Are we the only one?

I absolutely love staying on board. It's almost like another sea day for me, only the shops aren't open. Nassau especially, there are a lot of folks that stay. I look at it as if at least half the passengers get off, then your day will be good. Great massage port specials too :D

Maybe it's time you try a new route. The "standards" of Nassau, labadee, Cozumel, Puerto Rico, st maarten" etc that are used for almost every ship leaving from Florida and Texas do get old, which is why I don't have any trips booked on those routes in the near future. Try the southern route, you'll get to try a whole new set of islands that you won't get to on those other routes (Barbados, Antigua, Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Martinique, st Lucia, Dominica). Or try the European routes, or the transatlantic routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

We always get off as the DH gets restless. Honestly I'd like to try staying on board once a cruise. I love sea days. The ports do get a bit old although we try different things all the time. Would save some money too although we don't spend a lot on excursions.

This is me, I have to get off the ship. I can't be on-board more than 2 days without getting off the ship or I start to freak out. I could never do a TA. Last trip on the Breakaway doing the Pt. Canaveral - Nassau - Private Island run, my mom & sister stayed on board and I walked off an just walked around in port for a bit.

Didn't they used to have cruises to nowhere?

DH likes ports but I love sea days and staying on the ship. Wish I could talk him into a repositioning cruise from or to Europe where there's usually 6 or 7 sea days in a row.

We were also just discussing this. On our upcoming cruise the ship is the destination. We are going to be on the ship more than off.

I find its more than just the shops closed. Limited activities, food, etc..

Plus if it's hot, there's not much of a breeze to cool you off

Oops, meant to quote the post below.

Edited by John&LaLa

My wife and I haven't cruised much, twice to Bermuda (NCL) and 6 to the Caribbean (RCCL).

Frankly, some of the ports in the Caribbean are becoming "old" ... there's only so many times that Megans Bay or Old San Juan can hold our interest at this point.

As such, what we've done the last few cruises is stay on the ship while (it seems) everyone else walk away to have their fun on land.

It's kind of nice to have an empty pool deck ... drink waiters at your beck and call ... go to a quiet gym or get a discount in the Spa ... have a "real" sit down lunch in the dining room without the loud din of voices and noise in the background.

We were wondering whether we are in the minority or not -- based on everyone's experience, do MOST of the passengers get off the ship in each port? We've seen small groups of folks stay onboard like us, but we so much enjoy the quiet time that we don't know how small of a passenger presence there is on Port Days.

Input, anyone?

Michael

FWIW -- the only TWO ports we will almost always go on land for are St. Maartin (gotta go to Maho Beach) and Grand Cayman.

Typically, we will stay on board if it's some place we've been to several times. It's a great time to sit by the pool because it's not so crowded. So, no, you're not the only ones that enjoy staying on the ship. We do it alot.

My first cruise (20 years ago this month, actually) we made sure we had a lot of "port" days, because we were so worried that we'd be bored. Now, not only do I favor itineraries with lots of sea days, but on my last three cruises, I never left the ship. Granted, there is a lot more to do on the mega-ships now than there was on the Monarch in 1996, but still, I've grown to think of the ship itself as the destination, and sitting on my balcony watching the sea go by as the real "event" for which I paid my fare.

Sea days are the best! Sailing Anthem tomorrow. Third time on this 5 day Bermuda. I keep saying I cannot wait for Sunday. Me, my balcony, music, room service and the sea!!!!! That's it. I'm in heaven.

Edited by marbat105

Eastern and western yes no way we go ashore. Only do the southern Caribbean where there are great islands!! Bonaire, etc! Love them!!

Freedom is doing a new western route now. :D

In general, the only place I really don't want to get off is Nassau and Falmouth

If we've been to the port numerous times and done the excursions we're interested in, we will walk off the ship, do a bit of shopping, return and enjoy the empty ship. We have a short cruise planned that includes Nassau and one of my daughters has already said she won't be leaving the ship. I'll do some of my "junk" shopping with the other daughter. My Grandson and his friend will be going to Blue Lagoon for the dolphins. He's been there, done that but this will be his friend's first cruise and she can't wait to see the dolphins up close. Falmouth is another port that doesn't do anything for me. I do the usual "junk" shopping and return to enjoy the ship. Sometimes we will repeat an excursion in places we've been to before if it's been a long time and we want to do the same excursion again. Some excursions we would do over and over again, like a sail and snorkel that we loved, so it just depends. I'm one of the few that isn't impressed with the private islands anymore. We've been and been...it's HOT, the beach is rocky and I HATE trying to find a place to sit and eat while fighting off the flies. I'm over the private island in an hour. I prefer sitting at the pool.

We love highly port intensive cruises which is why we love the Southern Caribbean. We will never do Alaska, hate anywhere where I cannot go to a beach and hubby lived in Alaska in the military and hated it. I am from the north, don't want to see snow which is why I have not lived there since 1981 and why we live in Florida.

Hubby was born in Germany during the war and right or wrong has a 13 year old memory of Europe and never wants to go there, so that is not happening.

My bucket list is the South Pacific but don't want to go out of New Zealand or Australia (another place DH will NEVER go). I want to go to Tahiti and cruise from there.

