Mariner Horizon View Suites

jsdjkl35

In the past, we have had occasional, minor soot problems on the balcony of an Horizon suite on Mariner. Usually seemed to occur when the Captain "put their foot down" when leaving port.

Best to check seat cushions and balcony handrail.

The Horizon suites on decks 8 & 9 are fabulous; good size & layout. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 6:39 AM, travelwell said:

Brownie54, Did you have any issues with soot?

On 5/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, travelwell said:

Thank you! That was the answer I wanted to hear.

We had soot issues about 8 years ago and when we mentioned this to one of the ship's officers a year or so ago he told us that they were using a different fuel oil now that burns cleaner.  We had zero soot issues last time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in an Horizon View suite, indeed 991, in Nov/Dec - Lima to B Aires. Looking forward to it, having taken our 1st Regent cruise in 2015 in a SS Aft suite on Mariner too. We know the views are fantastic and the extra outside space is valuable to us, we don't go on a cruise to spend time indoors!

We found the design to be odd, walking through a wardrobe/closet to the somewhat small bathroom - but the lounge are was huge and the bedroom was fine.  The bed looks to be "squeezed in a bit tight" in the HV suite but the bathroom, walk in wardrobe and lounge areas look plenty large enough - we'll see.

For info: We had no soot problems on either Mariner or Voyager in aft suites - but we have done midships on Explorer - particularly if you sit on deck 12 near the funnels.  

I also found the SS Aft design to be strange.  But if we sailed on the Mariner again I would definitely book this suite.   The terrace is superb!  Horizon View - I don't think there is a separate bedroom (?)  Looks to me as though there is a curtain one can draw to separate it off but not a distinct bedroom with a door.

Soot - the only time I have encountered this was on the Navigator.  We boarded and I was wearing white trousers.  Had lunch on the pool deck and my trousers were spotted, black and white!   The butler whisked them away, they were dry cleaned (at Regent's expense I should add) and spots were gone.

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Soot - the only time I have encountered this was on the Navigator.  We boarded and I was wearing white trousers.  Had lunch on the pool deck and my trousers were spotted, black and white!   The butler whisked them away, they were dry cleaned (at Regent's expense I should add) and spots were gone.

How long ago was this?  I was told that Regent switched to a different formulation of fuel oil several years ago that eliminated the soot issue.

Gerry, the SS aft suites on Mariner are still wonderful (but my DH doesn't care for them - another story).  Sometimes it seems that Regent is trying to confuse us with Seven Seas suites.

On Mariner, the aft SS suites have 1 1/2 bathrooms while the forward SS suites have 1 bathroom.  On Voyager, it is reverses (aft has 1 bathroom and forward has 1 1/2).  Don't know or care what Navigator has ...... except that their SS suites are under the swimming pool - have chlorine smells in the hallways and only have 1 bath.  However, suite 1125 (used to be a hair salon) may only have one bathroom but is huge with enough drawers for a 1 year cruise.  It is also in a great location.

We have stayed in aft suites on Explorer twice (third time upcoming later this year) and never have had soot issues.  

We had a Navigator Suite on deck 9 for a TA crossing some time ago.  We were under the pool deck. (933 I think we had.)  We had no noise from above and only once did we smell chlorine in the hall outside our suite and that was when an access door to the pool machinery was open.  I do not think there are any Seven Seas suites on Deck 9 on the Navigator...    I did not especially like the Navigator suite but for two other reasons - first the bathroom opens off the living room and not off the bedroom which is not all that convenient and second the balcony is tiny.

SS Aft suite is my suite of choice were I ever to do another Mariner cruise...  I can live with the access to the main bath being via the closet though I don't like it.  The sitting room and especially the terrace are lovely...

Gerry

We were very happy with Explorer’s Penthouse Suites.

The bathroom was large and the shower area had a bench. The shower was huge and had sprays coming from everywhere. 

Some people complained that the closet was too small. It worked for us on transatlantics.

So, for the Splendor, now they changed the closet to enter from the rear of the bathroom as well as the front foyer of the suite. Talk about convoluted! Yes, they made the closet huge but the 2 entrances are stupid and the bathroom is now very small. The trade off wasn’t good. 

I will bet those people who complained about the Explorer Penthouse closet never stayed in one. 

Sheila

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I will bet those people who complained about the Explorer Penthouse closet never stayed in one. 

I know I never did - I'd NEVER book a Penthouse closet, it would be WAY too small.    :classic_tongue:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I know I never did - I'd NEVER book a Penthouse closet, it would be WAY too small.    :classic_tongue:

Not the new Splendor Penthouse closet. It’s bigger than the sleeping portion of the G cabin on Splendor. You might be comfortable. Although, now the bathroom is only a bit larger than the G.  Take a look.

I would still bet that anyone who complained about the closet in a Penthouse suite on the Explorer, ever stayed in that suite. Do they like the new closet configuration design for Splendor? And the new bathroom. I think it’s awful 

Sheila 

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Sheila - where do you see room layouts for the Splendour?  All I get when I try to find them are "Layouts coming soon".   

