Why so much negativity?

babs135

Put me in the camp of largely ignoring it.

For whatever reason, people let not having a Coke ruin their vacation and think we all need to be aware of just how unhappy they are about it. Maybe they have dreams of being the hero that incites a riot against corporate. I don't know.

But me? I'm excited about my next three vacations (land and sea). None of them are perfect (e.g., paying $120 for a really crappy hotel room). But I grumbled to my spouse about it for about ten minutes and am now over it. I didn't need to go find a message board to grumble on about it. I'm moving on to looking forward to the GREAT things that are part of the trips.

Put me in the camp of largely ignoring it.

For whatever reason, people let not having a Coke ruin their vacation and think we all need to be aware of just how unhappy they are about it. Maybe they have dreams of being the hero that incites a riot against corporate. I don't know.

But me? I'm excited about my next three vacations (land and sea). None of them are perfect (e.g., paying $120 for a really crappy hotel room). But I grumbled to my spouse about it for about ten minutes and am now over it. I didn't need to go find a message board to grumble on about it. I'm moving on to looking forward to the GREAT things that are part of the trips.

For some of us we have sensory and taste issues that many people don't understand. So when we don't like something, we really don't like something. It is very hard to explain that sensation to people who just don't get it. I am one of those, and you have no idea how it irks the crap out of me that I can't get people to understand.

I drink Mtn Dew, I don't drink any dark colored sodas - no Pepsi, No coke, No Dr Pepper, no rootbeer, I can't stand them. So for some of us it is a problem. Others have medical reasons they many not drink something. My sister is limited to only having Rootbeer (and it must have no caffeine) as the only soda she is to drink, the only juice she can drink is blueberry or pear - ever gotten either of those on a cruise???

For some of us we have sensory and taste issues that many people don't understand. So when we don't like something, we really don't like something. It is very hard to explain that sensation to people who just don't get it. I am one of those, and you have no idea how it irks the crap out of me that I can't get people to understand.

I drink Mtn Dew, I don't drink any dark colored sodas - no Pepsi, No coke, No Dr Pepper, no rootbeer, I can't stand them. So for some of us it is a problem. Others have medical reasons they many not drink something. My sister is limited to only having Rootbeer (and it must have no caffeine) as the only soda she is to drink, the only juice she can drink is blueberry or pear - ever gotten either of those on a cruise???

Just curious (and I'm not being snarky here, really am curious) what do you and your sister do when you go to a land-based restaurant? I assume it's easier for you than your sister since restaurants generally carry 7-Up or Sprite and sometimes orange soda. But, I don't think I've ever seen a menu with blueberry or pear juice on it. Most restaurants have root beer, and that's generally caffeine-free (is there a brand root beer with caffeine in it? Never seen one, but there could be, of course).

Personally, I don't drink soda that contains caffeine (which is one of the reasons I drink root beer) and I drink only diet soda. So, generally I can't get my preference in a restaurant because the only diet most still have is diet coke or pepsi.

Anyway, I do understand that the new policy is more important to some than to others. I just don't understand those who are so up in arms about it that they say it will ruin their vacations. Of course, they don't need me to understand or validate their feelings and I'm not criticizing them for having them.

Most restaurants have root beer, and that's generally caffeine-free (is there a brand root beer with caffeine in it? Never seen one, but there could be, of course).

Yes, some root beer has caffeine. A&W and Bargs (a coke product and what is funny is that their sugar free Bargs is caffeine free, just not their regular) has it and I think Dads. The only reason I happen to know, is that many years ago, I invited my neighbors, who were Mormon, over to dinner. They had said they didn't drink any beverages that had caffeine, but I had remembered having a root beer when at their house. I purchase the root beer for the dinner and after they left I was talking with a friend and she asked what brand and I told her and she said, well they are going to be up all night, that brand has caffeine. From then on, I checked the contents of any root beer I was going to serve them. Edited by NLH Arizona

Like you, I tend to be positive, but I will still criticize NCL when they deserve it. Still, I look at the bottom line, what am I getting for what dollars. Competition is important. NCL is in the mix. Right now I have an NCL cruise coming up, one Celebrity cruise booked for next year and two on Royal Caribbean for 2018.

Bottom line does it for us also. Just paid a total of $1,169 for a 7 day inside cabin on the Gem out of San Juan. Paying less than $600 each, including port fees, plus the usual extras of excursions and WiFi included, the whole soda/water thing is meaningless to us.

And that's fine, be frustrated, but maybe put the drama in perspective. I don't like hearing about it constantly, and in such dramatic fashion like it's life or death ("I can't drink anything but Coke! I'm going to cancel my cruise!"...really? Nothing else?). Not saying you in particular, I'm talking about those that use every other thread as an opportunity to bring up how angry they are about it, considering cancelling, etc.). And I know I'm not the only one.

