Ladies how is this possible? Using carry on only...

Halo19

Overpacker, underpacker, what does it matter if you can manage it?

All too often these threads start with someone asking a question about how to manage packing light, such as in a carry-on. Unfortunately, those who like to bring it all feel duty-bound to jump in and tell us all why they could NEVER pack light, with very clear undertones of the kind slidergirl mentions. I've seen it many, many times. Somehow, if we speak up and say something about it, WE (the underpackers) are seen as the defensive ones. Oh well.

I don't usually post on these types of discussions any more -- just not worth it. But since I'm here now, I'll just say that I enjoy packing light and that if I didn't I would be very limited in my ability to travel on my own through many countries outside the US. Places where porters are not magically available and trains have very little storage space for a large bag.

Cruises are nice and all, but not my only form of travel. And while I do enjoy looking presentable and appropriate, I don't really get any sense of enjoyment out of 'dressing up'.

I think people on the internet these days are too quick to assume someone expressing their opinion = also passing judgement on alternate opinions.

After I've been in a restaurant, the smell of food clings on my clothes and it drives me nuts. Thus, some of my re-wear options are limited.

Now, if you read the above statement and think it has anything to do with you personally, I assure you that's something that is happening in your head, not mine.

Edited by AdoraBelle

As someone who is still learning how not to overpack, the key question in my mind is: how many times are you wearing stuff before it is washed?

Unfortunately I am very aware of stuff like restaurant smells on my clothes.

I've gotten the hang of hand-washing things and buying fast-drying fabrics (no laundry facility on NCL, for example), but it does mean I'm spending X amount of time on my "vacation" hand-washing clothes.

I would rather spend those 5 minutes every couple of days washing clothes than watch the baggage carousel for 30 minutes or more - that's also time out of my vacation.:)

I had to bully DH into becoming a carryon packer - he's a stoic, so I'm not sure whether he's a fan or not. We have a trip to Europe next month that will including flying there, multiple train trips and another intra-Europe flight before we arrive at our cruise destination. My goal is to pack everything into my Ebags Motherlode 21" bag and an accompanying tote bag. I'm still working on cutting down my "stuff" - the clothing is the least of my worries.

I agree that Dr. T's suitcase would not fit under any seat, but it looks like a standard 22" carryon that, on many aircraft, would easily go in wheels first. And her garment packing didn't look all that efficient to me, but I'm a bundle gal.;)

I would rather spend those 5 minutes every couple of days washing clothes than watch the baggage carousel for 30 minutes or more - that's also time out of my vacation.:)

I had to bully DH into becoming a carryon packer - he's a stoic, so I'm not sure whether he's a fan or not. We have a trip to Europe next month that will including flying there, multiple train trips and another intra-Europe flight before we arrive at our cruise destination. My goal is to pack everything into my Ebags Motherlode 21" bag and an accompanying tote bag. I'm still working on cutting down my "stuff" - the clothing is the least of my worries.

I agree that Dr. T's suitcase would not fit under any seat, but it looks like a standard 22" carryon that, on many aircraft, would easily go in wheels first. And her garment packing didn't look all that efficient to me, but I'm a bundle gal.;)

You will love that Motherlode on your trip! I've got that one and the 19"er. Just used the 19"er for my little 4 day trip - I had space left over after packing: 1 bathing suit with rash guard, 1 skirt, 2 pair shorts, 7 shirts (110 degree heat!!), running clothes, running hat, 3 socks (for running), 2 undies and 1 extra bra, sandals, toiletries bag, long-sleeved hoodie shirt and long pants that I wore to/from airport (in the 40s when I drove to the airport). I use the packing cubes in my Motherlodes to be sure the weight is distributed (in case I use the backpack straps) and every corner is used. Plus, if it is not packed full, the cubes keep everything from shifting down to the ends!

Edited by slidergirl

I posted earlier that we would really like to travel which includes two cruises, trains and two plane changes on our way to our cruise in carry on luggage. I don't know if anyone has managed to not arrive at their disembarkation port without their luggage. This is my fear. We have not packed this way for a cruise yet but we are up to the challenge. We are really starting to do some thinking on what would we do if our luggage did not show up with us. We have taken that risk and we have been lucky but we did not have three planes to deal with. Like I said in my original post was our luggage did not make it back from Europe for three days. At least that happened at the end and not in the beginning!

I am all for anyone giving me tips and hearing the stories of those that have successfully cruised for several weeks with roll aboard luggage that will fit in the overhead. We will also be limited to twenty two pounds which will make it much easier for train travel.

