Balcony doors and bungee cords

Lisichka

Yes it's possible. I used them on the Constellation in February.

The stationary door has a knob you can loop the bungee cord around.

Connie%20bungee%20cord_zpsfrpbrmfs.jpg

Use it if you want to keep the sliding door open without shifting shut with the waves.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Just off NCL Breakaway, & ther was a card in the room that said the AC programmed to turn off when the balcony door was left open in order to conserve energy. May have just been a scare tactic.

What am I missing with these replies? The sliders do not close on their own on Celebrity - as a matter of fact I can hardly pull them closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually the doors were all constructed to stay open when putting the handle in the right position but between people with bungee cords and others who try to close the door with the handle in the wrong position many of them are broken so you ever know what you are going to get.

They also ask that you not prop the door open because it messes up the air conditioning systems, but as you can see many don't listen to that either. The doors are meant to stay open for serving food, moving furniture, etc.

If YOU leave your door open, it affects the cabin's cooling/heating all around you! If you want to experience the sea...go ON the balcony, close the freaking door and experience it! Don't mess up everyone else's climate!

Also causes huge drafts and whoosing noise into the hallway and nearby cabins,

Sometimes so bad that we've had to put a rolled up towel by our door to quiet the noise,..

ENJOY your balcony but please keep the door closed!

We didn't see anything in the cabin that said don't keep the balcony door open. We had our cabin temperature turned neutral to the outside February Caribbean temperature before it was too cold or too hot.

Besides from what I could determine, the "thermostat" acts as a damper that, not like the one at home, actually turns on or off the air conditioning.

If YOU leave your door open, it affects the cabin's cooling/heating all around you! If you want to experience the sea...go ON the balcony, close the freaking door and experience it! Don't mess up everyone else's climate!

We will be in Alaska. No cooling or heating needed. Just fresh air.

We didn't see anything in the cabin that said don't keep the balcony door open. We had our cabin temperature turned neutral to the outside February Caribbean temperature before it was too cold or too hot.

Besides from what I could determine, the "thermostat" acts as a damper that, not like the one at home, actually turns on or off the air conditioning.

On the Reflection there is a small sign that asks you to keep the door closed.

Please don't do that. We've had next door neighbors on ships who did that and it messed with our own a/c. Ours didn't work well when their door was open. If you want to be inside, be inside. If you want fresh air, go out and shut the door. It's just courteous.

I read all the time about people who sleep with their balcony door open.

We will be in Alaska. No cooling or heating needed. Just fresh air.

As someone said up upstream the "thermostat" is essentially a damper that regulates the flow of cold air or hot air the system pumps into your cabin, not the temperature of that air.

Cabins are combined in horizontal and vertical blocks. When the system comes on in your cabin because you have your door blocked open, it runs continuously for all cabins in the block while it tries endlessly to change the temperature of the air coming in from outside the ship to match whatever your cabin is set to.

You might not care because you have fresh air, but the cabins around you and above you and under you will definitely care.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

On Carnival I usually bring a bungee cord to keep the balcony door open.

The Carnival ships that we have been on had hinged swinging balcony doors instead of the sliding doors, even for regular balcony cabins, so we did not need a bungee cord.

A book can easily be inserted to hold that type of door open at whatever position you want.

Propping a balcony door open is certainly convenient for keeping your hands free while carrying dishes, beverages and other items in and out, even if only needed for a very brief time.

Being in the Uk do not normally post on the American boards, however....if you keep you balcony door open:-

There is a terrible noise in the corridor-you will not hear it in your cabin, but others around you will. Especially at night.

If I walk along a corridor during the day, I know who has the balcony door open by the noise.

It does have an effect on the air con of the surrounding cabins.

As others have posted if you want fresh air sit on the balcony , with the door closed.

Why do people have to be soo selfish on a cruise, everything has to be what they want..and ignore the effect on others.

And when they keep it open overnight to enjoy the sea air,,..that howling noise definitely disturbs sleep in nearby cabins! Not easy for the attendants to track down the source either,

Please folks...be good neighbors!

As someone said up upstream the "thermostat" is essentially a damper that regulates the flow of cold air or hot air the system pumps into your cabin, not the temperature of that air.

Cabins are combined in horizontal and vertical blocks. When the system comes on in your cabin because you have your door blocked open, it runs continuously for all cabins in the block while it tries endlessly to change the temperature of the air coming in from outside the ship to match whatever your cabin is set to.

You might not care because you have fresh air, but the cabins around you and above you and under you will definitely care.

ESPECIALLY Ocean View and Inside cabins that HAVE no way of getting fresh air into them and are dependent on the HVAC system to be working properly for climate control.

I was recently on RCCL's Brilliance and was walking down the hall and chatting with my cabin host and someone was complaining to the housekeeping head of the deck that their room was hot in spite of the thermostat being turned as low as it could. You could hear the whistling coming from another cabin close by and the supervisor stepped into the cabin and looked at the actually said "You can thank your neighbors who have their balcony door open for that." I think he did attempt to speak with the offending cabins, but it didn't really work as I usually heard the telltale whistling every morning. (7/1 cabins 7514 and 7516, I'm looking at you - it was QUITE easy to know where the howling was coming from!! They generally alternated - except once they were BOTH open.)

Occasionally there is justice though. My stateroom host said that one time they'd gotten a call about someone stuck in their cabin - the door wouldn't open. Maintenance and housekeeping all got to the door, and the maintenance guy took one listen and said "Sir, please close your balcony door." He did and magically their door was able to be opened from the inside because the vacuum seal had been broken when the balcony door was closed.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

You are assuming that HVAC systems on all ships and on all lines operate the same way. Even older ships on the same cruise line have different systems than the newer class ships.

That was my most recent experience.

But the bottom line is those doors were never meant to be left open - even on newer ships.

If you must hear the ocean while sleeping, take some blankets onto your balcony and sleep there. Or book a land-based ocean resort with a beachfront suite.

What am I missing with these replies? The sliders do not close on their own on Celebrity - as a matter of fact I can hardly pull them closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Disagree.... Stepped on to our balcony for a minute and the door slid closed and we were locked out. This was in March on the Infinity. Had a hard time explaining to non english speaking neighbours that we need help

.Eventually we were freed!!