by jp2001

I'm fluffy and I pack in a carry on.....I couldn't believe what we were bringing home that was clean from cruising/traveling. I gave packing lighter a try and never went back to schlepping bags again through airports! I love so many of the replies that are here. The other reason this works for us is that I know where my stuff is....with *me*. We have had lost/misplaced luggage a number of times and once it's happened to you, I think you change your view, especially when you don't ever see your items ever again! I have become a master at packing just what we need. There are no more fashion meltdowns for me because I know what and how I'm wearing it and when we come home it's only 3 to 4 loads of laundry, depending on what we've taken with us. I've taken a lot of good suggestions that I've found here and elsewhere about my toiletries items and I almost don't need the personal item/bag. I usually use Jon Holloway's bundle method from packing light.com which works wonderful.

Lighter packing is not for everyone and I certainly can appreciate that....I'm just at the point in life that there is only so much I need. The only person I'm taking care of (besides my hubby!) is myself. I like being able to manage and not feel overwhelmed!

Edited by islandgirlejfan

When I go on a trip where I have to unpack more than once, I’ll use packing cubes and try to keep outfits together. But when I am going on a cruise, where I have to unpack only once, I use the BUNDLE packing method. You truly can get many more clothes in your carryon – or suitcase – with this method. Once I finish with the bundle (using underwear and bathing suits in a packing cube as the core), I lay it atop my many pairs of shoes which are the first things to go in the suitcase. Another advantage of bundle wrapping is that your clothes stay almost wrinkle free. I use a large tote or small backpack for my cosmetics and electronics. That way, I can bring both aboard and I don't have to wait for my luggage to arrive at my stateroom. To see what bundle wrapping is, Google it or copy this link:

http://www.today.com/home/how-pack-pro-bundle-wrapping-means-no-wrinkles-no-fuss-1D80318978

I usually pack light but for my next 14-night HAL cruise out of Athens I feel like wearing a different dress every night so it makes many dresses.

Of course, I ll also bring a few skirts and tops, 1 pair of shorts for the gym and one pair of pants in case it s cool in some of the ports (plus opaque tights to wear under dresses for the same purpose), underwear and a few pair of shoes (about 4-5 pairs usually, it s enough as you can see a color pattern to my dresses ;) It made me realise I should look for a green dress or something like that)

And, NO, you don t see double, when I like a garment I often purchase it in all colors that fit me. YES, there are 3 types of dresses you see in various colors and patterns... of course I leave a few days in between before to wear a sister-dress :D

There is nothing wrong with not packing in a carry-on sized bag. If want to bring 14 dresses, go for it. As long as you are comfortable with the size of luggage you need and are confident you can manage your luggage during your trip, go for it.

As I've said before, I travel solo and I need to be able to be responsible for handling my own bags. I pack so that I will be able to walk distances with my bags, lift bags into a train or bus, lift bags into the overhead of the train, have my bags fit into any Uber or taxi (ever get a Yaris as your Uber??? :eek: ) And, I have never felt the need to bring something different for every day. I've been obese, I'm more regular sizing now, and either case did not make it more or less difficult to pack small.

Pack for what makes you happy. I'm happy packing my way. I don't feel less fashionable than the next person. I am not a slob because I may wear something more than once.

Very sorry OP, I meant to post my 14 dresses as a new thread, not a reply to this one.

Pack for what makes you happy. I'm happy packing my way. I don't feel less fashionable than the next person. I am not a slob because I may wear something more than once.

Of course, I don t think you are a slob in anyway. I am the same person who posted she did a 10-day Galapagos vacation with just a normal size backpack ;)

I just meant sometimes I feel like packing light, sometimes I want a different dress every night. This will all fit in a medium suitcase.

