Wife in icu sick unable to cruise in 3 weeks

Hi me and my wife are schedule to cruise sept 4 Liberty of the seas but she is currently hospitalized in icu with pneumonia and abdominal bleeding had emergency surgery will I be able to get a refund? Or postpone to later date I have insurance through travel guard

Hi me and my wife are schedule to cruise sept 4 Liberty of the seas but she is currently hospitalized in icu with pneumonia and abdominal bleeding had emergency surgery will I be able to get a refund? Or postpone to later date I have insurance through travel guard

You should be able to Keep every scrap of expense, and let Travel Guard or your TA know now. You may be able to postpone. Just ask. Sorry you won't be going but health first!

:( Sorry for the tough time you're going through. Prayer said for your wife and you. Don't know all of the particulars of your insurance policy. Should be able to get a refund. There will be some paperwork involved. Give Travel Guard a call. Wishing your wife a full recovery.

Yes that's what insurance is for! I have had to cancel a cruise before but was insured with Travelguard. They refunded me in full.

I hope your wife feels better soon and you can re-schedule.

You should get all your money refunded between the cruise line and your insurance. RCL will refund your port charges and taxes along with any other charges you prepaid. The insurance company will reimburse the remaining balance except the cost of your travel insurance. Once you cancel you cruise with RCL they will send you a cancellation form with all the refunds listed. The insurance company will send you a form that the doctor must sign. Send the signed form and the cancellation form to the insurance. You should not have any issues getting a refund. Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

Another option would be to call the Cruiseline and tell them your situation. My brother-in-law had a medical emergency once - they had him fax papers from the doctor to prove the situation and they let him rebook the cruise at no cost or penalty. Can't hurt to ask.

Edited by Tralynn222

So sorry about your wife. I hope she's better soon.

Yes, you will be able to get a full refund (minus the cost of the insurance of course). The doctor will need to fill out paperwork that you will need to submit.

We had to cancel a cruise years ago and got it fully refunded. Good luck.

We just cancelled and made and insurance claim. My Mom was in a really bad way and for us it was a bad time to be looking for another cruise. They emailed us a form for the doctor to sign and I had to call Royal for an itemized list of non-refundable expenses. Prayers for your wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

another good reason to develop a relationship with a TA. few years ago we had to cancel due to a death in the family just three days prior to sailing.

one phone call to our TA and a copy of the death certificate we had all our money back.

she even called Delta and got my FF miles reinstated.

If you are within 15-29 days of departure you can still get a 25% refund from Royal Caribbean. if you are certain that you will not be able to go, cancel before the 15 day mark. Your insurance company may not reimburse you for everything if you don't cancel and get any partial refund you can.

My wife was hospitalized a few weeks before a cruise we had planned in 2005. We were able to get a partial refund from Royal Caribbean and all other non-reimbursable expenses from our insurance company.

If you are within 15-29 days of departure you can still get a 25% refund from Royal Caribbean. if you are certain that you will not be able to go, cancel before the 15 day mark. Your insurance company may not reimburse you for everything if you don't cancel and get any partial refund you can.

This is the best advice. Be proactive and cancel immediately. We had to cancel on day of cruise due to sudden illness. Travel Guard was easy to work with and very prompt with refund.

Your insurance should cover it, hard to say without seeing the precise wording of your policy, but almost every policy would cover it, unless there is some sort of pre-existing element.

Ok so I will go ahead and cancel I thought I'd have to wait to cancel until she is released from hospital in order for insurance to be covered

If you know she can't travel you should cancel as soon as possible as the penalties increase as time goes on. The insurance certificate should have the guidelines written in the policy.

Edited by marci22

We had a similar experience 2 years ago except it was my husband who got suddenly ill and it was 4 days before we were leaving for our cruise. I called our TA and she got everything I needed to me right away. We got all of the costs except the amount that RCCL refunded to us.

Praying for you and your wife. Hope she recovers quickly. It's funny how your perspective changes when something like this happens.

Another option would be to call the Cruiseline and tell them your situation. My brother-in-law had a medical emergency once - they had him fax papers from the doctor to prove the situation and they let him rebook the cruise at no cost or penalty. Can't hurt to ask.

No reason. The OP can cancel and be reimbursed

I called and spoke to Costco travel today explained situation and they called royal spoke to supervisor Victoria and they are going to switch our cruise to 3/19/17 fare increase of 220 but I feel that is better then losing 75% of 1700

I called and spoke to Costco travel today explained situation and they called royal spoke to supervisor Victoria and they are going to switch our cruise to 3/19/17 fare increase of 220 but I feel that is better then losing 75% of 1700

You have travel insurance. Why do you think you would lose money?

Why were you going to lose 75% if you have insurance?