I posted earlier that we would really like to travel which includes two cruises, trains and two plane changes on our way to our cruise in carry on luggage. I don't know if anyone has managed to not arrive at their disembarkation port without their luggage. This is my fear. We have not packed this way for a cruise yet but we are up to the challenge. We are really starting to do some thinking on what would we do if our luggage did not show up with us. We have taken that risk and we have been lucky but we did not have three planes to deal with. Like I said in my original post was our luggage did not make it back from Europe for three days. At least that happened at the end and not in the beginning!

I am all for anyone giving me tips and hearing the stories of those that have successfully cruised for several weeks with roll aboard luggage that will fit in the overhead. We will also be limited to twenty two pounds which will make it much easier for train travel.

See post 40 for ideas

and another thread

One month in Europe, 12 night cruise, all from a carryon? Am I crazy?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687293

Biggest issue will be toiletries and your luggage. Wheeled luggage usually weighs more than non-wheeled luggage. IT Bags are the lightest, weighing under 5 lbs. Many non wheeled bags are in the 3 lb range, some weigh even less.

Obviously you're not opposed to do laundry.

Decide if you're going to do formal night. If so, how 'low' can you go and still be within the dress code. What about shoes?

https://followtheclarks.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/decisions-decisions/

https://ladylighttravel.com/real-life-examples/

Edited by SadieN

After I've been in a restaurant, the smell of food clings on my clothes and it drives me nuts. Thus, some of my re-wear options are limited.

Febreeze + hanging on a hanger instead of going back into the closet?

You will love that Motherlode on your trip! I've got that one and the 19"er. Just used the 19"er for my little 4 day trip - I had space left over after packing: 1 bathing suit with rash guard, 1 skirt, 2 pair shorts, 7 shirts (110 degree heat!!), running clothes, running hat, 3 socks (for running), 2 undies and 1 extra bra, sandals, toiletries bag, long-sleeved hoodie shirt and long pants that I wore to/from airport (in the 40s when I drove to the airport). I use the packing cubes in my Motherlodes to be sure the weight is distributed (in case I use the backpack straps) and every corner is used. Plus, if it is not packed full, the cubes keep everything from shifting down to the ends!

I was referring to the rolling version of the Motherlode. I do have the smaller backpack/convertible, but I'm hesitant to go without any wheels with the amount of airport and train terminal transiting we'll be doing. I just got the new ultra lightweight packing cubes and am going to audition them on a quick trip to NY this weekend. I find that I pack almost as much for 4 days as I do for 20 - I don't do laundry on the short trips.:)

Edited by critterchick

I was referring to the rolling version of the Motherlode. I do have the smaller backpack/convertible, but I'm hesitant to go without any wheels with the amount of airport and train terminal transiting we'll be doing. I just got the new ultra lightweight packing cubes and am going to audition them on a quick trip to NY this weekend. I find that I pack almost as much for 4 days as I do for 20 - I don't do laundry on the short trips.:)

I just bought a Motherlode 22" convertible and a set of those new eBags ultralight cubes (the Super Packer set) for a niece as a graduation present; get her started the right way on packing for her adventures!

I'm now finding that I am not missing wheels on my 22". I just move faster without lugging the bag - it fits fine on my back when it needs to, or just on my shoulder. Maybe when I get to 65 years old (soon), I'll rethink that position ;)

It really depends where you are going. To the Caribbean? I could do it, easy. We are headed to your neck of the woods, Vancouver/Alaska. Ten days in all. That's harder. But, wear the heavy stuff (my hiking boots) on the plane. Also, we happen to be very small, and that really helps in packing. My cocktail dresses take up almost no space at all. I will bring 2 dresses and a black skirt, and a pair of nice, patterned skinny slacks. The two thin sweaters that I wear with the slacks, I will later wear with layers during the day. We also use what you'd call "tech" gear for hiking etc. Those things are very light, warm, breathable and anti-bacterial, so will be worn 2-3 times.

BTW, I've heard that people dress way down on Alaska cruises, like not wearing dresses at dinner, nor suits even on formal nights? True?

I just bought a Motherlode 22" convertible and a set of those new eBags ultralight cubes (the Super Packer set) for a niece as a graduation present; get her started the right way on packing for her adventures!

I'm now finding that I am not missing wheels on my 22". I just move faster without lugging the bag - it fits fine on my back when it needs to, or just on my shoulder. Maybe when I get to 65 years old (soon), I'll rethink that position ;)

I'll be there in a few years. Maybe I'll try the bag on the New York trip and see how I do with it.:D

I'll be there in a few years. Maybe I'll try the bag on the New York trip and see how I do with it.:D

When I get to the point that I can no longer lift my own bag into the overheads, nor carry it up 3 flights of stairs to an apartment, nor walk 30 minutes with my bag: I will consider, ahem, paying some nice young man to accompany me on my journeys as my Butler. ;)

When I get to the point that I can no longer lift my own bag into the overheads, nor carry it up 3 flights of stairs to an apartment, nor walk 30 minutes with my bag: I will consider, ahem, paying some nice young man to accompany me on my journeys as my Butler. ;)

*high five*

• 2 weeks later...