I HATE mint, to the point I won't use minty toothpaste at home. Makes me gag. Minty gum and mint chewers near me? I literally grit my teeth, plug my nose and have to leave the area. If NCL told me I couldn't bring my own toothpaste and theirs was minty? I'd deal with it, grumble to my spouse, maybe write a letter to corporate or one post here saying the policy stinks, and not enter a continual diatribe at every opportunity.

Yes, some root beer has caffeine. A&W and Bargs (a coke product and what is funny is that their sugar free Bargs is caffeine free, just not their regular) has it and I think Dads. The only reason I happen to know, is that many years ago, I invited my neighbors, who were Mormon, over to dinner. They had said they didn't drink any beverages that had caffeine, but I had remembered having a root beer when at their house. I purchase the root beer for the dinner and after they left I was talking with a friend and she asked what brand and I told her and she said, well they are going to be up all night, that brand has caffeine. From then on, I checked the contents of any root beer I was going to serve them.

Well, how about that. Had no idea. But, then, it's diet Barqs we have at work, so there you go. Thanks for the info.

And that's fine, be frustrated, but maybe put the drama in perspective. I don't like hearing about it constantly, and in such dramatic fashion like it's life or death ("I can't drink anything but Coke! I'm going to cancel my cruise!"...really? Nothing else?). Not saying you in particular, I'm talking about those that use every other thread as an opportunity to bring up how angry they are about it, considering cancelling, etc.). And I know I'm not the only one.

I HATE mint, to the point I won't use minty toothpaste at home. Makes me gag. Minty gum and mint chewers near me? I literally grit my teeth, plug my nose and have to leave the area. If NCL told me I couldn't bring my own toothpaste and theirs was minty? I'd deal with it, grumble to my spouse, maybe write a letter to corporate or one post here saying the policy stinks, and not enter a continual diatribe at every opportunity.

I actually cancelled 3 cruises, and I LIKE Pepsi products. I have had it with the 'customer last' ethos that has become NCL. The goal now is revenue management. The current leadership team is out to extract every cent it can out of a captive audience, and it is starting to show. They have made a multitude of changes recently that show only complete disregard for the customer base. And that is the point that those of us that have cancelled are trying to make.

Edited by UPNYGuy

Just curious (and I'm not being snarky here, really am curious) what do you and your sister do when you go to a land-based restaurant? I assume it's easier for you than your sister since restaurants generally carry 7-Up or Sprite and sometimes orange soda. But, I don't think I've ever seen a menu with blueberry or pear juice on it. Most restaurants have root beer, and that's generally caffeine-free (is there a brand root beer with caffeine in it? Never seen one, but there could be, of course).

Personally, I don't drink soda that contains caffeine (which is one of the reasons I drink root beer) and I drink only diet soda. So, generally I can't get my preference in a restaurant because the only diet most still have is diet coke or pepsi.

Anyway, I do understand that the new policy is more important to some than to others. I just don't understand those who are so up in arms about it that they say it will ruin their vacations. Of course, they don't need me to understand or validate their feelings and I'm not criticizing them for having them.

Barq's root beer has caffeine added. (Of course after I post I see NLH Arizona's response.)

Edited by sparks1093

Barq's root beer has caffeine added. (Of course after I post I see NLH Arizona's response.)

But, not the diet! And, I drink only diet soda. :D From their website:

Barqs Root Beer is distributed by the Coca Cola Company and is one of the few caffeinated root beers sold. Barq's root beer was invented by Edward C. Barq in 1898. The sugar-free version of Barqs Root Beer is caffeine free. Barq's makes both French Vanilla and Red Creme Soda as well.

I'm enjoying Diet Barqs right now. ;)

I actually cancelled 3 cruises, and I LIKE Pepsi products. I have had it with the 'customer last' ethos that has become NCL. The goal now is revenue management. The current leadership team is out to extract every cent it can out of a captive audience, and it is starting to show. They have made a multitude of changes recently that show only complete disregard for the customer base. And that is the point that those of us that have cancelled are trying to make.

Thank you.

I hate it when people cherry-pick one specific complaint (usually whatever the most recent item on The List is) and act like people are nuts for being upset over that one tiny thing, ignoring the context of the entire last 18 months.

But, not the diet! And, I drink only diet soda. :D From their website:

Barqs Root Beer is distributed by the Coca Cola Company and is one of the few caffeinated root beers sold. Barq's root beer was invented by Edward C. Barq in 1898. The sugar-free version of Barqs Root Beer is caffeine free. Barq's makes both French Vanilla and Red Creme Soda as well.