Hi Gerry

I cant find your email address to mail it to you. I am not smart enough to figure out how to attach it to this link. Send me your address and I will email it to you. Bubbema at aol dot com. 

Sheila

Really thought that this thread was about the Mariner but it has somehow morphed into Explorer.  The aft Seven Seas suites on Mariner are 1,000,000 times better than a PH on Explore (IMHO).  We have been in a F1/F2, Grand and Master suites on Explorer and would not book a PH - I'd rather not take the cruise.  On Mariner, while I agree about walking through the closet to get to the bathroom, the living room is the size of many living rooms in homes - spacious and comfortable.  

Space to move around is just important to us - especially when we decide to make a port day a "sea day" - simply because we enjoy the ship more than that particular port.

We have just spent 20 days in an Explorer PH - after only previously experiencing SS aft on Mariner & Voyager and a massive (now Explorer) suite on Expl'er. We too like space to move around and are fortunate enough to have enjoyed these superb suites. Given what has been said about PH's we were worried about what we were letting ourselves in for - no need! I really do not see why anyone would complain about the PH on Explorer. It is good vfm in my view. We really value outside space and the wide balcony with L shaped seating as well as the table and chairs is an added bonus.

I feared that we would have no room in the walk in wardrobe/closet, we would be cramped for space & that we'd made some terrible mistake. Well, obviously it lacks the space of a SS suite but the bathroom, storage space & balcony are still exceptionally impressive, the wardrobe was more than adequate for 20 days & the dining-lounge area is absolutely fine. It is all lavishly appointed, the layout out makes good use of the available space & we were delighted with suite tbh. I would consider a Concierge suite with the larger balcony but otherwise the PH, still with the larger balcony, would be our preferred option.

I'd advise anyone not to be concerned about space or storage issues with the PH, it is a stylish and comfortable haven for a lengthy cruise.

• Like 2

Now that we are discussing Explorer PH suites, people new to Explorer should know that these suites do not have a bathtub.  Also, perhaps someone will remind me but I do not recall seeing a proper desk in this suite.  In terms of balconies - all suites on Explorer have larger suites than most other Regent ships and all suites have a good amount of storage space (except for what I feel is a small closet).  

Our favorite PH suite is on Mariner - lots of space - a lovely make-up area and desk and a fairly large closet (considering that Mariner has smaller closets than Voyager or Navigator).   

One more comment about the PH suite on Explorer...... I’m guessing that there were other passengers that feel the same way that we do since Regent made the decision to change the suite on Splendor.  

I totally agree with Pies4u regarding Explorer PH suites.  We love the layout and the bathroom is great with separate water closet and fabulous shower (Wow!).

Maybe the reason Regent changed Splendor PH is they listened to opinions from people who have never stayed in one.

”Don’t knock it ‘till you try it”.  

That is, unless you’re like some who seem to always get a generous upgrade or upsell offer 😉!  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pdaniel said:

I totally agree with Pies4u regarding Explorer PH suites.  We love the layout and the bathroom is great with separate water closet and fabulous shower (Wow!).

Maybe the reason Regent changed Splendor PH is they listened to opinions from people who have never stayed in one.

”Don’t knock it ‘till you try it”.  

That is, unless you’re like some who seem to always get a generous upgrade or upsell offer 😉!  

Don't we all select a suite based on what we see online?  In our case, we have toured the Explorer PH suite 3 times and still did not feel that it met our requirements (although the lower category suites do ...... go figure).  For us, the lack of a bathtub is a deal breaker but I'm happy that others do enjoy the suite.

BTW, let me know who gets "generous upgrades" as I only know about upsells (which are offered to most people that have good TA's). When we book a suite, we do not book it with the thought that we may receive an upsell -- we always book what we know we will be happy with.  If an upsell comes along, it is like a cherry on the cake!

Cat-

Thank you for that explanation.  Our experience vs your tours differ, but I agree and respect everyone’s choices.

BTW, who arranges these tours of suites?  Also, does your TA offer free cruises on Regent and NCL?  

• Like 1

pdaniel on our first Explorer cruise we booked a Concierge suite, based on how we perceived the Penthouse suite looked in the brochure and online.

Our preference on the other 3 ships is always a Penthouse.

We liked the concierge fine enough, especially the dressing room and bathroom but if I am honest the seating area felt cramped and we always have breakfast in the room every day and it just didn’t flow well for me.

We asked if it was possible to view a Penthouse suite at reception, and a few days later in the cruise we had a tour of one which had become vacant unexpectedly.

We both really liked it. The idea that it would be cramped at the living area from the photograph was wrong. It’s a lovely suite with a real wow bathroom. A bath is not a deal breaker in any way for us.

We would chose the Penthouse suite when we book another Explorer cruise.  Jean.

• Like 1