Dravuni Island: DVD for School?

Hi all

We're visiting Dravuni Island next month and are looking at taking some things for the school. Among the things we thought we'd like to take is a DVD of some cute and educational cartoon-style videos of about three or four minutes each.

We can take them as a DVD compilation or as MP4's on a USB stick. Does the school have access to a TV/DVD player or computer that such things could be played on?

Any help would be appreciated,

Mark.

Hi all

We're visiting Dravuni Island next month and are looking at taking some things for the school. Among the things we thought we'd like to take is a DVD of some cute and educational cartoon-style videos of about three or four minutes each.

We can take them as a DVD compilation or as MP4's on a USB stick. Does the school have access to a TV/DVD player or computer that such things could be played on?

Any help would be appreciated,

Mark.

It's nice to directly help people, particularly in places like Dravuni, but have you considered instead donating to someone like Save The Children?

http://www.savethechildren.org.fj/education/

They've done a lot of work in Dravuni over the years. They helped to build the school there.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

My wife and I contribute a considerably amount of time and money to charitable causes on a weekly basis, including giving direct help. However, if we have, say, $100 to donate to the children and school of Dravuni Island, why would we not give them $100 directly and know that they received $100? Donating through Save the Children would see them only get around $82.

This is not to say that charities such as Save the Children do not have their place. But if we're personally visiting a location needing help, it's common sense to help directly while there and have 100% of the available funds put to good use rather than have administration and fund-raising costs gobble up a good percentage.

My wife and I contribute a considerably amount of time and money to charitable causes on a weekly basis, including giving direct help. However, if we have, say, $100 to donate to the children and school of Dravuni Island, why would we not give them $100 directly and know that they received $100? Donating through Save the Children would see them only get around $82.

This is not to say that charities such as Save the Children do not have their place. But if we're personally visiting a location needing help, it's common sense to help directly while there and have 100% of the available funds put to good use rather than have administration and fund-raising costs gobble up a good percentage.

Good on you.

And I mean that sincerely.

We second that.:):)

Having been to Dravuni twice, gorgeous spot, friendly residents, but I am pretty sure no electricity let alone a DVD player. I suggest you take something more practical and less high tech as the it is subsistence living.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thankyou. I was wondering whether they've made use of solar power for limited electricity. After seeing how they've done so on other islands, I thought this could be a possibility here, too.

Did not see any solar panels, not that I was looking for any, with such a small population (under 200) it might not be economical unless donated. When I looked in the school there didn't appear to be any modern technologies, in fact they even sat on the floor, minimal tables and chairs, but that might have been a cultural thing. However DVD's don't take up much room, so you could take them anyway but make your main focus non tech stuff. I am sure they would be appreciated. I always make sure we spend money so we are helping with their economy, even if we really don't need anything.

Which cruise line are you going with, I understand P&O Aust have a comprehensive assistance program for their ports of call and they might be able to advise what is best to bring.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

We're going with P&O. Thanks for the suggestion about contacting them. We are taking other goods as well. The DVD idea was just an additional thought (something outside the box in addition to the standard paper and pencils-type package).

Hi

We're going with P&O. Thanks for the suggestion about contacting them. We are taking other goods as well. The DVD idea was just an additional thought (something outside the box in addition to the standard paper and pencils-type package).

On a previous visit we got a groups together and suggested different items so we would not duplicate Blow up footballs large and small cricket sets frizbies and other play time things were very happily received as well of course as the usual plasticine and crayons etc.

I have just looked at my photos from inside the classroom and there was one floro strip light on the ceiling but there was not any TV or any other electrical device in the classroom. There was however a very large sandpit out the front of the classroom which I hadn't even remembered about so goodness knows what else I have forgotten there may have been solar panels about.

What I can remember though is a stunning Island with a beautiful beach, a tranquil village and lovely natives. You will so enjoy your day here. Try to get off the ship early before hoards desend and just enjoy the peace and quiet for a short while. We just loved the Island.

However, if we have, say, $100 to donate to the children and school of Dravuni Island, why would we not give them $100 directly and know that they received $100? Donating through Save the Children would see them only get around $82.

Because Save the Children are on the ground and know the circumstances and needs of these schools far better than visitors.

If you want to give cash directly to the school do so, but I don't see how you can be sure you are giving it to the right person, who will then use it in the right way.