I'm enjoying Diet Barqs right now. ;)

I learn something new every day.:)

That is actually quite ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stock indexes hitting new highs and coasting at the moment, profit-taking for some investors & we are happy with our portfolio's performance.

Unfortunately, the negativity is reflected with this week's NCLH earning released and most importantly, its pullback on forward looking outlook, especially for 2017 and beyond ... granted that many elements are far beyond management (BOD & senior leadership) influence (not directly under their "command & control"). The reality is that being 92% institutioanl owned, the funds are selling & unloading to decrease their portfolio's exposure, lowering their price target & adjusting their recommendations ahead - won't be surprised if in the days & weeks ahead, it will be downgraded to hold ... Stock is basically bottom-fishing, almost at a 52 weeks low. Short sellers are still making their money.

Being overly optimistic in their market pricing & capacity is translating into more challenges with occupancies and onboard spending not meeting targets ... and management is sailing into unchartered waters, literally. (Case in point, just got our CCL email about the Fathom's 7 day to DR & Cuba, balconies @ $249 p/p thru 9/25/2016 sailings) NCL is going sail into the tail-wind alongside ?

Q2 earnings were just out, but calendar-wise, it's almost half-way into Q3 already and I'm sure they have their weekly internal stats & know their challenges. The "Camel" is still standing but to win the trust, faith & confidence of some of NCL's once loyal customers & ex-cheerleaders, it's going to take more than a few knee-jerk tricks and reversals of some of less popular moves, restructuring of customer services & I.T. Dept ... especially on corporate communications, of which marketing is just one aspect. Flame on & feel free to disagree, just my/our opinions & highly subjective - as valid as believed.

Edited by mking8288

I know diddly-squat about the stock market and all of these numbers and acronyms – however – a common sense approach tells me this.

NCLH have a load of debt. They need cash now to pay for it. They are screwing as much cash as they can out of their customers to cover this. In the short term this might keep them ticking over.

In the long term, a business needs a certain proportion of reliable, repeat business. NCL seems to have made a policy decision to ditch their long term, core, loyal customer base. They are also creating a section of ‘one and done’ customers by their ill-thought-out and ill-communicated customer unfriendly changes.

IMHO, their long term prospects are not good unless they change their ethos. The adverse publicity/word of mouth/social media reputation is tanking as badly as their stock price. Their competitors must be laughing themselves silly at the number of times in the last couple of years that NCL have shot themselves in the foot reputationally speaking.

There are a limited numbers of new cruisers out there – there is a highly competitive market to grab those new cruisers. NCL is not making themselves look attractive to those new cruisers, especially once those new cruisers experience the woeful shore-side customer service and poor communications and the constant erosion of the product.

They have lost sight of the fact that potential customers have access to information and reviews like never before. Customer service industries live or die on their reputation and perceived value. NCL is ticking neither of those boxes at the moment.

It saddens me to see a one time leader and innovator in the industry reduced to this.

May be but some mass cruise lines like NCL are banking on the Chinese to right the ship and their balance sheet. China is still a growing cruise market and their cash rich consumers have a lot of yuan to throw around. Likely more than enough to replace every disgruntled NCL cruiser here on cc.

May be but some mass cruise lines like NCL are banking on the Chinese to right the ship and their balance sheet. China is still a growing cruise market and their cash rich consumers have a lot of yuan to throw around. Likely more than enough to replace every disgruntled NCL cruiser here on cc.

Maybe, but it would make sound business sense to keep a bunch of repeat cruisers keeping you ticking over in case the Chinese market goes belly up.

The College I used to work for spent a lot of effort trying to recruit Chinese students (and other Far Eastern students). UK tweaked the visa rules and the whole house of cards came crashing down.

The Chinese Government could easily make a comparatively innocuous change to some rule (maybe currency controls?) that would have an inordinate effect on the foreign cruise industry.

What about a Chinese version of the PVSA to 'protect' an embryonic Chinese cruise industry?

Eggs and singular baskets spring to mind.

Maybe, but it would make sound business sense to keep a bunch of repeat cruisers keeping you ticking

Not if these customers don't bring in the revenue needed to maximize ones ROI. If they don't the prudent thing to do is fire the customer. And there is nothing wrong with that.

And they are gamblers

Not if these customers don't bring in the revenue needed to maximize ones ROI. If they don't the prudent thing to do is fire the customer. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with that, until you have no customers so then your ROI/revenue is zero - did you read all of my post?

Smart move is to secure your new market first, then FO the non profitable old customers. Carts and horses spring to mind.

A simple factor to look at is the fact that CCL stock is rising with the stock market while NCLH is dropping slightly in a rising market.

The trading average numbers have settled down in the last couple of days, so maybe the "big boys" have adjusted their exposure. We will see what happens next week.