Ladies how is this possible? Using carry on only...

Halo19

Hi Halo 19

You must remember that although some people have given you great ideas. We are only allowed a 20lb limit for Carry on & up to a certain dimensions plus they weigh it. So we would never be allowed to take everything that the US allows.

While Porter Airlines allows only 20 lbs, Air Canada allows 22 lbs and WestJet has no weight limit other than being light enough to lift and place in overhead bins. One of the reasons we fly with WestJet. :)

No way could I pack with only a "carry-on"...unless it was a 36 inch suitcase! I have no desire to even try!

Yes..you can wear things more than once. Yes...swimsuits/shorts are the outfit of the day!

BTW, 3oz of sunscreen is only 3 applications...no where NEAR enough for even a 3 day trip!

I'm with you.

It is vacation and I want to have lots of choices in what to wear. I want to bring sunscreen and other toiletries from home rather than pay the ridiculously high prices on the ships. I have a credit card from the airline that has a hub in our city so I can always check a bag for free if we have to fly to a cruise. Or, we fly Southwest and we can each check 2 bags for free.

Having to live out of a carry on bag would definitely crimp my style and be stressful. Having my stuff with me makes vacation more relaxing.

Except for our July 2017 cruise that is 7 days, I pack more for a two week cruise even though I probably could get by with the same clothes that I pack for 7 but I prefer more variety so it ends up being the carry on plus my 25 " I do have a satchel bag that counts as my purse and in that I carry things I want with me for the plane and boarding the ship.

My limit for a cruise with only carry on's is four days. I do like to dress for dinner, not trying to impress just like dressing up a little. Short cruises usually don't include snorkel stops either which is a third of a big suitcase.

For land travel I can pack much less. Jeans, shorts or casual dresses don't take up much room. I take fewer shoes and usually wear the same outfit all day. If I don't feel it's dirty I can wear it again since you don't see the same people on a land vacation. We are taking a land trip for 8 nights coming up with just carry on's.

So to the op....I would have to invest in totally different clothes to do a cruise that long with carry on's. ( Things to mix and match) So I wouldn't save any money. But it would be great to not have to wrangle bags or worry about them getting lost.

And to those who say no one notices what you wear on a cruise I think most men don't but other women do. Just being honest. I wouldn't think you were bad rewearing an outfit to dinner but I would notice.

Edited by cruiselvr04

After you rinse out or wash your bathing suit, roll it in a clean, dry towel to get out all the excess water. That will cut your drying time down a lot.

That's a great tip, thank you! I always bring Woolite to do midweek washing of suits and items that I like to wear multiple times (like comfy shorts). Waiting for everything to dry is always a pain. This will help a lot!

I admire people who carry on what they are wearing on a cruise. I take a bigger suitcase and a small one for a 7-9 day cruise and I wear most things twice. I usually send something every other day to be washed by the cruise line, if something gets something spilled on it, or just too dirty/sweaty from an excursion. This is a vacation for me and this is part of the cost. :) The only thing I rinse out is my swim suit after snorkeling. I do the roll it in a towel trick to speed up drying.

I wear tennis shoes on the plane and take a pair of dress shoes, sandals and casual sandals. I take water shoes, also.

I take less for a land vacation where there are options for laundry.

I admire people who carry on a small amount of luggage. I take what I think will make me happy to wear each day since this is my vacation, and I know I cannot easily walk on the ship with it.

I over pack. I take pretty much everything but the kitchen sink with me.

We go on 7 night cruises and I told myself I would try for just a carry on this time around (help save a little money.. we are Canadian, and easier to travel with smaller luggage) but then we went and booked a 9 night.

Has anyone done it on a 9 night? Do you wear something twice? 3 times? Are you in a bathing suit during the day? Or what you wear during the day, is that what you wear to dinner also?

My problem is I like to have choices. And I wear one thing out on excursions, then change and dress a little nicer for dinner and then change after dinner to jeans/hoodie because I find the ships so cold!

My boyfriend didn't think I could do it for a 7 night and definitely doesn't think I can for a 9 night. I think he may be right lol

I traveled internationally for extended periods when working using only a 22" carry-on and could live out of it indefinitely. Now being retired and don't need to carry business essentials I travel only a 18" roll-on carryon and small tote that doubles as a purse. Yes I am a woman. My friends have described my packing in an 18" carryon similar to that of the circus act where 100 clowns are packed into a Volkswagon Bug.

I thought I was a great packer when I get my suit case down to 49 pounds.

But I always pack for the "what-ifs"

Medicine, prescription and over the counter.

Flashllights

extra sneakers

extra underwear

couple bathing suits

Life boat (just kidding)

So three adults, three large suitcases sent thru

Three carryons, two purses and one camera bag.

Yup were tourist.

