What do you use to carry stuff on excursions

We do a lot of beach and snorkeling excursions. I take a backpack with everything we need to carry around. We bring towels snorkel and mask, a few snacks, a watch set to ships time and other bare essentials. I have a backpack and it's usually stuffed by the time I have everything in it. It has elastic Straps on the sides I can roll and put a wet towel in and make room for a few souvenirs.

I was looking for a larger backpack. I don't want one of the camping ones as they are too big and have special back and shoulder cushion stuff. The other ones weren't any bigger than what I have. Shopping online it's hard to tell how much stuff I could cram in one.

I haven't really paid attention to what everyone else does. I remember seeing a lot of beach bags but I want something I can hang over my shoulder and duffle bags aren't as comfortable as a backpack.

What do you all do and has anyone seen a backpack that is larger without going into the camping style?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How many family members? How much are you schlepping?

Instead of a bigger bag, could those family member take their own bag? A three yo could have a small backpack, holding the sunscreen for the family. A six yo could carry a towel or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We do a lot of beach and snorkeling excursions. I take a backpack with everything we need to carry around. We bring towels snorkel and mask, a few snacks, a watch set to ships time and other bare essentials. I have a backpack and it's usually stuffed by the time I have everything in it. It has elastic Straps on the sides I can roll and put a wet towel in and make room for a few souvenirs.

I was looking for a larger backpack. I don't want one of the camping ones as they are too big and have special back and shoulder cushion stuff. The other ones weren't any bigger than what I have. Shopping online it's hard to tell how much stuff I could cram in one.

I haven't really paid attention to what everyone else does. I remember seeing a lot of beach bags but I want something I can hang over my shoulder and duffle bags aren't as comfortable as a backpack.

What do you all do and has anyone seen a backpack that is larger without going into the camping style?

Go shopping in a local luggage store and find one that you like and then buy it online. BTW now is a good time to look because everyone has them in stock for back to school. When comparing prices don't forget to add shipping to the cost if you have to pay it, because it might be cheaper from the brick and mortar store at home.

DH carries a lightweight backpack for the bulkier items like towels, or umbrellas, jackets (depending on where we're touring), sunscreen and water bottle. I carry either a tote bag (for beaches) or a cross body bag that holds books or tablets, cameras, wallet, etc. No reason for only one person to carry everything. There's usually plenty of room for purchases. But after this many years of travelling, we don't feel the need to buy a lot if things.

For anything beach or snorkel related, we all have a bag for our own snorkel gear...has enough room to bring a towel, sunscreen and a few extras as well. We pack light, so I have a waterproof pouch to hold my license and card and a bit of cash. The only other extra we would bring is a small camera.

I did actually get the CC shoulder bag and really like it...perfect size for the bare essentials.

• 2 weeks later...

The question gets a bit more complicated in Europe, especially when visiting churches. There are very strict limitations on what can and can not be brought into a religious site. You usually have to check backpacks or shopping bags and it can sometimes be difficult to get back to where you started your tour after you've exited the building. There is also the worry that something might have been removed from your backpack. All you can do if these sites are part of your day is severely limit what you take on the tour. Any solutions out there?

How many family members? How much are you schlepping?

Instead of a bigger bag, could those family member take their own bag? A three yo could have a small backpack, holding the sunscreen for the family. A six yo could carry a towel or two.

Agree so much with this. There is no need for parents to equal the family sherpa.

Husband carries one light weight back pack made for snorkel gear, sunscreen, water shoes, I carry a light weight back pack, with the camera, snacks , water bottles for each of us ,a waterproof pack for money and ship cards and any copies of I'D, etc.

Cori

I'll go the other way as far as schlepping is concerned. I always carried everything. Primarily because kids can be forgetful under the best of circumstances. Add in the excitement of traveling and new things...thanks, I'll handle that. Secondly, if I am serving as the pack mule, the wife can play of part of herd dog :D Of course, we are now empty nesters so I don't have much to carry.

I have a good backpack that we confiscated from our daughter after her semester of studying and seeing England and several other countries (she wasn't using it).

OP...if a regular backpack is a little tight, check out day packs at camping/backpacking supply places. They are a little larger but have better suspension...most even have a padded hip belt. They can get pricey, but if you take care of them will last forever.

We try to bring the minimum, but use a beach bag (often the one some ships give you) if we need to bring towels and other bulky stuff. Our snorkel equipment fits in a small bag so we bring that too if snorkeling is in the picture.

Love my K___ Bag with a lock on it. I realize chain could be cut, but feel that most people are discouraged by this. Also good to fasten top so no one can "look into it to take a phone" etc.

Just makes me feel a little more secure!

I found a basketball backpack that was a good size for us. The kids had a backpack with towels and I carried the big on with the important stuff in it. The basketball backpack had a zipper bottom that was a great place to put sandy shoes and towels.