Ladies how is this possible? Using carry on only...

Halo19

One thing to do is not take the entire medicine cabinet. Instead of day cream and night cream, pack one. The other and use for both. Find products which are concentrated where a small bottle or jar will last a longer time. Instead of liquid makeup remover, use wipes. I can go a month in a quart sized ziplock, and "take care of my appearance" despite what lori_leanne might think. The only thing I need to buy locally when I arrive if I am going for more than a couple weeks is a can of hairspray.

I'll second that. I can easily pack all necessary cosmetics in a carry on with a 3-1-1 bag, and still have enough make-up items and general cosmetic items to not look like some kind of grunge scene hippie, LOL.

There are almost always some things you can do without for a couple of weeks (Ducklite's day cream/night cream is a perfect example), while making something else do double duty. Also, medicines, both Rx and OTC, are exempt from the 3-1-1 limits, so you shouldn't have a problem putting certain things in a separate bag: contact solution, eye drops, Neosporin, cortisone cream, nasal sprays etc.

..... Also, medicines, both Rx and OTC, are exempt from the 3-1-1 limits, so you shouldn't have a problem putting certain things in a separate bag: contact solution, eye drops, Neosporin, cortisone cream, nasal sprays etc.

I didn't know that:o. Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks

I didn't know that:o. Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures

TSA does not provide a detailed list, but if you are carrying medically necessary liquids (creams, gels) they don't have to comply with 3-1-1 rules.

I can usually fit what I need in my 3-1-1 bag, but on the occasions when I can't, I've never had an issue having a separate bag with any of the items I listed previously.

Edited by waterbug123

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

What works for the US might not work overseas. DD had to throw out her 4oz bottle on contact solution flying thru London a few years ago.

When I had contacts, the solution my optometrist recommended for me was Clear Care. Even when I had the 3.2 oz bottle, I had to "voluntarily surrender" (remember - TSA does not confiscate - you have a choice of tossing or going back and checking :roll eyes: ) that bottle enough times that I stopped even trying to carry it. Turns out Clear Care has a higher than usual percentage of hydrogen peroxide and it alarms on their little sniffer machine. I took some in a contact lens case to use on overnight flights and then switched to what I could find once I landed.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, if you are flying in for a cruise, how can you just take a carry on? You would be limited to one quart sized back for anything of liquidish state...toothpaste, lotion, moisturizer, make up. I don't see especially how a female who would like to take care of her appearance can do this.

Since I travel with my husband he takes some things, like toothpaste & saline, in his bag. I take a lot of sample packets with me as well. I also highly recommend the Olay face cleaning wipes that you add water to so they activate (foam up). They work great & they're not a liquid so they don't have to go in my quart bag.

Instead of a ZipLock, use a true zippered top bag. I have a few of them, legacies from USAir Envoy amenity kits and a couple that came as GWP filled with samples from Kiehl's. They are clear plastic and "quart sized" but shaped with a flat bottom and having a true zippered top makes a huge difference. I have traveled domestically and internationally to numerous countries with one of these as my 3-1-1 bag and it has never been questioned or even blinked at. They are also much sturdier.

I put things that don't need to be in it in a separate bag.

In my 3-1-1 I pack:

Sample packet of shampoo and conditioner to get me through just in case. I have never needed it, but they take almost no room, and it gives me peace of mind.

1oz tube of Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser. This will last me a full month of twice a day washes. It is super thick and rich, and I need a pea sized amount.

1 oz bottle of whatever makeup remover sample I have. Currently it's L'Occitane, it could be Lancôme or whatever. I only use it to clean up any leftover mascara or liner that doesn't come off when I wash my face, so an ounce lasts me a month or more.

Body oil, the size depends on how long I will be gone and what the weather will be like. If I am going to Europe in the winter, I bring a 2-3 ounce bottle. If I am going someplace I will need sunscreen, I bring a .5 ounce bottle.

Face oil, sample sized .14 ounce bottle--1 for each week of travel.

Face cream, sample sized, .25 oz for each week of travel. I usually bring at least one with SPF in it.