Enjoy we do

I need my clothes. I want choices and I skeeve at the thought of wearing something more than once in the Caribbean. Plus I'm not one to wear pants on a cruise I want pretty dresses. Lol I'll stick with my 2-3 suitcases:D

I like choices and not bland ones. Jmho

My thing is toiletries. I have travel size for all of my facial products. I thought you were limited to how many you could put in the quart size bags. Or how many of those bags you can carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name=cb at sea;50508537

BTW' date=' 3oz of sunscreen is only 3 applications...no where NEAR enough for even a 3 day trip![/quote]

Thank you! First time anyone has ever agreed with me on the sunscreen! As I said in my original post, not everyone has a car available to go shopping on arrival, or in some cases time. I always fly in night before and have shopped on 17th Street when staying at Embassy Suites in FLL, but don't always stay in an area with shops available.

Yeah, not too impressed with the video. Her techniques for folding & loading clothes into the suitcase were spot-on, BUT ...

No way does the suitcase fit under a seat, it goes in the overhead bin and is a perfect example of why they fill up so fast. It looks like it would have to go in sideways.

She was going on a short business trip, so her packing doesn't really apply to cruising, where you may need more different types of clothing for different activities. Plus if you're on a longer trip you may need more toiletries. She also didn't have a camera or e-book reader or other tablet. No meds, either.

We usually have one checked bag each, and one carry-on, plus I have an oversized purse & Mr Chew has a briefcase. That's for anywhere from 7 days to 7 weeks! We use the ship's laundry for almost everything except for my good tops.

Edited by Lady Chew

We have done total carry on for a three week vacations in warm climates. We have not done it for a cruise yet. We will be traveling in Europe in 2017 for apx a month which will include travel by air, riverboat and rail followed by a two week cruise. Our goal is to travel with carry on for this trip since it will involve at least two air transfers going to Europe followed by a travel by rail. We do not want to carry more than we can handle with shlepping the luggage around on and off the train. We also would like to end up with our luggage. I have a number of Chico tops and black traveler clothes that work for cruising that I can dress up with scarves and jewelry. Those will work for formal nights if we choose to attend. Jeans will be the dress during the day. So hoping a couple of pairs of jeans and a number of colored tops to wear with them and a light weight waterproof jacket will work. I do not mind wearing the same clothes several times and having to wash them in a ships sink. I really do not think anyone else's cares or pays very close attention. When I see a woman who has worn the same clothes and changed out the jewelry or top I admire her and view her as a well traveled woman with travel smarts. I want to be like her.

I tend to travel a little heavier than my DH so I figure he can hold a few of my things if necessary.:). On our last Baltic Cruise our luggage did not make it back to the states for several days as it got caught in a baggage snarl at Heathrow in London. Really glad that did not happen at the start of our trip. This event is what has gotten us to re think as we have a number of transfers.

I overpack, and will until the day I die. I'm retired, live alone, and don't go out much. So when I cruise, I love to dress up. Maybe it goes back to when I first started cruising in 1980 on Sitmar. Everybody was always dressed.

To each their own...I'm a senior citizen fashionista and proud (LOL)

Edited by crzndeb

Do a thread search 'packing light'. Lots of threads pop up. Another term to search for is 'mix'

Here's a thread to get you started....

Packing help needed!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345093

Look at theviviennefiles.com and ladylighttravel.com for ideas to pack lighter.

Edited by SadieN

You could use a space bag in it. I would suggest only 2 bathing suits and maybe 1 hoodie and 2 jeans for your after dinner attire and just rotate between them. If you really want choices and feel the need to have 3 outfits plus bathing suits I would suggest super light items but I think if you are determined you will find you could use a lot less clothing than what you bring. Also, look for smaller sizes or less skincare, makeup, hygiene products to bring with so they don't take up as much room, same with medications if there are any you take.

My desire to use smaller luggage is because my regular suitcase, when full, is getting to be too heavy for me as I get older :o. I figure if I can learn to pack light in a smaller suitcase it will be more manageable. One day I will manage it :p

My thing is toiletries. I have travel size for all of my facial products. I thought you were limited to how many you could put in the quart size bags. Or how many of those bags you can carry on.

While the video is interesting and might offer some tips, the "wet" bag for toiletries is clearly not quart size. It's gallon size.

Also, I didn't see a cell phone or pad of any sort. Passengers are typically limited to two carry-ons. One smaller personal item and one other larger (such as the rolling bag). I guess she does not need a purse (other than the pretty clutches she packed) or computer bag.

Sigh. I am so tired of over packers telling me that, because I can easily pack for a trip of 21 days in one 22"x14"x9" bag plus a daypack that I must dress bland or like a slob and have poor hygiene... ;) Allow me to namedrop: if what I pack in my carryon is good enough to wear to dinner with Prince Albert of Monaco, it's good enough for the faux formal night on a cruise ship with a bunch of people trying to recreate the First Class dining room of the 1960s...

The fully legal 22x14x9 bag does indeed not fit under the airplane seat; it does not have to. That is what the overhead is for. The second bag is what MUST fit under the seat. And, if someone doesn't overstuff the bag and has an once of intelligence, the first bag DOES fit lengthwise in the overhead. i was on a 737-900 this week (on Delta) and it has specially-designed overheads to fit bags and there were still some idiots who didn't bother to even try to put their bags in lengthwise, just hogged the bin with their sideways positioning.