No desire to go to Hawaii, I love the caribbean so much and so that is the only place we cruise

But since we are beach people I will take the beach in a gorgeous caribbean port vs laying at the pool on the ship any day of the week (except Nassau)

My wife and I haven't cruised much, twice to Bermuda (NCL) and 6 to the Caribbean (RCCL).

Frankly, some of the ports in the Caribbean are becoming "old" ... there's only so many times that Megans Bay or Old San Juan can hold our interest at this point.

As such, what we've done the last few cruises is stay on the ship while (it seems) everyone else walk away to have their fun on land.

It's kind of nice to have an empty pool deck ... drink waiters at your beck and call ... go to a quiet gym or get a discount in the Spa ... have a "real" sit down lunch in the dining room without the loud din of voices and noise in the background.

We were wondering whether we are in the minority or not -- based on everyone's experience, do MOST of the passengers get off the ship in each port? We've seen small groups of folks stay onboard like us, but we so much enjoy the quiet time that we don't know how small of a passenger presence there is on Port Days.

Input, anyone?

Michael

FWIW -- the only TWO ports we will almost always go on land for are St. Maartin (gotta go to Maho Beach) and Grand Cayman.

It drives me nuts to stay on the ship on port days, but I get very antsy and need to get off the ship when possible.

We've cruised in the Caribbean more times than I can count and I think our upcoming cruise in December is going to be our last for a while. In fact, we might take a break from cruising all together next year and do more land based vacations.

On Allure in April I actually got off for the first time in 5 or 6 cruises. Been to Nassau way too many times. Got off in Falmouth and went to a "rustic" local bbq place. Had jerk chicken. Went to Margaritaville (not my call) and had a couple foo foo drinks that probably had little or no booze in them. I am not a beach person. I prefer poolside with a rum runner. :D With the current push on booze packages I find hanging at the pool is very relaxing and the burgers are right there. :D Put me down for the 10 night to nowhere voyage. Five cruises in the que. MSC Divina in October, Silhouette in January, the IOTS in Februsry, Equinox on October 2017 followed by MSC Seaside March 0f 2018.

I guess the lesson of this thread is each to their own. My husband and I have probably cruised twice a year for the past 20 years. In addition to the Caribbean, we have also really enjoyed cruising in the Mediterranean, Baltic Sea, Black Sea and Alaska plus river cruises. However, we typically also take at least 2 independent trips a year, ranging from sites in the USA to countries throughout the world. I have to confess, I love planning our independent trips which we enjoy more than cruising (I can get seasick in rough weather, and dislike shopping). We both feel that a day in port, unless it's a small island, does not give you that much exposure to a destination or immersion in its culture. Still, we continue to cruise as it is such a cost-effective and relaxing means of travel, certainly less stressful and challenging than traveling on our own.

We've always explored the ports even though we've been to the Caribbean many times. However, on our last Allure cruise, I did not get off in Falmouth. I dislike Jamaica and hubby just walked around the port area and came back to the ship. I wish Royal would not include Jamaica or Nassau as stops on a cruise. I enjoyed the quietness of the ship while others were in port and I'll most likely stay aboard again if we have to stop in Nassau or Jamaica.

I only get off for excursions. Usually there is one I want to do and really enjoy doing them. I don't find the cruise pools all that inviting anyways, so no real desire to hang out in the pool (though sometimes it's nice). I agree with another poster that suggest an A-I resort if I just wanted to hang by the pool and what not. Even non-A-I - I'll just go to Vegas, Keys, or Bahamas.

But that's the whole idea - lots of options. Sometimes we want to cruise, and check out the different ports. I wouldn't cruise to the same ports over and over, personally.

It may have been Royal, or I read it somewhere, that about 35% of the passengers remain on the ship in ports.

Edited by BNBR

Freedom is doing a new western route now. :D

In general, the only place I really don't want to get off is Nassau and Falmouth

Agree on Nassau but I still get off in Falmouth to visit La Casa Del Habano. If it wasn't for that one store I'd stay onboard.

Same here! We maybe get off to buy souvenirs/trinkets and then right back on the ship!

That's us too! And now that drink packages are the thing, we might stay on board and skip the sales pitch at the port all together!!!

:D

Annette~

PHILIPSBURG, ST. MAARTEN 7:00 PM

SAT GUSTAVIA, ST. BARTHÉLEMY 8:00 AM 11:59 PM

SUN GUSTAVIA, ST. BARTHÉLEMY 12:01 PM 1:00 PM

MON SOPER'S HOLE, TORTOLA, B.V.I. 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

MON JOST VAN DYKE, GREAT HARBOUR, B.V.I. 7:00 PM 11:59 PM

TUE JOST VAN DYKE, GREAT HARBOUR, B.V.I. 12:01 AM 3:00 PM

TUE VIRGIN GORDA, PRICKLY PEAR BEACH, B.V.I 6:00 PM 11:59 PM

WED VIRGIN GORDA, PRICKLY PEAR BEACH, B.V.I 12:01 AM 5:00 PM

THU FALMOUTH HARBOUR, ANTIGUA 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

FRI PHILIPSBURG, ST. MAARTEN 6:00 AM

Windstar Windsurf

Great Cruise

I sometimes really enjoy staying on the ship. If I've already been to a port numerous times, I'll sleep in, take my time heading down to breakfast or lunch, relax in the hot tub, and just enjoy taking things at my own pace. I also like to take advantage of the spa discounts on port days.