For our recent Magic cruise, I broke my usual pattern and over packed. I really regretted it. Luggage was heavy and bulky to load and unload from car, and once there it took forever to pack and unpack and to select outfits - too many options for me. I had several Bottoms, Tops, and wraps I never even wore. Next time air will stick to my mantra that less is more.

Edited by simplelife

I can't usually make do with only 3oz of shampoo, conditioner, lotion or sunscreen...or bug spray, or medicines for in case we catch a stomach bug).

BTW, 3oz of sunscreen is only 3 applications...no where NEAR enough for even a 3 day trip!

If taking a few full size toiletries is all that's holding one back from being able to pack in just a carry on, just plan on buying a few things when you arrive. Sunscreen especially- I have been on a lot of cruises and have yet to arrive at a port and not find full size sunscreen. Same with all the "just in case" medicins for stomach bugs or whatever. We have always been able to easily find what we needed in port, from allergy meds to immodium to blister tape and the list goes on.

Sigh. I am so tired of over packers telling me that, because I can easily pack for a trip of 21 days in one 22"x14"x9" bag plus a daypack that I must dress bland or like a slob and have poor hygiene...

Regarding sunscreen: If I do not have room for my full-size sunscreen or do not plan on checking my carryon, I fully plan to buy onboard or at a local store. The extra few dollars spent are not a big deal to me.

I hear you. Wearing something twice doesn't mean you smell bad, LOL. Even in the Caribbean the ship is air conditioned, so if you put something on at 6 or 7 pm to wear to dinner, you probably only have it on a few hours. I don't get sweaty just eating dinner or sitting at the blackjack table, so unless I spill something, I can an item for a few hours and easily wear it again a couple nights later.

And while sunscreen may cost a little more onboard or in port, I've never found it to be SO expensive that it's cost prohibitive.

I would like it if the carry-on only types would not call someone who checks a bag an overpacker.

I don't think checking a bag makes someone an overpacker, per se. But if someone needs 2 suitcases for a 7-9 night cruise? Yeah, in my opinion they could cut back. ;) They certainly don't have to if they don't want to, but they could. I often read people saying in fact that they would LIKE to pack less they just don't know how. Often they end up getting suggestions they never thought about and realize they CAN pack lighter.

It really depends where you are going. To the Caribbean? I could do it, easy. We are headed to your neck of the woods, Vancouver/Alaska. Ten days in all. That's harder.

I actually find it a little easier to pack light for colder destinations. The environment seems casual, and if you're wearing a jacket no one really knows or cares if you're wearing the exact same shirt you wore yesterday. We did an Alaska cruise and I basically took 2 pairs of jeans and rotated them during the days. I know people who won't wear a pair of jeans twice but to me that's just silly. They don't wrinkle or show wear that quickly, and if you aren't getting hot and sweaty it's really not an issue. I took a couple long sleeved tees, and a couple light weight sweaters that could be worn either alone or over a tee, added a fleece vest and a lightweight all-weather jacket and that was it for the daytime. Since it was cool most days, nothing got really sweaty or gross so a few lightweight sweaters and tees was fine for a whole week. Evenings were just a couple regular pants and tops and a maxi dress or two- same as I'd pack for the Caribbean since the inside of the ship is heated so no reason to pack any differently.

I often read people saying in fact that they would LIKE to pack less they just don't know how. Often they end up getting suggestions they never thought about and realize they CAN pack lighter.

Thank you waterbug123, ducklite, and all the others who have posted their experiences, capsule ideas, links to sites for carry on packing etc.

I am one of those who wanted to, but didn't know how. I once tried it for a 5 day cruise, and successfully used a wheeled carry on, and a very large tote bag almost the same size as the carry on! They were both truly over packed bags! Luckily that was years ago, before the TSA liquids and gels restrictions, and the airline carry on size and weight restrictions.

You have all given great encouragement, so yesterday I pulled out my newer smaller wheeled carry on and a purse, and packed them using your suggestions. It worked! When I counted the possible outfits, I had more than enough variety for a multi weather 30 day cruise! Our next cruise is only 12 days!

I do have a question regarding my dress. I have a lovely simple lightweight shift dress I'd like to take. It can be dressed up or down with scarves and jewellery, and fits into my colour capsule. The problem is it is linen.

Have you any ideas how to solve the wrinkle problem for linen clothes?

