Are we the only one?

My wife and I haven't cruised much, twice to Bermuda (NCL) and 6 to the Caribbean (RCCL).

Frankly, some of the ports in the Caribbean are becoming "old" ... there's only so many times that Megans Bay or Old San Juan can hold our interest at this point.

As such, what we've done the last few cruises is stay on the ship while (it seems) everyone else walk away to have their fun on land.

It's kind of nice to have an empty pool deck ... drink waiters at your beck and call ... go to a quiet gym or get a discount in the Spa ... have a "real" sit down lunch in the dining room without the loud din of voices and noise in the background.

We were wondering whether we are in the minority or not -- based on everyone's experience, do MOST of the passengers get off the ship in each port? We've seen small groups of folks stay onboard like us, but we so much enjoy the quiet time that we don't know how small of a passenger presence there is on Port Days.

Input, anyone?

Michael

FWIW -- the only TWO ports we will almost always go on land for are St. Maartin (gotta go to Maho Beach) and Grand Cayman.

Edited by MikeNJ1109

We have never stayed on the entire time in port but sometimes we only get off for a couple of hours and then get back on board.

On the ships we have sailed the main dining room is only open for lunch on sea days so we have never had that choice. Would love that choice though!

You are not alone. My husband and I do this as well, especially when there is stops at Nassau or ports we have been to frequently. Unless there is a new excursion we want to try out. We enjoy having the ship less crowded while people are enjoying the ports. There is just something about not having to fight for a deck chair or wait forever for bar service. There is also the added benefit of spa discounts and other discounts while in port.

Our upcoming cruise on the Harmony we will not get off the ship at all until it returns back to Fort Lauderdale. There will be so much to do on board and it is strictly a ship experience cruise for us since it is a brand new ship and our first Oasis class cruise.

It all depends on the Port and the Ship.

Many seem to stay on board the Mega-ships to take advantage of features that without the waits and crowds.

We always find something different to do at a port that we have been to before .

Perhaps Nassau is the exception to that :(

Edited by MCC retired

We always get off as the DH gets restless. Honestly I'd like to try staying on board once a cruise. I love sea days. The ports do get a bit old although we try different things all the time. Would save some money too although we don't spend a lot on excursions.

When DH was alive, we did stay aboard a lot (more than getting off the ship). Sometimes a quick "walk" on the pier, but mostly just enjoyed the quiet of the nearly-empty ship.

I've now been getting off and walking around the "familiar" ports; however, I have a feeling that phase will pass quickly and I'll be back to just enjoying time on the ship.

Besides, so much to explore on Anthem and Allure - WOW - feel like I'll need a month on each! :eek: :D

No, you are not the only ones! Some ports don't interest me at all...and you're right, the ship is lovely on port days! I'd rather have more port days on the ship, than sea days, where everyone is jockeying for space!

Hey, whatever "floats your boat."....ooopps..excuse the pun! We always get off to go to the beach and swim in the beautiful blue water. The blue caribbean water is probably the main reason that we go on cruises. We find a beach (after researching pre-cruise) and go for at least 3 or 4 hours to swim and walk the beach. A-I's are fun also because we like to go on a catamaran by ourselves. We are not shoppers, but we occasionally will walk around the town if it looks interesting. Then we return to the ship and swim in the pool. Can't wait for the next cruise...we fly to SJU in 9 weeks:) for the beautiful southern caribbean:)

Happy cruising!!!

Edited by ptf2009
spelling

We do stay on board sometimes. For us it depends on several factors. How tired we are that day, the weather (rainy or too darned hot for example), and whether there is anything we want to do ashore. We always go ashore in Cozumel since it is my favorite place. Grand Cayman we can take or leavebut usually go ashore for a little while. Same with Labadee. On our last cruise we sat in the "hot" (luke warm) tub and watched the folks out on Labadee in the 95+ heat. It was the first time all week that there were no kids in there. Also, to the point of another thread, we are not all that disappointed that the hot tubs are not really that hot on Caribbean itineraries.

You are not alone. I have found that, the more we cruise, the less important the ports are to us. Now, the ship is the main reason that we cruise. To be honest, with very few exceptions, I wouldn't care if the ship never even went into port. It could just sail around in great circles and I would be a-ok with that.

I think this is a natural progression of experienced cruisers. I have heard these sentiments from other, more senior cruisers, throughout the years...and now I find myself to be one of those !

That's the great thing about cruising,choices,there are lots of them.

We are looking on trip advisor for some different excursions to see a little more of where we are going,that's us,if you like to stay on board,enjoy.But just to get off and walk around the port area,I'd rather stay onboard.

We always go into port at least for a little while. Sometimes we discover something new and sometimes we just walk around a familiar place and relax. You never know what new experience you might have in a port no matter how many times you have been there.

We definitely stay on if it's a port that disinterests us - it's wonderful to take your time going to breakfast and still enough time to secure your preferred seating on the pool decks. But we've never stayed on for an entire itinerary, even if we've been to the ports before.

My wife and I haven't cruised much, twice to Bermuda (NCL) and 6 to the Caribbean (RCCL).

Frankly, some of the ports in the Caribbean are becoming "old" ... there's only so many times that Megans Bay or Old San Juan can hold our interest at this point.

As such, what we've done the last few cruises is stay on the ship while (it seems) everyone else walk away to have their fun on land.

It's kind of nice to have an empty pool deck ... drink waiters at your beck and call ... go to a quiet gym or get a discount in the Spa ... have a "real" sit down lunch in the dining room without the loud din of voices and noise in the background.

We were wondering whether we are in the minority or not -- based on everyone's experience, do MOST of the passengers get off the ship in each port? We've seen small groups of folks stay onboard like us, but we so much enjoy the quiet time that we don't know how small of a passenger presence there is on Port Days.

Now I will say we really don't care about Nassau and have been there so many times we do stay on the ship there. But not any other island with the exception of Falmouth which is just a sorry port

Input, anyone?

Michael

FWIW -- the only TWO ports we will almost always go on land for are St. Maartin (gotta go to Maho Beach) and Grand Cayman.

Southern Caribbean are you kidding me???? We LOVE STT, SMX, Antigua, St Lucie and Barbados. Go to the same beaches pretty much all the time. STT we change b/t Sapphire and Coki SMX has to be Orient, Antigua is always Dickenson Bay, St lucia is always Reduit, and Barbados is always Accrua

\

We love beaches and never tire of them. We have been to these islands so many times we don't tour anymore, just hit our favorite beaches and chill for the day

Now Nassau we have been to so many times and could care less,so we typically stay on the ship

Edited by karena1

My first cruise (20 years ago this month, actually) we made sure we had a lot of "port" days, because we were so worried that we'd be bored. Now, not only do I favor itineraries with lots of sea days, but on my last three cruises, I never left the ship. Granted, there is a lot more to do on the mega-ships now than there was on the Monarch in 1996, but still, I've grown to think of the ship itself as the destination, and sitting on my balcony watching the sea go by as the real "event" for which I paid my fare.

Edited by Lizcourt
typo