Sample sized .1 oz tube of eye cream or serum.

One travel sized tube of toothpaste for each week I will be gone, plus a safety packet that gives me three brushings just in case.

2 oz styling cream for my hair. This will last me six weeks or more. I really wish I could find a smaller refillable bottle for it.

Hairspray. A 1.5 ounce can for each week. If I will be putting on a sun hat all day and only using a bit in the evening, a can will last me a couple weeks.

Lip balm/Chapstick

1 ounce tube of hand cream

Sunscreen if needed. I can fit two three ounce tubes of SPF 30 into my bag if I only pack a small body oil and one hairspray.

I use a separate toiletry bag and in that goes stick deodorant, cotton swabs (I like real Q-Tips, not the flimsy things hotels and cruise lines offer so I bring them), a dozen cotton pads, a bar or body soap--I use the L'Occitane Shea Butter when I travel. It is hard milled so it lasts for several weeks and is very moisturizing. I bring a sandwich bag with a dozen or so face wipes. I also have a clipper, an emory board, a wallet sized sewing kit, a corkscrew, some safety pins, a foldable travel brush, an LED mini-flashlight with a wrist strap. I round it out with a stain remover pen, a few wet naps, a Sharpie, and a medium sized binder clip.

The binder clip is something I always forget about--until I need it and remember it's in my bag. They can be used as a bag clip, to secure a pile of loose papers, as an emergency clothes pin, or to hold a seam or hem while you mend it. They are very might weight and take no space.

I..........

2 oz styling cream for my hair. This will last me six weeks or more. I really wish I could find a smaller refillable bottle for it.

Have you looked in backpacking/camping stores?

Found multiple sizes of bottles and small pots at REI and Bass Pro. I find lots of travel bottles/pots/atomizers at Daiso.

My hair cements and gels go into a contact lens case.

For my 3-1-1 bag (aka "Kippie" bag, for Kip Hawley, the TSA director who was in charge when the baggie came to life), I have a zippered bag that I got free at Sephora a couple of years ago. It was free with the purchase of $x worth of travel-size stuff. Nice, durable, plyable, clear plastic. I can get all my stuff in there and the zipper makes sure it isn't going to accidentally "pop" open. Sephora still has these baggies; if you go to the store, they are usually sitting around the travel-size bins at the checkout line. Online, it is the "Beauty on the Fly" bag for $4.95.

Ducklite - the Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser - what I use at home right now. Got a full-size as a gift when I bought some other Kiehl's product. A little does go a long way and it really is super-luxurious on the fact!!

While I do pack a huge suitcase I do try to decant stuff I need into smaller containers - these are my new favorites - found these at a lee valley tools store nearby - but can't seem to find it in their catalogue - but google did help! These are very small - enuf product for a few applications - very airtight and leakproof and you simply squeeze the sides to open - and it snaps shut - I carry a couple of these in the 3-1-1 bag for essentials in case I need something for the plane ride or my luggage goes astray or takes a while to be delivered:

http://besttravelgear.com/how-to-pack-tiny-things-and-body-products-go-tubbs/

http://www.lockharttactical.com/component/hikashop/product/6087991-humangear-gotubb

Some other things I found for those just using a carryon - might be useful?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=73210&cat=2,40725,45454&ap=2

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=72258&cat=2,40725,45454&ap=2

Edited by Froufie

For my 3-1-1 bag (aka "Kippie" bag, for Kip Hawley, the TSA director who was in charge when the baggie came to life), I have a zippered bag that I got free at Sephora a couple of years ago. It was free with the purchase of $x worth of travel-size stuff. Nice, durable, plyable, clear plastic. I can get all my stuff in there and the zipper makes sure it isn't going to accidentally "pop" open. Sephora still has these baggies; if you go to the store, they are usually sitting around the travel-size bins at the checkout line. Online, it is the "Beauty on the Fly" bag for $4.95.

Ducklite - the Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser - what I use at home right now. Got a full-size as a gift when I bought some other Kiehl's product. A little does go a long way and it really is super-luxurious on the fact!!