If I was doing Europe tour prior to the cruise, I would probably just take a wheeled carry-on (with or without a backpack). And I can always manage my own lugage, and this time I will also help my roomate with hers :)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, if you are flying in for a cruise, how can you just take a carry on? You would be limited to one quart sized back for anything of liquidish state...toothpaste, lotion, moisturizer, make up. I don't see especially how a female who would like to take care of her appearance can do this.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, if you are flying in for a cruise, how can you just take a carry on? You would be limited to one quart sized back for anything of liquidish state...toothpaste, lotion, moisturizer, make up. I don't see especially how a female who would like to take care of her appearance can do this.

I take care of my appearance just fine. It's called travel size.

Let's talk luggage. Go with a 21-22 inch roll aboard. That will make it on to nearly every airline as long as you don't overpack. Worst case is you might have to gate check, but probably no additional charge. Next, consider a backpack for your second piece. it is amazing what you can put into a backpack. I'm not talking about the backpack you use to haul you computer in to work every day, I am talking about one designed to handle at least a weekend of traveling. Ebags has some really nice size ones. Packing cubes help keep everything organized in a backpack. Just be careful to put the heavy stuff in the roll aboard. The backpack can sit on top of the roll aboard so you don't have to carry it. I have never had a problem getting on the plane with this combination. My DH and I routinely do 2 weeks with 2 roll aboard and 2 backpacks.

Its reworking your beauty routine. Don't need all your makeup. Just bring what you need. Don't need every color when a small combo palette will do.

Don't bring full size anything. If things don't come in travel size, make your own. Reuse eyedrop bottles and contact lens cases for small liquids. Do a test run ahead of time. For me, I know that I can get 42 uses of Argan Oil out of a 10 ml eyedrop bottle. Each side of a contact lens case will hold 10 days worth of hair gel or hair cement. A 3oz bottle of shampoo is more than enough for a two week cruise.

I buy other containers at camping stores; REI and Bass Pro. Also at Daiso, a Japanese dollar store that's expanding in our area.

Collect samples from your favorite counters.

Look at http://www.minimus.biz, they only carry travel sizes.

https://ladylighttravel.com/2012/07/31/travel-makeup-for-carry-on/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

No one says you MUST carry on your carryon-size bag. Many times I will check my 22" bag just because I'm on a TATL with a connection and I don't want to be bothered with it. But, I'll still use that 22" bag because I'll be doing more than just that flight and need to be light and nimble.

I take my toiletries just fine and I take quite good care of my appearance, thank you. I just had someone at work tell me they thought I was 15 years younger than I actually am ;) I don't do make up outside of eyeliner and a single shade of eye shadow and a mascara and those don't need to go in the Kippie bag. Moisturizer easily fits in my bag. No need for special lotion - I'll use what is in the hotel room or cabin. The travel size toothpaste works fine for a week and I can fit 2 in the bag. I never thought of using contact lens cases as liquids containers until I heard about it here!! Used it to transport my eye makeup remover this Spring. I'll grab travel-sizes of my hair products at Sephora. Once I'm on the road, I've found the wonderful places called stores where I can pick up anything that I didn't pack. Sephora Barcelona, Sephora Rome, Lush Rome, Lush Naples, Lush Venice, Lush Genoa, Lush Barcelona, regular pharmacies, department stores... :p

Edited by slidergirl

Lots of odd tips on the Internet, especially on the one bag/ no bag / backpacking sites.

Saturate cotton balls just enough that they're wet and no more. They're no longer considered liquid.

Toothpaste tabs (can make your own)

Crystal deodorant

Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well, of course it would depend on how long the cruise is. :D But I've traveled to cruises and also to Europe on land trips for 10-14 days with just a carry-on and 3-1-1 bag. Full disclosure: on most trips I do not bring separate sunscreen as I am not one that spends time sitting in the sun. And like others have said, it's possible to buy most anything one might need at a store at your destination or at a port along the way.

What goes into the bag:

Laura Mercier Tinted moisturizer (what I use instead of foundation) travel size purchased from Sephora: http://www.sephora.com/tinted-moisturizer-broad-spectrum-P109936?skuId=1287234&icid2=travel_size_makeup_us_sku_grid:p109936

Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer (decanted into small size travel bottle). I use it day and night when traveling although I use a heavier night cream occasionally when I am "at home".

