Tropical Storm Earl

The Weather Channel is reporting that the tropical system forming might reach hurricane strength and affect the Western Carribbean by this Saturday. I'm wondering if this will affect Freedom of the Seas departing on Sunday, August 7th.

How/when do passengers find out about a change in route/ports?

Hey there.

As the safety and well-being of our guests are always our top priority, we continue to closely monitor the path and progress of Tropical Storm Earl. When it comes to bad weather, one of the greatest advantages of a cruise ship is its ability to move around and away from the weather system. Should we need to modify any arrivals, departures, or itineraries, we'll post that info on our website - www.royalcaribbean.com.

We hope this info helps.

If a storm were to affect their departure date then there will be a message on Royal's website and I believe that Royal also tries to contact the guests via e mail.

If it affects the ports of call they will find out on board from the Captain.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The Weather Channel is reporting that the tropical system forming might reach hurricane strength and affect the Western Carribbean by this Saturday. I'm wondering if this will affect Freedom of the Seas departing on Sunday, August 7th.

Too soon now to know exactly where it will go. Sometimes, the change in route/ports will be a "last minute" change.

They have re-routed the Empress.

We have our annual Birthday/Hurricane cruise coming up on 8/26 on MJ B2B. It's usually an interesting cruise. We've been joined by Isaac, Ike and Irene, among others. Never in any real danger. Once on MJ, we over-nighted in Key West with MN. We, and the crew, had lots of fun that night.

Rick and Deirdra

This is prime reason why we don't ever cruise during hurricane/tropical storm season. Growing up in central Florida, I know that these storms can pop up out of nowhere and although I don't mind an itinerary change, I'm not fond of rough waters..:eek:

We had our route changed not once, but twice, last August. We were notified of the first changes two days beforehand. We got email, text and recorded phone calls.

The second change, due to a different storm, was while we were onboard. A sea day then St. Thomas was changed to Curacao then a sea day. We had great weather all week except for the final sea day, which was pretty rocky, but nothing worse than we have experienced before.

The itinerary changes were a little frustrating as I had spent hours researching and booking private excursions in our original ports, but everything was canceled without issue. We found something to do in our new ports -- one a ship excursion, one a tour we found at the port and one we just walked around the town.

We are leaving next week to try again for the original itinerary and have the original excursions rebooked. Hoping for no changes, but prepared to roll with it if they occur.

Have a great cruise, wherever it goes!

Hey there.

As the safety and well-being of our guests are always our top priority, we continue to closely monitor the path and progress of Tropical Storm Earl. When it comes to bad weather, one of the greatest advantages of a cruise ship is its ability to move around and away from the weather system. Should we need to modify any arrivals, departures, or itineraries, we'll post that info on our website - www.royalcaribbean.com.

We hope this info helps.

Last August our Eastern Carib. cruise ( Freedom) became a Western Carib. cruise. We learned of the change abut 10 PM the evening prior to sailing. We received a text and an email.

We were happy to have the change and have a smooth cruise. Others on board were apparently not so happy!

M

Last August our Eastern Carib. cruise ( Freedom) became a Western Carib. cruise. We learned of the change abut 10 PM the evening prior to sailing. We received a text and an email.

We were happy to have the change and have a smooth cruise. Others on board were apparently not so happy!

M

I won't mind about that. I don't have my heart set on certain ports. Our excursions are refundable.

Well, on second thought, I will be sorry if we have to miss Maya Chan.

This is prime reason why we don't ever cruise during hurricane/tropical storm season. Growing up in central Florida, I know that these storms can pop up out of nowhere and although I don't mind an itinerary change, I'm not fond of rough waters..:eek:

Really, hurricanes just pop up out of nowhere? I don't think so with all the tracking tech they have now. Thunderstorms maybe, but not hurricanes or even tropical storms. :)