Loosing "onboard booking OBC" when moving sail date?

UniPac

Hi all!

I had made a booking and got $100 OBC as a benefit for booking onboard (common).

But then I had to change the sail date/ship (way before final payment) and RCL said that the OBC cannot be taken to the other cruise (but the deposit could).

Did anyone else notice this or was this a "human mistake"?

Thanks!

Hi all!

I had made a booking and got $100 OBC as a benefit for booking onboard (common).

But then I had to change the sail date/ship (way before final payment) and RCL said that the OBC cannot be taken to the other cruise (but the deposit could).

Thanks!

The OBC from booking on board should stay with the booking, even if you cange ship and sail date. However, if you changed to a sailing where there is no OBC, such as a 3-day sailing, then the OBC would be zero for that sailing.

Edited by clarea

Hi all!

Thanks!

One move, or more than one move? And what length cruise? (original and changed cruises)

Thanks for all the replies!

Change was from 7days to 7days, so that shouldn't be the issue.

But if changing more than one time makes a difference, that could be the reason why! Guess I read about it somewhere and now that you ask it came to my mind.

Please confirm that changing more than one time means loosing OBC.

btw, is it the same on Celebrity? Maybe you also now this.

When I changed our cruise dates, RCL informed me I would lose our OBC. However, the OBC showed up in the new booking as well. They were as surprised as I was. I guess all variations are possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the replies!

Change was from 7days to 7days, so that shouldn't be the issue.

But if changing more than one time makes a difference, that could be the reason why! Guess I read about it somewhere and now that you ask it came to my mind.

Please confirm that changing more than one time means loosing OBC.

btw, is it the same on Celebrity? Maybe you also now this.

It's a gray area. There was a time when they told us one change would lose OBC. Then they said one change was OK, but any more would lose the OBC. The last I heard there was no limit to changes. I don't think even they know their own policy anymore.

Hi all!

Thanks!

It might also be that your new cruise is booked under a promotion that will not allow it to be combined with the OBC from booking on board. I recently did that. Booked a cruise on board with OBC, found a better rate but the OBC would be removed. Still saved $460 even after losing the OBC. So check the promotion you booked under (if there was one).

Several years ago you could change many times and retain OBC for on board booking. Then about 2 ( ?) years ago, it was that you could make one change and retain OBC, which I have done 3 or 4 times without losing OBC. When booking a couple of cruises on board in June, I was advised that the old policy has been reinstated; that is you may make as many changes as you wish and still keep the OBC. So whether you keep OBC is dependent upon in what time frame you made the original booking. If this was OP's first change, the OBC should have been retained.

Edited by 39august

Several years ago you could change many times and retain OBC for on board booking. Then about 2 ( ?) years ago, it was that you could make one change and retain OBC, which I have done 3 or 4 times without losing OBC. When booking a couple of cruises on board in June, I was advised that the old policy has been reinstated; that is you may make as many changes as you wish and still keep the OBC. So whether you keep OBC is dependent upon in what time frame you made the original booking. If this was OP's first change, the OBC should have been retained.

Thanks for that info. I thought they might be the case. Good to know

Yes, if this is the first move, the whole OBC should remain with the booking.

If it is a second move, they *may* reduce it to the level of a Next Cruise ($25), but you should NOT lose it entirely.

OP, fight this! ;) :)

When I booked on board last summer I specifically asked about the OBC in the case of me moving my sail date or ship because I knew I planned to do that once the new dates were released. I was told I could keep it for one move only, so I took the OBC on the current cruise to ensure I didn't lose it.

Taking the OBC on the current cruise ensures that you don't lose anything if you move or cancel altogether. The OBC is equal to the deposit, making it so you basically get to reserve the cruise for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

[quote name=ColoradoGurl;50673781 ... Taking the OBC on the current cruise ensures that you don't lose anything if you move or cancel altogether. The OBC is equal to the deposit' date=' making it so you basically get to reserve the cruise for free.

[/quote]

If you cancel in this case, you would lose the deposit. I realize you are not out the money because you already got that money back as OBC on the present cruise. However, if you intend to take another cruise, then it is money lost because you won't have that deposit to apply.

Hi all!

Thanks!

Due to illness, and death in the family, we've had to change ours, twice. We have kept our $200.00 OBC.. Try calling and speaking to someone else.. Good Luck

So here I am and it worked out, saved my OBC to a new sail date!

The trick seems to be keeping the old booking number cause the OBC is "attached" to that. At least that is what I was told.

Thanks for everyone encouraging me to try it! :)

So here I am and it worked out, saved my OBC to a new sail date!

The trick seems to be keeping the old booking number cause the OBC is "attached" to that. At least that is what I was told.

Thanks for everyone encouraging me to try it! :)

Glad it worked out- That is correct that you need to keep the same booking number.

I just called C and A this morning and was told that the policy HAS changed and you can make multiple changes to a booking with future OBC without losing it.

That confirms what 39August was told on board.

Glad it worked out- That is correct that you need to keep the same booking number.

I just called C and A this morning and was told that the policy HAS changed and you can make multiple changes to a booking with future OBC without losing it.

That confirms what 39August was told on board.

Do you think that they will do that for me NOW after they have taken it away for a cruise that I haven't taken yet? :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Do you think that they will do that for me NOW after they have taken it away for a cruise that I haven't taken yet? :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Can't hurt to ask!! Nothing to lose- Good luck

Edit- Call and tell them you have heard that the policy has changed to allow changes and then when (and if as we know how consistent they are) they say yes give them your bookings that need to have the OBC put back on

Edited by molly361

Amazing....

So, the trick is, keep the old booking number. I may have to remember this important tidbit since we booked a med cruise for next year on anthem a couple of months ago and now I am having second thoughts because the cruise is a lot more than I had anticipated - and we haven't even booked excursions yet (tack on another 2 grand at minimum) AND haven't done air fare yet!

All things considered. Looking now for something stateside.