One travel-size tube of Kiehl's intensive hand salve -- great for tired, dry hands AND feet: https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Strength-Hand-Salve-Travel/dp/B004T6IDH8

Toothpaste -- you can buy a size larger than the small "sample" sizes, about 2.5 to 2.8 oz depending on the specific brand

One tube of an intensive hair conditioner -- I vary the amount depending on what I put my hair through, but a little dab goes a long way. I've found I can use most any shampoo as long as I use this conditioner.

I also usually carry some very small tube of product like this for styling my hair. Note the tube is less than 1 oz and the one I have now has lasted for 2 trips with some still left: http://www.fishpond.com/Beauty/John-Frieda-Frizz-Ease-Beyond-Smooth-Primer-Travel-Size-20ml/0717226215230

One very slim tube of this liquid eyeliner -- http://www.ulta.com/eye-booster-2-in-1-lash-boosting-eyeliner-serum?productId=xlsImpprod3030017&sku=2224202&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=pla-121632225390&CAAGID=17983616910&CAWELAID=778673777&catargetid=330000200000332054&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxqS-BRDRgPLp0q2t0IUBEiQAgfMXRMrC-bZ0B4Dn5-azHxvBDNKCoel0mg_cHRQWsEk_N28aAvq88P8HAQ If you use a pencil, that doesn't need to go in your bag

A tiny bottle of eyedrops (mostly used after a long flight or in case of some irritation like sand in my eye...)

Even with the above, there's usually a bit more room in case I have a sudden whim to bring something else along -- like a small rollerball bottle of my favorite perfume, such as this: http://www.ulta.com/light-blue-eau-de-toilette-rollerball?productId=xlsImpprod4920073&sku=2253338&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=pla-97502082322&CAAGID=25472050830&CAWELAID=1718357609&catargetid=330000200000780853&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxqS-BRDRgPLp0q2t0IUBEiQAgfMXRNuDEUwrEkhmlv7bDeq9omPhaNOA6eAiK3G8L8u6JSgaAmnh8P8HAQ

What doesn't go in it:

Solid deodorant - packed separately

Solid eyeshadows (I only pack 3, all Laura Mercier that can be applied sparingly for day or more liberally for a dressier look)

Mascara, solid tinted lip balms -- have never put them into my 3-1-1 bag and has always passed muster at security. Solid lipstick is also fine, but I don't use it.

Shampoo/Soap/Shower gel/Basic lotion -- I use what's available or buy some at destination if needed

Make-up remover wipes (travel size pack), the kind you wet and use.

I read an article several years ago with beauty tips from a French fashion editor, one of which stayed with me -- she said most Americans tend to use far too much product. You don't need to slather your face with creams, lotions, etc. Same is true of shampoo, even toothpaste. If you read the directions, most times they say you need a very small amount. ;)

You can buy your cosmetic lotions and potions 'airside' and then their is no problem. I'm travelling tomorrow to Portugal and have already pre-ordered liquid baby food and sun cream to be picked up at the pharmacy airside at London Luton. Already paid for just go to check out to collect. Simples!

You can buy your cosmetic lotions and potions 'airside' and then their is no problem.

Not sure that's an option for many American airports, but a nice idea. But you won't have to go through security again on the way to Portugal. When I fly to Portugal in 2 weeks, I'll have to go through passport control AND security when I transit Paris. No liquids, same as TSA in the US, so....

Availability to buy what you need upon arrival REALLY depends on where you're traveling. Not everyone sticks to the Caribbean or western Europe;)

I'm sure there are all sorts of methods ladies have and just reading through some of the responses here gave me a few more ideas for things. I get small tubes of toothpaste, Crystal deodorant comes in either rock form or their towelettes which are one use and then throw away. I have sunscreen that is in a small pouches. I especially love these because I personally find sunscreen messy....truthfully I prefer the spray and usually get a small one before leaving FLL. The best tip I've ever gotten from a travel website was using contact lens cases for make up. Works like a charm! What's really nice is I don't have to worry if I break a lid of an expensive potion about trying to get it home (and I've done that in the past). I have just what I will require for the week. When I return home, I wash out the contact case for the next cruise.