The reason only $82 dollars goes directly to the recipient is that the people in Save the Children who know how to do this sort of thing properly, have to eat too.

You are paying for a certain level of expertise which you can't be expected to possess yourself.

I respect your opinion and, as I said, I don't deny that the Save the Children fund has it's place and is a legitimate way to donate. I ask that you, in return, respect my opinion that giving directly to the locals with a smile on my face is also a legitimate way to donate. Like most things, there's more than one good way to accomplish the same thing.

As a side point, my illustration used cash as an example only. In reality, we would be taking goods with us which are easy to hand to the right person (the teacher) who will use them in the right way. I don't seriously believe I need to find people "on the ground" or search out people with "expertise" to figure out what they need and appreciate. To suggest such is to over-complicate an attempt to express a kind human gesture.

In reality, I have had people "on the ground". They are the people who, having already visited the island, have spoken to the teacher and other locals and taken supplies, have returned home and spoken about their experiences on forums and the like. They've referred to the high level of appreciation expressed, the search made by the teacher and students just to find some drawing paper, and the tears of the teacher upon receiving a gift of some simple school supplies. These experiences confirm that providing such gifts on Dravuni Island are right on target and very appropriate.

Never forget that, while a charity can deliver money and goods, there is a warmth that can only be experienced by locals when a visitor personally helps them out – complete with a smile, a chat, and a handshake or a hug. We never want to stifle that.

Having said all that, this thread appears to have been hi-jacked! I wasn't seeking advice on how to give but on whether they have any way to play educational videos. There has been some helpful tips from other posters which I appreciate. And, following the suggestion of one poster, P&O are now looking into the answer for me.

Edited by markannab

I respect your opinion and, as I said, I don't deny that the Save the Children fund has it's place and is a legitimate way to donate. I ask that you, in return, respect my opinion that giving directly to the locals with a smile on my face is also a legitimate way to donate. Like most things, there's more than one good way to accomplish the same thing.

As a side point, my illustration used cash as an example only. In reality, we would be taking goods with us which are easy to hand to the right person (the teacher) who will use them in the right way. I don't seriously believe I need to find people "on the ground" or search out people with "expertise" to figure out what they need and appreciate. To suggest such is to over-complicate an attempt to express a kind human gesture.

In reality, I have had people "on the ground". They are the people who, having already visited the island, have spoken to the teacher and other locals and taken supplies, have returned home and spoken about their experiences on forums and the like. They've referred to the high level of appreciation expressed, the search made by the teacher and students just to find some drawing paper, and the tears of the teacher upon receiving a gift of some simple school supplies. These experiences confirm that providing such gifts on Dravuni Island are right on target and very appropriate.

Never forget that, while a charity can deliver money and goods, there is a warmth that can only be experienced by locals when a visitor personally helps them out – complete with a smile, a chat, and a handshake or a hug. We never want to stifle that.

Having said all that, this thread appears to have been hi-jacked! I wasn't seeking advice on how to give but on whether they have any way to play educational videos. There has been some helpful tips from other posters which I appreciate. And, following the suggestion of one poster, P&O are now looking into the answer for me.

:):):)

We are visiting Dravuni in November, been twice before, just wish we had more luggage space to help the locals.

A big hello to you from wet Wauchope:p

• 1 month later...
:):):)

We are visiting Dravuni in November, been twice before, just wish we had more luggage space to help the locals.

A big hello to you from wet Wauchope:p

Heya fellow cruisers, we too are joining you with the donations to the school in November - do we coordinate our donations to avoid on double ups on a thread like this or do it on the roll call?

Thanks in advance

Heya fellow cruisers, we too are joining you with the donations to the school in November - do we coordinate our donations to avoid on double ups on a thread like this or do it on the roll call?

Thanks in advance

Co-ordinate on your roll-call. The young children attend school on Dravuni, while the older children board at a school on a nearby island. Their parents visit them on Sundays. The island has limited electricity so I would not take anything that requires power or that is too high-tech.

I just reviewed my video from Dec 2015. There definitely is power in the school as I captured both light switches and power points in the video. However I didn't see any evidence of a TV or DVD player.

I have attached a screen grab of the make up of the school for reference regarding ages & school numbers

1052149190_Dravunischoolmakeup.jpg.c091de184e68f5550afc7fcf52f1e710.jpg