I use pretty much all Kiehl's face products, and they are all concentrated and last a long time. Their samples are perfect for travel.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, if you are flying in for a cruise, how can you just take a carry on? You would be limited to one quart sized back for anything of liquidish state...toothpaste, lotion, moisturizer, make up. I don't see especially how a female who would like to take care of her appearance can do this.

I decant,use travel & sample sizes and solidify. I use solid stick deodorant, sunblock, bar shampoo, premium bar soap (silt soap from Alaska) and solid body lotion from Lush. I get samples for my 6 step skin care routine from my favorite skin care company (Paula's choice). I solidify makeup remover by saturating cotton balls. I solidify rembrandt toothpaste by drying "dots". Most of my makeup are powders & sticks. Everything else is travel size that fits in 311 bag.

I decant,use travel & sample sizes and solidify. I use solid stick deodorant, sunblock, bar shampoo, premium bar soap (silt soap from Alaska) and solid body lotion from Lush. I get samples for my 6 step skin care routine from my favorite skin care company (Paula's choice). I solidify makeup remover by saturating cotton balls. I solidify rembrandt toothpaste by drying "dots". Most of my makeup are powders & sticks. Everything else is travel size that fits in 311 bag.

Tutorial for toothpaste dots

https://ladylighttravel.com/2014/02/08/travel-hack-make-your-own-toothpaste-dots/

These are great ideas. I do a few of them, but learned some new ones. Thanks!

For extended international travel I use tooth powder rather than toothpaste. A tiny container lasts for a long time. I purchase at natural foods stores, Trader Joe's, or online from Amazon. My grandparents used tooth powder!

The solid shampoos are a disk, not really a ball (the balls are their bath bombs). For me, they last just as long as 2 full-size bottles of shampoo. All you do is to wet the bar, then run it through the full length of your hair 3-4 times. They sell a nice metal container to put your shampoo in. If you buy a massage bar, they have one for that, too - they make nice lotion alternatives.

Before a vacation, a trip to the local Sephora store is always done. They have a HUGE selection of travel-size lotions, potions, cosmetics, etc. And, Lush is hit up if I'm running low on some of their items.

So many good ideas here! I will definitely be checking out Sephora shortly. I did carry-on only on my week trip to Paris in May. It was something I'd always hoped to achieve and with minor planning, it was possible. I don't want to go back now & think it will be possible for our cruise in December.

Lush does make fabulous solid shampoo that smells great too, however, in a hot hotel room in Italy a few years back, mine melted. :o

Brought along paper shampoo to Paris and that formed a glop on my head that wouldn't budge without other shampoo to help release it. Think the paper was expired, lol!

So many good ideas here! I will definitely be checking out Sephora shortly. I did carry-on only on my week trip to Paris in May. It was something I'd always hoped to achieve and with minor planning, it was possible. I don't want to go back now & think it will be possible for our cruise in December.

Lush does make fabulous solid shampoo that smells great too, however, in a hot hotel room in Italy a few years back, mine melted. :o

Brought along paper shampoo to Paris and that formed a glop on my head that wouldn't budge without other shampoo to help release it. Think the paper was expired, lol!

Wow, I've never had a problem with my Lush shampoo melting. It's been to Egypt when it was 109 degrees, camping in Kenya, and to Italy and I did not have a problem. Do you remember which one it was? I can think possibly of Trichomania (the one sold in chunks and had lots of coconut oil to it), but that one is a different "formula" than the disks.

I never heard of paper shampoo; I've used paper soap and paper laundry, though.

Frequent carry on only gal too. Packing cubes made all the difference for me. Never thought i could do it and as strange as this may sound, it is very liberating!

I'm interested in lush. Do they make a disc shampoo for color treated hair? Conditioner? Also, is the massage oil greasy? I'd love to get rid of lotion from my 3-1-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent carry on only gal too. Packing cubes made all the difference for me. Never thought i could do it and as strange as this may sound, it is very liberating!

I'm interested in lush. Do they make a disc shampoo for color treated hair? Conditioner? Also, is the massage oil greasy? I'd love to get rid of lotion from my 3-1-1.