Edited by islandgirlejfan

If anyone wants to try to eliminate some of their liquids, I will suggest taking a look at the Lush website or heading to a local Lush store (Lush is popping up in a lot of malls now).

I've used their solid shampoo bars for probably 15 years or so. Multiple choices based on your hair/scalp. I've used Karma Koomba and Godiva for years. There is a new one now, Avocado co-wash, that I want to try. I have used these as my regular at-home shampoo, not just as a travel alternative. They now have several solid conditioner bars too.

They've also come out with tooth powder and tooth tablets - alternatives to toothpaste. I haven't tried them, but thought I'd throw it out there.

One thing to do is not take the entire medicine cabinet. Instead of day cream and night cream, pack one. The other and use for both. Find products which are concentrated where a small bottle or jar will last a longer time. Instead of liquid makeup remover, use wipes. I can go a month in a quart sized ziplock, and "take care of my appearance" despite what lori_leanne might think. The only thing I need to buy locally when I arrive if I am going for more than a couple weeks is a can of hairspray.

I haven't read all the replies but I've done 10 days in Turkey with no chances to do laundry & multiple cities. I also did 3 weeks in Europe with access to laundry on the cruise ship. Here's how I do it:

-Pick a color scheme. For me, I only pack black, gray, purple, pink, & orange. Everything goes with everything & I don't end up with 'orphans' that can't be worn with anything else.

-1 pair of jeans, that I wear on the plane. Everything else is leggings, skirts & stretchy pants.

-3 pairs of shoes: Comfortable calf-high boots, black walking shoes & a pair of black strappy sandals.

-I pretty much wear the same thing every time on the plane: Black tunic sweater, skinny jeans & my calf high boots. Yes, they're a slight PITA to take off in security but I don't have to add their weight to my carry-on.

-I pack 5-7 tops/tunics & 5-7 bottoms plus 1-2 dresses. Again, everything goes with everything.

-For nice dresses, I love this vendor called 'Nuichan' on etsy. She makes nice, long dresses that pack really well. I literally rolled them up in a ball & tossed them in & when I got to the ship they hung up with nary a wrinkle.

-AFA makeup, I have the Urban Decay NAKED on the Go palette & that with a mascara sample, some brushes & a few other items (foundation, setting powder) give me enough to do my face every day. I keep my makeup really simple so I don't feel the need for a lot.

-For skin care, lots of samples. I'm a Sephora VIB so I get lots of samples when I order every month. I just toss them in & I'm good to go.

So, my carry-on suitcase normally contains:

* 5-7 tops/tunics

* 5-7 bottoms (leggings, stretchy pants, skirts or jumpsuits)

*7 pairs of underwear (& yes, I do the 'old to toss out' trick)

*4 bras, 2 padded & 2 not

*4-5 pairs of socks to wear with my boots

* 1-2 pairs of PJs

*2 pairs of shoes (wearing boots)

*A few scarves, necklaces and lightweight wraps

*Makeup & non-liquid toiletries

I also carry a 'personal item' as a oversized purse. It has my travel day bag, liquids, Kindle, medications & other personal items I don't want to take a chance on going into the belly of the plane.

We do tend to take 1 checked bag to toss our coats into. We live in the Southern US so when we travel to Northern Europe we need a coat but don't need it in the airport where its 100+ degrees. It also gives us room for purchases on the way home. We could probably do without it if needed but since we just have carry-on bags, that one extra bag isn't bad to handle.

This sounds exactly right to me.