Plus, just because I pack in a legal carryon does NOT mean I must carryon. There are many times where I will just valet the bag and pick it back up plane side (to eliminate having to find a spot onboard) or, if I have a long connection time, I'll actually check the bag so I don't have to walk around with the bag.

Regarding sunscreen: If I do not have room for my full-size sunscreen or do not plan on checking my carryon, I fully plan to buy onboard or at a local store. The extra few dollars spent are not a big deal to me.

I was not impressed with that video either. I never tell people how to

pack or how much to pack.

I also want to say there is no way her carry on bag is going to fit under

the seat in front of her:eek:.it looks like the size of something that would

have to go above the seat.

I pack the same way (unless I am going on a 3/4 night cruise)....but

for a week or longer, I bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on bag.

For weekend/short cruises, then I do take a carry on and a tote bag.

For those people who do not want to check a bag, then do what makes

you happy and don't check it.:) And for those who want to check a bag,

(me included) then check it and be happy too:)

Do what is best for YOU.....that is all that matters (in my opinion).

It's not so much what you bring, but how you pack it. I can fit 12 days worth of clothes in my Louis Vuitton Keepall 55 if I roll them.

I generally pack enough day clothes so I repeat 50% of my outfits, 2 dresses for gala/formal nights, 2 dresses for regular nights, and 2 workout outfits. I bring 2 bras and enough tights, pantyhose, and panties for 50% of the trip. I hand wash in the sink as needed.

For shoes, I wear my heaviest pair (usually knee-high boots or Swedish Hasbeens), and pack one pair for dinner (Loubis) and a pair of ballerina flats. I stick to Pilates/yoga/ Tracy Anderson workouts so I can manage without having to pack a pair of trainers.

I decant my beauty products into travel size containers, use travel size styling products, and pack a curling iron.

I use this same basic technique for all of my travels.

As someone who is still learning how not to overpack, the key question in my mind is: how many times are you wearing stuff before it is washed?

Unfortunately I am very aware of stuff like restaurant smells on my clothes.

I've gotten the hang of hand-washing things and buying fast-drying fabrics (no laundry facility on NCL, for example), but it does mean I'm spending X amount of time on my "vacation" hand-washing clothes.

I tend to bring two shirts for every pair of shorts, so the shorts are worn twice. I try to make sure that the "first wear" is a sweat-free activity such as going to breakfast, and when the shorts are on their "last wear", I'll wear them off the ship for an excursion, where they're going to get sweaty.

If I've worn something for a couple hours -- again, to breakfast or to an evening show -- I'll hang it up /air it out so I can wear it again the next day for another couple hours. If I've worn it all day, it's done.

Yes, I often hand-wash shirts. I lean towards gauzy, thin shirts that take no effort to wash and dry quickly. We're talking perhaps 15 minutes out of a whole vacation.

For some reason, my 25" suitcase is half full of "stuff" before I even start putting clothes in :p...so it's the "stuff" that I have to cut out :o

Yes, clothing takes up little space compared to "stuff". The good news is that most of it isn't necessary -- or even advisable.

I need my clothes. I want choices and I skeeve at the thought of wearing something more than once in the Caribbean. Plus I'm not one to wear pants on a cruise I want pretty dresses. Lol I'll stick with my 2-3 suitcases:D

I like choices and not bland ones. Jmho

Dresses take up less space than pants, and light packers have choices -- they just make those choices at home.

As for bland, why would you buy bland clothes in the first place?

Regarding sunscreen: If I do not have room for my full-size sunscreen or do not plan on checking my carryon, I fully plan to buy onboard or at a local store. The extra few dollars spent are not a big deal to me.

Best choice: Order your sunscreen (and other items) from Amazon and have the package mailed to your night-before hotel. Low prices plus no hassles with the airlines.

Edited by MrsPete

Traveling in a carry on is easy to do. The question is if that is the style of your cruising? I have cruised in a carry on only but I found I liked to have more variety. I also like to bring things home from trips including items that are liquid so I pack bring a checked bag. I haven't meet any heads of state but I am satisfied with my style of cruising.

Shak

I would like it if the carry-on only types would not call someone who checks a bag an overpacker. I am a packer, and it's no skin off anyone else's nose if I check a bag. You might be willing to pay for sunscreen; I am willing to pay for a checked bag.

Neither approach makes a person better. :rolleyes:

I would like it if the carry-on only types would not call someone who checks a bag an overpacker. I am a packer, and it's no skin off anyone else's nose if I check a bag. You might be willing to pay for sunscreen; I am willing to pay for a checked bag.

Neither approach makes a person better. :rolleyes:

People on here have self-identified...;) And, if you were referring to me, did you not see the winky face??? Some people :roll eyes: ;)

I'd rather pay $25 for bottle of overpriced sunscreen onboard (if I can't get it before I board) than pay for a checked bag fee if I am not flying my usual airline... (I get 1 bag free on my airline of choice)