I only take linen to places where it is so humid that the wrinkles don't get really bad, or don't take it at all. We are moving away from linen and towards blends that won't wrinkle as easily in all honesty. We also don't have a problem with sending out a few things for ironing when we need to. The $3-4 to have the dress ironed once or twice during the cruise isn't a budget breaker.

Ships that have self-serve laundry often have irons available in the laundry rooms. Personally, I'll steam an item in the bathroom while I take a shower and then I won't worry about it :p

In another recent discussion on linen, I noted I don't often travel with it, but if/when I do, I have heavier items that don't wrinkle as badly or I just don't care if it does. And I like linen knits too, in tanks & tees (would love a linen knit dress but haven't found any I like and/or feel like paying for;))

I can fit most of my stuff in a carry on. The first time I packed it I could not believe what I was able to fit in it. But I usually that two roll on carry on. The reason for two is because instead of hand carrying a bag with out wheels, I rather take the second rolling bag. I don't carry a hand bag/purse and only a cell phone. I have lots of room left in the bag, just in case I buy something. We drive to the port and do walk on with our bags. No time is lost at check in. I put two bags on the belt to be X-ray and I am off on to the ship. My DH and I each use two carry on. This next cruise I will try to cut it down to three carry on for the two of us.

I will start to use more of the ships laundry service. It is free for us on Princess. We do take formal cloths including my DH tux. I am making some new pants for day wear on board the ship made of a lighter fabric. I am thinking it will take less space when folded. We will see. My gold it to some day get down to one carry on each.

Dear world,

I confess, I can not pack in a carry-on. But I have learned to pack light when needed. In Vegas I go nuts and pack a full 26" suitcase with 6 pairs of shoes and 2 purses (at least) for a long weekend. For a 19 day trip (including a 7 day cruise in there) to Europe I can live out of a rolling duffel bag. (24") I don't want to have to carry my big suitcase up and down stairs at train stations. Our last trip included 3 flights, 1 cruise and 4 train rides. I needed my luggage to fit on the train and easy to transport. My trick is to use hotel hairdryers and I only pack a travel size shampoo and conditioner. I use travel size everything. If I need more, I will buy it when I get there. I also did laundry once during the trip. I've learned that I don't need a new outfit for every day. Evening clothes can be repeated multiple times and stain stick is a must. :)

I haven't read all the replies but I've done 10 days in Turkey with no chances to do laundry & multiple cities. I also did 3 weeks in Europe with access to laundry on the cruise ship. Here's how I do it:

-Pick a color scheme. For me, I only pack black, gray, purple, pink, & orange. Everything goes with everything & I don't end up with 'orphans' that can't be worn with anything else.

-1 pair of jeans, that I wear on the plane. Everything else is leggings, skirts & stretchy pants.

-3 pairs of shoes: Comfortable calf-high boots, black walking shoes & a pair of black strappy sandals.

-I pretty much wear the same thing every time on the plane: Black tunic sweater, skinny jeans & my calf high boots. Yes, they're a slight PITA to take off in security but I don't have to add their weight to my carry-on.

-I pack 5-7 tops/tunics & 5-7 bottoms plus 1-2 dresses. Again, everything goes with everything.

-For nice dresses, I love this vendor called 'Nuichan' on etsy. She makes nice, long dresses that pack really well. I literally rolled them up in a ball & tossed them in & when I got to the ship they hung up with nary a wrinkle.

-AFA makeup, I have the Urban Decay NAKED on the Go palette & that with a mascara sample, some brushes & a few other items (foundation, setting powder) give me enough to do my face every day. I keep my makeup really simple so I don't feel the need for a lot.

-For skin care, lots of samples. I'm a Sephora VIB so I get lots of samples when I order every month. I just toss them in & I'm good to go.

So, my carry-on suitcase normally contains:

* 5-7 tops/tunics

* 5-7 bottoms (leggings, stretchy pants, skirts or jumpsuits)

*7 pairs of underwear (& yes, I do the 'old to toss out' trick)

*4 bras, 2 padded & 2 not

*4-5 pairs of socks to wear with my boots

* 1-2 pairs of PJs

*2 pairs of shoes (wearing boots)

*A few scarves, necklaces and lightweight wraps

*Makeup & non-liquid toiletries

I also carry a 'personal item' as a oversized purse. It has my travel day bag, liquids, Kindle, medications & other personal items I don't want to take a chance on going into the belly of the plane.

We do tend to take 1 checked bag to toss our coats into. We live in the Southern US so when we travel to Northern Europe we need a coat but don't need it in the airport where its 100+ degrees. It also gives us room for purchases on the way home. We could probably do without it if needed but since we just have carry-on bags, that one extra bag isn't bad to handle.