Just going to comment on the make-up: When I'm at the beach and have "fresh sun" on my face, I use make-up differently, so I don't bring everything I have at home. I agree that a mascara sample is perfect; Clinique does their bag-full-of-stuff twice a year -- once in the spring and once in August -- and those bags always include a small mascara sample. I usually bring my oldest eye shadow and oldest eye liner on the cruise ... and abandon them at the end along with my toiletries. I bring just a little bit of foundation in a sample container from the Clinique counter (you could do the same thing with a contact lens container).

Aside from lotion and sunscreen (and I haven't figured out how to reduce those), ALL my toiletries only require about as much space as one pair of my husband's socks.

Mail a package to yourself at your night-before hotel. This assures that you'll have your favorite brands and you won't need to spend any time shopping upon arrival.

For me, I know that I can get 42 uses of Argan Oil out of a 10 ml eyedrop bottle. Each side of a contact lens case will hold 10 days worth of hair gel or hair cement. A 3oz bottle of shampoo is more than enough for a two week cruise.

A note on eyedrops, not necessarily limited to packing: I use two prescription eyedrops every day, and one of them costs $40/small bottle (it's actually more of a thicker eye drop/gel). Ouch. I mean "ouch" to the price; the drops actually feel cool and refreshing. I thought I'd try to use up every single drop, so I turned the bottle upside down between uses to allow every drop to drip to the tip (I rest it upside down in a plastic circle that used to be inside a roll of washi tape ... I expected to get perhaps an extra two days of eye drops ... no, I average TEN EXTRA DAYS of use by keeping the eyedrops upside down once the bottle starts to "fizzle". At $40/small bottle, this matters!

Similarly, I love the nice smelling Bath & Bodyworks lotion-in-a-tube, and when it's almost gone, I always cut off the tube as scoop out the last bit. This is a bit of a pain, so I wouldn't do it on a cruise -- but you get the point.

I also agree with you about "testing" your usage ahead of time. I know I use more than 3 oz of shampoo in a typical cruise, but I have long hair.

If anyone wants to try to eliminate some of their liquids, I will suggest taking a look at the Lush website or heading to a local Lush store (Lush is popping up in a lot of malls now).

I've been interested in this for a while, but the products are so expensive! How long does a "ball of shampoo" last?

One thing to do is not take the entire medicine cabinet. Instead of day cream and night cream, pack one. The other and use for both. Find products which are concentrated where a small bottle or jar will last a longer time. Instead of liquid makeup remover, use wipes. I can go a month in a quart sized ziplock, and "take care of my appearance" despite what lori_leanne might think. The only thing I need to buy locally when I arrive if I am going for more than a couple weeks is a can of hairspray.

I store my OTC meds in a SuMTuWThFSa container. Perhaps asprin in two holes, a few sinus pills in another ... and I write in fine-point Sharpie: Sudafed, 2 every 4. You can buy these containers for .06/no shipping on ebay, and they're a huge space saver. I buy bandaids infused with Neosporin. As someone else commented, yes, I soak cotton balls in make-up remover.

I've been interested in this for a while, but the products are so expensive! How long does a "ball of shampoo" last?

I store my OTC meds in a SuMTuWThFSa container. Perhaps asprin in two holes, a few sinus pills in another ... and I write in fine-point Sharpie: Sudafed, 2 every 4. You can buy these containers for .06/no shipping on ebay, and they're a huge space saver. I buy bandaids infused with Neosporin. As someone else commented, yes, I soak cotton balls in make-up remover.

The solid shampoos are a disk, not really a ball (the balls are their bath bombs). For me, they last just as long as 2 full-size bottles of shampoo. All you do is to wet the bar, then run it through the full length of your hair 3-4 times. They sell a nice metal container to put your shampoo in. If you buy a massage bar, they have one for that, too - they make nice lotion alternatives.

Before a vacation, a trip to the local Sephora store is always done. They have a HUGE selection of travel-size lotions, potions, cosmetics, etc. And, Lush is hit up if I'm running low on some of their items.