No more balcony/suite discount within 6 months(as of Sept 1,2016)

PH8

Just curious - will this cause anyone posting here to cruise either:

1. Less often

2. In inside or outside cabins

3. With other lines

If the answer is no, Royal has no reason to change this back...

We won't cruise less often or downgrade our accommodations. But we have been sailing with other lines since RCI abandoned the Left Coast (other than Alaska and a couple of coastal cruises in the fall) and the tend to get our close-in business, anyway. If RCI ever comes back, then we will put them up against Princess dollar for dollar and go with the more reasonably-priced cruise. The balcony discount could have tipped the scales in RCI's favor, but I doubt that will happen in the future.

I am very disappointed with the change, but what really infuriates me is how it was sent out. On an announcement citing Customer Appreciation Week.

I wonder how many laughs Royal's Marketing Group and Vicki Freed had when putting this flyer together. We appreciate you spending your money and your loyalty and by the way say good-bye to your balcony discount.

And that it wasn't even sent to C&A members, just to TAs - I wonder what percent of Platinum and higher use a TA?

In the past I have been able to buy 8 at a time 4 in my name and 4 in my wife's name. I didn't try to buy more and they didn't say there was a limit but who knows it may be dependent on who is at the desk.

Could be. I was told "three". A few years ago I was on a B2B2B2B and bought three on each, because that was how they limited me. Those are long gone, of course.

Just a FYI, due to the amount of comments regarding the balcony discount. I was informed a by Diamond Plus C&A rep, Royal has set up a website to collect your comments:

http://www.casexecutivecomments.com

I responded, but I can't help but feel like using the link is doing exactly what RCI wants everyone to do...post their displeasure on a hidden site instead of posting publicly on social media.:(

But you get a one category upgrade if you are Captains Club so very good!

From the Celebrity Website....

• One category upgrade through AquaClass® (prior to sailing, when available, restrictions apply) ***

Note the words "when available, restrictions apply".

Have you had a complimentary one category upgrade recently?

Besides posting to the supplied website address, I wrote a letter to Michael Bayley's Miami Corporate address. I will see if I get a response. I still try to communicate positive and negative comments the good old fashion business way. (short, cogent, precise letter) Did it for thirty-five plus years.

• One category upgrade through AquaClass® (prior to sailing, when available, restrictions apply) ***

Yes, on both of my Celebrity reservations

I'm top tier with Princess and really enjoy their ships...too bad they don't have cruises closer to us..We're spoiled.

Agree totally. Princess is a great line and I wish they had more from NY since we choose not to fly. They only cruise from Red Hook in September/October to Canada/NE.

Theresa

This will save us money in the long run. We have booked many balconies and not used them much or at all. We did a cruise recently in an oceanview. It was fine. Without the balcony discount a lot of our recent cruises, would have been fine with an oceanview or even an inside. Size of the cabin is our main issue with insides and oceanviews.

I am glad this information was posted. We are D members and tend to book within the 6 month timeframe. Frankly I have looked for RCCL cruises exclusively. As a result of this change I will broaden my consideration of cruises. The risk to the company is that people like me will like the experience of another cruise line. Perhaps they are trying to shift their mix to more newer cruisers.... less cost... eg onboard diamond lounge liquor expense. Anyway if I find I like another line once... I might like them even more a second time... then I am tied into their loyalty program.... seems this sort of thing could be short sighted. We will see.

Any recommendation on other lines sailing out of Ft Lauderdale, Port Canaveral and anywhere in South East

I am glad this information was posted. We are D members and tend to book within the 6 month timeframe. Frankly I have looked for RCCL cruises exclusively. As a result of this change I will broaden my consideration of cruises. The risk to the company is that people like me will like the experience of another cruise line. Perhaps they are trying to shift their mix to more newer cruisers.... less cost... eg onboard diamond lounge liquor expense. Anyway if I find I like another line once... I might like them even more a second time... then I am tied into their loyalty program.... seems this sort of thing could be short sighted. We will see.

Any recommendation on other lines sailing out of Ft Lauderdale, Port Canaveral and anywhere in South East

Try Princess. We love the Regal Princess and it sails out of Ft. Lauderdale part of the year.

I responded, but I can't help but feel like using the link is doing exactly what RCI wants everyone to do...post their displeasure on a hidden site instead of posting publicly on social media.:(

Totally agree that is what RCI wants people to do. I have chosen not to do so and have posted on Facebook and will use the website and email as well.

Watch what you wish for because you might just get it. Royal can take away the balcony discount at any time. I do believe Royal is the only cruise line that gives a balcony discount so you should be happy with what you get.

I find the comments about newbie cruisers and booking inside cabins snooty as if your money is different from others. So go ahead and cruise with another line; there's nothing wrong with that because we've done it. Talk about being entitled. Different strokes for different folks.

This spring we cruised with Princess for the first time after being loyal to Royal for many years. We totally enjoyed our Princess experience. So much so, that we've booked another.

We will definitely continue to book with our pocketbook. The seemingly continual changes in Royal's loyalty program appears to be one sided, and it's not aimed to our side. If we book a cruise less than six months out, Royal will no longer be the only line we will check out.

It's not combinable with special fares ... and since every fare on Royal is on (fake) sale all the time ... well you can figure it out.

I find the sales to be somewhat of a joke. It somehow :rolleyes: figures out to be the fare I got when checking on the web before I called.

I offer sympathy to the many people close enough to drive who take advantage of cruises closer to the sail date than 6 months. I cannot imagine RCI's logic in doing this since it mostly has an effect on the many people who regularly see a deal of sorts, can drive to the port, and fill their ships.

I almost always book further out than 6 months and always have to fly, so closer cruises might have a good price, but the airfare is higher.

Royal can take away the balcony discount at any time. I do believe Royal is the only cruise line that gives a balcony discount so you should be happy with what you get. .
!

Of course, RCI can take away the balcony discount at any time. However, before doing so a consumer centric and savvy company which is interested in protecting it's brand equity will look at the response and effects from earlier, similar moves. In my opinion, it is much more likely to be an easier decision down the road to remove the discount completely if everyone just stays silent now, regardless of how strongly they feel about the erosion in benefits. It is your right to be happy with what you get but it does not necessarily follow that it is the right course for anyone else, let alone everyone else, to just suck it up and take it.

Yes for us, too, and one was recent. Realize this is only about $40, or so, per cabin.