Boarding

astridwilson

Our plane is scheduled to arrive at 1:30 PM. I know they say you must be on board POA by 5PM. I know we have 3 1/2 hours. So we should be ok. Flying from east coast on United out of Chicago. Should I be worried?

In hind sight, I wish I had flown in the day before.

I guess worst case if united in over 3 hours late, will they fly us to Maui to catch the ship?

Will United fly you to Maui? I doubt it. If you booked your air fares through NCL, NCL might fly you to Maui, as they generally take that responsibility. But United is going to probably say you booked it too tight.

By the way, United doesn't fly from Honolulu to Maui. It would be on Hawaiian Air, or one of the other local carriers.

I agree, way too tight for my comfort. That being said, you have a fair chance of making it. But that is not the way I want to start my vacation. I would collect my bags, and grab the first taxi I see.

Yeah, my mistake and everything is already booked. I thought we had until 7PM when I made the reservations.

FYI, United and Hawaiian air are partners as we fly outta Hilo on HA, but booked with United.

United and Hawaiian are "limited partners". Not like United and Lufthansa, or that sort of alliance. It will work out for you, flying home from Hilo, but that relationship doesn't really mean anything if you are 3 hours late into Honolulu.

You never know when a flight will be delayed, especially out of Chicago, but...you might contact the airline to see what their policy is re getting you to the ship if it is other than a weather related delay. And, LAX flights to HNL are often early rather than late so you may have more time than you need. Even if you arrive 3 hours late you will probably have time to contact the ship and let them know before you leave Chicago of your flight delays. There may be some on board that flight that have booked with HAL and the ship will be held. And...there are flights just about every 20 minutes from HNL to one of the Maui airports, so check them out so you know what you are dealing with and possibly have a hotel in mind if you do have to stay. Hopefully your flight will be on-time but just have a couple options ready if you are late. You'll probably have time for a mai tai and pu pus at La Mariana Sailing Club on your way to the ship. Just be prepared for everything that could happen, and enjoy your cruise. Cherie

• 2 weeks later...

What month are you flying out of Chicago? Weather could delay flights in Chicago, other than that............

Honolulu airport is just minutes from the port. There is only the POA in port, so no traffic or port crowds. HON airport is easy to maneuver and get your luggage and a cab quickly.

Worst case, if you do miss the ship - it is a cheap and quick flight to Maui, you won't miss any of your cruise.

Be sure that you have NCL contact telephone numbers handy, they may be able to accommodate you late at the port and they will have to be prepared for you if you need to board in Maul.

Due to some issues with our business, we are flying out the same day but only from California - still stressing, but all always works out fine

Our plane is scheduled to arrive at 1:30 PM. I know they say you must be on board POA by 5PM. I know we have 3 1/2 hours. So we should be ok. Flying from east coast on United out of Chicago. Should I be worried?

I guess worst case if united in over 3 hours late, will they fly us to Maui to catch the ship?

Indeed, you never know about flights from Chicago. In March, we were scheduled to fly from Chicgo to the west coast to catch a cruise. Our flight was scheduled to arrive the day before the cruise. The day before we were to fly, it was a sunny day where we are located, about 30 miles from the airport, and we anticipated no problems. Yet, the day before our flight, we got a text from the airline that our flight for the next am was cancelled and to call. It was nearly 4 hours before I could get through, and by that time hundreds of those displaced were booking up the remaining flights.

We still managed to get a flight and arrive the day before the cruise, but only because coincidentally, the cruise got delayed a day because of dry dock issues. But we came too close for comfort in missing a cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii. Had we originally been planning to arrive the day of, and that had happened, I doubt we would have made it. Turns out there was a ground delay elsewhere which prevented our plane from getting back to Chicago in time for our flight. So even weather elsewhere can impact whether or not your flight goes on time, or is delayed or cancelled. I highly recommend a day early or even more. If something does happen all you can do is keep NCL informed. If you don't make it, spend the night in Waikiki and fly to Maui the next am.

Are you on a Non-Stop flight?

Did we find out what month he is cruising? Chicago in the winter?

Risky, yes, but it does not take snow and ice to cancel flights. I believe for our cancelled flight, the plane was in California and could not get back due to fog there.

In looking at previous posts by the OP, late August is mentioned.

Must have missed that... well then winter will not be a concern. For a cruise such as Hawaii, I know I would not have risked a same day flight. JMO.

Don't forgo the travel insurance.

I just noticed that you are in NC.......too many "what ifs".

I would at least fly into Chicago a day early.

With all of the distance, you could be delayed a day or two.

You should be fine but......just sayin'

No, United's responsibility ends with you reaching your destination in Honolulu. Flight to Maui and hotel will be on your dime.

No, United's responsibility ends with you reaching your destination in Honolulu. Flight to Maui and hotel will be on your dime.

Sorry to interrupt this thread by Chief, if you have any thoughts on coffee makers in Staterooms, it would be appreciated on the DCL board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382873

ex techie

Yep. You are on your own on this one.

Have one of those last-minute hotel booking apps on your smart device, like one that will find a "hotel tonight" for you or do a "booking now" for you (hint - actual names of apps...); if you miss and need to stay, you may find a last-minute deal at a decent price...

For the airline - you'll be buying that ticket at a walk-up fare, so be prepared for sticker shock. Your first instinct will be to do Hawaiian - don't forget that there are still a couple of smaller, inter-island airlines hanging around...