The Caudalie spray in oil isn't at all greasy and is supposed to be fine for hair, face, and body. I love using it on my legs and arms, absolutely ZERO greasy feel. Very light. I get it at Sephora.

I've got color-treated hair. I use Godiva (which they call out as good for color-treated hair) and Karma Koomba. My color lasts just as long with them, they don't seem to strip the color. As far as conditioner goes, I've only used Jungle. I was not thrilled with the smell of it.

The massage bars - a little will do. If you overdo it, it will feel greasy. But, otherwise, it feels like you put on lotion. I would be careful where you travel with these - they will melt... Honestly, I will use what lotion is in the bathroom of my room/cabin and if it is horrible, I'll pick up a little bottle at my next stop. I'm not wedded to a particular brand of lotion.

Wow, I've never had a problem with my Lush shampoo melting. It's been to Egypt when it was 109 degrees, camping in Kenya, and to Italy and I did not have a problem. Do you remember which one it was? I can think possibly of Trichomania (the one sold in chunks and had lots of coconut oil to it), but that one is a different "formula" than the disks.

I never heard of paper shampoo; I've used paper soap and paper laundry, though.

Hi slidergirl,

I can't remember the name of the LUSH shampoo that melted & I don't recognize it from the current lineup. It was square & green.

It was years ago on a trip to Italy in 2008 where it melted. Was staying in a Rome convent that had a 'capsule' bathroom where the shower was just next to the toilet so the whole room got soaked when we showered:( I opened the bathroom window to get some ventilation in the room and left for the day.

When I returned, the heat of the sun coming into the bathroom must've melted it since it was just a green, gloopy mess! I've not gone off the idea of solid shampoo(my friend swears by Godiva) but won't use paper shampoo again, esp. if it's expired :rolleyes:

I get a lot of small sample shampoo & conditioner packs that I've collected over the years & generally bring them on trips now. There's usually enough for one or two shampoos. in them.

I loved using just carry-on since it was not a struggle getting on & off trains, rolling on cobblestones or carrying upstairs to apartments. Importantly, if you plan well, you have enough clothes for all events in your travels.

TIP:If you travel with a spouse, put some of your liquids in his ziplock baggie. The only liquid my husband brings is shaving cream, that's it, so this left me with room for more of my stuff.:)

Hi slidergirl,

I can't remember the name of the LUSH shampoo that melted & I don't recognize it from the current lineup. It was square & green.

It was years ago on a trip to Italy in 2008 where it melted. Was staying in a Rome convent that had a 'capsule' bathroom where the shower was just next to the toilet so the whole room got soaked when we showered:( I opened the bathroom window to get some ventilation in the room and left for the day.

When I returned, the heat of the sun coming into the bathroom must've melted it since it was just a green, gloopy mess! I've not gone off the idea of solid shampoo(my friend swears by Godiva) but won't use paper shampoo again, esp. if it's expired :rolleyes:

I get a lot of small sample shampoo & conditioner packs that I've collected over the years & generally bring them on trips now. There's usually enough for one or two shampoos. in them.

I loved using just carry-on since it was not a struggle getting on & off trains, rolling on cobblestones or carrying upstairs to apartments. Importantly, if you plan well, you have enough clothes for all events in your travels.

TIP:If you travel with a spouse, put some of your liquids in his ziplock baggie. The only liquid my husband brings is shaving cream, that's it, so this left me with room for more of my stuff.:)

Hmm. Can't remember a square green shampoo.

When you travel solo using many forms of transportation and get rooms in B&Bs and inns that do not have elevators, it is VERY important to be able to nimbly take care of your bag!! I don't do many trips where I'm not encountering any one of these in addition to a cruise...

I just noticed that the poster who said she couldn't see how women who "wanted to take care of their appearance" can adequately pack in a carryon bag has not been back...

Edited by slidergirl

Hmm. Can't remember a square green shampoo.

