Mexico 2018 Large Price Increase

qsuzi

WOW!!!!! Prices for the same Mexico itinerary are $500 per person higher than in 2017 for an SY Suite (same class ship...Westerdam vs Oosterdam). The increase for the same itinerary was $100 pp in 2016 and $300 pp in 2017. The price does include Explore 4 perks as it did in 2016 and 2017.

Honestly we would rather choose HAL but at $1,500 total less in a comparable size suite with All Inclusive Beverage Package or $300 OBC (and 150 minutes pp internet and other Elite loyalty perks) looks like it's Princess for us.

Edited by qsuzi

I noticed a $500 increase in fare on a 2018 Panama Canal cruise between the same itinerary/ship over the 2017. My PCC booked the cruise without the Explore4 and saved us over $800 pp.

Suzi, why don't you join us on the Westerdam in October for a Mexican cruise?! It would be great to meet you and you'd get a less expensive rate!

(Sigh) On other threads, there are those who say they don't mind paying more if they get back some of their favorite HAL features. Be sure to report back if this is just a price increase or a trade-off for more old time preferences.

Edited by OlsSalt

Fallout from the situation in Europe?

That would be my guess.

Hmm,not sure. Our 2017 cruise on the Rotterdam went up early $2,000 (Cdn) per person after we booked before they added the Explore 4 and bumped it up some more. Mind you, in all honesty, the Collectors' Cruise pricing wasn't making sense compared to the two segments ;) , at least not to me.

It is a European cruise but since it's a Transatlantic arriving in Rotterdam,I suspect it may appeal to some Dutch clientele returning home after the winter?

(Sigh) On other threads, there are those who say they don't mind paying more if they get back some of their favorite HAL features. Be sure to report back if this is just a price increase or a trade-off for more old time preferences.

I have found Westerdam to be pricier compared to the other Vistas. Having sailed both the Oosterdam and the Westerdam, for us,the Westerdam delivered a far more superior experience (repetitively) and we paid the price Happily for the better experience ;)

It's interesting reading comments made. I just wanted to clarify that the $500 pp price increase was from 2017 to 2018.

Alberta Quilter, I sent you a private response. Kazu it is good to hear your feedback on the Oosterdam vs the Westerdam. Our next Mexico cruise is on the Westerdam.

It could just be an early pricing issue. I have seen it before and then in a few months it drops back. Be patient and wait for your price. Or you can book now, get the cabin you want and hope for a price drop - then cancel later if you do not get it.

We booked our Dec cruise on the Koningsdam about one year out when I saw what I thought was a good price. Since then the price has almost doubled, so you never know.

I've had the same experience as Dave - early high pricing and then a drop.

Sometimes there's just an unexplained wide difference in fares. Back in 2012, I wanted to do a Panama Canal cruise to celebrate a milestone birthday. I compared fares on the Zuiderdam and Coral Princess for almost the same itinerary. There was a $400-$500 difference, with HAL being higher. I opted for Princess, as the price difference was enough to pay my airfare and pre-cruise hotel. HAL's price never did come down.

Roz

We are on the Westerdam in March and the prices for an SS have gone up $1000 since we booked in April.
l

Welcome to my world :)

Ours went up last year too. I was just glad I booked when I did.

Same thing with next year's cruise and the increases were before Explore4 and then there was an additional increase ;)

... Honestly we would rather choose HAL but at $1,500 total less in a comparable size suite with All Inclusive Beverage Package or $300 OBC (and 150 minutes pp internet and other Elite loyalty perks) looks like it's Princess for us.

Seems like a "no-brainer" to me ... hope you enjoy your Princess cruise.

Smooth sailing ...

Have to check pricing very closely, especially if you are flexible as to cruise line.

I have found that Princess is frequently several hundred p.p. higher than HAL on comparable Caribbean sailings, but several hundred LESS on Mexican Riviera out of SoCal.

Lots of variables.

Have to check pricing very closely, especially if you are flexible as to cruise line.

I have found that Princess is frequently several hundred p.p. higher than HAL on comparable Caribbean sailings, but several hundred LESS on Mexican Riviera out of SoCal.

Lots of variables.

I agree.. We have HAL booked for next December (Westerdam - Mexican Riviera - Neptune Suite - Dec 1, 2017) Had hoped to be able to add Explore4 for little or no increase as we have in the past but this time it adds $800. That's not worth it for us. I'll keep watching, but we'll probably cancel this one.

I've also booked Princess (Ruby - Mexican Riviera - Full Suite - Dec 9, 2017) for the same price but also includes the Sip & Sail promotion. We'll probably keep this one.