When you travel solo using many forms of transportation and get rooms in B&Bs and inns that do not have elevators, it is VERY important to be able to nimbly take care of your bag!! I don't do many trips where I'm not encountering any one of these in addition to a cruise...

I just noticed that the poster who said she couldn't see how women who "wanted to take care of their appearance" can adequately pack in a carryon bag has not been back...

Even if there is an elevator they can be puny. DD's elevator in Rome is slightly larger than a dumb waiter at 53cm x 72cm (20in x28in) and you need room to swing the exterior and interior doors shut.

ETA-yes, we measured. :D

Edited by SadieN

European hotel rooms and bathrooms are also very small by American standards. There is no space to put more than one bag unless you like tripping over things.

In addition, my hotel in Reykjavik was on a street closed to vehicles. I had to haul it all 2 blocks.

Even though this last trip couldn't be carry on because of the necessary boots, it had to be light enough for me to carry with no big problems.

And, yes, for the record, I was carrying my toiletries and makeup. I even had jewelry.

I say pack however it makes you happy :D

We are light packers. We use only 1 backpack each ( Ebags 19" Motherlode convertible Jr ) and nothing else - especially when we fly. If we are driving to the cruise port, then I may toss my snorkel gear and hammock into a small tote and lighten my pack a bit. We use packing cubes and pack-it-flat toiletry organizers.

One thing I wanted to mention is that we use a sunscreen stick. Neutrogena has several choices. We use their 1.5ounce stick either in the 50 or 70spf. We have been using them for several trips now and love them. They don't cut into your liquid packing allowance when flying and they are neater and easier all around. They last a long time ! For example: I brought 2 new sticks to Disney for my family of 10+1 and we only used about half of each stick over 3 days in the parks. I usually order on Amazon, but have also seen them at Walmart. They hide well amongst the sunscreen bottles so look carefully.

I cannot say enough about the Ebags backpack. We have the 19" variety because it will fit under the seat in any aircraft we have taken them on. With as often as the overheads fill up, we just didn't want to take a chance on losing our bags to gate check which defeats the purpose of traveling with carry on ! We did not buy the 22" packs because of under seat factor. The 19" will at times show out from under the seat a little and I just knew that a picky flight attendant wouldn't allow the 22" to stay there. We are a family of 10 but we rarely travel altogether anymore since we have grown children which limits availability of all to coordinate travel.

A side bonus going to carry on only is that your bags take up very little closet space ;) We went from 3 sets of giant nested suitcases to one small stack of packs. Here is a fun pic of our bags all set out and waiting for our Disney trip this past July.

Ps. Our longest carry on only trip was 10 days (7/3) in PR with a 7 night cruise attached. Did laundry in PR but not on the ship.

13707685_10209711455012885_2370320242478000213_n.jpg?oh=6796655f47be771d076470bdb48b6a8a&oe=5884F7D9

Edited by Athankfulheart

I say pack however it makes you happy :D

we just didn't want to take a chance on losing our bags to gate check which defeats the purpose of traveling with carry on !

We did not buy the 22" packs because of under seat factor. The 19" will at times show out from under the seat a little and I just knew that a picky flight attendant wouldn't allow the 22" to stay there.

Ps. Our longest carry on only trip was 10 days (7/3) in PR with a 7 night cruise attached. Did laundry in PR but not on the ship.

Absolutely, everyone should pack how it makes them happy.

Not so sure gate checking completely defeats the purpose of traveling carry-on. Many prefer to carry on to avoid bag check charges, but usually when the overheads fill up and you're forced to gate check, there is no charge. Obviously you still have to wait for your bags at baggage claim, but the cost savings, which is very important to a lot of people, is the same either way.

I, for one, appreciate those "picky" flight attendants. The rule that under-seat items must fit completely under is for safety reasons, similar to the reasons aisles must be kept clear, those seated in the exit row must speak English, and be over the age of 15 etc. Flight attendants who insist that under-seat bags be completely under the seat aren't being picky, they are doing their job! ;)

I'm impressed that you were able to pack for a 17 day trip, including a cruise, in a 19" backpack. I'd love to see an inventory list of what you packed for that trip!